Type keyword(s) to search

S18.E03: Auditions Part 3

• Start Topic

This week’s episode sees a determined hopeful defy the odds for a chance to audition in front of the judges, resulting in an Idol first. Then, a fan favorite from season one returns for another chance to wow the judges, while another hopeful’s great-grandmother fulfills her lifelong dream of meeting Lionel Richie.

A few good female singers tonight. I really liked Shannon, who sang the Etta James song. The first girl, Kimmy, was good, too. 

On a different note, who listens to "Wind Beneath My Wings" and decides, 'You know what? That song needs to be even slower."?

• LOL 2
  • Love 4
(edited)

IMO, that was a totally bogus rejection of the SM influencer who sang a-ha. Okay, yes, he gave "Blue Steel" (he reminded me then of the "Liberty, biberty" actor), but he sang great, and we all know "Take On Me" is a tough song. Nothing "Broadway"---ahem---about it or his voice. I wish him well.

I think that the Hispanic girl (Kimmy Gabriela) and the 16-year-old with the big eyelashes  (Lauren S. from Vancouver Island) were terrific.

I could watch Jordan's thighs, I mean, "Domino's" commercial all night long. 😇🍕

Edited by LennieBriscoe
  • Love 2

I'd love to see Idol ban 'Rise Up'- it's the new 'I Will Always Love You'  or 'And I Am Telling You'. Courtney was pretty good, but really- Ryan cried for that??

Liked Lauren Spencer-Smith (the younger, fatter Lauren of the night) and Dillon, although I hope he doesn't sing everything with that quavery quality. 

• Love 6

Luke Bryan made the understatement of the century:

"Katy needs attention"

I liked Courtney, but I didn't understand the need for the underdog set-up.  I'm pretty sure lots of people who are turned away have waited around all day without getting in to see the judges.  She's talented enough so why the extra drama?

I am thoroughly embarrassed to say that I fell for Dillon hook, line and sinker.  I'm not generally easily swayed, but he checked all the boxes for me in a way that no recent contestant has managed to do.  Now I suppose I have to keep watching...

22 hours ago, Vermicious Knid said:

The Blue Steel guy was a plant right? RIGHT!?

For his sake, I hope so.  It was so uncomfortable to watch knowing that he was straight up being mocked for being such a tool.

• Love 1

So was country singer girl using her 26 year older songwriter fiancé for his contacts in the industry (in which case why was she even trying out on Idol), or was he using her so he could have a cute younger girl on his arm.  I’m so jaded, sorry. 

(edited)
8 hours ago, LennieBriscoe said:

Awww, not even Kimmy the Hispanic Girl With the Musician Padre?

Even if that was something I watched a day ago, I had to look her up due to forgetting; I wasn't a fan. I find it really easy to get overly annoyed by contestants on these kinds of shows, probably because I'll know how I feel about them within 30 seconds and then every subsequent performance will be stacking on top of my negative outlook due to them having to act more like a performer, where every annoying quality is magnified. It's very rare where someone's voice will be the reason why I like them, since the usual benchmark is just "yep, they can sing" instead of actively wanting to hear more. Also, even though in all of my posts on this site there are a few catcall esque remarks about women, I'm almost never a fan of any girl on Idol, despite most of them being attractive, I never find their personalities to be interesting or likeable. My fandom of the guys is similarly regarded in who I could imagine being friends with, although unlike with the women, what they'd look like naked has never been a factor.

Edited by InternetToughGuy
  • LOL 1

No one will care but I just have to say it - I can't stand Katy Perry as a judge.  I don't know why they keep her on this show. I will start watching when we get to the actual competition - I do like listening to the performers.

• Love 5

No episode 4? I'm amazing myself by saying my favorite audition last night was Zack, the mud-covered 'Deliverance' extra. It was like taking a time machine trip to about 1840 or something. No, it's not American Idol stuff, but fascinating and very, very real.

I also liked Ren and Olivia, although I'm sure perky and perfect Makayla and Sonia will be the chosen ones. 

• Love 1
21 hours ago, ChristmasJones said:

No one will care but I just have to say it - I can't stand Katy Perry as a judge.  I don't know why they keep her on this show.

I care!!   I loathe her as a judge.  Everything is all about her, and her pratfalls and goofy faces belong on a very very bad sitcom.   It got so bad last night that I literally changed the channel.   Then I deleted the show from my DVR.   And all because of Katy Perry.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Ladyrain said:

I care!!   I loathe her as a judge.  Everything is all about her, and her pratfalls and goofy faces belong on a very very bad sitcom.   It got so bad last night that I literally changed the channel.   Then I deleted the show from my DVR.   And all because of Katy Perry.

Thank you! Its nice to have some solidarity in my excruciating disdain for Katy Perry.  I think she's a decent performer and has some catchy tunes. Not really my taste, but she's clearly been a success in pop music.  Anyway... until she was on this show, I never knew anything about her personality at all.  OMG once I first started watching her on here I was astounded they would hire her for this gig!!! I am amazed at how amazingly not funny she is.  ARGHHHH I will be fast forwarding through every minute she is on the screen.

• Love 1