Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E15: Off the Grid (1)

jewel21
  • Start Topic

A series of teen opioid overdoses sees Severide partner with Sean Roman, but he begins to suspect there's more to the story than his old friend is telling him. Casey tries to be there for Brett as she considers her birth mother's offer to meet. This crossover event continues in Chicago P.D. S07E15.

Airdate: 02/26/2020

The couple knew Jake lives in apt 2B (which is right next to them, door cracked open) and didn't bother to walk in to see if his parents are home to inform them. Maybe that girl on the couch would have been alive if they walked in earlier.

Travis ran like "the Flash" out the apartment. Good to know the star point guard is in serious shape (but couldn't out run a bullet at the end). Was Severide obligated to radio down for someone to stop him?

When the girl said this "old" guy, I was expecting her to say 45 - 50. She said 25. 

Riz suspected Severide and Roman to be cops and still let them in (while holding a gun and smoking). Not a smart man.

Why did Roman bother unload the bullet in the chamber, 10 seconds later he shoots at the bottle?

Could someone take the gun out of Roman's hand. He just tucks it in his waist.

The fire was put out and then the police arrived. Isn't there a rule to not go in until the shooting threat has been cleared?

What's the point of having Sylvie's mom pregnant? She and Casey can raise the kid when the mom and husband meets their unfortunate accident.

Only an opioid crisis can keep Severide and Stella apart for an episode. 

If Severide wants to be mayor of Chicago, he has enough accomplishments to put on his resume. Now add tracking drug dealers on his off days and stopping a kid pulling fire alarms.

Edited by mxc90
  • Love 3

I don't care about Sylvie. I especially don't care about her pregnant 46yo birth mom. Dumb. I was almost expecting birth mom to say "oh, by the way, since I'm 46, this fetus may need your kidney so that's why I looked you up."

• Love 4

I don't care about the guy from PD. This show can't manage the characters it has, so how about we not give oodles of screentime to a bygone character from another show. 

I'm tired of Severide being a cop. Zero shits given. 

Casey and Brett's chemistry is so hit and miss.  I can't stand her when she's a soft spoken wallflower, and I can't stand Platitude Casey. Christ, his birth mom went to prison when he was 16 and the writers couldn't throw in a line about that? Do they even remember?

How did Casey so easily escape the ceiling collapsing on him? By virtue of St. Severide screaming at him? Just kill him off, FFS.

Donna still exists!

• Love 4
4 hours ago, mxc90 said:

When the girl said this "old" guy, I was expecting her to say 45 - 50. She said 25. 

Heh.  Me too.  And the school isn't concerned about an ex-student hanging around the parking lot every day?  And how old is Roman, when he has a 17 year old sister?

Yeah, the PD is supposed to clear the scene first, but when you have plot armor you can do what's necessary.  However, if it's safe enough for two ff's to conduct a search, wouldn't it be helpful to push a hoselay in along with them, just to keep the fire off their backs for a bit?

Roman was seen moving away from the house with a pistol in his hand, after the shots are fired.  Yet, no one thinks to ask him to put the gun down, nor do the other cops do anything about it.  Yes, he's a former cop, but the gun was one he took from the guy in the apartment.  If it was stolen (likely) and/or had been used in a crime recently, guess who lands in the spotlight?

I liked how Roman just left Severide at that apartment complex all by himself, after the ruckus in the apartment.  Better find the bus stop in a hurry.

Edited by Dowel Jones
  • Love 3
5 hours ago, Dowel Jones said:
9 hours ago, mxc90 said:

Heh.  Me too.  And the school isn't concerned about an ex-student hanging around the parking lot every day?  And how old is Roman, when he has a 17 year old sister?

Well 25 is old to a high schooler lol.  And I was saying the same thing about his 17 year old sister. The actor is 44 but I’m guessing he plays younger.  Just like the actor that plays Sylvie’s birth mom is in her 50’s playing 46.  

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Dowel Jones said:

And how old is Roman, when he has a 17 year old sister?

We'll ask the same question about Sylvie when the show reaches its 25th season!

Edited by mxc90
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1

Can someone remind me why Roman left PD in the first place?  He said something about injury but I honestly don't recall.  The injury was significant enough that he couldn't be a cop anymore?  Why San Diego?  I guess if you aren't a cop you want to get out of Chicago weather and go somewhere warm?  Did he always talk in that mumbling hard to understand manner, or is that the actor's attempt to convey some sort of tortured and tired soul?

Sylvie can go.  I don't care about the birth mother and it's just a dumb storyline.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but this episode made me miss the lightheartedness of Cruz, Hermann, Mouch, etc.

• Useful 1

I did like Brian Geraghty on PD.  

Why he left was recently explained by Country Living

The actor who portrayed the officer, Brian Geraghty, had only been on the show for two seasons when NBC announced that he would not be returning as a series regular. With so much potential for his character, Brian's abrupt exit was devastating to viewers. Here's the truth about why he left Chicago P.D.

While most One Chicago stars sign a seven-year contract, Brian negotiated a year-to-year commitment. The actor was able to pull this off because Dick Wolf—the genius behind the Chicago franchise—specifically wanted him to play Roman's character.

"Brian had a lot of choices, and we courted him and pitched him what the show could be, and we were crossing our fingers that we'd get him," executive producer Matt Olmstead explained to TV Line in 2016. "He is the most level-headed, decent human being you're going to encounter, and he's upfront. He was like, 'I don’t know if I can commit to a seven-year contract. This sounds great, but I’ve got to take it year by year,' which Dick doesn’t do very often. But the deal was made."

So, when Brian gave showrunners a "heads up" halfway through season 3 that he wanted to leave Chicago P.D. to pursue other projects, there were no hard feelings.

Fast forward to today

The former patrol officer will return to Chicago P.D. for a crossover episode with Chicago Fire on February 26. While Brian has no long-term plans to come back to the show, he has maintained a great relationship with the producers—specifically Dick Wolf—and will always be open to guest appearances.

"Anytime Uncle Dick calls, I drop what I’m doing," Brian explained.roman-chicago-pd-1582738680.thumb.jpg.e82c17a1a0d075e563651590f9704628.jpg

• Useful 2

Enough with these damn cross-overs already, I'm barely hanging on by a thread. 

I'd even be willing to sit through them if the appearance of Voight didn't send me into epileptic fits of rage. Especially when he's in a scene with Casey. Hey, remember that time Voight paid some street thug to kill Casey? And remember when he planted those drugs in Casey's house? How is he even still a cop? If the P.D. is that corrupt why would they even have a show about it? 

Oh, I guess I'm supposed to forget about that huh? Supposed to let that go I guess.

I can't stand Platitude Casey. Christ, his birth mom went to prison when he was 16 and the writers couldn't throw in a line about that? Do they even remember?

I didn't. Thanks for the reminder. Clearly the writers have the memory retention of goldfish.

• Love 2

Hey, remember that time Voight paid some street thug to kill Casey? And remember when he planted those drugs in Casey's house? How is he even still a cop? If the P.D. is that corrupt why would they even have a show about it? 

YES!  I remember.  I think we all remember.  Do the writers/producers think we all have the attention span of a gnat?  Chicago Fire made me hate Voight and now I'm supposed to take him seriously by watching his show?  Not in a million years.

Unpopular opinion: I like Sylvie. (ducking).

• Love 2

I like Sylvie better than Gabby, not that that's saying much. I also like her better than Foster. I don't know where they're going with Sylvie and Casey. I feel like they are keeping Casey in a holding pattern in case Gabby comes back. Monica Raymund is on another show now. God willing, she'll stay there.  But maybe the writers are willing to settle for scraps like a guest appearance once per season. Poor Casey, and poor Jesse Spencer. The writers are so married to the idea of Casey and Gabby as some sort of super couple they've stuck this character in the deep freeze.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, limecoke said:

Unpopular opinion: I like Sylvie. (ducking).

I mostly like Sylvie but I don't think the actress is leading lady caliber. She has no intensity or depth. And now she's paired off with a character who isn't allowed to have a personality. They're boring.

• Love 3
18 hours ago, dovegrey said:

I mostly like Sylvie but I don't think the actress is leading lady caliber. She has no intensity or depth. And now she's paired off with a character who isn't allowed to have a personality. They're boring.

The thing is most people are boring. Not everyone can be a superhero like Severide.

I am remember when they said a Supreme Court nominee was stupid and a Senator said stupid people need to be represented too! 

Sylvie carries the torch for attractive bland boring people.

50 minutes ago, The Ringo Kidd said:

The thing is most people are boring. Not everyone can be a superhero like Severide.

I am remember when they said a Supreme Court nominee was stupid and a Senator said stupid people need to be represented too! 

Sylvie carries the torch for attractive bland boring people.

...I think Severide is one of the most boring characters on the show, regardless of how often the writers give him major storylines and ridiculous shit to do. He has crybaby mode, blank stare mode, creepy-romantic blank stare mode, and blank expression firecop mode.  I laughed out loud when Benny died and the camera lingered on Taylor Kinney straining to leak out one tear. I don't get how he or the character are so popular. (He ain't good looking, either, IMO.)

As characters, Brett and Severide are okay (used to be okay?), but the actors are less than compelling. And there's some decent talent that's going to waste (Walker, Minoso, Stolte and even Spencer) in favor of the nonstop St. Severide gloryfests.

This episode was meh to me. They were trying too hard with this crossover. Getting involved in a drug case. That's not even remotely close to what falls under the CFD perview. What a coincidence that Donna works at the same high school where the kids that OD'd are from, and where Roman's sister also went to. And Severide helping an ex-cop bang down doors in a drug investigation on his off time is just too much. He tells Intelligence that Roman is back, and now they all have to meet in the common room of Firehouse 51 to discuss the next move in a drug investigation? Come on. This crossover was just overkill.

As for the rest of the episode, I'm really getting bored of Sylvie's adoption mother storyline. I like her character, but I hate this storyline. Not to mention, the constant interactions with Matt. She's thinking about the difficult call, and Matt just happens to walk by to offer his two cents. She's going to see her foster mother, and Matt offers to drive her to Rockford. In the fall finale, it was made clear that Matt is still in a holding pattern because of Gabby, as pathetic as that is. So it'd be nice if they stopped trying to manufacture some chemistry between Matt and his ex-wife's old partner. The writers are trying too hard. It'd be more realistic if Cruz was her confidante because there is zero chance of anything happening.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, WinJet0819 said:

Not to mention, the constant interactions with Matt. She's thinking about the difficult call, and Matt just happens to walk by to offer his two cents. She's going to see her foster mother, and Matt offers to drive her to Rockford. In the fall finale, it was made clear that Matt is still in a holding pattern because of Gabby, as pathetic as that is. So it'd be nice if they stopped trying to manufacture some chemistry between Matt and his ex-wife's old partner. The writers are trying too hard. It'd be more realistic if Cruz was her confidante because there is zero chance of anything happening.

I don't mind Casey and Brett together, and I could buy them as a couple. There's a strangeness to it, mostly because of Brett/Antonio and, like you said, Casey still being hung up on Gabby. Plus, Casey doesn't seem romantically interested in Brett at all; it seems like the writers can't think up anything else for him to do. 

With how Casey has been written and portrayed since Gabby left, what I DON'T buy is that Casey hasn't quit the CFD and moved to Puerto Rico. He's a semi-widowed, divorced, childless 40-something who rooms with Severide (and Kidd!) and regularly goes drinking at his ex-wife's beloved bar; plus, he seems chronically miserable and has nearly gotten himself killed four times in two episodes. I could see him and his savior complex being far happier doing disaster relief work with Gabby and Antonio. This is what Derek Haas is hoping for (IMO) and why Casey's in a complete holding pattern. At this rate, I wouldn't be surprised if this happens at the end of the season, and Jesse Spencer pops up a few times in season 9 to fulfill his contract. Otherwise, I don't think I can take another year (or three 🙄) of Zombie Casey wandering 51, groaning "gaaaabby, gaaaabby, gabbbbbbyyyyy."

• Love 2

I'm confused...why is Roman not a cop anymore? And if so, then what is he doing in San Diego? When the character initially announced he was leaving, I naturally assumed he was transferring to the SDPD. But now we learn that isn't the case?

On 2/26/2020 at 11:49 PM, dovegrey said:

How did Casey so easily escape the ceiling collapsing on him? By virtue of St. Severide screaming at him? Just kill him off, FFS.

They also seem to have forgotten that Casey, a few years ago, had that severe brain injury, where he couldn't even fill out his own scene paperwork, and was practically in danger of getting killed if his head were even jostled the tiniest bit. 

On 2/29/2020 at 6:54 PM, WinJet0819 said:

As for the rest of the episode, I'm really getting bored of Sylvie's adoption mother storyline. I like her character, but I hate this storyline.

Agreed. Essentially the moment the character revealed she had been adopted, I knew we'd have to get some sort of related storyline down the road. TV seems unable to avoid that, but unless it's REALLY different in some way, it's been done to death.