Type keyword(s) to search

The Green Knight (2020)

JessePinkman
  • Start Topic

An epic fantasy adventure based on the timeless Arthurian legend, The Green Knight tells the story of Sir Gawain (Dev Patel), King Arthur's reckless and headstrong nephew, who embarks on a daring quest to confront the eponymous Green Knight, a gigantic emerald-skinned stranger and tester of men. Gawain contends with ghosts, giants, thieves, and schemers in what becomes a deeper journey to define his character and prove his worth in the eyes of his family and kingdom by facing the ultimate challenger. From visionary filmmaker David Lowery comes a fresh and bold spin on a classic tale from the knights of the round table.

Trailer drops tomorrow (also I made this topic entirely because I'm in love with that poster)

• Love 3

I like the mashup of styles from various movies based on Arthurian legends.  I even saw a few shots lifted straight from Syberberg’s Parsifal!

Lowery has definitely earned my excitement now.

I purposely avoided the trailer so I wouldn't be spoiled causing me to go in with no expectations.  I was blown away.  It's a dazzling film. If one is looking for action, this is not it, it's dreamy and surreal, a bit disconcerting (the score does a lot of heavy lifting with that feeling), but it's just exquisite film making. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, AngieBee1 said:

I purposely avoided the trailer so I wouldn't be spoiled causing me to go in with no expectations.  I was blown away.  It's a dazzling film. If one is looking for action, this is not it, it's dreamy and surreal, a bit disconcerting (the score does a lot of heavy lifting with that feeling), but it's just exquisite film making. 

I really liked it, but I was surprised at 

Spoiler

how little time is actually spent at the castle of the Lord and his wife, since what happens there takes up the bulk of the narrative in the poem while the adventures that lead up to it aren't really elaborated on.

Did you stay for the end credits scene?  I only heard that there was one well after getting home from seeing the movie and I'm curious about what happened, given the film's official ending.

• Love 1
19 minutes ago, Steph J said:

Did you stay for the end credits scene?  I only heard that there was one well after getting home from seeing the movie and I'm curious about what happened, given the film's official ending.

Yes, I did. 

Spoiler

It was a brief scene of a little girl playing with the crown before putting it on. 

This movie, you guys. So good. I'm glad my first time back in theaters was experiencing this gorgeous film rather than two hours of getting right back into the superhero groove.

To anyone on the fence about seeing this: See it. You won't regret it, and I'll wager you'll love it. And if seeing it in a theatre is an option for you, I strongly encourage you to do so rather than waiting to stream it. The visuals are gorgeous, and I can think of at least two shots that really make a difference when seen on a large scale.

I'm not normally fussed about awards season, but this had better get some wins. I loved the visuals, I loved the music, I think every single actor was well-cast. I really hope this film gets the recognition it deserves.

This was a gorgeous film!  And the score was just perfect.  I admit to being a little confused at times, but I am not terribly familiar with the source material -- just a passing knowledge.  I thought it was an interesting decision to make Morgana be Gawain's mother.  I mean, it worked, but I don't recall that being part of the legend.

I liked it quite a lot, in the end.  Reading a bit more about it after seeing it helped, too.

Dev Patel is also remarkable.  He's come a long way since Slumdog Millionaire and Best Exotic Marigold Hotel (which I love).  He's made some great choices.

• Love 2

I'm mulling this over in my mind.  It was absolutely beautiful, well cast, and well acted.  When it was following the traditional story, I was with it.  When it veered away, I thought the results were mixed.  It's a short story and I understand it needed depth to make a feature film, and the Gawain needed more of a character journey.  But having expanded it to two hours, muddied some motivations, and ended it there doesn't quite work for me.

(edited)

I had no knowledge of the source material, and I feel that harmed my ability to fully enjoy this. I could follow the story just fine, but I was unclear about why certain things were happening, or the significance some things. This looked great, though! Props to the production designers, costume designers, set designers, etc.

Edited by Trini
dropped word
  • Love 1

Okay, got some helpful context reading the Wikipedia page about the Green Knight story. 👍

Anyway, I thought this had some nice insights from Dev about the role:

How Dev Patel Became Sir Gawain for ‘The Green Knight’:

• Love 1
On 5/2/2022 at 1:11 AM, Trini said:

I had no knowledge of the source material, and I feel that harmed my ability to fully enjoy this. I could follow the story just fine, but I was unclear about why certain things were happening, or the significance some things.

I've read at least one version of the original story, and I've never thought it made a lot of sense.  Never could figure out the significance of the castle where he stops at before fighting the Green Knight, and what those people's motivations were.