Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E14: Shut It Down

jewel21
  • Start Topic

A series of mysterious gas leaks has members of Firehouse 51 puzzled and spread thin. Brett’s conflicted when her birth mother gets serious about finding her. Severide misunderstands his role as Cruz’s best man. Mouch bites off more than he can chew.

Airdate: 02/12/2020

So, 5-person Engine loses a firefighter, and Boden haphazardly decides to pull a firefighter from 4-person Truck? Which puts Truck down to 3 firefighters? And that goes on for at least two shifts, because Herrmann doesn't know how to do his job? Sure, why the hell not. The contrived sitcom C-plot demands it! 

Severide is a shit friend.

Casey is now living with Kidd? Seriously? I'd like to see him move out and renovate a brownstone again. 

I was hoping Brett's biological mom was named Nancy, as in Nancy Casey. That might've made the show somewhat interesting.

Who's Cruz getting married to again? Some invisible lady he made up in his head, because no one ever sees her, hears from her, or associates with her?

• Love 2

I was hoping there would have been "Serial Gas Leaker" on the loose for Serveride to hold his nose, catch and tackle.

Mouch has to be up for retirement soon. 

Yes Herrmann screwed up but Mouch should have thanked him because he wasn't up to date and could have embarrassed himself. 

Does Herrmann get a pick on who is the replacement? Doesn't someone just show up for shift?

Is it Gallo's responsibility to tell the mom it wasn't her fault without having all the details from the investigation?

I thought Stella knew Gallo's story.

With all those reports about gas problems around the area at different times, no one from CFD HQ took notice?

Stella and Cruz has to know if "Best man Kelly" is involved in an investigation (that comes first to him) and the bachelor party location search is a distant second.

Deep down Severide doesn't want any part of being best man.

Is the actress playing Chloe on another show, that's why she's hardly on and just mentioned? Or they just don't want to pay her until the wedding scene (if there is one)?

Nice of Stella to take on the role of the office morale booster!

Clarence probably told Herrmann a few times he wasn't feeling well/wanted to go home and Herrmann just ignored him. Boden took one look and sent him home immediately.

No much of Foster. And I didn't miss her.

That salon was packed. A lot of people got out of paying.

Did Cruz have a hard time lifting the bookcase(?) to free the woman in the salon?

Never trust Casey to take out the trash!

Edited by mxc90
  • Love 2

I enjoyed this episode. However, I missed the reason why they had to shut the door after each firefighter got a victim out of the salon and the meter couldn't drop below 15. Can someone explain why, exactly?

Severide is a shit best man. It must make Cruz miss Otis even more. 

• Love 4
17 minutes ago, jewel21 said:

I enjoyed this episode. However, I missed the reason why they had to shut the door after each firefighter got a victim out of the salon and the meter couldn't drop below 15. Can someone explain why, exactly?

According to Casey: if the gas level was high it would be too rich and not ignite. When they open the door, the level goes down and then it would ignite by 10.

Edited by mxc90
  • Useful 3
  • Love 1

Those numbers represent the percentage of gas:air mixture.  As mxc90 pointed out, too much gas = not enough air for ignition until the optimum point is reached. That being said, I, even with a nose that's on permanent vacation, can smell natural gas a block away.  Those people should have had plenty of warning to evacuate.

4 hours ago, mxc90 said:

With all those reports about gas problems around the area at different times, no one from CFD HQ took notice?

Paging the Wig from OFI...

Gallo really overstepped his bounds by telling the grieving parents it was the gas company's fault.  He could get in all kinds of trouble for interfering in an investigation.

If Hermann has unqualified personnel on his engine, he needs to do some daily training with his crew until everyone knows the engine inside and out, even if it doesn't do anything on camera. That is absolutely essential to good firefighting.

• Useful 2
  • LOL 1

This was a bit of a meh episode but I admit, I wonder if in the end Cruz won't get married but I do agree that Kelly does not want to be best man. 

I do agree with all the other comments as well. 

I do feel like I'm losing interest in this show, very slowly. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, NYCFree said:

While Dawson shows up preggers from the reunion bang.

I'd bet money on that.

10 hours ago, Dowel Jones said:

Those numbers represent the percentage of gas:air mixture.  As mxc90 pointed out, too much gas = not enough air for ignition until the optimum point is reached. That being said, I, even with a nose that's on permanent vacation, can smell natural gas a block away.  Those people should have had plenty of warning to evacuate.

Paging the Wig from OFI...

Yay stochiometric ratios. My understanding is anything around 9 to 16% is the ideal combustion ratio for NG. Mercaptan (the stinky stuff that's added to otherwise-odourless natural gas) in heavy enough concentration is unmistakable.

Now a better plot device for this story would have been for the gas company to not realize that their mercaptan injection system wasn't working for a couple of days. That would explain why nobody noticed before it went boom.

A few years back in NYC, in two separate incidents, someone illegally bypassed the Con-Ed meters, with the explosive results. A few deaths resulted. After the bigger of the two occurred in Harlem, gas leak reports soared for months, for every kind of odour imaginable. Everyone was on edge. In the second case, the people involved just got sent up for many years for manslaughter a few weeks back.

• Useful 4
3 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

In a past life were you a canary in a coal mine?  I can't even smell my own stinky socks.

I have had "friends" like that.   Say they will show up and don't show up.  Invite me over and then leave to go out with other friends before I get there and leave me hanging because he would rather hang out with them than me.  People like that have no capacity to walk a mile in any one else's shoes other than their own. 

This.

Severide has consistently been portrayed as selfishly up himself and dismissive of most people, unless he really likes/respects them - like Boden, Shay, Casey (but only after he couldn't get away with throwing his annual Casey Sucks tantrum), Gabby, and Kidd. I feel like Cruz is a walking joke to him, who doesn't really deserve his attention or time. Until the episode last season about Cruz getting the medal, he and Severide had almost no non-call interaction, despite Cruz being on Squad for four years at that point. Now he's Cruz's best man but is too busy and too important "saving" Chicago to text "emergency, not gonna make it," or just prioritizing someone else's needs and leaving the gas thing for his two superiors to handle. I don't buy any part of Severide/Cruz being friends. I barely buy Casey and Severide as friends, but at least they're established.

And, y'know, I'd be okay with this actually being a storyline, if I had some sense that the writers didn't think this makes Severide look even more awesome. It's not portrayed as a serious flaw in his character. It just makes him somehow cooler. Severide breaks rules and boundaries every other episode; berates superiors to their face (and is always right); has expertise that outshines all others; and gets inserted into storylines he doesn't belong in (like being Cruz's best man), on top of all the Very Special storylines he gets all to himself. He's so amazing that two sea-tow guys in the middle of Lake Michigan recognized him by name in 8x1. It's way, way over the top.

(Gabby was NEVER this bad, and I'd rather have Monica Raymund than creepy, dead-in-the-eyes Taylor Kinney.)

Who's Cruz getting married to again? Some invisible lady he made up in his head, because no one ever sees her, hears from her, or associates with her?

To be fair, we rarely see Cyndi or Trudy either. The wives and girlfriends aren't featured characters, so it doesn't bother me too much we almost never see Chloe even when Cruz is talking about the upcoming wedding. That said I couldn't figure out what was going on with him and Severide this episode. Was Severide trying to teach him a lesson or just being a shit friend?

That being said, I, even with a nose that's on permanent vacation, can smell natural gas a block away.  Those people should have had plenty of warning to evacuate.

Yeah, I gave that the side eye too. Unless the gas suddenly started pumping into the salon at a rate of a billion btu's per second I don't see how nobody could smell it before it became so lethal it knocked them out. That's same crazy Batman villain knock-out gas, that is.

While Dawson shows up preggers from the reunion bang.

Stop that.

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, Waterston Fan said:

I do feel like I'm losing interest in this show, very slowly. 

A little quicker for me!! CF used to be my favorite of the 3 and I'm starting to hate-watch it.

While the C-plot was pretty woefully set up, taking Mouch off Truck & putting him on Engine...I really did like Mouch and Ritter bouncing off each other, they had a good groove going on. I have to admit Ritter has grown on me quite a bit. I never disliked him but he didn't seem to have much purpose at the start.

Again Hermman proves to be chronically incompetent as a leader. He's flat out embarrassing 90% of the time, and that's being generous. Put Ritter on truck and ship engine holus bolus off to another house.

While I care so little about Casey and Brett I am enjoying the pathetically idiotic ship war on Twitter...it's fucking insane.😂

I really wish Stella was more than Severide's girlfriend these days. She was a much better character prior to hooking up with him. How did she not know about Gallo, when every single other person in the house knew. I get the vibe off her that she doesn't really care about anyone but herself & her man....either that or it was just a really poor plot contrivance that she 'suddenly forgot'.

Cruz....you are just painful & your best man is a dick.

• Love 2

I rewatched it with my SO, who refuses to watch it live. 😕 A few more thoughts:

I also enjoyed Mouch and Ritter playing off each other, but I can't get past the fantastical set-up for that interaction. Not one part of it made sense, either in terms of real-world logistics or policies already established by the show (i.e., Cordova being forced onto 81 by HQ in season 6 because 81 couldn't run with only 4 firefighters...). It was even worse on second viewing.

They've spent the last four years ruining Herrmann; get rid of him. I'd say to put Engine 51 back in the background (they're mostly the real Engine 18 firefighters, so keeping Engine 51 explains the random firefighters wandering the firehouse), get rid of Foster (send her to Med!), put Gallo on Ambo (he's waaaaaaaaay too emotional about kids in burning houses), and put Ritter on 81. 

What was up with Casey nearly getting killed three times this episode? Is that all the writers can think to do with him, or is this supposed to be a set-up for something - like reckless selflessness, or a variation of the Rice storyline if Baby Dawsey is a thing? Also, if this was a better show, I'd think they were setting him up with an alcoholism storyline, since we only see him at work or drinking at Molly's, and now he's jokingly snatching bourbon off his boss's desk. (I loved that, though, and wonder if it was scripted.)

I thought it was funny that Brett's already got Casey whipped and they're not even dating. I really think he's a dude who just wants to be told what to do when he's not at work. (Heh, I might be the same way.) I rag on Brettsey a lot, but I actually think they'd make a decent and potentially fun couple, but only if Casey gets his old personality back. Right now, they're both too polite and measured, and I still don't buy them as people who've known each other for six years.

In any case, I imagine that Brettsey will be the last inch away from hooking up, when Gabby comes back pregnant in 8x21, and then it'll be a reverse of 7x22, with Brett encouraging Casey to be with Gabby. All will be well, though, when that pregnancy-related aneurysm kills Gabby in 8x22 and Casey ends up a single dad, then Brett swoops in to raise her dead ex-bestie's micro-preemie kid with her dead ex-bestie's ex-husband in season 9. (I said it back in the mid-season finale thread: if Baby Dawsey really happens, then they're either writing Casey out or killing off Gabby. I could see either happening.)

• Love 1
19 hours ago, dovegrey said:

dead ex-bestie's micro-preemie kid

Here it is folks the next blockbuster in the "Chicago" cannon...

"Chicago dead ex-bestie's micro-preemie kid"

Starring of course; Nick Cage who makes his TV debut.

3 hours ago, juno said:

Here it is folks the next blockbuster in the "Chicago" cannon...

"Chicago dead ex-bestie's micro-preemie kid"

Starring of course; Nick Cage who makes his TV debut.

Out of curiousity, what does Nicholas Cage have to do with dead pregnant women, extremely premature newborns (aka micro-preemies), and/or Chicago Fire? What weirdo movie did I miss? 

(To be clear, I'm not advocating for a dead-Gabby-preemie-kid Super Soaper storyline, but the show is potentially barreling toward it, so.)

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, dovegrey said:

Out of curiousity, what does Nicholas Cage have to do with dead pregnant women, extremely premature newborns (aka micro-preemies), and/or Chicago Fire? What weirdo movie did I miss? 

(To be clear, I'm not advocating for a dead-Gabby-preemie-kid Super Soaper storyline, but the show is potentially barreling toward it, so.)

That is the brilliance of Nick Cage moving to TV added to the total Chicagoness of Dick Wolf. Just an idea from my not brilliant mind.

• LOL 3
42 minutes ago, juno said:

That is the brilliance of Nick Cage moving to TV added to the total Chicagoness of Dick Wolf. Just an idea from my not brilliant mind.

Well, to be fair, Gabby is a National Treasure.... 

Heh. Heh. 

I'll show myself out now. 😝

• LOL 4
  • Love 1