Type keyword(s) to search

Unsellable Houses - General Discussion

• Start Topic

9 minutes ago, DVDFreaker said:

The girls are really stupid, who puts a dog in a bag? 🤦‍♂️

I didn't see the episode. Was the dog in a handbag? I remember a House Hunters episode where the RE agent carried her small dog, Birkin, in a Birkin handbag.

9 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

I didn't see the episode. Was the dog in a handbag? I remember a House Hunters episode where the RE agent carried her small dog, Birkin, in a Birkin handbag.

It looked like a grocery bag 

The new dog was a mostly grown Boston Terrier, and it was an open top tote bag.     

I didn't see the attraction on last night's house, of making the garage/workshop into a media room.    I would have made it into a ADU, at least for guests, if it was allowed by zoning.    I didn't see any additional value from closing the garage door up, and putting a movie theater in the garage. 

• Love 1

Watching the reveal on the siblings house...what’s with the huge open space in the middle of the kitchen?  I’m not of the camp that says that every kitchen needs an island, but that just looked dumb.

Divorced guy with the girlfriend was HOT. Anyway, the tile they used in the kitchen, bathroom & family was retro and ugly. That said, the kitchen was an improvement then what was there before. The staging was beyond ugly. They were going with some ugly boho theme. Whatever. They can’t stage to save their lives. I would never hire them. They got the asking price but not over. That’s a switch. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, ByaNose said:

Divorced guy with the girlfriend was HOT. Anyway, the tile they used in the kitchen, bathroom & family was retro and ugly. That said, the kitchen was an improvement then what was there before. The staging was beyond ugly. They were going with some ugly boho theme. Whatever. They can’t stage to save their lives. I would never hire them. They got the asking price but not over. That’s a switch. 

I have not been impressed with their designs so far 

• Love 4

I really like Mid-Century Modern, and the house tonight was so interesting.     I loved that the homeowner built a main bedroom with bath, so her mother could move in.     They were lucky that the neighbor allowed the tree trimming, and it was allowed (a lot of places near Seattle, no trimming or tree removal for a view).     

I'm getting sick of the hexagonal tile, with the rays across the tile, they used the off white, or white version on last week's bathroom.   Then the dark gray or black with white rays on tonight's house.   It was amazing to sell for that much over list price.    I'm guessing that the price over list will keep going up.  

I did like the kitchen/dining changes on this house. 

I know they're top selling agents for their area, but don't act like spending money on the house is better than a superior marketing campaign, and getting the massive amount of stuff the owners leave out.   If you're going to put a house on the market, put a lot in storage, or get rid of it, if you don't want to move it.    Just taking the stuff out of the MCM house was a huge improvement.   However, I did like most of the kitchen remodel, but they should have refaced or painted the cabinets that stayed, and just changed the stove and range hood side to add more counter space.    The stove area remodel was wonderful, but I think just removing the owner's personal stuff, and staging the house, and adding the stove counter areas would have made a dramatic difference in selling quickly.    I didn't see any point to changing the laundry room excess space to a music room.    

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 4

From what I’ve seen so far, their renovations do increase the value, because they get better offers.  But, their staging is bizarre.  Where two items would look nice, they have to crowd 6 into the space.  Too cluttered looking.  And why hang an old hat on the wall?  I don’t get why anyone would want all that junk around in newly renovated house.  And putting that tile over the fireplace.....not good.  People want to be able to hang things like a mirror or picture.  They need to get some help on style choices.  All those different looks in that small kitchen....black, light butcher block, white with busy design, plus other grey cabinets.........too busy. Clean, white would have been more spacious. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 6

They do stage with way too many tchotchke’s. On the window sills, on trays, on tables.......everywhere. The house was amazing itself. Great hideaway with the  foliage and the awesome view in the back. Simply beautiful. Now, I do think the home needed to be updated.  Especially, in the kitchen. That said, the cabinets were way too dark along with the dark hexagon flooring. Of course, you knew there would be lots of offers and I hope it was for real because the lady seemed very nice. I want them to lose the kids and family stuff. I don’t care about their kids or them recreating the Brady Bunch (and, I’m a major Brady Bunch fan) driving test. Finally, they did a preview of the reveal, then the driving crap and then they showed the same preview of the reveal again. Knock it off! Rant over.

• Love 14
7 hours ago, ByaNose said:

They do stage with way too many tchotchke’s. On the window sills, on trays, on tables.......everywhere. The house was amazing itself. Great hideaway with the  foliage and the awesome view in the back. Simply beautiful. Now, I do think the home needed to be updated.  Especially, in the kitchen. That said, the cabinets were way too dark along with the dark hexagon flooring. Of course, you knew there would be lots of offers and I hope it was for real because the lady seemed very nice. I want them to lose the kids and family stuff. I don’t care about their kids or them recreating the Brady Bunch (and, I’m a major Brady Bunch fan) driving test. Finally, they did a preview of the reveal, then the driving crap and then they showed the same preview of the reveal again. Knock it off! Rant over.

I agree with all of this.  I really like Leslie and Lyndsay, but dislike their design choices.  Nearly every house they do, I’d walk in and and want to change.  The kitchen tile in the house last night was atrocious. And, I hated the fireplace and that wood “screen” next to it. 

• Love 5

The kitchen layout was improved, but why didn't they go with mid-century modern or more timeless finishes? Those floor tiles are so 2019, the square bathroom tiles in the kitchen with dark grout were ugly and the dark cabinets with brass hardware will be out of fashion in a year.  It was the foliage that sold the house at well over asking.  Who will listen to records when the washer & dryer are on?  They should have increased the size of the shower while tearing out the whole bathroom.  Many 2021-sized people don't fit in 1952-sized corner showers.

Edited by deirdra
  • Love 2

I didn't see any storage in the house.  There was no walk in closet in the main bedroom, unless they didn't show us.  I'm not sure there was an attic.  I know there was no basement.  I would have made th laundry room a closet of some sort.

That said I loved the house..the curb appeal was fabulous and so was the view in the yard. I wonder just how far back her property went and if it encroached on the neighbor with the giant tree.

• Love 4
15 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

And putting that tile over the fireplace.....not good.  People want to be able to hang things like a mirror or picture.  

You can hang on top of tile (or brick)...you just need a special drill bit and hangers.  

I agree with everyone about that tile in the kitchen...ugh.  If I bought the house the first thing I'd do is rip out that kitchen and figure out some way to make it bigger.  It was just too small.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, MartyQui said:

You can hang on top of tile (or brick)...you just need a special drill bit and hangers.  

I agree with everyone about that tile in the kitchen...ugh.  If I bought the house the first thing I'd do is rip out that kitchen and figure out some way to make it bigger.  It was just too small.

When she brought up the faux brick in the kitchen (which the owner didn’t know was fake) I thought they were going to knock that wall down to expand the kitchen. I’m guessing it was one of the bedrooms on the other side and they couldn’t give up that space. Even rearranging the refrigerator to another location in the kitchen didn’t help. The kitchen was still too small. 

• Love 3

I think sellers only care about the bottom line.    In a lot of cases, getting the personal stuff out of the house, and staging makes a huge difference.   Also, I'm sure the sisters having a huge social media presence, and having open houses gets more people through the door, and that refreshes a stale listing.    The MCM house this week was full of the owner's stuff, and it made the house look much smaller, and it's already a small house. 

• Love 1

I don’t mind the staging “look” so much because it is a nice change from the pared down, all neutral look that most of the HGTV shows have.  I used to enjoy this show (one reason...only half hour) but hate the familee stuff that is now shoved in.  Seems the network has a blueprint....

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Kemper said:

I don’t mind the staging “look” so much because it is a nice change from the pared down, all neutral look that most of the HGTV shows have.  I used to enjoy this show (one reason...only half hour) but hate the familee stuff that is now shoved in.  Seems the network has a blueprint....

Realtors tell sellers to declutter and the twins overly clutter with their staging. Go figure.

I liked it better as a half-hour show as well. I don't care that they are twins and really don't care for all the kiddo stuff, ala Chimp & JoJo.

• Love 4
32 minutes ago, CruiseDiva said:

Realtors tell sellers to declutter and the twins overly clutter with their staging. Go figure.

I liked it better as a half-hour show as well. I don't care that they are twins and really don't care for all the kiddo stuff, ala Chimp & JoJo.

I haven't watched any of the new episodes. Now that I know they've expanded to an hour and include a lot of family stuff about the twins, I'll probably not bother. I don't mind a few bits of personal/family info about the people on the show, but hate the Chimp & JoJo type sh*t. 

IMO these shows need to just get on with the house stuff, and spare me the "cute" kiddos and faux family drah-mahs. 

• Love 4

I think just removing the owner's personal stuff, and staging the house,

The hot Seattle market is doing a lot of the work for them.  I'm not impressed with either one of them professionally, although I like that they are not bimbos.

They must have gotten that gawdawful sun ray tile on sale.

Agree - get rid of the family stuff. As it is they both talk 90 miles an hour. Go back to the half-hour format; the show isn't interesting enough for a full hour.

• Love 4

While there is more family stuff than there used to be, and more than I'd like (I could do without any), I wouldn't say it's taken over the show.  I can just ffwd. 

As for the last reno - it was a great location with a great view.  I wondered about the main entry though - it looked like they came in off the deck through a slider or double door.  Is there a main/front door?  I also didn't see any garage or carport, and with that longer winding driveway, do you have to back out all the way?  I didn't see a spot to turn around.  Regardless, it obviously didn't impact the sale price at all.  That was a LOT over list.

• Love 2
16 minutes ago, aquarian1 said:

That was a LOT over list.

One of the twins mentioned the lack of inventory in the area. That, a view and the mature trees & bushes on the lot sold it.  And the original parts of the house looked solidly built. The buyers will probably have to live with those sunray tiles until they can afford to re-remodel the kitchen.

Edited by deirdra
  • LOL 1
32 minutes ago, pasdetrois said:

The hot Seattle market is doing a lot of the work for them.  I'm not impressed with either one of them professionally, although I like that they are not bimbos.

They must have gotten that gawdawful sun ray tile on sale.

Agree - get rid of the family stuff. As it is they both talk 90 miles an hour. Go back to the half-hour format; the show isn't interesting enough for a full hour.

The prices there are absolutely insane. The comp house and the featured house wouldn't have been more than maybe $300K here, and that would be in the most "desirable" parts of town (Charlotte). They'd be easily $200K or less in the suburbs and surrounding counties.

"The market" is a completely nebulous concept ostensibly made up by white men in the 1930s when they created redlining as a racist tactic to keep Black homebuyers out of white neighborhoods.

And yes, the sisters have used those hexagonal tiles to death throughout the show's run.

• Love 1

Went touring houses today without the Open House part. Damn pandemic. Anyone, one house was $399,000 & the other one was $409,000. Similar footprints & within minutes of each other. They were practically on the same street. I think they were a little over priced but I’m sure they’ll both sell quickly and over asking. That’s just the trend which is great for sellers and not so great if you’re the one looking. I’m selling my townhouse this summer buts it’s small and only has two bedrooms. They are selling like hot cakes around here so it will be interesting to see what happens.

I won’t be calling the sisters though. They overdo the staging and I’m still not sure the homeowners make out in the end. The sisters get half (plus what they put into it), and the owner gets the other half but they don’t mention closing cost and all that other real estate stuff. 

Edited by ByaNose
  • Love 1

I had a friend who moved to the Seattle area 20 years ago, and I thought the prices then were awful.   My friend was thinking about moving to Minnesota, and he could have sold for so much that he could buy a house there, for cash from the profits.     Then about 10 years ago, some friends were offered a job in Seattle, and had a budget of $1 million, and you would be amazed at how little that would buy in the area that they were interested in (they decided not to take the job).   

Now with the hot market, and low inventory everywhere, the area is so ridiculously expensive.      I really think that when people can move again, and when inventory improves, that area will still be horrible prices.   I can't imagine how anyone affords a condo or house, for $300k, and up, and it's considered a starter home.     

I suspect that the warehouse the contractor store things at, are used to stockpile things like the hexagonal tiles.  

The remodels that the sisters do, don't appeal to me.   I think they're aimed at young, trendy couples.   In an area where anything under $500k is probably considered a starter home, they are right about the buying pool trending younger.  I bet a lot of their buyer pool is people who are moving from some trendy, modern condo or apartment, so the buyers probably are more used to trendy, modern finishes.   

So on the episode from this season, where they were opening their store, I was stunned.    In the client home, they painted the fireplace tile hearth.   I can't imagine that will last, especially if they actually use the fireplace.    In the same house, the dining area gets a banquette, so now you can't use a rectangular table, so no more than four people are eating there.  

Mid Mod Oasis is the rerun tonight, the one that apparently has no storage.  and the few closets looked small.   If you can't add new closets, put the organizers in them.   With the smaller closet, that can add a lot of shelf space, and double your hanging space.  You don't have to get the super expensive one, I've bought the Closet Maid (laminate) type, and installed it in an hour or so.    The Mid=Century being on the market for six months without a decent offer is bizarre, in the Seattle area, even with that awful kitchen.   I think a lot of what the MCM house needed was to get everything off the walls, and packed and moved out.   It's not as if the MIL suite at the daughter's house can hold everything in that house, unless it's a 3 bed, MIL suite.    Also, neutral light paint on all of the walls, would have brightened everything up.   I never figured out if the homeowner had a bad realtor who didn't tell the homeowner how to sell the place, or if she tried selling it herself.  

With that house, I would have taken everything off the walls, painted everything off white, and put LVP everywhere but the kitchens and baths.  And take at least half of the furniture out, and clear the closets out.   Buyers couldn't even see the walls before. 

I absolutely hate the 'room divider' they put up.   They put in the French doors to the deck, and open up what they can to the kitchen, then they put that butt ugly wooden thing right in the way. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 2

Lynsday-"I want to go with the direction of young buyers"  "Leslie-"This is a first time home buyer for a young couple" Their stupid obsession of young buyers is getting old and annoying and they would not know that either 

Edited by DVDFreaker
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, DVDFreaker said:

Lynsday-"I want to go with the direction of young buyers"  "Leslie-"This is a first time home buyer for a young couple" Their stupid obsession of young buyers is getting old and annoying and they would not know that either 

They do say that a lot & it bugs the hell out of me. Too funny!

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, ByaNose said:

They do say that a lot & it bugs the hell out of me. Too funny!

It would be even funnier if 60 somethings looking to downsize came to their open houses and commented on the slap-dash tiling & grout, how cheap things looked, and moved some of the excessive staging furniture/crap to see what the twins were trying to hide.

• LOL 4
2 hours ago, deirdra said:

It would be even funnier if 60 somethings looking to downsize came to their open houses and commented on the slap-dash tiling & grout, how cheap things looked, and moved some of the excessive staging furniture/crap to see what the twins were trying to hide.

I would love to see it! 

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

I'm guessing that the warehouse they show is actually theirs, and the contractors pull from it when they need it.      The mid-century black with white tile makes me dizzy.   That's all I can see, not the view or anything else.   I saw no point in the 'record' room, next to the washer dryer.    I hated the doors over the washer dryer, I would never have them closed, and would probably take that down.      I finally figured out where the profit comes from, the homeowner gets whatever their profit is after they pay their mortgage off, at the original selling price.   Then the sisters take their investment money off of the additional profit over the original asking price, and then they split the extra profits over the original asking price with the home owner.   It was amazing to sell at $125k over asking on the MCM house.  

The Rambler tonight is not a rambler, from the video of the house, it's  just another suburban, cookie cutter, builder grade house.  So the owner tried to sell it herself, but didn't even fix the crumbling paint on the porch, or the other outside trim.  It amazes me that a builder grade 10 or 15 year old house with sheet vinyl in the kitchen, and I bet the baths, with carpet everywhere else, would sell for $400k.   

Who does paint test squares around a house, and never paints?   This homeowner is who.  There were a bunch of paint test squares on the kitchen wall, and another in the bedroom.   I agree with removing the half walls, and wood columns in the living/dining/kitchen area, and new light fixtures.    I'm wondering if the homeowner has done anything since she bought the house?   

The house looks better with the trim and siding painted, by the gray is too dark.   The living/dining looks so much better without the halfwalls, and the wooden columns. For the TV niche over the fire place, just put drywall, and don't waste money on shiplap.    The LVP flooring was a great idea.    I am totally over feature walls, and I'm sick of the Moroccan tiles in the bathroom.   I do like the changes to the main bathroom, changing from that tub to a shower is nice.    I would have gone a little darker on the LVP though, the really light color will show a lot of dirt.  I think the bedroom accent wall makes the room look smaller.   I don't like that wooden shower drain, looks like a trip hazard.     I still don't like trendy things like gold hardware, because when it's out of fashion, I would have to change it out.   I think the accent wall in the living room made it look smaller too.    Too much stuff for staging.    

If I was touring as a buyer, I would hate all of the baskets, and wall decor.    Are they going to remove the mounting hardware, patch and paint every single hole?   Or are they going to do a quick, and inadequate fix?     I liked the cabinets in the kitchen after, except the gold hardware.    I'm totally over the cement/Moroccan tile look too.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 2

The wall hangings were beyond ugly and it was everywhere. Baskets, Macrame & wicker mirrors in the living room & kitchen aren’t my idea of decorating. The staging on the deck was so sparse. Although, removing the railing & painting the deck did look better. The bedroom looked nice with the accent wall but again the staging was just dreadful. The bathroom update turned out nice. Of course, it sold for over asking but by only $5,000. 

• Love 3
17 hours ago, DVDFreaker said:

I really find it hard to believe that someone offered $125,000 over listing price “The list price is $610,000” “Let me offer $735,000 instead” I call bullshit on that

Oh, it is so true.  My daughter is a realtor in this market, and houses are getting 35 offers within a few days of coming on the market with outrageous offers.  For a $1.5 million dollar house here, you can get in another state for $350,000.00  

Everything has a review date now, and you better have a big offer with a raise the offer if out bid clause.  

Check out Medina, WA or any waterfront within 100 miles of Seattle.....it is mind boggling.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

The downside to this market is,  if the house is appraised at less than the huge offer, then these buyers are now having to come up with the difference of the sale price and appraisal price in cold hard cash.  And it is no problem for all them thus far.  Lenders will only lend for appraisal value.   And most offers if not all now waive any inspections, with a quick closing.      We get letters and calls constantly for the homes we live in.   I just sold our 100 year old 1000 sq foot home, we bought for $15,000.00 for 1.5 million $.    

Edited by Pine
correction
  • Useful 2
  • Love 3

I have young family members recently married and can’t even get a house. They have been outbid on dozens of homes. And, these houses are only in the $200,000 range. It’s crazy time for the sellers and heartache for the buyers. I’m hoping to sell in the next few months and cash in. I’m afraid next year will be a whole different story. 

• Love 1

Well in the latest episode even the homeowner got a makeover!  When we first meet her she was dowdy and had a pony tail.  Next we see her with a nice bob haircut.  At the end she was all animated with her bob haircut and new clothes!

I like the way they did this house...except for the staging.

• Love 4

The biggest problem with the sellers getting a bonanza on the house, and moving is that in today's market the winners are someone like the Mid Century modern lady, who was moving in to the MIL suite at her daughter's home.   

Then this week the woman was building a house in Idaho, so she had somewhere to move to.   If you don't have somewhere to go, you might have to wait for the market to cool down, and inventories to get better.  Idaho has some of the hottest selling markets in the country. 

I liked the structural changes to the house this week, but hated the staging, and the many baskets, and decorations nailed on the wall.   I also hated the accent wall in the living room.   The bedroom looked nicer though.   

I'm hoping the people we see on here have already bought, or they might be looking for another house for a long time.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 1

I just sold our 100 year old 1000 sq foot home, we bought for $15,000.00 for 1.5 million $. 

The "nest egg" comment - did she say her equity was $400k?  Sounds wonderful until one tries to downsize in the same hot-seller-market community. Where 1 BR condos cost more than $400K. One needs the equity nest egg, but the entire value doesn't buy a decent-sized property, never mind the need to pay for other stuff for 20 - 30 years. These hot markets favor prosperous two-income families.

I loved the design in the latest episode. A nice change.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, pasdetrois said:

The "nest egg" comment - did she say her equity was $400k?  Sounds wonderful until one tries to downsize in the same hot-seller-market community. Where 1 BR condos cost more than $400K. One needs the equity nest egg, but the entire value doesn't buy a decent-sized property, never mind the need to pay for other stuff for 20 - 30 years. These hot markets favor prosperous two-income families.

Yeah, I didn't understand this at all. I thought she said she was building a house near her daughter, so unless she was building something much smaller in a far less expensive location, wouldn't she just be breaking even?

18 hours ago, bilgistic said:

Yeah, I didn't understand this at all. I thought she said she was building a house near her daughter, so unless she was building something much smaller in a far less expensive location, wouldn't she just be breaking even?

Then I was thinking she meant all her assets. She couldn’t be meaning just the house sale itself, right? 

(edited)

The homeowner this week was moving to Idaho, one of the hottest markets in the country, and lately it's been even hotter.    She did say the sale of the current house was her nest egg, so maybe there was someway she was financing the house build.   Maybe an inheritance or maybe she took a lump sum when she retired, instead of a regular pension? 

The prices in Boise, are rapidly approaching L.A. prices, and Coeur d'Alene is the hottest market in the country right now.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
58 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

The homeowner this week was moving to Idaho, one of the hottest markets in the country, and lately it's been even hotter.    She did say the sale of the current house was her nest egg, so maybe there was someway she was financing the house build.   Maybe an inheritance or maybe she took a lump sum when she retired, instead of a regular pension? 

Idaho is getting as expensive as Seattle.  If you want to live near a lake and a town.  

• Useful 1

I like the show and concept, but I hate their style. All of the designs look so busy and weird. I don't understand why they pick such large, distinctive tiles for the flooring and kitchens and bathrooms, loud colors, or weird finishes for the fireplaces, etc. If I was buying a house, all I would see is an expense to have to replace something so obnoxious and not my taste. Wouldn't they be better off going with neutral slates? And I'd rather see a nice laundry room than like a music room with a record player? The sisters are okay, but they do over-enunciate which gets grating after awhile. 

It seems like a whole lot of work for minimal profit?

• Love 4

I was at the doctors office today and they had the sisters on. Ugh! I don’t recall the particular episode but they were egastic over an ugly backsplash for the kitchen and how it was going to attract the young buyers who were going to buy this house. Blah! Blah! Blah! Luckily, the nurse (saved) called me and I didn’t have to watch the whole show. The sisters are sooooo annoying.

• Love 3
(edited)
3 hours ago, divsc said:

I like the show and concept, but I hate their style. All of the designs look so busy and weird. I don't understand why they pick such large, distinctive tiles for the flooring and kitchens and bathrooms, loud colors, or weird finishes for the fireplaces, etc. If I was buying a house, all I would see is an expense to have to replace something so obnoxious and not my taste. Wouldn't they be better off going with neutral slates? And I'd rather see a nice laundry room than like a music room with a record player? The sisters are okay, but they do over-enunciate which gets grating after awhile. 

It seems like a whole lot of work for minimal profit?

I finally figured it out (actually a friend who is in real estate explained it).    The money the sisters put in for changes is deducted from the price they get for the house after improvements, then they split the extra profit with the homeowners.    However, the homeowner still gets the original market price of the house, minus commissions, and mortgage, closing costs, etc. are paid off, so the get the part left after everything is paid.   If the original sales price was $500k, and the homeowner owed $100k mortgage, that's deducted from the $500k, minus commissions, closing etc.  So if the house sale netted $350k after everything is paid, that's the homeowner's profit.    I hope that's clear, because I wondered why the homeowners were so happy to do the show.     

So it's their original profit to the homeowner, plus half of the increased sale price after the sister's changes.  In a time where homes are going for many thousands over asking price, that's even more money to the homeowner, split 50/50 with the sisters.  

I hope that's clear, because it's very confusing. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 2

Does one of the twins also act as the realtor, collecting commission as part of the closing costs?  So the twins get their input money back, half the increase in price, plus commission (higher on a higher-priced home)?