Type keyword(s) to search

"The View": Week of 1/20/2020

TheView
  • Start Topic

Monday, Jan. 20 — A special Martin Luther King Jr. Day show with Tyler Perry (“A Fall from Grace”); Maya Rockeymoore Cummings on her run for her late husband’s seat in Congress; performance from Billy Porter and choirs from the Cardinal Shehan School and Krieger Schechter Day School

Tuesday, Jan. 21 — Ken Jeong (“The Masked Singer”); “View Your Deal” with hottest items at affordable prices

Wednesday, Jan. 22 — Patrick Stewart (“Star Trek: Picard”)

Thursday, Jan. 23 — Terry Crews (“Brooklyn Nine-Nine”); Paula Faris (podcast, “Journeys of Faith with Paula Faris”)

Friday, Jan. 24 — Tim Robbins (play, “The New Colossus”); Susie Essman (“Curb Your Enthusiasm”)

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
On 1/18/2020 at 6:09 AM, Haleth said:

Nice line up!

It is!  Nary a Rep insight. Heehe i kid...Dems too!  And we could use a chuckle, because only Lady Liberty knows.  Left too soon, also meant ro add that i cannot remember what i meant to add.  Dontcha just hate when that happens?  My apologies, as you were.  I'll tell ya if i remember anything

Edited by Tammee
To sound like a dumbass (one word or two?) SEE??
  • LOL 2
16 hours ago, TheView said:

I wonder if they'll start testing Abby's replacement 

Maybe not for the duration of the trial..theres just too much madhouse to involve training or shadowing for the new person. I think it would may be too intense for them.  My thoughts anyway *shrug*.  Leave it the core 4 or 5 and the fans would be much happier.  

23 hours ago, TheGreenKnight said:

Paula Faris... I would have thought she'd be on Friday when Whoopi isn't there.

Its been Ana owning Fridays

• Love 4

Haha it must be lunchtime.  I read that as Arbys replacement.  I was about to drop to my knees, and clutch my head as i scream in horror NOOOOOOPOOPPOPPPP!   Then i re-read the post....la la la la ok now i get it.  Thanks Pit Crew!

16 hours ago, TheView said:

I wonder if they'll start testing Abby's replacement 

Edited by Tammee
Why it gotta post so fast????
  • LOL 2

Am I the only one who found Whoopi's introduction to this discussion weird? Asking if racism is still an issue since there were no people of colour on the debate stage?

Sure, that could be an issue but there are stronger cases of racism being alive and well. The children at the border, police shooting black people. The Muslim ban, the rise of white nationalism, white terrorism, etc...

But the debate stage is where the problem is? That just seemed like a weird thing to bring up. (and I say this as a black person)

• Love 21

Harrison did such a good job introducing the choirs.  I admit it got a little dusty in here when they were singing.  And Billy Porter joining them was just icing on the cake.     

Edited by lusinia
  • Love 5
31 minutes ago, Medicine Crow said:

I missed the Grammy-winning singer that they advertised at the beginning of the show ... who was it?

I didn't realize this before I looked it up - Billy Porter has a Grammy for Best Musical Theater Album for Kinky Boots.

Edited by lusinia
  • Love 5

This wasn't a bad show. Other than McCain's fakeness during the interview with Cummings, there was nothing horrible about today. I know most didn't feel either way about Abby, but I thought the show sort of felt empty without her there. I guess I just got used to the dynamic between her, Whoopi, Joy, and Sunny. It was similar to when Sara was there, although I agreed with Sara more often than Abby.

• Love 7

Wow that was such a touching show today.  Not a dry eye in this house when the choirs sang.  Listen to the children people!  They will rule the world thankfully.  Sorry.  They just really moved me.

16 minutes ago, lusinia said:

I didn't realize this before I looked it up - Billy Porter has a Grammy for Best Musical Theater Album for Kinky Boots.

He's got several different awards actually.  I believe i heard somewhere that he's one away from EGOT status, though dont know which he is missing

• Love 9
2 hours ago, blondiec0332 said:

Is there anything that isn't about Meghan's grief?

It was just she didnt think she could run for office 3 mos after the death.  In comparison to the guest Widow Cummings

• Love 2

Tyler Perry's studio is amazing, but I doubt it is the first black-owned studio in the world, Whoopi.  Africa does have TV and movie studios.  

I don't recall anyone clamoring for Meh-gun to run for Daddy's seat 3 months after he died (or ever).

Edited by deirdra
  • LOL 1
  • Love 9
1 hour ago, Tammee said:

Wow that was such a touching show today.  Not a dry eye in this house when the choirs sang.  Listen to the children people!  They will rule the world thankfully.  Sorry.  They just really moved me.

He's got several different awards actually.  I believe i heard somewhere that he's one away from EGOT status, though dont know which he is missing

He does not have an Oscar.

• Love 1
31 minutes ago, Tammee said:

Wouldnt it be great if MM could look to the Widow Cummings for inspiration

I got the impression that Meghan was actually in awe of Maya Rockeymore Cummings and wished that she had that kind of strength and fortitude.   

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Tammee said:

Wouldnt it be great if MM could look to the Widow Cummings for inspiration

The widow Cummings is just absolutely beautiful.. how old is she? Just wow..

Also there is a bit of drama with her running with Cummings' daughters endorsing somebody else.. I am glad the ladies did not go there..

• Love 6
6 minutes ago, Pearson80 said:

Also there is a bit of drama with her running with Cummings' daughters endorsing somebody else.. I am glad the ladies did not go there..

She's 48.  And yes, I'm glad they didn't go there.  Her primary is just two weeks from now, on Feb. 4.  There are 24 (!) Democrats running for the seat.

• Love 2
21 minutes ago, lusinia said:

She's 48.  And yes, I'm glad they didn't go there.  Her primary is just two weeks from now, on Feb. 4.  There are 24 (!) Democrats running for the seat.

Cool. 24! that is crazy to me...

• Love 3
8 hours ago, Pearson80 said:

I know right!  She absolutely glowed.  I hadnt heard about the controversy, whats the deal with that?

• Love 2
11 minutes ago, nokat said:

I knew I would enjoy today's show. Martin Luther King Jr., we still listen to your words.

My heart was full so I was less annoyed by the cow in a dress.

It was very very touching.  The music brought some tears. Yes, yes i am a crybaby lol

• Love 5
9 hours ago, lusinia said:

I got the impression that Meghan was actually in awe of Maya Rockeymore Cummings and wished that she had that kind of strength and fortitude.   

I did too.  She acted differently than normal.  Maybe some will rub pff on MM.  You know Mrs Cummings was very Michelle Obama-esque.  Like i could see them as college buddies.  She just has that same calm, cool demeanor.  I hope you're listening Baltimore.  She can help you...vote her in...

• Love 7

Uh....Meghan, you just read "where the polls are at" and a little over half are in favor of removal.  How does that translate into hurting the Democrats?

2 minutes ago, Haleth said:

It’s on.

Here comes Meg with her advice for Dems. 51% of the country wants Trump removed from office.  How could that be bad for Dems?

Jinx!  She's so predictable.  

Edited by lusinia
  • Love 11

That’s an astonishing number, considering people with land lines tend to be older and more conservative. I agree with Joy that the Reps are going to have to answer for hiding the evidence, especially as more and more comes to light.

Meg is calling the NYTimes “garbage.”  Whoopi doesn’t understand the concept of an endorsement and Sunny thinks the NYT should consider the black vote when endorsing a candidate. What??  They are all annoying me. 

Edited by Haleth
  • LOL 2
  • Love 10

Meghan bashed the NYT and called it a garbage paper and Joy defended them. Joy agreed that endorsing Klobuchar and Warren is dumb, since the two have different platforms, but the paper isn't trash. Meghan said she can do whatever she wants.

That opinion piece against Meghan has really done a number on her.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 7
  • Love 12

The hatred for Bernie on this show is disappointing to say the least. Whoopie gave a lecture about the electorate choosing their own candidate with their vote without input from editorials in newspapers and that no candidate is perfect.  Then, she proceeds to trash Bernie and elevate Biden. Those comments by Hillary regarding Bernie were unnecessary and hurtful.  She is better than that. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 1

"I can do whatever I want".  Like a 10 year old.  

First she asks Whoopie if she can talk about Biden in the elevator, and Whoopie said they would get to it.  A few minutes later she decides to go ahead and introduce the clip anyway.  Whoopie said she would come back to it after the break (and she did not look pleased).  The timing was the only thing that saved Meghan from a smackdown.

The View started the pushback against Bernie?  Okay, Meghan, get over yourself.  You're not at all influential.  Besides, didn't you just say the media shouldn't tell people how to think about a candidate? 

Meghan's sensibilities get so offended by just the slightest, briefest mention of sex.  You would think it was 1920 instead of 2020.

24 minutes ago, nokat said:

Is on the west coast, so it starts in two hours.  Will probably have to watch today's show onDemand.

Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't even think of that.

• LOL 1
  • Love 8
6 minutes ago, lusinia said:

Meghan's sensibilities get so offended by just the slightest, briefest mention of sex.  You would think it was 1920 instead of 2020.

Says the woman who literally wrote two books with the word sex in their titles. 

• Love 16

For West Coast people.  Be sure to check ABC in an hour.  Based on what they're saying on MSNBC right now, Mitch McConnell may decide to call for a closed hearing to discuss the rules, so the show could be on.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, MeThinkMeNot said:

A segment praising Biden for taking a picture with someone in an elevator then followed it up by bashing Bernie due to Hillary's comments.

It's so blatant.

They did the same to Harris, O'Rourke, Castro, Warren, Buttigieg, etc.. Bernie hasn't been treated any different. If anything, they're finally unleashing criticism on him. Biden is the only one they've never went after in this way.

• Love 16
10 minutes ago, TheGreenKnight said:

They did the same to Harris, O'Rourke, Castro, Warren, Buttigieg, etc.. Bernie hasn't been treated any different. If anything, they're finally unleashing criticism on him. Biden is the only one they've never went after in this way.

It is the way that they are criticizing him that I find off-putting. I am really surprised how fast Joy has turned on him, she named her dog after him. What is up with that?

• Love 2
33 minutes ago, Pearson80 said:

The hatred for Bernie on this show is disappointing to say the least. Whoopie gave a lecture about the electorate choosing their own candidate with their vote without input from editorials in newspapers and that no candidate is perfect.  Then, she proceeds to trash Bernie and elevate Biden. Those comments by Hillary regarding Bernie were unnecessary and hurtful.  She is better than that. 

It is definitely disappointing. I haven’t watched today’s episode yet, but I can’t say I’m surprised. However I did think Joy was a big Bernie fan. She had a crush and even named her dog Bernie. 

We’ll never know the truth about what Elizabeth Warren alleged he said. However, isn’t she the one who attacked his character first? 

I voted for Hillary, but I’m not her biggest fan and tbh don’t think she’s better than that. I think some of these women on the show and elsewhere are trying to get other women worked up about Bernie. If he is short with people sometimes or may have not articulated himself perfectly, those aren’t huge deals to me. He’s nothing like “the guy in the White House,” and I don’t buy that he’s this horrific person nobody likes. I wish they’d talk more policy for those of us who are open to all the democratic candidates and just want to learn more. 

44 minutes ago, Bronzedog said:

Meghan seems to be trying hard to start a fight and frustrated that no one's taking the bait.

I’m convinced it’s how she gets her jollies. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 5