Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E05: Choice Words

Bort
  • Start Topic

After a plane crashes in Atlanta, Devon is overcome by guilt at the thought that he could have prevented the tragedy. Bell, who was a passenger on the plane, makes it his personal mission to save the life of the man seated next to him. Meanwhile, Adaku returns to ask Mina a big favor, the Raptor struggles with telling his birth parents about meeting his biological father and Conrad and Nic consider risking it all to investigate a drug that might be linked to Jessie’s death.

Airdate: Tuesday, November 5, 2019

12 minutes ago, rhys said:

Grrrrr. I get so aggravated when people don't understand what the function of a godparent is. Lazy writing.

I was very frustrated with that. I was also frustrated that Mina felt like she HAD to give in to her friend. Mina doesn't seem interested in having kids right now, and I think that's what she was trying to tell Adaku and AJ. So I think trying to force Mina into being a potential guardian for the child if something were to happen to Adaku is a REALLY bad idea. The kid should go to someone who will want to raise them. If Mina's not into being a parent, then if she's forced into parenthood, it's taking a risk of Mina being a bad parent. You can't force someone to take care of a kid if they don't want kids. 

Ah....the Devon/Conrad rivalry rears its ugly head once more. I can see Devon's point about wanting to basically maintain doctor/patient confidentiality, but he's totally wrong about not reporting the drunk pilot. Even if it turned out that he wasn't the one flying the plane and went to go get help, it COULD have been bad and that could have traced back to Devon. I'm not sure if that would have gotten him in trouble, but I didn't like the conclusion that Devon came to.

That sucks for Bell, it really does. I'd be interested to see his journey through PT instead of having him go through with surgery. Cain is a frustratingly stubborn character. 

AJ's stuff is still really, really great to watch. I absolutely adore his parents. They were both cracking me up and it's a wonder how AJ turned out the way that he is with parents like that. Not the successful doctor part, but the arrogant part. I mean, I'm glad AJ's mother gave her blessing for him to get the closure that he needs, and I do hope that it's all that he needs. I'm loving this show's route with the topic of adoption. I hope they don't swerve into the cliche "AJ discovers the good parts of his bio family and decides that he needs them in his life" because almost all the TV shows I've watched have had that be the end message. 

I really, really hope that the reason they cut the end before Conrad could get all the patient information and break some rules is only to create suspense and he won't have that hanging over his career until he's caught. I hope Conrad took the high road. 

• Love 1

Very much agree that Mina should not be forced into guardianship just because her possibly dying friend wishes to have a child. A godmother may or may not become a designated guardian, but clearly Mina has dreams of her own and does not have time to raise a child right now. Her friend trying to guilt trip her about "who will raise my baby if I die?"---this child was fathered by someone, no? He exists somewhere and most likely has family members of his own who can help. And doesn't the mother-to-be have family?

i just love A.J's parents. I hope he looks no further. 

I'm a mandated reporter when it comes to children. That would include if I had proof that a child is about to get into a vehicle with a drunken driver. It should be mandatory when there is physical proof that an active pilot is drunk. My job requires me to report anything that could endanger a child---it's more than likely that there are children on a plane, but I'm not with them in an airport and wouldn't know about it. I think a doctor should be required to report this. 

• Love 3
12 hours ago, Arkay said:

I'm a mandated reporter when it comes to children. That would include if I had proof that a child is about to get into a vehicle with a drunken driver. It should be mandatory when there is physical proof that an active pilot is drunk. My job requires me to report anything that could endanger a child---it's more than likely that there are children on a plane, but I'm not with them in an airport and wouldn't know about it. I think a doctor should be required to report this. 

Except the pilot wasn't working. He clearly stated that he went back to the hotel after his visit in the ER and then he got drunk again which kept him buzzed the next morning. He didn't go out in his inebriated state from the ER straight to a plane. He was off work.

• Love 1

Well, after a 2-week hiatus, this episode was just meh for me.   It was a nice departure to finally see AJ's adoptive parents who, yes, are a bit older, wiser and understand the dilemma AJ's contemplating.  The mom gave excellent advice--and I especially liked the "birthdays and holiday---and every day in between".   She's a gem; Pops wasn't too bad either.

Agree with other posters with the entire Mena as a godparent.  I felt she made her reasons clear but the writers seems to want to push this storyline which isn't all that interesting--and could/should have ended when Mena's mom left.  I'd much rather see Mena in surgery, perfecting a new surgical procedure/technique/breakthrough or even continue top develop the slow, budding fun and playful relationship between AJ and her.

I, too, hope Conrad doesn't "break the glass".  It's a painful dilemma he's in but just don't go there (yet--as Nic said).   It appears the tension between Conrad and Devon is going to be a theme this season.   It's fine to have a professional disagreement/difference of opinion but now calling ethics into it is a slippery slope; imo, we don't need this manufactured drama between them.

Edited by cathmed
  • Love 3

I am so sick of Devon's sanctimonious ass.

I am tired of Morris Chestnut being an ass (I can't think of the character's name).  

Mina's friend was a selfish asshole trying to guilt Mina into taking responsibility that she didn't want to take on.  Did this friend get pregnant knowing she was possibly dying because the cancer treatment might destroy her fertility so this was her only chance, or was that some other shitty show I watch?  I think I watch too many shitty medical dramas because they are getting confused in my head.

Next week's episode is up on Hulu.  Not sure if that's a mistake or not.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
On November 6, 2019 at 1:00 PM, Efzee said:

Except the pilot wasn't working. He clearly stated that he went back to the hotel after his visit in the ER and then he got drunk again which kept him buzzed the next morning. He didn't go out in his inebriated state from the ER straight to a plane. He was off work.

That's very true. However, Devin said that his liver showed that this is a long-time chronic condition. Since he clearly is an alcoholic, and he regularly flies the Atlanta-New York route, eventually being drunk will collide with flying the plane. Much better to report first than suffer the consequences later. All that was needed was a report. The bosses would make the decision whether or not the pilot could continue flying.

• Love 3
On 11/6/2019 at 3:31 PM, yourmomiseasy said:

I am tired of Morris Chestnut being an ass (I can't think of the character's name).  

Mina's friend was a selfish asshole trying to guilt Mina into taking responsibility that she didn't want to take on.  Did this friend get pregnant knowing she was possibly dying because the cancer treatment might destroy her fertility so this was her only chance, or was that some other shitty show I watch?  I think I watch too many shitty medical dramas because they are getting confused in my head.

Seriously! He can’t see that their are exceptions to ANY rules, no matter how logical it may be. He won’t report someone who puts other people’s lives in danger because of HIPAA regulations and basically fancies himself the patron saint of western medicine. Okay, Devon.

As far as Mina’s godmothership is concerned, no one should feel pressured into parenthood. Why would you even want that for your child?? Her friend is selfish as hell.

• Love 7

So did we ever find out what caused the plane to crash? I kept expecting to see a news report or something on in the background after it was established that it wasn't the drunk pilot. The plane couldn't have gotten too high in the air if it (apparently) crashed back down on the same runway.

I had to laugh when they showed the one guy un-buckle his freakin seatbelt while the plane was crashing and he got tossed around. I mean...who would do that? Also, why wasn't Bell's seatmate wearing his seatbelt during take off? Guess the flight attendants missed him during their check.

On 11/8/2019 at 12:55 PM, Chanandler Bong said:

Seriously! He can’t see that their are exceptions to ANY rules, no matter how logical it may be. He won’t report someone who puts other people’s lives in danger because of HIPAA regulations and basically fancies himself the patron saint of western medicine. Okay, Devon.

As far as Mina’s godmothership is concerned, no one should feel pressured into parenthood. Why would you even want that for your child?? Her friend is selfish as hell.

Not only that, but according to my extensive research (a single google search and then looking at a chart in, but not reading, the only article I clicked on) it is permissible to disclose information that would otherwise be protected by HIPAA in cases where public safety is in danger are you are reporting to the appropriate authorities.  Devon's argument wasn't even really that it was wrong, it was that people wouldn't feel safe seeking medical treatment if they feared repercussions from reporting -- because lord knows educated middle aged white guys in the middle class are constantly living in fear of the authorities.  I was already starting to dislike Devon when they made his fiancee who was previously cool a spoiled flake to justify his straying, but it seems like the writers have gone out of their way to make him insufferable.  I guess Conrad has to have an enemy and it isn't Bell anymore since they've completely altered his character too, so this is where we're at.    

• Love 3
On 11/8/2019 at 2:55 PM, Chanandler Bong said:

For a smart doctor, Devon is incredibly stupid. Yes, there are rules, but there's also doing the right thing. You have a pilot that shows clear evidence of alcoholism and flying while drunk. He's putting the lives of his passengers at risk. What's important here? Keeping in line with HIPAA regulations and not reporting to the FAA that a pilot is drunk, or the lives of the innocent passengers that are flying on his plane?

His spiel about "When patients come to us, they need to know we will keep their medical information private, good or bad" is painting way too broad a picture. It's one thing if a girl won't tell her parents she's pregnant or picked up and STD and doesn't want the doctor to tell. It's completely different when a patient poses a potential deadly risk to others.

• Love 3

Was the Rotty ok?

Did anyone spot them put in anything to confirm the Rotty was ok?

On another note can dogs fly like that or did they just make that up to have him bark at Bell (hehe that was hilarious though)?

The Devon/Conrad thing is so forced and just giving Devon a bizzare personality transformation. 

Mina should not be embroiled in a horrible kid plot. Her friend is selfish and really unlikeable. We're treading on Jessie levels of unlikeable. Let's have a baby even though she can die/pass the cancer genes on and then let's try to dump the baby on brilliant and career oriented Mina who has no interest in babies. Like what the hell you little brat!!! I say this as a full time mummy who loves kids!

I do love the little Mina/Raptor exchange we got. I like how Mina hasn't magically decided she wants the kid but she's doing it to keep the bratty friend appeased. I just really loved their exchange. There's a lot of understanding and respect in the Mina/Raptor ship. I don't know if it's the writing or acting but it's lovely to see two brilliant people with huge personalities be so cute together 😍😍😍 

• Love 1
On 11/14/2019 at 4:55 PM, Mellowyellow said:

Was the Rotty ok?

Did anyone spot them put in anything to confirm the Rotty was ok?

Yes, he was. I saw him deplaning with his owner after Bell opened the door. Trust me, my eyes were peeled. 😊

• Love 4
On 11/5/2019 at 11:14 PM, Lady Calypso said:

So I think trying to force Mina into being a potential guardian for the child if something were to happen to Adaku is a REALLY bad idea. The kid should go to someone who will want to raise them. If Mina's not into being a parent, then if she's forced into parenthood, it's taking a risk of Mina being a bad parent. You can't force someone to take care of a kid if they don't want kids. 

Same. And while I totally get that they are BFFs, and that Adaku wants her child raised by a strong Nigerian woman, surely there must be someone else who fits the criteria and might actually have a life that can accommodate a child better?

On 11/14/2019 at 5:55 PM, Mellowyellow said:

Her friend is selfish and really unlikeable. We're treading on Jessie levels of unlikeable. Let's have a baby even though she can die/pass the cancer genes on and then let's try to dump the baby on brilliant and career oriented Mina who has no interest in babies.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Adaku is having this baby as a single mother, right? (It's been ages since this storyline was introduced, so I'm a little fuzzy on the details.) IMO it's incredibly selfish to purposely bring a person into the world when you've just recovered from a serious illness that you have a high likelihood of relapsing with, but especially so if you know that from day one you will be the sole/primary caretaker. Of course, things happen to kids in two-parent, healthy families as well; but to intentionally put a child in a potentially tragic situation just seems cruel.

On 11/8/2019 at 3:55 PM, Chanandler Bong said:

He can’t see that their are exceptions to ANY rules, no matter how logical it may be. He won’t report someone who puts other people’s lives in danger because of HIPAA regulations and basically fancies himself the patron saint of western medicine. Okay, Devon.

I'm curious what Devon would have said, had he known about Bell operating with various impairments at the beginning of S1. What if Bell had been his patient? Would he have said, sure, go take some patient's life in your shaking hands! I won't tell anyone because of HIPAA?

• Love 1

I just watched this episode, and I'm embarrassed to admit that I thought a doctor would be required to report a pilot showing evidence of immediate or long-term alcohol abuse. If the FAA is already aware and has him under some sort of monitoring, then no harm done. But if the authorities weren't aware, then this puts them on notice. Frankly, I thought it would (or should) apply to any position of "public safety"- pilot, bus driver, train engineer, etc.

Guess this was wishing thinking on my part?

I think I'm a little bit more afraid of flying now...

• Love 3
On 11/6/2019 at 5:31 PM, yourmomiseasy said:

Amen. Where was Devin and his high horse when he was busy cheating on his fiancee?

• Useful 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 2