Type keyword(s) to search

HOTD In The Media: News From The Citadel

• Start Topic

Just now, magdalene said:

Thanks. They must enjoy squicking us out. I think full nudity is always a distraction, it just distracts from the acting.

Under other circumstances, I'd be fine with it, but with this context, yeah, squicky.

• Applause 1
1 hour ago, WearyTraveler said:

You all know that full frontal male nudity isn't really that, right? Actors are fitted with a prosthetic penis for those shoots 

That was a fake wang in that fellatio scene?

TV is so educational. It sure looked real.

8 hours ago, WearyTraveler said:

You all know that full frontal male nudity isn't really that, right? Actors are fitted with a prosthetic penis for those shoots 

According to the director of last night's episode, Ewan Mitchell did that scene completely naked.  Of course, all he did was stand and walk out.  Having lurked in the Twitter mire, I'd read things about alleged leaks and was fairly disturbed by what I thought I'd be seeing but what I got was a beautiful, sad scene.

• Like 2
10 hours ago, magdalene said:

That was a fake wang in that fellatio scene?

TV is so educational. It sure looked real.

I am sure every once in a while there might be an actor that chooses to not wear a prosthetic, but they are all offered the use of it, and they even bring the actors a selection to choose from.

An actor might decide to be fully naked, and still wear a prosthetic on top, if they don't feel like showing the world what their real private parts look like.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
1 hour ago, WearyTraveler said:

I am sure every once in a while there might be an actor that chooses to not wear a prosthetic, but they are all offered the use of it, and they even bring the actors a selection to choose from.

An actor might decide to be fully naked, and still wear a prosthetic on top, if they don't feel like showing the world what their real private parts look like.

True, but that's not the case with Aemond's nudity, according to more than one interview with both the director of the episode and the actor.  Now, the other penis in that scene . . .

• Like 2
(edited)

Ewan Mitchell & Fabien Frankel on The Late Show.  The part about the horse is really funny.

Just noticed that Ewan's dark roots are already showing.  He dyed his hair for the London premiere of season two, but apparently isn't trying to keep up the platinum locks.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Thanks 3

I remember after episode 2 (the first Aemond nude scene with substitute Mommy) people were discussing his thinness, and I think that you can see how long and lanky he is. Even sitting in chairs, he's all legs. He's just one of those tall, thin guys we all went to school with. The same guys who could shovel food in and never gain an ounce? Yeah, I hated those guys. 

FF and EM are quite adorable in this clip. For Greens. 😁

• Like 2
(edited)
35 minutes ago, PatsyandEddie said:

Interesting take on the current situation  

https://apple.news/AWr8fANa2RfuN7Yu-I5K1cg

Some interesting points, but the suggestion that Hugh Hammer, who looks at least as old as Daemon, is the son of Daemon or Viserys is ridiculous.  Daemon is max mid-40s and Viserys, greatly aged by illness at death, couldn’t have been any older than early 50s.  In what universe could Hugh Hammer be either of their son?

Edited by KBrownie
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, KBrownie said:

Some interesting points, but the suggestion that Hugh Hammer, who looks at least as old as Daemon, is the son of Daemon or Viserys is ridiculous.  Daemon is max mid-40s and Viserys, greatly aged by illness at death, couldn’t have been any older than early 50s.  In what universe could Hugh Hammer be either of their son?

Baelon, the father of Daemon and Viserys, was a widower for many years after his wife's death so there was plenty of time for him to father bastards.

• Like 1
(edited)
2 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

Baelon, the father of Daemon and Viserys, was a widower for many years after his wife's death so there was plenty of time for him to father bastards.

I didn’t say anything about Baelon.  Neither does that article. 

The article ridiculously and specifically suggests that either Daemon or Viserys could be the father of Hugh Hammer. What’s especially illogical is that the writer uses “given his age” as some obvious proof that Daemon or Viserys is his father. His age is the obviously reason they are NOT his father. 

Maybe the author meant Baelon. I doubt it. If they did, it’s a pretty big error to make and makes them look like they don’t know what they’re talking about. 

Or maybe Hugh knows details about his parentage—specifically, his royal father. Given his age, the most obvious candidates are Viserys and Daemon, either of which would be a spicy twist.

Edited by KBrownie
3 hours ago, PatsyandEddie said:

I agree KBROWNIE . Hugh has some Targ by his hair but he could also be Ulf’s brother by another mother. 

Yes but that would make them Daemon and Viserys’ half-brothers. The article clearly indicates that the author believes that Daemon or Viserys is Hugh’s father, not brother.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
1 hour ago, KBrownie said:

I didn’t say anything about Baelon.  Neither does that article. 

The article ridiculously and specifically suggests that either Daemon or Viserys could be the father of Hugh Hammer. What’s especially illogical is that the writer uses “given his age” as some obvious proof that Daemon or Viserys is his father. His age is the obviously reason they are NOT his father. 

I was pointing out there was plenty of time for their father to have sired bastards closer to their age because I agree with you.  I apologize for not being clear.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
7 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

I was pointing out there was plenty of time for their father to have sired bastards closer to their age because I agree with you.  I apologize for not being clear.

I agree that it’s technically possible that Baelon could be either, or both, Hugh and Ulf’s father, I hope that he isn’t. It doesn’t have to be him. They could have some great-great-great grandparent that was a Targaryen. I don’t think there are any specific rules about how much Targaryen blood they would need to ride a dragon.

It would mess up, although I know the show is going to do whatever it wants, Baelon’s characterization, his devotion to and his devastation when Alyssa died. Because if he is their father, he either cheated on Alyssa or they are from before his marriage to Alyssa because they are either older than or around the same age as Viserys and Daemon. 

He never seemed like he would care about anyone else but Alyssa while she was alive. They were siblings and it seemed like they were always close from childhood. So if he had other children it would have to be after she died and I’m never going to believe either of them are younger than Daemon who was three when his mother died. 

But the show will do whatever it wants . . .

9 minutes ago, KBrownie said:

I agree that it’s technically possible that Baelon could be either, or both, Hugh and Ulf’s father, I hope that he isn’t. It doesn’t have to be him. They could have some great-great-great grandparent that was a Targaryen. I don’t think there are any specific rules about how much Targaryen blood they would need to ride a dragon.

It would mess up, although I know the show is going to do whatever it wants, Baelon’s characterization, his devotion to and his devastation when Alyssa died. Because if he is their father, he either cheated on Alyssa or they are from before his marriage to Alyssa because they are either older than or around the same age as Viserys and Daemon. 

He never seemed like he would care about anyone else but Alyssa while she was alive. They were siblings and it seemed like they were always close from childhood. So if he had other children it would have to be after she died and I’m never going to believe either of them are younger than Daemon who was three when his mother died. 

But the show will do whatever it wants . . .

I've never read the book and really don't care about its characterization of the relationship between Baelon and Alyssa because the show is a different creature.  I'm not wedded to what I suggested, but both men could be a few years younger than Daemon even if they don't necessarily appear to be.  They've lived much harder lives than he has.

17 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

I've never read the book and really don't care about its characterization of the relationship between Baelon and Alyssa because the show is a different creature.  I'm not wedded to what I suggested, but both men could be a few years younger than Daemon even if they don't necessarily appear to be.  They've lived much harder lives than he has.

I don’t agree that they’ve lived harder lives than Daemon. Just because they aren’t princes like Daemon doesn’t necessarily mean they had hard lives. Just as Daemon being a prince doesn’t mean he didn’t have a hard life. He obviously had more privilege, but that doesn’t mean his life was easy.   

The show might not provide any specifics for who Hugh and Ulf are related to. Yeah, Ulf said he was Baleon’s bastard but he could have been talking out of his ass.  Claiming they are younger than Daemon and Viserys would certainly be a choice.  

Whatever. No character in the show is going to care either way.

19 hours ago, KBrownie said:

Just because they aren’t princes like Daemon doesn’t necessarily mean they had hard lives.

Hugh is a blacksmith.  That's a seriously demanding profession but not necessarily a highly paid one in Westeros.  We've seen his home.  He's definitely had a much harder life than pampered prince Daemon.

We don't know a great deal about Ulf yet but he definitely hasn't lived the life of luxury that the royal family does.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

Hugh is a blacksmith.  That's a seriously demanding profession but not necessarily a highly paid one in Westeros.

Especially when the King stiffs you...

• Like 2
On 7/31/2024 at 8:57 PM, magdalene said:

Be careful out there, the finale has leaked.  Small voice.  It seems to be a stinker.

I actually wish I'd seen some of the spoilers, just so I'd been forewarned about how bad it was.

• Like 1
37 minutes ago, magdalene said:

Has it been officially confirmed that it will take another 2 years for the show to come back?

Given that this season took nearly 2 years, I think season 3 probably will as well.  Of course, season 2 could've used more cooking before being served, so to speak, so I hope it takes as long as possible if the end product is better.

• Like 2

Several shows have taken 2 years or more to come out with new seasons.  Pandemic and the strikes.

But also, this show is producing expensive action sequences which take a long time to execute.

The Rooks Rest battle scene took a year by itself supposedly.

So if you want more dragons, you may have to wait longer between seasons.

• Like 3
10 hours ago, magdalene said:

My feeling is they might to want hang on to Matt Smith and Evan Mitchell as long as possible because of their popularity?

That would be my thought as well but that would mean pushing a lot of narrative to season 4.

On 8/13/2024 at 10:01 AM, BetterButter said:

This was so much better than GoT and HotD combined that I'd rather these folks take the reins from here on out! Hell, I bet they could even finish the GoTs series of books because ain't no way the the actual author will ever do that either. 

• Like 2
  • LOL 2

That’s brilliant! House of the “Drags-on” is right. 

“Prince Daemon… who wanders through a season long Halloween special.” 😄

• LOL 4
On 8/6/2024 at 11:17 PM, magdalene said:

My feeling is they might to want hang on to Matt Smith and Evan Mitchell as long as possible because of their popularity?

Yes, most probably. Their popularity is going to quickly wan, however, if they put them in crappy storylines like this season. 

• Like 2
On 8/19/2024 at 1:02 PM, ferjy said:

Yes, most probably. Their popularity is going to quickly wan, however, if they put them in crappy storylines like this season

I don't think so. Those characters are iconic from the GRRM books fandom. I don't know that much about Mitchell but I think he has loyal fans from before this show. As for Smith, he has a long acting career and is beloved from his Doctor Who days.

I am willing to bet if next season is problematic once again the audience will blame PTB, not any actors, and especially not these 2 actors.

• Love 3
15 hours ago, magdalene said:

I don't know that much about Mitchell but I think he has loyal fans from before this show.

Yep, I didn't know he existed before I watched HOTD, but my foray into the Twitterverse has shown me that there are a whole bunch of rabid pre-existing fans from his time on The Last Kingdom.  I often feel inadequate in my fervor compared to them.

• Love 3
15 hours ago, magdalene said:

I am willing to bet if next season is problematic once again the audience will blame PTB, not any actors, and especially not these 2 actors.

We've already seen what happens when GOT fans get unhappy.  For example, Tyrion turned into an idiot.  Did people suddenly decide Peter Dinklage was a moron who should have been booted from the show?  Of course not.  Is anyone blaming Emilia Clarke for Dany's about face? Not that I know of.

• Like 3
(edited)
2 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/medical/george-r-r-martin-holds-firm-to-his-position-dragons-have-two-legs-not-four/ar-AA1pbMTy?ocid=hpmsn&cvid=1a0046330e104857bacecb8f88c85853&ei=24#comments

The late Anne McCaffrey would disagree with him.  She always said that her dragons, which had four legs, obeyed the laws of physics.

Well according to the Welsh flag they have 4 legs & that's all there is too it.

I believe it's Wyverns that have 2 legs which are a form of dragon anyway but Georgy boy is 100% wrong in his assessment, they were around a long time before him.

So after further research Dragons have 6 limbs, 4 legs & 2 wings while Wyverns have 4 limbs, 2 legs & 2 wings so maybe that's where he got himself confused.

Edited by Shrek
  • Applause 3
(edited)
1 hour ago, Shrek said:

Well according to the Welsh flag they have 4 legs & that's all there is too it.

I believe it's Wyverns that have 2 legs which are a form of dragon anyway but Georgy boy is 100% wrong in his assessment, they were around a long time before him.

So after further research Dragons have 6 limbs, 4 legs & 2 wings while Wyverns have 4 limbs, 2 legs & 2 wings so maybe that's where he got himself confused.

He has always maintained that the dragons are wyverns. He did write the books. I think he is thinking of the mechanics being like pterodons. Very loosely speaking. Also wy erns tend to be described as animals, not magical creatures. They seem to live in habitats that might make them easier to tame. Also they are said to be social. 

Edited by Affogato
  • Like 1
1 minute ago, Affogato said:

He has always maintained that the dragons are wyverns. He did write the books. 

Good to here we're in agreeance then. Just because he wrote a book doesn't mean he knows the difference but if he says that they're wyverns then it's all good.

I couldn't read the link @poserpina put as it didn't like my ad blocker but if you look at the link it says that he says that dragons have 2 legs so there's that & that's what I was replying to. 

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, Shrek said:

Good to here we're in agreeance then. Just because he wrote a book doesn't mean he knows the difference but if he says that they're wyverns then it's all good.

I couldn't read the link @poserpina put as it didn't like my ad blocker but if you look at the link it says that he says that dragons have 2 legs so there's that & that's what I was replying to. 

A very ling time ago I was at a convention where he talked about them. 

• Like 2
(edited)

never mind. I saw this charming interview with Tom Glynn Carney and tried to link it. Grumbles. I don't undertand why my youtube embeds never work here.

Edited by magdalene
  • Thanks 2
On 8/21/2024 at 3:11 PM, Affogato said:

He has always maintained that the dragons are wyverns. He did write the books

Okay, I'mma have to get in here and straighten this shit out. Martin did NOT invent Dragons or Wyverns. They've been around for hundreds of years in the form of heraldic beasts used throughout heraldry. Wyverns have two legs, Dragons have four. That is fact and it has nothing to do with this guy or his books. He can't decide suddenly that a Wyvern and a Dragon are the same beasts because they are not. 

• Applause 1
(edited)
6 hours ago, surfgirl said:

Okay, I'mma have to get in here and straighten this shit out. Martin did NOT invent Dragons or Wyverns. They've been around for hundreds of years in the form of heraldic beasts used throughout heraldry. Wyverns have two legs, Dragons have four. That is fact and it has nothing to do with this guy or his books. He can't decide suddenly that a Wyvern and a Dragon are the same beasts because they are not. 

He and I and no one ever said he invented them. He said the big creatures in his books  are wyverns.  this is the opposite of calling them ‘the same beasts’. Also, made up story. 

the Pern dragons were 4 legged, but also actually teleporting alien animals. These ‘dragons’ in this story are also alien creatures. They are NOT dragons or Wyverns per se, they are animals the author thinks look like the Wyverns in heraldry. He believes this would make them more likely to fly ( you may disagree of course) In the shows they decided on another look. Still made up characters, still aliens. 

Edited by Affogato
  • Like 1
(edited)
4 hours ago, Affogato said:

He and I and no one ever said he invented them. He said the big creatures in his books  are wyverns.  this is the opposite of calling them ‘the same beasts’. Also, made up story. 

the Pern dragons were 4 legged, but also actually teleporting alien animals. These ‘dragons’ in this story are also alien creatures. They are NOT dragons or Wyverns per se, they are animals the author thinks look like the Wyverns in heraldry. He believes this would make them more likely to fly ( you may disagree of course) In the shows they decided on another look. Still made up characters, still aliens. 

"One thing that I've gotten a little bit of controversy in lately is my insistence that dragons only have two legs," he said during a talk at the Oxford Writers House. "These four-legged dragons are a creation of medieval heralds who had never seen a dragon, because they don't exist. And they decide dragons have four legs and wyverns only have two legs, and people constantly correct me on that, and of course they're wrong."

This is a quote from the article I linked.  It very clearly does not sound like he's just talking about his own creations, which he can decide are whatever they are even though, by every accepted understanding of the difference between fictional creatures centuries before GRRM was born, they would've been wyverns.

Honestly GRRM needs to get his head out of his own ass, stop obsessing about shit like this that no one else cares about (seriously, does anyone actually care about the legs on the sigil?) and get back to writing the damned books.  If he finished them, we'd have something else about which to obsess and argue.

Edited by proserpina65
3 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

Honestly GRRM needs to get his head out of his own ass, stop obsessing about shit like this that no one else cares about (seriously, does anyone actually care about the legs on the sigil?) and get back to writing the damned books.  If he finished them, we'd have something else about which to obsess and argue.

Best and truest thing I've ever read about this guy.

• Wink 1