Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E05: No Small Parts

• Start Topic

When Grace gets the lead in the school musical, Wade realizes that the teachers are giving her special treatment after he hears her sing. Michelle and Ben persuade Delia and Forrest to volunteer for the chaotic snack bar duty at a school function.

Original air date: 10/24/19

What took me out of the episode was Grace getting the female lead with no theater experience. How is that a good idea? And of course, she's amazing. 

Delia and Forrest can't handle a snack bar? That was cringey. How did they get to be adults? 

• Love 1

My first time with this show. Walt Goggins fan. I thought Walt, straight available dad was The Unicorn. Am I wrong? Because seeing Grace and her performance (in contrast to her rehearsal), that was a unicorn. You know, magical thing that doesn’t exist. 

Had we seen her glamorous moment the way her dad saw it, and left it there, sweet. As is, about as believable as the two stooges running the snack tent. Oh, CBS. 

• Love 1

I have to say I really, really loved this episode.  I didn't think it was some sort of miracle that Grace pulled off a good performance.  Wade had said she was an amazing singer and her problem was confidence, not talent.  And she wasn't so good that, in my mind, it was unbelievable.  She just seemed to find her confidence.

I also appreciated that they didn't do another story with Wade's friends trying to run his life and actually gave them a story line independent of Wade.  Delia was a bit annoying, but in a way that was both intentional and funny.  I was a bit put off by Michelle basically forcing them to volunteer and Ben putting them into a job a that they clearly weren't made for  I mean, I can understand it the first time because he was in a pinch.  However, signing them up to do it everyone month plus tournaments was overkill.

• Love 9
10 hours ago, possibilities said:

I agree she was annoying, but I also loved that Delia, as a pediatrician, was unable to look the other way on kids eating crap food.

Agreed! And now that I remember that, maybe it is a good thing that they are now in charge of the snack stand.  I mean, the kids probably aren't too fond of their new choices of kale chips and kombucha smoothies (if that is actually a thing), but I can see Delia really going with it....

• Love 2

I have to take a minute to acknowledge just how incredible Michaela Watkins is. She exists all over the Comedy/Drama spectrum so well. Even though they're both half-hour single camera comedies her character here is nothing like what it was on Trophy Wife. Her turn in Brittany Runs a Marathon this summer was spectacular drama, and she played sultry so well on Hung.

It serves to further reinforce how terribly she was used on SNL. But unfortunately her stint there coincided with the height of the Wiig years when there was no oxygen for the other female performers.

• Love 8
18 hours ago, buttersister said:

My first time with this show. Walt Goggins fan. I thought Walt, straight available dad was The Unicorn. Am I wrong? Because seeing Grace and her performance (in contrast to her rehearsal), that was a unicorn. You know, magical thing that doesn’t exist. 

Had we seen her glamorous moment the way her dad saw it, and left it there, sweet. As is, about as believable as the two stooges running the snack tent. Oh, CBS. 

No, you're right. In the context of the show, the widowed father with a successful business is "The Unicorn" Apparently, that type of a fellow is suppose to be quite rare and desirable to women  ?

Although, if you read the thread from the 1st episode, that term already exists in the dating world, and the show has it wrong, but I don't remember if anyone said what it's really suppose to mean.

• Love 2

I like that the show isn't just about Walt and his dating schenanigans.  It's really about being parents and what that takes now.  I've had my share of resentment at other parents taking the easy jobs in those snack shacks.  And you always wonder if your kids are going to crash and burn when they do something like a school play.

When my daughter was in kindergarten we took her to a production of Little Shop of Horrors.  The minute that plant ate Mr Mushkin, she was out of there!  Wouldn't even let me watch it in the monitors.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 4

I figured that as the term "Unicorn" is usually referring to both a rare, or hardly seen creature, and the fact that no other modern family comedy has had that name.  It's unique, so the whole thing is kind of meta, from title to main character.  *LOL*

On 10/25/2019 at 1:07 PM, Traveller519 said:

It serves to further reinforce how terribly she was used on SNL

I can't believe I didn't realize that was Michaela Watkins on SNL and Hung, the first I really noticed her was on reruns of The New Adventures of Old Christine.

• Love 1

Delia was kind of annoying in her snack tent, but her being a pediatrician stuck selling super unhealthy food to kids as her own personal Hell was pretty hilarious. "I am saving all of your little lives!!"

The plot with Grace and Walter was really sweet, she just needed some self confidence, and while she was quite good, I thought she was pretty believable for a talented kid who isnt some amazing professional or prodigy. And Walter giving her flowers and saying her mom would have been proud really got me in the feels.

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 6
On 10/25/2019 at 4:32 PM, willco said:

No, you're right. In the context of the show, the widowed father with a successful business is "The Unicorn" Apparently, that type of a fellow is suppose to be quite rare and desirable to women  ?

Although, if you read the thread from the 1st episode, that term already exists in the dating world, and the show has it wrong, but I don't remember if anyone said what it's really suppose to mean.

My neighbor says that a unicorn for straight older guys is a woman with no kids and no annoying/crazy exes, basically no baggage. He tells my husband how lucky he (my husband) is to have found a unicorn! 😄

Edited by Gothish520
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, Gothish520 said:

My neighbor says that a unicorn for straight older guys is a woman with no kids and no annoying/crazy exes, basically no baggage. He tells my husband how lucky he (my husband) is to have found a unicorn! 😄

So these guys are sugar dads paying college tuition????

• LOL 2