Type keyword(s) to search

Dan & Louise: Instant Chemistry

ESS
  • Start Topic

I loved Dan & Louise's scenes in the recent episode! Dan was so sweet to check on Louise even though she kept on telling him to go away he so to speak stayed right by her side trying to help in anyway he could. Personally I was already worried for Louise as soon as I read the episode description.  

• Love 1
(edited)
12 hours ago, geauxaway said:

Why would Louise want to take on Dan and his debt, bad credit and horrible Childrens?????  I get the love thing but goodness sakes.  His debt and all that is like an albatross up on her.

because she's wanted him since high school. If you remember she's known him since then and now she finally has him, so she's in for the long haul no matter what. Just saying. 

Edited by ESS
  • Love 1
19 hours ago, geauxaway said:

Why would Louise want to take on Dan and his debt, bad credit and horrible Childrens?????  I get the love thing but goodness sakes.  His debt and all that is like an albatross up on her.

Hopefully, if they get married, she'll be smart enough to keep their finances separated.  But I doubt it.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Bastet said:

Hopefully, if they get married, she'll be smart enough to keep their finances separated.  But I doubt it.

Prenup.  But that would cost money for an attorney and ...

12 minutes ago, CrystalBlue said:

Prenup.  But that would cost money for an attorney and ...

Illinois isn't a community property state, so marital property is divided equitably rather than equally, but, yes, especially since they're older, he has kids that aren't hers, and she has more income than him, they should get a legal contract in place before getting married.  However, even though this is at the very least something they should discuss, I can easily imagine the writers ignoring it altogether if they go the marriage route.  And if it is mentioned, it will probably be the typical TV storyline where one party - in this case, I'd assume Dan, despite this usually being foisted on the woman - objects to a pre-nup on (illogical) general principle, as if not entangling finances 50/50 is somehow an indicator of inadequate love or commitment.

• Useful 1
19 hours ago, Bastet said:

Illinois isn't a community property state, so marital property is divided equitably rather than equally, but, yes, especially since they're older, he has kids that aren't hers, and she has more income than him, they should get a legal contract in place before getting married.  However, even though this is at the very least something they should discuss, I can easily imagine the writers ignoring it altogether if they go the marriage route.  And if it is mentioned, it will probably be the typical TV storyline where one party - in this case, I'd assume Dan, despite this usually being foisted on the woman - objects to a pre-nup on (illogical) general principle, as if not entangling finances 50/50 is somehow an indicator of inadequate love or commitment.

I didn't know Illinois was not a community property state.  My California brain has been fried by the SoCal sun and I was too lazy to look that up so thanks for that info.  (CA is a community property state and with Hollyweird and all, prenups are a big industry!)

I agree with you that writers won't address any legal finagling cuz it's all about looove.  I doubt there will be a mention about how broke Dan can afford an engagement ring.  Unless they make a joke of it and Louise gets a Cracker Jack prize.

Ditto for Hobo Camp Ben if he proposes to Darlene!

• Love 1
(edited)

I think Louise is the one who needs a will. She may have savings from being a restaurant manager. She may also have life insurance. The only thing Dan will leave is debt and the cost of a funeral. They didn't seem to learn anything from Rosanne's passing.

If Ben is smart, he will make sure the percentage of the hardware store reverts back to him in case anything happens to Dan.

I don't want Dan and Louise to marry because I think she deserves better than this current version of Dan. She'll probably lose whatever savings she has keeping her husband from losing that money pit of a house.

Is it true they'll have new writers next season? If they marry, hopefully new writers make the show less hopeless and depressing. And write Dan less bitter, angry, and controlling.

Edited by Snow Apple
  • Love 4
4 hours ago, Snow Apple said:

I think Louise is the one who needs a will. She may have savings from being a restaurant manager. She may also have life insurance. The only thing Dan will leave is debt and the cost of a funeral. They didn't seem to learn anything from Rosanne's passing.

If Ben is smart, he will make sure the percentage of the hardware store reverts back to him in case anything happens to Dan.

I don't want Dan and Louise to marry because I think she deserves better than this current version of Dan. She'll probably lose whatever savings she has keeping her husband from losing that money pit of a house.

Is it true they'll have new writers next season? If they marry, hopefully new writers make the show less hopeless and depressing. And write Dan less bitter, angry, and controlling.

I think Dan treats Louise just fine, but okay. Yes I believe it's true about the new writers coming on the show. 

• Love 1
41 minutes ago, ESS said:

I think Dan treats Louise just fine, but okay. Yes I believe it's true about the new writers coming on the show. 

Yes he treats her fine. He's a decent person. But he's still in debt and an angry bitter person because of how life treated him. Some is his fault and some are not. 

I just don't think they should marry until he gets his life together. He encouraged Becky into rehab and therapy. Maybe he should also seek therapy and speak with a financial advisor if he can afford it. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
5 minutes ago, Snow Apple said:

Yes he treats her fine. He's a decent person. But he's still in debt and an angry bitter person because of how life treated him. Some is his fault and some are not. 

I just don't think they should marry until he gets his life together. He encouraged Becky into rehab and therapy. Maybe he should also seek therapy and speak with a financial advisor if he can afford it. 

I understand that about him, but maybe they won’t get married right away? 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, ESS said:

I understand that about him, but maybe they won’t get married right away? 

An extended engagement at their age and under the circumstances would be OK with me.  A small inexpensive wedding would be apropos, maybe in the backyard with the chickens!  Perhaps Emilio can splash out again for a fancy party afterward for the reception.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, CrystalBlue said:

An extended engagement at their age and under the circumstances would be OK with me.  A small inexpensive wedding would be apropos, maybe in the backyard with the chickens!  Perhaps Emilio can splash out again for a fancy party afterward for the reception.

I like the backyard idea for reception and wedding I could see that although an extended engagement I don’t know if they’d actually do that at their age especially since they are older I mean they might wait a bit longer maybe a few months, but I can’t see them waiting that long. 

• Love 2

This may be an unpopular opinion, but I'm not into this pairing.  I feel like this version of Dan just drags Louise down.  Whenever I see her at the Conner house, I'm like: "What makes her stay?"  She seems too together to put up with their crap forever.

• Love 9
(edited)
2 hours ago, Brn2bwild said:

This may be an unpopular opinion, but I'm not into this pairing.  I feel like this version of Dan just drags Louise down.  Whenever I see her at the Conner house, I'm like: "What makes her stay?"  She seems too together to put up with their crap forever.

No offense, but I think the reason she stays is because she's known Dan since high school and has wanted a relationship with him forever, no matter what or how he's changed, she's devoted to him. Just saying. 

Edited by ESS
  • Love 2
(edited)
18 hours ago, Brn2bwild said:

This may be an unpopular opinion, but I'm not into this pairing. 

I liked the realistically slow trajectory (Dan Conner would absolutely be among the minority of widowers who didn't jump right into another relationship) and enjoyed their relationship whether it stayed a friendship or evolved into romance.  And it's fine now that it's settled into the latter, but it's not interesting like it was before.  But, while I readily acknowledge the objections of those who think Dan and his larger collection of baggage than a luggage store is not right for her and would probably in real life encourage Louise to get out, I find that I don't want the relationship disturbed just because I don't want another storyline about it.  It's just sort of there, and I don't care one way or the other, I just don't want it to be too much of a focus. 

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 4
On 5/6/2021 at 10:43 PM, ESS said:

No offense, but I think the reason she stays is because she's known Dan since high school and has wanted a relationship with him forever, no matter what or how he's changed, she's devoted to him. Just saying. 

And that’s sad that a woman of 70 years has to settle for her high school flame that is a complete loser.  She has a job, we have seen that.  And she seems to be smart and independent.   I don’t know why anyone would put up with his deadbeat succubus children and grandchildren.  Is the sex with Dan Connor that great??? 😂😂😂

• Love 6
11 hours ago, geauxaway said:

And that’s sad that a woman of 70 years has to settle for her high school flame that is a complete loser.  She has a job, we have seen that.  And she seems to be smart and independent.   I don’t know why anyone would put up with his deadbeat succubus children and grandchildren.  Is the sex with Dan Connor that great??? 😂😂😂

I don't know why anyone would put l with his insane sister-in-law.

• Love 3
35 minutes ago, bobalina said:

I don't know why anyone would put l with his insane sister-in-law.

They started out the introduction of Louise practically being mortal enemies with Jackie, and then Wacky Jackie and Louise settled into a decent relationship.  Louise knew Dan from way back in high school when he was with or knew Roseanne, so she knew Jackie the sister and what she'd be getting into with Dan after all those years.  I didn't understand all the hate and sniping at first.

• Love 3

I thought the hate and sniping was because Jackie miss Rosanne and didn't want any woman to "replace" her. I don't really remember.

At least Jackie and Louise were able to make peace with each other. Imagine if that old classmate was Phyllis Zimmer. LOL

• LOL 2
  • Love 4
36 minutes ago, Snow Apple said:

I thought the hate and sniping was because Jackie miss Rosanne and didn't want any woman to "replace" her. I don't really remember.

At least Jackie and Louise were able to make peace with each other. Imagine if that old classmate was Phyllis Zimmer. LOL

Lol. I don't think the rest of the family or the viewers would put up with that.

• Love 2

I hated the way Jackie treated Louise at first because to me there was really no reason for it at all, but as it was said I'm glad Jackie & Louise made up and settled their differences. 

• Love 5
(edited)

Jackie's reaction, as Roseanne's sister and as someone who's long been slightly crazy, made perfect sense to me, even without adding in whatever ancient feud she and Louise supposedly had.  If she hadn't come around and gotten over herself, that would have been a problem, but for that to be her initial reaction to seeing the guy who'd been with her sister since he was 16 years old with anyone new was only natural. 

In fact, I find it odd there not only wasn't any real resistance from any of the kids, but the kids never even talked amongst themselves how they were happy for Dan but it was odd to see Louise sleeping in Roseanne's bed, cooking in Roseanne's kitchen, etc.  I'm sure they did in "real" life, but the writers wanting to keep mention of Roseanne to a minimum meant we didn't see it, and that would have been a nice scene among the siblings - and a chance to include D.J.

Oh, well - at least they were true to how conflicted Dan would be about entering a new relationship.  (Per Bruce Helford, John Goodman didn't want them to do it at all, so they pulled back and wrote Dan's feelings and the resulting Dan/Louise trajectory in a much more realistic way, and with that necessary time he got on board.)  I can look past glossing over the kids' process of accepting it, but I would not have been able to overlook Dan jumping right in.  (Yes, many widowers do.  Dan would absolutely be among the minority who don't.)

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 10
3 hours ago, Bastet said:

Jackie's reaction made perfect sense to me, as Roseanne's sister and as someone who's long been slightly crazy.  If she hadn't come around and gotten over herself, that would have been a problem, but for that to be her initial reaction to seeing the guy who'd been with her sister since he was 16 years old with anyone new was only natural. 

In fact, I find it odd there not only wasn't any resistance among the kids, but that the kids never even talked amongst themselves how they were happy for Dan but it was odd to see Louise sleeping in Roseanne's bed, cooking in Roseanne's kitchen, etc.  I'm sure they did in "real" life, but the writers wanting to keep mention of Roseanne to a minimum meant we didn't see it, and that would have been a nice scene among the siblings - and a chance to include D.J.

Oh, well - at least they were true to how conflicted Dan would be about entering a new relationship.  (Per Bruce Helford, John Goodman didn't want them to do it at all, so they pulled back and wrote Dan's feelings and the resulting Dan/Louise trajectory in a much more realistic way, and with that necessary time he got on board.)  I can look past glossing over the kids' process of accepting it, but I would not have been able to overlook Dan jumping right in.  (Yes, many widowers do.  Dan would absolutely be among the minority who don't.)

Well when you put in that perspective, yes all of that is true, but I just hated it in general if that makes sense of how she was treated by Jackie as it seemed to come out of nowhere at least to me especially because Dan & Louise were just friends and weren't even dating. (I'm talking about season 1/early season 2 here) 

• Love 2

When did Dan propose? I must have missed an episode.

If that stupid Erin Brokovitch  knock-off takes off, I wouldn't worry about Dan and Louise following through on an engagement. Katey will be working elsewhere. 

38 minutes ago, Chewy101 said:

If that stupid Erin Brokovitch  knock-off takes off, I wouldn't worry about Dan and Louise following through on an engagement. Katey will be working elsewhere. 

Still, though. Since when did we learn that Louise has an empire she might lose to Dan? She traveled like a nomad in a band and then ended up back in Landford at a bar. Dan has worked his entire life, but kids cost money, and when they grew up his wife's knee surgery cost money (no insurance), and the cost of burying her cost a lot of money. I see two people living hand to mouth, and maybe they should just be miserable together. 

They have been weighing heavy on the Covid thing, and financial distress is a big part of that. But it reminds me of Last Man Standing, when they got a little too hopped up on political debates and stopped being a sitcom. 

BTW, the bank has already told Dan they were seizing his house, how come that didn't happen?

• Love 1
(edited)
3 hours ago, Chewy101 said:

Hey now don't knock Rebel as I love the show! and actually it’s in Katey’s contract she'll be doing both shows plus the writers confirmed they are working around her schedule for Rebel as well, she confirmed all of this months ago and then again recently so (Louise) not going anywhere in fact she’s extending her stay, so I’d say they are going to get engaged. Dan hasn’t propose yet as we haven’t seen the last two episodes, it’s just speculation at the moment. 

Confirmation below from Katey herself she's staying on The Conners and doing Rebel

Katey Sagal settles Rumors She’s Leaving The Conners For Rebel Once & For All

Edited by ESS
  • Love 3
(edited)
9 hours ago, Chewy101 said:

Still, though. Since when did we learn that Louise has an empire she might lose to Dan? She traveled like a nomad in a band and then ended up back in Landford at a bar. Dan has worked his entire life, but kids cost money, and when they grew up his wife's knee surgery cost money (no insurance), and the cost of burying her cost a lot of money. I see two people living hand to mouth, and maybe they should just be miserable together.

BTW, the bank has already told Dan they were seizing his house, how come that didn't happen?

Dan let the the kids (Becky & Darlene at least and after being talked into it) help him with the rent that's why they haven't lost the house. As for Louise having a lot of money I don't believe we've heard anything about that yet. 

Edited by ESS
  • Love 2

Louise manages a restaurant (and would qualify for unemployment during the COVID-induced job loss), has no dependents, has a nice but by no means extravagant apartment, and was able to take time off to go on the road (presumably the tour money split among the band would be less than she earns at the restaurant).  She isn't close to sitting on an empire, but unless she's a total moron with her money, she is able to pay her bills each month and maintain a little cushion of savings. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
6 hours ago, Bastet said:

Louise manages a restaurant (and would qualify for unemployment during the COVID-induced job loss), has no dependents, has a nice but by no means extravagant apartment, and was able to take time off to go on the road (presumably the tour money split among the band would be less than she earns at the restaurant).  She isn't close to sitting on an empire, but unless she's a total moron with her money, she is able to pay her bills each month and maintain a little cushion of savings. 

Yeah, that's what I thought and wanted to post something like this in response to ESS, but wasn't sure of all the details.  (Apartment vs. house, etc.)  So thanks for this.

• Love 1
18 hours ago, ESS said:

Hey now don't knock Rebel as I love the show! and actually it’s in Katey’s contract she'll be doing both shows plus the writers confirmed they are working around her schedule for Rebel as well, she confirmed all of this months ago and then again recently so (Louise) not going anywhere in fact she’s extending her stay, so I’d say they are going to get engaged. Dan hasn’t propose yet as we haven’t seen the last two episodes, it’s just speculation at the moment. 

My apologies, lol. I am a huge Katey Segal fan but I could have been more respectful about my feelings on her new show. I am glad The Conners aren't losing her!

• Love 3
(edited)
On 5/11/2021 at 4:23 AM, Chewy101 said:

My apologies, lol. I am a huge Katey Segal fan but I could have been more respectful about my feelings on her new show. I am glad The Conners aren't losing her!

It's alright apology accepted. I'm glad to know you love Katey too as do I and it's why I love Rebel (the show and the character) and plus Katey deserves her own show and I want it to be successful. Anyway yes I'm also glad the The Conners aren't loosing her either. I love Louise as a character as well. 

Edited by ESS
  • Love 2
On 5/5/2021 at 3:28 PM, Snow Apple said:

Unless he comes into a windfall of money, Dan is never getting his life together. With his age and debts looks like he will be working for the rest of his life.

• Love 4
14 minutes ago, Arcadiasw said:

Unless he comes into a windfall of money, Dan is never getting his life together. With his age and debts looks like he will be working for the rest of his life.

And I have to admit that's pretty sad to hear or read. 😢

On 5/10/2021 at 4:26 PM, Bastet said:

Thank you for this as well I wasn't sure all of the details either to be honest so glad some one else is. 

• Love 3
On 5/13/2021 at 2:51 AM, ESS said:

It's alright apology accepted. I'm glad to know you love Katey too as do I and it's why I love Rebel (the show and the character) and plus Katey deserves her own show and I want it to be successful. Anyway yes I'm also glad the The Conners aren't loosing her either. I love Louise as a character as well. 

Sons of Anarchy was her show and it was a big hit. 

• Love 1
(edited)
2 hours ago, Chewy101 said:

Sons of Anarchy was her show and it was a big hit. 

Actually I respectfully disagree about SOA being her show as I've never looked at it like that I've always believed it was more her husband's because he wrote it, produced it, thought of it and everything else and plus it was ensemble show as well (and yes Rebel is too an ensemble, but the difference is her character on Rebel is the main focus while her character on SOA was the focus, but to me not the main focus I mean yes she had storylines, but not the way she is on Rebel). To me I consider Rebel her show because she's on it and also a co executive producer, JMO. 

Edited by ESS
  • Love 1
Spoiler

I'm so happy for my favorite couple! And according to the writers we'll most likely be seeing their wedding so I can't wait. ♥️ To be honest I thought they'd elope, but this is great too seeing them actually marry on screen especially we didn't get to see their proposal or even Louise saying yes even though I know she obviously did.

• Love 3
On 5/1/2021 at 11:44 PM, geauxaway said:

Not that Dan has anything to leave to his kids but FFS, I hope he has a will.  Especially after losing his wif

Well,for Christ sake, he didn't have   insurance,so why would he bother with a will?  And as much as i LOVE Louise, please,PLEASE don't go with the whiet dress and veil.  Please.

Thank you.

• Love 1

Dan and Roseanne definitely had a will. In an early episode they realized that their initial will didn't include DJ, so they spent a few days updating it and trying to decide who they would leave the kids to (they settled on Crystal and Ed, but then Jackie threw a fit so they changed it to her). Whether or not it was ever updated after that is anyone's guess.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, Cherpumple said:

Dan and Roseanne definitely had a will. In an early episode they realized that their initial will didn't include DJ, so they spent a few days updating it and trying to decide who they would leave the kids to (they settled on Crystal and Ed, but then Jackie threw a fit so they changed it to her). Whether or not it was ever updated after that is anyone's guess.

At this stage in the game, Dan and Louise should start working on their Will while on their honeymoon!  Just kidding; I'm 65 myself but I just couldn't resist.  Perhaps the newlyweds can find an attorney to do a pre-nup and last will and testament at the same time!

• Love 2
4 hours ago, CrystalBlue said:

At this stage in the game, Dan and Louise should start working on their Will while on their honeymoon!  Just kidding; I'm 65 myself but I just couldn't resist.  Perhaps the newlyweds can find an attorney to do a pre-nup and last will and testament at the same time!

Why would they need a will? Louise may have some assets but all Dan will leave is debt.

• Love 2