Type keyword(s) to search

TDS 3.0 Season Five Talk

• Start Topic

I thought I'd post this monologue from the other week in case anyone missed it, just because it's brilliant.

“If Joe Biden gets elected, MS-13 is going to move in next door. But we won’t live there anymore because we’ll be kicked out of the suburbs. And if we try to go to church, the Democrats will call the cops on us. But there won’t be any cops because they defunded the police. So we’ll have to take ourselves to prison. But they abolished the prisons so now all the criminals are out on the streets, which means they can shoot us. But they can’t shoot us because the Democrats have taken away all the guns, which means all we can do is fight with our words. But we can’t because words have been canceled.”

• Love 8

I feel bad for Trevor and TDS. No trip to Hollywood for the Emmys this year, and they have to spend the weekend prepping for Monday's episode in part to the passing of Justice Ginsburg.

Pandemmy Awards? Wow. Nicely done, TDS. Only shame is that none of the whackjobs from the Palm Beach meeting got nominated. Also, I would've went with the Italian mayors on TV cussing out people on TV, as opposed to the footage of them communicating frustration directly.

• Love 2

I am so angry and disgusted and despondent. Mitch McConnell and the other Repubs flaunt their hypocrisy as openly as Trump lies. I'm not exactly surprised, but I'm still depressed that this happens. And THEN Trevor points out that Trump is on track to appoint three Supreme Court Justices! I don't know if that's a record, but he loves making records. That's what he lives for. The best. The tallest. The biggest. The longest. 

Listening to Dr Fauci was a pleasant palate cleanser.

• Love 8

What an excellent episode of The Daily Show! A fitting tribute to RBG, a good interview with Fauci, and, on a lighter note, the outcome of the Pandemmys. I was so glad they treated RBG with the honor due her. Well done.

• Love 6

Watched the first part of last night’s episode. Am I weird for grinding through Trevor’s tallying of all the offenses in the world, only for my face to light up when I heard him say “Leo Deblin”? Republicans being hypocrites, Florida governor making it a crime to protest, overseas airlines offering “flights to nowhere” . . . but then Roy Wood Jr. does some cheesy bit, and I’m a happy guy.

I might have a problem. Worse, the treatment costs but $85. From what I’ve heard, I can get that from my momma.

• Love 1

I too loved the Leo Deblin segment. It really did cheer me up. I'm smiling right now thinking of it.

I didn't understand Woodward's explanation for why he didn't reveal earlier that Trump had said he was deliberately downplaying the virus. 

On 9/15/2020 at 8:14 PM, peeayebee said:

I love all his impressions and accents. I think my favorite may be the Russian ones. 

I would have agreed with you until last night, when he was doing Mitch McConnell.  That one kills me.

On 9/24/2020 at 9:25 AM, peeayebee said:

I didn't understand Woodward's explanation for why he didn't reveal earlier that Trump had said he was deliberately downplaying the virus. 

I was confused, too.  But he mentioned that Trump got his info from a secret meeting of some sort, and Woodward thought his duty was to reveal the fact that the virus was serious.  But by the time he could have done that (via the Washington Post, as news?), people did know it was serious because the doctors were saying it.  So it wouldn't be "news."

I gather that at that point, he thought Trump's downplaying it wasn't breaking news.  I believe he mentioned something about the book coming out before the election, so he saw it as a political matter rather than a public safety matter.

I can't believe that Trevor has been hosting the show for five years! It still feels fresh, even in Covid19-ville.

Now that he's been here for five years, he can apply for American Citizenship! I remember someone asked him why he wasn't a citizen yet and he said, you have to be here five years. I hope he does (or has), but wouldn't blame him if he waited until Trump is out of office. Although, it does take a while to process through.

I loved his interview with Dr. Jane Goodall. They're both so personable and she's something else besides! A real up!

• Love 2

Count me in as another one who loved Jane Goodall. Totally unexpected guest, but she was great. I loved how, in talking about the importance of making Earth-conscious choices, she emphasized that people living in poverty aren't able to make those choices, so it's up to everyone else to  step up.

John Cena was a great guest too. I've never thought much about him as a celebrity, but I think I get it. He just radiated wholesomeness - I liked that he named himself a member of the BTS army, and I liked his clarification on "earning the day" and how sometimes that means resting and taking care of himself. Trevor promising to hug the shit out of him when they were able to meet IRL again was adorable.

I feel bad for anyone who has to give commentary on that debate, but Trevor pulled it off. The whole bit about Chris Wallace trying the "do you want to switch seats?" tactic with Trump was good (especially Trevor's relief that Trump didn't go through it, because "I don't know if Wallace has it in him to kill 200,000 people"), and I loved his impression of Fox News hosts pondering the "mystery" of why Trump didn't denounce white supremacists.

Side note, I'm liking the slightly-longer hair on Ronny - it looks good on him.

ETA - for anyone who hasn't seen it, Trevor also posted videos of his post-debate thoughts on Tuesday night and his reaction to Trump's COVID-19 diagnosis on the show's YouTube channel. He really captured the brain-breaking experience of trying to watch that debate, and I like the approach he took with the COVID video.

Edited by angora
Added a couple new video clips.
  • Love 2

I wonder what's going on with the ad situation. I notice he'll often say they'll be right back and then there's either no break at all or a very short one. That's new recently. They used to have many more ads.

It's not that I want to watch commercials, but it's always been how shows work, so I'm wondering what's what. I can't imagine they're having trouble finding sponsors.

I just don't want to find out the show is canceled. I think Trevor is doing a great job and I don't want him cancelled or replaced.

Does anyone know what the ratings are like?

Does anyone watch anything else on Comedy Central? Are their other shows also cutting down on ad time?

• Love 3
7 hours ago, possibilities said:

I just don't want to find out the show is canceled. I think Trevor is doing a great job and I don't want him cancelled or replaced.

Stuff can happen, but he's been contracted through 2022.

• Useful 3

I wonder what's going on with the ad situation. I notice he'll often say they'll be right back and then there's either no break at all or a very short one. That's new recently. 

I've definitely noticed that. If there IS a commercial in this last break, I'm always surprised. Anyway, I don't know why he says they'll be back after the break and then there's not a break. Maybe it's when they are short of time. I didn't think it was anything to do with a lack of advertisers, but maybe that's the case.

I wouldn't worry about the show being cancelled.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 10/3/2020 at 2:18 AM, possibilities said:

I wonder what's going on with the ad situation. I notice he'll often say they'll be right back and then there's either no break at all or a very short one. That's new recently. They used to have many more ads.

On 10/3/2020 at 6:50 PM, peeayebee said:

I've definitely noticed that. If there IS a commercial in this last break, I'm always surprised. Anyway, I don't know why he says they'll be back after the break and then there's not a break. Maybe it's when they are short of time. I didn't think it was anything to do with a lack of advertisers, but maybe that's the case.

I wouldn't worry about the show being cancelled.

I'm not worried about the show being cancelled either. The ratings are good, especially in the demo. And now that CC seems to be embracing other platforms instead of trying to drive viewers to their site they are racking up a LOT of views on social media, YouTube, etc. which is almost as important in late night. All of the late night shows have been experimenting a lot with formatting in the last few years, even before the world went crazy. Like with the longer running time. I wouldn't be surprised if the network wants to see if they can reduce tune out by shortening that last break. As far as why Trevor hasn't changed the phrasing it's possible he doesn't know for sure when he's filming if there is going to be a break or not and if this is something that they just playing around with they may not want to call attention to it so that it's noticeable if they go back.

• Useful 1
6 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

"Could you imagine if Michelle Obama got caught saying she hates Christmas? The Fox News building would have exploded with semen."

I'm with Jaboukie. Some of the Melania recordings were funny as hell. 

Downside: I read the post before seeing the segment on DVR. Up side: it’s still funny, and Trevor legitimately cracked up. Thanks, JYW!

1 hour ago, Robert Lynch said:

Well, that Jason Sudeikis interview was awkward.

Yeah, right?  Usually it’s the correspondents who play dumb. I’m not sure I remember Trevor taking that role before. 

That said, the 3 people in my house with very different tastes in entertainment all loved his show. Which we only saw because I got a free year of Apple TV when I bought my new phone a few months ago. 

ETA. I did enjoy Jason’s comment at the end - what happened to Jon Stewart?

Edited by SoMuchTV
  • Love 1
2 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

I would love to watch it, but I have too many subscriptions as it is.

I hear that!  But if you or someone you know has gotten a new iPhone lately, there was a fairly easy process to scan a QR code to activate a year subscription. Or - I have a Vizio smart tv, and lately it’s been giving me an offer for a 3 month free trial. I wonder if other streaming devices have something similar. 

Just be sure  put a note on your calendar to cancel it before they start charging you. 

• Love 1

Give credit to Trevor for showing the origins of Columbus Day, rather than just showing a-holes in tracksuits bitch and call it a day. Seriously, was there a “YOU MUST BE THIS MUCH OF AN EMBARRASSMENT TO ATTEND THIS EVENT” sign? There could be a holiday to honor those immigrants that came over from Europe . . . but I’m not sure if that would fly these days.

• Love 2

Man, Trevor cracks me up. I really need to watch one of his stand-ups. I'm sure I'd love it.

It's probably not very professional, but if I were the moderator, I'd say to Pence, "Can. You. Hear. Me?"

How perfect was Dulcé's response to the criticism of Kamala's face by showing a few of the times Trump made a weird, disrespectful face."

And Jordan's visit to the Trump rally... What can one say? So much ignorance. The guy didn't know that Trump votes by mail? That's an easy one. Trump himself has said it. But the creme de la creme was the last guy saying he's making four times as much money under Trump as under Obama because he's in debt relief. I just can't.

• Love 2
On 10/8/2020 at 9:30 AM, Lantern7 said:

Give credit to Trevor for showing the origins of Columbus Day, rather than just showing a-holes in tracksuits bitch and call it a day. Seriously, was there a “YOU MUST BE THIS MUCH OF AN EMBARRASSMENT TO ATTEND THIS EVENT” sign? There could be a holiday to honor those immigrants that came over from Europe . . . but I’m not sure if that would fly these days.

I liked that too. Showing the understandable reasons why people are upset on the one hand, but then on the other, "This is basically our 9/11," oof. I also enjoyed Trevor's suggestion to just behead the statue and stick someone else's head on it. It reminded me of a suggestion he had earlier in the summer that we ought to make statues out of a material that will break down after a decade or so, so we have to actively CHOOSE to build it again/keep honoring that person instead of just passively letting it stand.

7 hours ago, peeayebee said:

And Jordan's visit to the Trump rally... What can one say? So much ignorance. The guy didn't know that Trump votes by mail? That's an easy one. Trump himself has said it. But the creme de la creme was the last guy saying he's making four times as much money under Trump as under Obama because he's in debt relief. I just can't.

100%. I appreciated Jordan just busting out laughing when he heard that - I'm sure he need the release. Back when he, as the only white-guy correspondent, became the show's go-to Trump rally correspondent, I'm sure he couldn't imagine the depths that assignment would take him to over the years. I also loved him talking to the one guy about being pro-life. "You think it's important for Americans to do everything they can to protect human life?" "Of course!" "So why aren't you wearing a mask?"

The other night, with the "Facebook censors onion photo" story, it was an easy joke, but I laughed so hard at Trevor's sudden sexual awakening over sexy onions, especially when it popped up again in other bits.

• Love 6

I really like how every night Trevor is letting people know state specific info on registration and early voting. It's quick and he's charming as always but it's a great way to get some last minute info out. 

• Love 2