Type keyword(s) to search

TDS 3.0 Season Five Talk

• Start Topic

28 minutes ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

No doubt, and I'm pretty sure @Florinaldo, whose post you replied to, would agree with you about the role of police and social workers, and didn't miss any point.

I do not think I missed any point either. Police work and social work are two different fields; often complementary, sometimes antagonistic, but separate. Those who propose defunding the former to bump up the former's finances are simply suggesting to shift the overall problems from one envelope to another one.

Those who propose defunding the former to bump up the former's finances are simply suggesting to shift the overall problems from one envelope to another one.

Yes. We're suggesting that different envelopes are better for different problems.  I don't expect social workers to be the police but there are things they can do to reduce crime or at least change the way we deal with certain crimes. We shifted money away from social workers, mental health care, drug treatment, etc. to police over the last several decades and it only made things worse for both citizens and the police. Let's shift it back.

• Love 4
(edited)

I'm trying not to get into the policing issue because there's a ton of info that I find interesting about this topic, but if it wasn't mentioned on the show, we're not supposed to talk about it, and I can't remember which things I heard here and which I heard elsewhere.

But I will say that rather than going off the limited information TDS provided (apparently a lot of what I know about it wasn't offered on TDS, and the info people got from this show is very limited), I would really encourage people to look into it more before coming to conclusions.

We should not make policy based on hunches or inadequate information or unanswered questions, we should be fully looking at proposals in detail, examining the available data, seeing what has been tried already and how well it did or didn't work, and then and only then deciding what is the best course of action. It's way to important to be sloppy or overly casual about policy of this sort.

I think that NO brief q&a, no matter who the interviewer or the interviewee might be, is enough to fully explore this, and I see TDS as an avenue to whet the appetite, not "all the info a person would need in order to fully decide."

---

Actually, what I came here to talk about is Trevor's sweatshirts. I continue to be impressed by how many colors he has, but as I don't have air conditioning in my apartment, and it's been close to 90 degrees in here lately, I can't believe Trevor is still wearing them.

Even if you have air conditioning, why would you turn it up so high that you could then be comfortable wearing a sweatshirt? That seems like it would be expensive and wasteful of fuel.

Is he really that chilly? Is he ashamed to show his arms? They don't make long sleeve but lighter weight shirts in endless colors?

This is not the most important issue in the world, but I'm sitting here with ice packs to keep cool, so it does take up some space in my head while I'm watching the show. Also, the voice in my head is calculating the fuel bill to pay for the air conditioning that would lower the temperature enough to make a sweatshirt comfortable. My mother is yelling at me that it's wasteful.

Show us your arms, Trevor!

I realize this is not nearly as important as what to do about the police.

Edited by possibilities
  • LOL 2
  • Love 4
9 hours ago, Ana170 said:

Yes. We're suggesting that different envelopes are better for different problems. 

As I said, I would agree with such an analysis. The rub is that spokespeople for the "defund" movement, including those we saw on TDS, do not make such a nuance and talk as if all police work, including criminal investigations and bringing people to justice, can be performed by other services, including social workers. Such a hoplessly naive approach may be a distorsion of the true intent, but it comes from the public faces of the idea. I suppose it is an inevitable by-product of a decentralised movement without an identifiable leadership.

I really enjoyed the Bubba Wallace interview. The fact that a cord that had been hanging from the door for several yearss was suddenly noticed and took on such an ominous meaning underscores how current events are heightening sensitivity to even the smallest detail one would not have even noticed before. 

• Love 2
18 hours ago, possibilities said:

Actually, what I came here to talk about is Trevor's sweatshirts. I continue to be impressed by how many colors he has, but as I don't have air conditioning in my apartment, and it's been close to 90 degrees in here lately, I can't believe Trevor is still wearing them.

Even if you have air conditioning, why would you turn it up so high that you could then be comfortable wearing a sweatshirt? That seems like it would be expensive and wasteful of fuel.

Is he really that chilly? Is he ashamed to show his arms? They don't make long sleeve but lighter weight shirts in endless colors?

This is not the most important issue in the world, but I'm sitting here with ice packs to keep cool, so it does take up some space in my head while I'm watching the show. Also, the voice in my head is calculating the fuel bill to pay for the air conditioning that would lower the temperature enough to make a sweatshirt comfortable. My mother is yelling at me that it's wasteful.

Gee thanks.  I was enjoying the jokes and the social commentary and how cuddly Trevor looks in his many sweatshirts, and now all I want to do is go crank down the a/c.  🙂

• Love 1
On 6/25/2020 at 4:22 AM, possibilities said:

I'm trying not to get into the policing issue because there's a ton of info that I find interesting about this topic, but if it wasn't mentioned on the show, we're not supposed to talk about it, and I can't remember which things I heard here and which I heard elsewhere.

But I will say that rather than going off the limited information TDS provided (apparently a lot of what I know about it wasn't offered on TDS, and the info people got from this show is very limited), I would really encourage people to look into it more before coming to conclusions.

We should not make policy based on hunches or inadequate information or unanswered questions, we should be fully looking at proposals in detail, examining the available data, seeing what has been tried already and how well it did or didn't work, and then and only then deciding what is the best course of action. It's way to important to be sloppy or overly casual about policy of this sort.

I think that NO brief q&a, no matter who the interviewer or the interviewee might be, is enough to fully explore this, and I see TDS as an avenue to whet the appetite, not "all the info a person would need in order to fully decide."

---

On 6/25/2020 at 11:06 PM, SoMuchTV said:

Gee thanks.  I was enjoying the jokes and the social commentary and how cuddly Trevor looks in his many sweatshirts, and now all I want to do is go crank down the a/c.  🙂

I am obsessed with the sweatshirts, and I think that they look adorable.  But I think the answer may go back to Trevor having grown up in Africa.  When I was in Italy, with high and hot temperatures, I met a number of immigrants from Ethiopia (not the same as South Africa, but not entirely dissimilar), and they were wearing sweatshirts and feeling cold in 90+ degree weather because it's cooler than what they were used to.  Maybe Trevor still has his body set on African temperature, and he is actually cool/cold in NY.  He does go back relatively often, so it's not like he's turned into a snowperson since moving to the US.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
19 hours ago, crimsongrl said:

I have to ask, what is the Statue of Liberty holding in her hand behind Trevor? A couch cushion?🙅

I think it's a police riot shield.

Random thoughts from this week:

I don't think I've ever heard a more sad-but-true line from Michael than, "Child labor never went away, we just outsourced it to other countries!", followed by his wish to "bringing those American jobs back home" w/ kids working at meatpacking plants.

That story about the gang-member database was so messed up. I loved Trevor's comments about the police being incentivized to create more crime/criminals.

Also, the other day I went back and took a look at the first lockdown video Trevor posted, just to remind myself how much Trevor's hair has grown since then.

• Love 4
On 6/29/2020 at 6:06 PM, Ailianna said:

I am obsessed with the sweatshirts, and I think that they look adorable.  But I think the answer may go back to Trevor having grown up in Africa.  When I was in Italy, with high and hot temperatures, I met a number of immigrants from Ethiopia (not the same as South Africa, but not entirely dissimilar), and they were wearing sweatshirts and feeling cold in 90+ degree weather because it's cooler than what they were used to.  Maybe Trevor still has his body set on African temperature, and he is actually cool/cold in NY.  He does go back relatively often, so it's not like he's turned into a snowperson since moving to the US.

He mentioned this on last night’s episode. Apparently, the a/c is why he’s wearing the hoodies. We’ve had a cool, wet start to our summer, so I’m a little envious of people needing air conditioning.

(edited)
On 7/16/2020 at 1:18 AM, crimsongrl said:

I have to ask, what is the Statue of Liberty holding in her hand behind Trevor? A couch cushion?🙅

Reddit agrees with @angora that it's a riot shield.  I'm not so sure.  And his graphics people are so good, you'd think there wouldn't be any doubt.

I loved his video compilation of the victory laps on behalf of Florida's and Texas's handling of the virus. 

ETA:  I examined a photo of it again, and the way the statue is holding the object is the way someone would hold a riot shield.  But without that context, it just looks like a rectangle.

Edited by StatisticalOutlier
  • Love 2
On 7/16/2020 at 12:18 AM, crimsongrl said:

I have to ask, what is the Statue of Liberty holding in her hand behind Trevor? A couch cushion?

I've been meaning to ask that, too. The only thing I could think of was a cellphone, but it's weird looking for a phone. I'll have to check it out again with a shield in mind.

1 hour ago, Epeolatrix said:

I'm pretty sure it's a shield because it's transparent at the bottom.

statue.png.bef7c6c2cea0ab235828579aefb2d1cc.png

Should have gone more Camelot style...looks too much like police / prison riot shield

image.png.efd970f46b5e58bc9e0f4e40e1decf49.png

On 7/16/2020 at 3:18 AM, crimsongrl said:

On 7/18/2020 at 5:07 PM, StatisticalOutlier said:

Reddit agrees with @angora that it's a riot shield.  I'm not so sure.  And his graphics people are so good, you'd think there wouldn't be any doubt.

Thank you. I've been wondering, too. It looks like a big piece of crystal with a silver band around it, so I couldn't get past that and wondered why? Perhaps to ward off evil vibes! 🙄

Argh, the ol' Dish guide marked the last few episodes as not new so it didn't record any of them. It doesn't happen all the time, but it's always with this show. I don't get it. So PSA for any other Dish Network folks, you may have missed the last few episodes.

(edited)

I too was puzzled by what that thing is that Liberty is holding up in Trevor's graphic.  I was thinking it was some sort of cell phone and symbolized viral videos being the new torch held aloft by Liberty.  Since I'm not the least teeny bit white privileged [/S], riot shield never occurred to me until Epeolatrix suggested it.  I wasn't sure at first, but it turns out that riot shields come in all sorts of shapes and sizes. Here's a link to one of the bazillion vendors of riot shields.  The one pictured at this site looks pretty similar to Trevor's graphic.  Googling for riot shield images was pretty revealing in an icky sort of way.  I do love that they have a blank space for the purchaser to specify a logo.  I mean, sure, the idea is to have the logo identify the person being shielded as POLICE, or SHERIFF, or ILLEGALLY DEPLOYED FEDERAL AGENT.  But I'm picturing companies deciding to use civil disturbance as an advertising opportunity.  I'm looking forward to riot shields being sponsored by Bud Lite, or by State Farm Insurance, or Century Link.  Also, based on the link I posted above, we outsource the manufacture of riot shields to China.  Because of course.

Edited by Hooper
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, possibilities said:

Why is Lady Liberty holding a riot shield, though? Is she trying to suppress peaceful protest? Is LL a jack booted thug??

If you figure the torch is for those that need liberty to find her for protection, the shield could be used to defend them from those that would harm them.

Trevor is kicking ass from home, but watching the clip of last night's guest try to explain her situation to the current president was painful to watch.

• Love 1
On 7/31/2020 at 5:34 PM, Lantern7 said:

Trevor is kicking ass from home, but watching the clip of last night's guest try to explain her situation to the current president was painful to watch.

It was horrific.  And I am so glad that Trevor had her on the show, and that he aired that clip.  I hadn't seen it at all before, and it was amazing.  He tried to blow her off, and she gently persisted.  I'm so tempted to show this to some of my work associates who like Trump and think he's so smart.  He doesn't even know what he is signing, or who is there for it.  UGH.  

• Love 2
On 7/31/2020 at 2:34 PM, Lantern7 said:

I remember seeing that before, and it was just as painful to watch now as then. DT so obviously didn't want to listen to her, didn't even try to understand, but... she persisted.

Whenever a new speaker of English apologizes for their English skills, I just want to say, "Hey, I don't speak two languages. You're doing great!"

• Love 8
On 8/3/2020 at 9:42 AM, peeayebee said:

I remember seeing that before, and it was just as painful to watch now as then. DT so obviously didn't want to listen to her, didn't even try to understand, but... she persisted.

Whenever a new speaker of English apologizes for their English skills, I just want to say, "Hey, I don't speak two languages. You're doing great!"

I love that. 😊 Sadly there are too many people who will hear an accent and some errors and dismiss someone who's incredibly intelligent as dumb simply because his/her English isn't as strong as someone who grew up in an English-speaking country. 

• Love 1
On 7/17/2020 at 10:20 PM, hula-la said:

He mentioned this on last night’s episode. Apparently, the a/c is why he’s wearing the hoodies. We’ve had a cool, wet start to our summer, so I’m a little envious of people needing air conditioning.

So why is Fallon wearing a suit jacket on top of a hoodie? 

On 8/12/2020 at 6:51 PM, Robert Lynch said:

The Russian vaccine is very suspicious.

Hmm. Maybe a little bitsky?

russian vaccine.jpg

ETA: A friend who reads Russian translated it as: "Who ever can read this I respect Vladimir Putin."  HAH!

Edited by Ms Lark
To add translation.
  • LOL 6

I have to say that it irked me when Trevor mentioned penguins living in the Arctic. 

Other than that little nit, I've enjoyed the last two days, even Michael Kosta's segment. It was actually informative.

• Love 1

Trevor getting all defensive when Common asked about his fitness routine made me laugh, and the MoZ of them talking about their sweaters/hoodies was cute. Common's new series sounds pretty neat.

That story on conservatives questioning Kamala Harris's Blackness was so good. I liked how Trevor brought up the idea of it being like a reversal of the one-drop rule, along with the comparison to how conservatives talked about Obama (until he got elected and started making policies they didn't like - "no one was talking his white mom from Kansas then!") That tied in well with the notion that people's Blackness is only questioned in their success, never their failures. And I loved the point, "So these people agree that the American Black experience is about suffering, struggle, and oppression," and yet they act like there's no reason for people to be protesting.

• Love 11

Just watched TDS. Well, just the one part. I've been working, so I usually steer away from TV in the late evening and DVR it. But I knew there would be an "official" campaign video for Joe Biden, and I had to watch it "live." Basically, the same concept as the one they did for John Kerry in 2004 ("He's Not Bush"), but it came out better. Kudos to Steve Buscemi for narrating that.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, angora said:

That tied in well with the notion that people's Blackness is only questioned in their success, never their failures.

That was such an interesting observation. I'll definitely be on the lookout for it.

And I loved the point, "So these people agree that the American Black experience is about suffering, struggle, and oppression," and yet they act like there's no reason for people to be protesting.

Exactly! That whole segment was really good.

11 minutes ago, Lantern7 said:

But I knew there would be an "official" campaign video for Joe Biden, and I had to watch it "live." Basically, the same concept as the one they did for John Kerry in 2004 ("He's Not Bush"), but it came out better. Kudos to Steve Buscemi for narrating that.

That was so good, and Buscemi did a great job narrating. 

Oh, and... BER-NEEEEEE! I loved listening to him. What a great guy.

• Love 2

I really liked tonight's episode. It hit just the right notes for me, after watching Day 4 of the Dem Convention.

I was mesmerized by his fuzzy hoodie last night. Was that fleece? I guess all the hoodies I've seen have had the fuzzy part on the inside, but it looked like this one was made in the opposite way (not that he was wearing it inside out). I think way too much about the hoodies. I also like the lavender one. I'm like this about ties when dudes wear suits. Something to break up the boredom, I guess.

• Love 1

I was so happy to see a fifth episode this week.  I hope that lasts.  I thought at first my DVR just recorded the replay (it's done that a few times) but then I watched a lavender hoodie followed by an orange sherbert hoodie, and I was so excited!  (P.S. I also just love all the hoodies, and I'm feeling like he doesn't repeat them much.  Whereas I think Seth Myers had like six shirts total while in the attic.)  I also thought his interview with Bernie was very good (his always are) and the Drag Out the Vote was awesome!

I think he did a show on Friday so he could carry the convention coverage from Thursday, without having to do it live on Thursday night. I was glad he did it, but I'm guessing he won't continue long term. It would be great if he did, though.

• Love 3

Oh man, I LOVED Trevor spiraling out over all the contradictory fearmongering at the RNC about a hypothetical Biden presidency. (paraphrased) They're gonna throw us in jail, but they got rid of all the jails so all the criminals are out in the street shooting at us, but they took all the guns away so we have to fight on Twitter, but we can't because WORDS ARE CANCELED!" Amazing bit.

And he was right on about a real Trump presidency outweighing the damage of a hypothetical Biden one. "Dude, I'm Clorox-wiping my grapes, how much worse could shit get?"

• Love 7
5 minutes ago, angora said:

Oh man, I LOVED Trevor spiraling out over all the contradictory fearmongering at the RNC about a hypothetical Biden presidency. (paraphrased) They're gonna throw us in jail, but they got rid of all the jails so all the criminals are out in the street shooting at us, but they took all the guns away so we have to fight on Twitter, but we can't because WORDS ARE CANCELED!" Amazing bit.

And he was right on about a real Trump presidency outweighing the damage of a hypothetical Biden one. "Dude, I'm Clorox-wiping my grapes, how much worse could shit get?"

Trevor was brilliant with that part! I enjoy his show in general, but he was particularly sharp the last episode. Love this man, one of my favorites on TV. 

• Love 5

Agreed on both counts, @possibilities. I love Ramy too, so it was great to see Trevor showing the series so much love.

I don't have cable, so I'm a watch-the-next-day viewer. When I got online this morning and saw "Trevor Noah" was trending, I thought, "I bet he talked about Jacob Blake." Incredible commentary as always. Pissed off, but also just disgusted, especially when he was talking about the white shooter ("Don't worry, the business is all right.") I really felt for Trevor when he said he could probably pre-record five police shooting stories and no one would know the difference (personally, I think one of Trevor's strengths in these stories is the specificity and empathy with which he approaches the story of each victim, but I totally understand the feeling behind that statement.) Another part that really got to me was, "Black people are tired of hearing, 'I'm sorry,' and then nothing happening. Because essentially, what Black people are hearing is, 'I'm sorry this happened, and I'm sorry it's going to happen again.'" Including the longer clip from Blake's sister was really powerful too, and I loved what Trevor said about "militias."

• Love 5

Just saw the TDS Trump RNC video. Once again, they knocked it out of the park. Jeffery Wright brings gravitas and humor . . . not quite as funny as Rosie O'Donnell pausing her narration in 2016 to curse the then-candidate out, but you had some funny and horrific images. And for you old-school anime nerds out there, Gigantor was turned into a giant terrorist robot. I had to look it up . . . the nose is a giveaway.

image.png.02aa6fca9e46ea6cd1a1d07146d7d9e9.png

I do not envy Trevor. While he didn't have to deal with live shows and his troops scrambling for humor, this week has been fucking brutal for him. He has to do this FIVE nights this week. Meanwhile, John Oliver will probably spotlight the convention on his show on Sunday night from start to finish, AND he'll get to openly curse.

• Love 7
22 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

Just saw the TDS Trump RNC video. Once again, they knocked it out of the park. Jeffery Wright brings gravitas and humor . . . not quite as funny as Rosie O'Donnell pausing her narration in 2016 to curse the then-candidate out, but you had some funny and horrific images.

I loved the video. I have a feeling if someone showed Trump the video, without saying it was from The Daily Show, that he would think it was complimentary. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

I'm not sure about other late-night shows, but it feels like both this show and Last Week Tonight have been taking more time off during the pandemic, and I don't begrudge them for it one bit. In addition to the added complexity and stress of putting these shows together remotely, I can't imagine how tough it must be to continually be insightful and funny in the face of horrible news night after night when you're coming up on six months of limited social interaction. I miss them when they're not on, but Trevor, John Oliver, and anyone else can take as much time to recharge as they need, whenever they need it.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, angora said:

I'm not sure about other late-night shows, but it feels like both this show and Last Week Tonight have been taking more time off during the pandemic, and I don't begrudge them for it one bit. In addition to the added complexity and stress of putting these shows together remotely, I can't imagine how tough it must be to continually be insightful and funny in the face of horrible news night after night when you're coming up on six months of limited social interaction. I miss them when they're not on, but Trevor, John Oliver, and anyone else can take as much time to recharge as they need, whenever they need it.

I think Trevor would’ve had a week off under “normal“ circumstances because it’s the week before Labor Day. There should also be a week off for the Emmys, though I don’t know how that will go down.