Type keyword(s) to search

TDS 3.0 Season Five Talk

• Start Topic

Watching last night’s episode on DVR. Opening segment gave me two memories of John Oliver. The first was the bit on Steve Mneuchin. Trevor called him “Corporate Kylo Ren,” but I remember John continually praising his looks since they look alike. Then there was Teevor bringing up koalas having chlamydia. Basically, John (or HBO) bought Russell Crowe’s jockstrap in his post-divorce auction, he donated the money to the Irwins, and they named a chlamydia Ward for koalas after John. Really.

The bit with Jesus probably not liking the image of himself crucified reminded me of Bill Hicks comparing that to coming up to Jackie Onassis with a rifle pendant. 

• Love 1
9 hours ago, Robert Lynch said:

That prime minister from Australia.......just wow.

Yeah - I love how he was booed and run off, while our California firefighters were cheered and welcomed with open arms.

When we were in the midst of the firestorms, I remember a bunch of Australian firefighters coming to California to help us; it is heartbreaking that we can now return the favor.

I hope I never meet a climate change denier in person, because I'd surely throat punch them.

• Love 4

I just watched Matthew A. Cherry's animated short Hair Love. It's such a sweet and adorable film that will leave you with the feels at the end. I do hope Cherry wins the Oscar for his short.

Here's the short, in case you haven't seen it.

Also, big, big, BIIIG shoutout to Chris Hadfield. The first Canadian to walk in space, the first Canadian to command a space station, and a Hometown Hero™ of ours from Sarnia, Ontario, who took pictures of our city from up in space (they named our local airport after him BEFORE he became a space station commander) 8D.

• Love 4
19 minutes ago, Robert Lynch said:

Jordan has the patience of a saint when it comes to the Trumpers.😳I simply cannot and will not....well, you get the point.

In regard to Jordan . . . why is it that people running a rally don't give the others a heads-up about someone that would make them look like fools? I like the results, but you'd think people would have gotten head shots of potential jokesters,  including the entire TDS news team.

In the wake of SOTU, the acquittal, and certain people gloating, it’s hard to feel positive. But Trevor Noah takes a little of the hurt away. Also helping: Roy donning the graying mustache for “CP Time.” And like his Uncle Beebo, I like Oreo Blizzards as well.

On 2/4/2020 at 11:46 PM, Lantern7 said:

In regard to Jordan . . . why is it that people running a rally don't give the others a heads-up about someone that would make them look like fools? I like the results, but you'd think people would have gotten head shots of potential jokesters,  including the entire TDS news team.

I'm not sure whether they have enough self-awareness to know they are acting foolish.

• Love 1

I really liked Jaboukie's piece with that group of LGBTQ voters. It reminded me of the sit-down Roy did a while back with Black voters. Both showcased how varied opinions and experiences are within the same community and that "winning the LGBTQ/Black/(insert identity here) vote" requires a lot more thoughtfulness and listening than just some quick pandering.

• Love 1

It annoyed me, though, that he kept framing it as being about whether folks think Pete is too gay or not gay enough, rather than what I actually hear from people in my community, which is that it's not how gay he or anyone else is, but WHAT THEIR POLICY PROPOSALS ARE. And it's ironic, I guess, that "the gay candidate" is not nearly as popular with gay people as some of his competitors, but it's because some of the others have done more and proposed more in the way of addressing issues that affect us. I have not met one single person who complains that he's not gay enough. He's hella gay! But that's not the point at all.

• Love 1
(edited)

I can't stop laughing at the car going over the bridge. I guess it is admirable the driver was willing to sacrifice himself than hit the pedestrians but like Trevor said "Why didn't he stop?" 

Edited by Arcadiasw

I can guess what TV channel the old guy in Florida watches who was poo-pooing the corona virus. 

Man, did I enjoy seeing and hearing montage of Trump misspeaking and slurring. It's kind of a gift how he completely ignores his mistake and just keeps going. I got an even bigger laugh when Trevor used those same words in his bit.

And now I'm on to DailyShowBracket.com.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I can guess what TV channel the old guy in Florida watches who was poo-pooing the corona virus. 

Man, did I enjoy seeing and hearing montage of Trump misspeaking and slurring. It's kind of a gift how he completely ignores his mistake and just keeps going. I got an even bigger laugh when Trevor used those same words in his bit.

And now I'm on to DailyShowBracket.com.

That does not surprise me at all, especially since it is Florida. 

After the clip of Bernie saying he would ask Biden, "What are you going to do when..." I love when Trevor broke into the Cops song.

I never heard of Lil Dickie and wasn't looking forward to the interview, but seeing the clip of his show Dave piqued my interest. He was charming and funny. I liked him a lot and will check out his show.

"Pandumbic." Perfect.

• Love 1

That address, goodness gracious. I loved, "An Oval Office address shouldn't be like 'Two Truths and a Lie'!", and the stuff about the "foreign" virus and the latest travel ban was gross. "The U.K. has 'the border'? Does he mean 'the water'? Does he think the virus can't swim?" Good grief.

The song was fun too. I especially liked the line about the guy who came to kill Trevor but then was won over by his jokes.

Also, it makes me smile that Trevor's no-touch greeting for Black guests is the Wakanda salute.

• Love 4
29 minutes ago, angora said:

"An Oval Office address shouldn't be like 'Two Truths and a Lie'!"

I hadn't seen any clips before, but it genuinely seemed to me that Trump might not have been feeling well, with a bit of congestion and scratchy voice.

43 minutes ago, angora said:

Also, it makes me smile that Trevor's no-touch greeting for Black guests is the Wakanda salute.

I love that, too.

9 minutes ago, 2727 said:

I hadn't seen any clips before, but it genuinely seemed to me that Trump might not have been feeling well, with a bit of congestion and scratchy voice.

He has sounded like that in many addresses. He does a lot of sniffing. Maybe it's congestion or postnasal drip or whatever, or maybe it's a tic that comes out when he has to read a speech. Also, I'm going to guess that it's not that he was ailing, but he's kinda down in the dumps with all the bad news and criticism.

I loved seeing the pre- and post-speech clips. When Trevor introduced them I was afraid they'd be joke clips not real.

Monkeys on a rampage for food was terrifying. Like Trevor, I think monkeys can be the scariest animal. I cracked up at Trevor doing the monkey using sign language. "I'm going to kill you."

• Love 1

The full episode is available on Comedy Central's website.

Since they started the social-distancing edition, I've especially liked Trevor's calls to different correspondents where, yes, they still tell jokes and do bits, but they also just talk about what social distancing is like for them. Last night, it was Trevor and Desi comparing notes on being completely alone vs. being trapped in a small apartment with a kid. The first YouTube episode they did featured Trevor talking with Roy and admitting that his big fear was that he already has/had it and didn't realize because he was asymptomatic (same, Trevor.) Plus, the great exchange he and Roy did about how being able to get a coronavirus test is the true mark of celebrity - I loved them imagining rappers flexing/bragging about their coronavirus tests.

• Love 3

Whenever Trevor tells us something is "African something or other" or claims he's translating a word for us, I never feel confident that I can tell when he's telling the truth or just pulling a prank on we gullible fools.

What did he say was on the shelf behind him? African heritage domes? My search engine says that's not a thing.

I think I have a fairly creative mind, but I did believe him when he says it's not something sexual, because I couldn't think of how they could be.

I only caught tonight's episode, because I didn't know this all was happening before. But I think it's (mildly) funny that they've decided that since they're broadcasting from home they aren't going to shave or get dressed and they look like they haven't even showered.

I mean, it's not very long that we've been "distancing" and already people are acting like it's forever and they are abandoning any veneer of coping. It's a little frightening because it seems like things have hardly even begun and if folks are already wearing thin, what will it be like down the road?

I am usually pro-facial hair and casual attire, so I'm fine with it, but at the same time, I do think it's a comment on how people are reacting in general, and that does worry me a bit.

The line between humor and holy shit is often very thin with TDS, and always has been.

• Love 2

I saw a tweet today about Trump's statement that the population of Seoul was 38 million. The guy found that on Wikipedia it says that the elevation of Seoul is 38 m. That must be where Trump got that "fact."

Trump's hair is looking more grey than golden these days.

The interview betw Andrew Cuomo and Chris Cuomo was hilarious. Oh, and I loved Trevor's word of Cuomo-sexual.

• Love 4

Trevor! Look at the camera when you talk! His eyes and head keep swiveling all over the place when he's interviewing someone. 

He's seemed tired and a bit low the last couple of  recordings where he's wearing the green sweatshirt.

I like seeing the correspondents do a bit together. Being retired, "What day is it?" is almost exclusively the only thing  I ask Alexa. 

6 minutes ago, 2727 said:

Trevor! Look at the camera when you talk! His eyes and head keep swiveling all over the place when he's interviewing someone. 

He's seemed tired and a bit low the last couple of  recordings where he's wearing the green sweatshirt.

I like seeing the correspondents do a bit together. Being retired, "What day is it?" is almost exclusively the only thing  I ask Alexa. 

I’ve enjoyed the show, although I do miss the audience (non-canned) laughter. I wonder if extrovert Trevor misses it, too. 

And I don’t mind the scruffy beard, but my two teenage boys point out that Trevor is in desperate need of a haircut. 

I loved the analogy about state governors working in the absence of much of a federal response, comparing it to a family with an alcoholic parent where the kids have to take care of themselves. So true.

I laughed more than I should have at Trevor and the correspondents trying to figure out what day it was, especially Roy saying he no longer operates under the concept of days and no one believing it when Dulce checked her phone because there was no way it was still March.

• Love 1

Okay, for real, those orbs behind Trevor are decorative lamps, right? There's, like, a cord on the desktop. Right? Lol

I think I've already adjusted to the lack of an audience. And Trevor still does the absolute best accents. Thank dog the late night shows are back!

• Love 2

Yes, I like that Trevor is bringing people on for real talk.

I was irritated by Ronny last night. He wasn't funny OR informative with Yang, he was just annoying. What a waste. If you're going to ask people to show up, use the time or you won't have guests willing to participate or viewers willing to tune in.

(edited)

Man, the Moment of Zen pissed me off. If you missed it, the theme was "Heroes of the Pandumbic." Basically, it was every right-wing asshole you can imagine dismissing Coronavirus over the past few months. That includes ridicule from Hannity and the president . . . and at the end, they're both all, "Well, we've been taking this seriously the entire time." Sadly, neither Hannity nor any of those fuckwads are reporting from populated beaches.

I don't think I went too far. People like that are beyond exasperating.

Edited by Lantern7
  • Love 10