Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E02 Debts

• Start Topic

Dr. Marcus Andrews vows to help a good Samaritan who was injured while stopping a sexual assault; Dr. Audrey Lim faces a difficult decision when a young patient's parents suspect that Dr. Neil Melendez made a mistake.

5 hours ago, bros402 said:

Dr. Marcus Andrews vows to help a good Samaritan who was injured while stopping a sexual assault; Dr. Audrey Lim faces a difficult decision when a young patient's parents suspect that Dr. Neil Melendez made a mistake.

Is it really possible for someone's jaw to be damaged so badly that it has to be wired shut permanently? I call BS.

• Love 4

Yay for things ending on a more positive note for Shaun this episode. That ending with them settling in to share some chips was so sweet :). I'm glad he and Carly were able to talk things out a little more, too, both because they needed that and because it gave us a good opportunity to learn a little more about Carly as well. I liked her honesty in explaining her mindset about why she agreed to go out with him. Hopefully we'll continue to learn more about her as time goes on, too.

And speaking of honesty, the scene with Shaun and Andrews was really well done, too. I liked how Andrews handled that, and the way he complimented Shaun. 

Also really enjoyed everything with Lim. I'm enjoying seeing how she's handling her job as chief, and I admire her for standing firm with her remarks and stances on things. I especially loved her calling out Morgan for her blatant attempts to suck up. 

And yay for Claire being picked to lead a surgery! Well deserved-here's hoping it all goes well for her next week. Especially given all the stress with her mom. She could use a positive balance to all of that. 

• Love 14

Figured either Claire or Shaun was going to be the first to lead a surgery the more Reznick and Park kept bickering and trying to one-up one another, but even without all of that, I do think Claire is the right choice.  While I'm sure it can be debated who is "the best" out of this group, Claire has been the one that seems more consistent in her work and more level-headed under pressure, and will be up to tackling this challenging task (of course, next weeks previews hint at drama and suspense, but that is to be expected.)

Glad Shaun is rethinking his relationship with Carly (thanks to a combination of a few folks) and considering dating less about doing all of the extravagant dating and pressure, and simply spending time with someone he cares for: even if its just a bag of chips on the floor of the forensic lab!  Again, I do think Carly enjoys his company and is perfectly fine with just forgoing the dining out and whatnot, and just get to know him.  I still wouldn't be surprised if a romantic relationship doesn't work out for them, but I think it is good they are trying.

Hey, both cases worked out this time!  This episode's writer must have been in a good mood!

Not surprised that Lim and Melendez are having some struggles with her being his boss, but hopefully they'll work through it.

A good episode for Andrews and Hill Harper.

Edited by thuganomics85
  • Love 10

Yay for Claire! I am glad that she gets the first surgery, for as much as Morgan and Park are ambitious and talented, Claire was the one who was the most focused on her actual case and is one of the most clear headed of the surgeons. Plus she just deserves a win, she is always going through something or having some kind of trauma, and next week will probably be super stressful for her, so its nice to see her happy. And both cases got happy endings, AND Shaun and Carly had a nice talk and are giving it another try!

Carly and Shaun eating chips on the floor was sweet, its probably the best kind of date for Shaun. He wasnt unhappy with Carly, he was unhappy with all of the expectation put on a big "official date" so I think them just getting to know each other in familiar, less high pressure locations is for the best. We also got to know Carly a bit more, and I hope we continue to get to know her better, I like her a lot so far. 

Helping a homeless drug addict change their whole life isn't exactly the same as trying to stop a sexual assault happening right in front of you Andrews. Of course he was clearly projecting his own regrets about helping Shaun onto this poor guy, and it ended up with him finally making peace with his choices. It was a good episode for Andrews, and him as a resident is an interesting new dynamic for the team. 

I am continuing to enjoy watching Lim deal with being the new chief, and how it affects her and Melendez and their relationship, and her managerial style in general. I do hope they can make it work out! I loved her calling Morgan out on her clear brown nosing, that was hilarious. 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 10
5 hours ago, Annber03 said:

Also really enjoyed everything with Lim. I'm enjoying seeing how she's handling her job as chief, and I admire her for standing firm with her remarks and stances on things. I especially loved her calling out Morgan for her blatant attempts to suck up. 

Lim is such a great addition to the series.  I just love her.  What was her line... something about "If I  even get a hint of a puckered lip, you'll go to the bottom of the list."  It was a great line and I loved her calling her on it.  The "competition" between Morgan and Park was getting tedious and it was only the second episode.

I too am glad Claire is getting  the first solo.  It didn't come from nowhere, I remember that Claire was the first resident Lim worked closely with in almost her first appearance.  And even though they didn't start off in a great place, they ended up great.  In that case Claire made a great save and she learned a valuable lesson and Lim gained some respect for her.

• Love 10

Off topic, but the guy who took the skateboard to the face was pretty hot.

I liked the little detail of Emily's little sister having autism because it's very true to life. In my experience as a disabled person, able people generally only go out of their way to talk to/befriend you if they have a personal connection to the community (disabled friend/family member, special ed teacher, therapist, etc).

Melendez/Lim continue to be the sexiest boring couple ever. Are Reznick and Park going to continue blowing raspberries at each other like 10-year-olds all season? Either kiss or fight, but do it soon because I'm bored already.

Lea has been, dare I say, palatable since they finally toned down the manic pixie dream girl and shifted to making her Shaun's bro/wingman (for now). Please keep it that way.

Claire's mom looks the same age as her!

• Love 4

This episode had a lot of feel good moments.  Shaun and Carly are very sweet together.  I'm really coming to love Andrews.  I actually enjoyed Leah.  Park and Reznick make me laugh.  I hope Lim and Melendez can stay strong together, I think they bring out the best in each other.  No one thing in particular stood out, but as a whole everything just worked.  Something about this show just puts me in a happy place.  

• Love 7
(edited)
18 hours ago, Prairie Fire said:

Is it really possible for someone's jaw to be damaged so badly that it has to be wired shut permanently? I call BS.

I googled it right when they said that, and every article I found said it is a temporary measure while stuff heals (Temporary being up to six months to a year, I think one article said?)

Also this episode was pretty good - I still cannot remember Asterisk's characters name. Carla?

The character pairings were enjoyable. Lea was good, Glassy was good.

Edited by bros402
  • Love 3

I liked this episode a lot, but the storyline with the baby bothered me because wouldn't you have a pediatric surgeon doing this?

I really liked the way Park put Reznick in her place and at the end he said to her "If you were chief resident, you'd be a nightmare boss."  It's true and he was trying to sabotage her not for his benefit, but for her downfall.  And she fell for it, hook, line, and sinker.

It's interesting that they seem to be trying to rehabilitate her, but at the same time, realizing that she has a long way to go and it may be a gradual thing that happens, or maybe it never does.

I liked the storyline with Carly, but again it seemed a little fast that Shaun would go the route with the bag of chips.  I don't think that it's impossible, but it seemed a bit soon for him to make that leap.  I realize that this is a show with a limited number of episodes, and they wanted to push that storyline forward, but...

I did like the young woman at the end coming to visit the hero who reminded me a little of Matt Damon.  I'd love to see a follow up down the line.  There are actually quite a few cases where it would be nice to see a follow up.

Edited by aemom
Typo
  • Love 3

I'm glad he and Carly were able to talk things out a little more, too, both because they needed that and because it gave us a good opportunity to learn a little more about Carly as well. I liked her honesty in explaining her mindset about why she agreed to go out with him.

It's as though the writers read my last "The Good Doctor" post. It's hard to see Carly going on a date with Shaun with a motivation that doesn't involve pity or curiosity. 

On 10/2/2019 at 9:35 AM, aemom said:

I liked the storyline with Carly, but again it seemed a little fast that Shaun would go the route with the bag of chips.  I don't think that it's impossible, but it seemed a bit soon for him to make that leap.  I realize that this is a show with a limited number of episodes, and they wanted to push that storyline forward, but...

I think that Shaun's entire thing wasn't Carly or even dating per se but what he thought dating was supposed to be like.  Not just Shaun, but a lot of people believe a date has to involve flowers and fancy dinner and that sort of thing is stressful if that is not your personality.   My first date with my husband was a Jazz Fest where we stood around, listened to music and ate food truck food. 

So when Carly made a comment about the walk in the park being their second date and coupled with Claire's comments about sitting on a couch with chips, it flipped a switch in his head and he could process it in those terms in a way all the other advice from everyone else just wouldn't allow.

2 hours ago, mojito said:

It's as though the writers read my last "The Good Doctor" post. It's hard to see Carly going on a date with Shaun with a motivation that doesn't involve pity or curiosity. 

I liked this development.  I think it is a case where Carly really does like Shaun as a person and even finds him attractive but would have never thought of him romantically.  But when the opportunity came she took it to to see if maybe she could see him differently.  No different really than someone you never thought about that way,  letting you know they like you and it forces you to view them through that lens as well.  Shaun's autism just adds another dimension to that calculus of thought.  And I liked her honestly there.  Much more gratifying  than having her do some neurotypical version of 'I don't see color."

Edited by DearEvette
  • Love 6

Someone mentioned above that the writers must have been have a good day (or something like that), since both patients survived.

I was thinking the whole last 30 minutes of the show that one of them would die.  I just knew the writers wouldn't let both survive.  I was so torn, really I was!  I didn't want either one of them to die.  So, I buried my face in my afghan and kept repeating, "This is not real, it is TV.  This is not real, it is TV."  When I finally peeked out and saw the baby's family hugging the surgeons, I knew the baby would live.  When it got close to the time for the show to end and our hero was able to talk, I knew we wouldn't be facing infection or some other life-threatening post-surgery stuff.  Whew!  This show is gonna kill me with all this drama - LOL.

• Love 5
On 10/1/2019 at 10:32 PM, Prairie Fire said:

I only pay limited attention as my wife watches this and I'm not into the show. I find it difficult to believe that much damage was caused and especially on a train. Then again if the thug was on drugs anything is possible. 

Also an important reminder about the dangers of playing white knight.

In terms of BS they just simply wouldn't have someone like "The Good Doctor" working as a doctor to begin with. So I guess they can do what they like in their little fantasy land.

Edited by Forsaken
On 10/1/2019 at 5:32 AM, Prairie Fire said:

What I found unrealistic is that they let him talk within hours of surgery.  Surely they would wrap him in bandages and keep his jaw immobile for a few days to allow the graft to "attach"?  (I know nothing about medicine by the way!)

• Love 5
9 hours ago, Forsaken said:

I only pay limited attention as my wife watches this and I'm not into the show. I find it difficult to believe that much damage was caused and especially on a train. Then again if the thug was on drugs anything is possible. 

Also an important reminder about the dangers of playing white knight.

In terms of BS they just simply wouldn't have someone like "The Good Doctor" working as a doctor to begin with. So I guess they can do what they like in their little fantasy land.

In my brain, when I turn a skateboard into what is essentially a baseball bat with a metal roller skate attached, I can easily see it ripping through someone's face like that.  Yeesh - shudder!

• Love 5
17 hours ago, Forsaken said:

Ehh, a doctor with autism is definitely possible.

A doctor with autism who functions at the level Shaun does? Yeah, that takes a bit of suspension of disbelief - he should at least be *willing* to try social skills therapy.

• Love 1
On 10/5/2019 at 4:39 PM, bros402 said:

Ehh, a doctor with autism is definitely possible.

A doctor with autism who functions at the level Shaun does? Yeah, that takes a bit of suspension of disbelief - he should at least be *willing* to try social skills therapy.

Genius or not he really wouldn't instill any faith in me if he were talking to me. Social skills a definite must.

• Love 1
On 10/2/2019 at 9:35 AM, aemom said:

the hero who reminded me a little of Matt Damon.

I am glad I am not the only one who thought that.  I really like this fellow's sense of humor, too, in the midst of all of the hard decisions and that painful recovery.  And it would be nice to see a follow up on him and his new friend.

• Love 9
16 hours ago, Forsaken said:

Genius or not he really wouldn't instill any faith in me if he were talking to me. Social skills a definite must.

He's a surgeon. They're at the bottom of the totem pole for social skills.  A friend of my father's once told a patient who asked a question about his upcoming surgery "If you want a medical education, go to medical school." And he wasn't even on the spectrum.

People who are on the autism spectrum can have superior visual-spatial skills, which could definitely aid in surgery.  Maybe that's why they're always showing Shaun visualizing internal organs

• Love 8
On 10/6/2019 at 1:36 PM, statsgirl said:

He's a surgeon. They're at the bottom of the totem pole for social skills.  A friend of my father's once told a patient who asked a question about his upcoming surgery "If you want a medical education, go to medical school." And he wasn't even on the spectrum.

People who are on the autism spectrum can have superior visual-spatial skills, which could definitely aid in surgery.  Maybe that's why they're always showing Shaun visualizing internal organs

Sure, but you would still have to make the patient feel comfortable with your skills. I don't think this Doctor would manage that. I would have wanted another doctor in regards to the one you used as an example. That is just pure arrogance. If you can't explain what it is you are going to do to my body than you don't get to put me to sleep and operate on me. 

• Love 1
12 hours ago, statsgirl said:

I agree, doctors no matter what their specialty need to have empathy.

And learn empathy if they don't already have it. I don't think that being autistic is a dealbreaker though.

They need to at least be able to fake empathy.

• Love 4
On 10/5/2019 at 10:36 PM, statsgirl said:

I had minor surgery last year and my surgeon had great social skills. He was friendly, made me feel comfortable, explained everything, etc.

If he had been awkward or rude I would have looked for another doctor after the initial consult. Maybe surgeons at a hospital can be less social cause a person who was rushed to the hospital doesn't have the luxury of finding someone else. I think Shaun would certainly struggle with trying to run his own practice.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

I had minor surgery last year and my surgeon had great social skills. He was friendly, made me feel comfortable, explained everything, etc.

If he had been awkward or rude I would have looked for another doctor after the initial consult. Maybe surgeons at a hospital can be less social cause a person who was rushed to the hospital doesn't have the luxury of finding someone else. I think Shaun would certainly struggle with trying to run his own practice.

Shaun is definitely someone I see more in a hospital setting - like trauma surgeon. Or maybe a highly specialized surgeon who just deals with weird/rare stuff, where you don't really have a choice as to the surgeon, because there's only a few in the country who might fully understand the situation (Happened with me with my cancer - I saw a doctor with horrible bedside manner for 2 years before I found another doctor who had treated it before). Picture House, but no limp, and not played by Hugh Laurie, that is how my oncologist acted.

When did Carly mention Andie before? I seriously had no idea who she was talking about. It's only reading here that I see it's her sister with autism?

Anyway, I thought this was a solid episode. Still don't like Resnick, but she pairs well with Park.

• Love 1
44 minutes ago, Trini said:

When did Carly mention Andie before? I seriously had no idea who she was talking about. It's only reading here that I see it's her sister with autism?

Anyway, I thought this was a solid episode. Still don't like Resnick, but she pairs well with Park.

She mentioned it in the first episode of the season, I believe.