Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E02: Breaking Up Is Hard to Do

• Start Topic

I got a kick out of Meg the sister of his friend putting another "bone in his pocket" and Wade's grin at the end when her sister is leading him away from her... "man she will tear your pants right off".

Edited by Armchair Critic
  • Love 9

This show is so good. I like it! But I'm gonna need more of the focus to be on the adults and less on the children who are far less engaging. Wade's daughters are cute  but the other  family's kids are not all that.

• Love 6

I'd kind of like to see Meg with Wade. They seemed cute.

Walton Goggins (who most decidedly DOES have an IG account) posing for IG pics was just cuter than I could stand. While I still prefer him being a silky southern tongued devil, he's selling the nice, sweet, sort of nerdy guy much better than I could have imagined. Also, he looks really hot in those glasses.

• Love 9

I LOVE this show. I love his actions with his daughters. And I love Walton Goggins. I laughed quite a bit yesterday. No you aren't allowed to Words with Friends with her. And the bit with the bangs, "She got bangs, I thought she might be having self doubts". LOL!

• LOL 1
  • Love 8

I'm still really enjoying this show and I liked the addition of the sister (although I'm not sure if I'd want to see her every week).  Man, it really doesn't seem like Wade is ready to be dating.  Or using social media.  I mean, I think the re-entry to that world is hard, but I think I would like to see him step in and out of it for a while so that it doesn't become the dominant story line of the show.  I think there is enough with him and his daughters to keep the show going.

• Love 6

I really, REALLY wanted to like this show because I love Walton Goggins, but so far its playing like some male fantasy fulfillment.  I don't mind that Wade is clueless. I do mind that Wade is totally passive but has tons of women throwing themselves at him. Realistically, HE wouldn't have got a second date this episode. 

I don't appreciate the offensive stereotyping I saw, with the hypersexualized divorcee in the pilot and the hypersexualized black woman in this episode. Wade doesn't seem like he wants to date and maybe he shouldn't be dating.  Goggins and the rest of the cast are bringing their A-game. The premise just isn't there. 

• Love 3

I'm liking it.  The writers are doing a nice job of him being a bit clueless on the finer aspects of  dating in current life, but having teen daughters to get him through some situations, like reacting the bangs thing.  Very cute, and what the dad of a teen girl would experience.

I like the friends too, they aren't too outrageous, hypercritical of him or obnoxious.  The kids are fine, no complaints. 

It's a nice change for Walton, though I'll always love him as Boyd, and would dig coal with him any day! 🙂 

• Love 5

I thought this episode was better than the pilot, but it still hasn't made me laugh.  Which is disappointing because I like my comedies to be funny, and actually make me laugh.  I appreciate that Wade is a nice guy and tries to be a good dad though, so that's something.

I thought this was pretty good. Walton Goggins as a lovably dorky dad posing for an Instagram wall is way more adorable that it has any right to be. I like Wades relationship with his daughters a lot, and that his attempts at dating and using social media are messy, but not a total debacle. Just freaking out about the little things (I can still be her Facebook friend!) that people can obsess over and deal with while dating, especially in an environment they arent used to. 

"Did you grow up in a John Cougar Mellencamp song?"

• LOL 1
  • Love 8

I think this episode worked fairly well. I agree that the other kid who aren't Wade's aren't interesting to me at all, but the adults and Wade's kids work well. 

I liked the social media stuff. Wade learning about dating etiquette with social media was fairly good. I'm getting used to Walton Goggins playing a more nuanced character, but he's doing a good job at it.

I think the only adult who actually annoys me is Forrest, Rob Corddry's character. He's being pushy with Wade while all the other friends are still, at least, trying to ease him in to dating. 

• Love 2
14 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

I think the only adult who actually annoys me is Forrest, Rob Corddry's character. He's being pushy with Wade while all the other friends are still, at least, trying to ease him in to dating. 

Completely agree. 

I love this show whole-heartedly now. My husband got some clippings from his mother about their family history. She is convinced Walton Goggins is a relative and she might be right. So I started the first episode for my husband to show him Walton (could be a family resemblance. He has a really distinct mouth and there is a lot of that smile in my wedding album), and he kept laughing and we watched the whole episode. I'd watched the first alone, thinking maybe a show about a widower might not be his cup of tea right now, as his wife is dying but we both watched the first and second together, and it actually makes the whole thing funnier (could be us, my sense of humor is pretty dark, and I love laughing through this). They just strike a tone I like, not cloying but not playing the dead wife for laughs. There's real heart. 

Nicole Byer (looked it up) as Meg delights me. I love the cast, love the jokes, love how they all act like friends, laughing in reaction shots, and such chemistry. 

• Love 5
On 10/4/2019 at 3:02 AM, Armchair Critic said:

I got a kick out of Meg the sister of his friend putting another "bone in his pocket" and Wade's grin at the end when her sister is leading him away from her... "man she will tear your pants right off".

Just in case you didn't know, the character of Meg was played by Nicole Byer. She's basically like that character in real life, or at least the comedy she does based on her real life.

On 10/7/2019 at 4:34 PM, Lady Calypso said:

I think this episode worked fairly well. I agree that the other kid who aren't Wade's aren't interesting to me at all, but the adults and Wade's kids work well. 

I liked the other couple's kids. Their son was SOOO cute. That face was everything. I thought that including them in this episode helped to flesh out how involved Wade and his friends are in each others' lives. They're more like extended family to each other since it appears they have dinners together on top of carpooling and having their kids play soccer together.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, piccadilly83 said:

Just in case you didn't know, the character of Meg was played by Nicole Byer. She's basically like that character in real life, or at least the comedy she does based on her real life.

Thanks, I didn't know about her, I may have to check out her comedy.

1 hour ago, piccadilly83 said:

I liked the other couple's kids. Their son was SOOO cute. That face was everything.

The one eating the food to impress the daughter had the best expressions

• Love 1
On 10/8/2019 at 8:59 AM, Darian said:

My husband got some clippings from his mother about their family history. She is convinced Walton Goggins is a relative and she might be right. So I started the first episode for my husband to show him Walton (could be a family resemblance. He has a really distinct mouth and there is a lot of that smile in my wedding album), and he kept laughing and we watched the whole episode. I'd watched the first alone, thinking maybe a show about a widower might not be his cup of tea right now, as his wife is dying but we both watched the first and second together, and it actually makes the whole thing funnier (could be us, my sense of humor is pretty dark, and I love laughing through this). They just strike a tone I like, not cloying but not playing the dead wife for laughs. There's real heart.

I'm sorry to hear this, and yes, that's a dark sense of humor you have.  I haven't tuned in since the pilot, but if you're seeing heart, maybe it's worth another chance.

• Love 2

I know it's easy to assume that 40-somethings don't know anything about technology (see also: The Great Indoors and Younger), but I thought it was more believable that Wade knows about some of it but not about dating apps or more youth oriented things like Lime. And it made sense that he didn't get the new dating etiquette at all since stuff like Facebook and Instagram didn't exist back when he was dating 20 years ago.

As confusing as the new dating etiquette is to Wade, imagine what it would be like if his character were a woman - it's been almost two decades since she dated and now that she's been widowed and is trying online dating for the first time, she is immediately inundated with unsolicited dick pics and messages asking for nudes.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
On 10/10/2019 at 11:05 PM, AuntiePam said:

I'm sorry to hear this, and yes, that's a dark sense of humor you have.  I haven't tuned in since the pilot, but if you're seeing heart, maybe it's worth another chance.

His wife is dying?!