Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E10: Day 9: 8:00 PM-9:00 PM

maraleia

I don't want Chloe to die either, but the death flags keep piling on to her. Adrian basically saying that her life for the past few years has been based on his lying by omission felt like the straw on top of the camel.

Yeah, it's like each scene was attaching a new cement block to her feet so that she'll sink ever so faster when they throw Chloe into the Death Pool. Which-- noooooo! I want her to be the one associate of Jack's that survives all these years of crap.

• Love 2
(edited)
Yeah, it's like each scene was attaching a new cement block to her feet so that she'll sink ever so faster when they throw Chloe into the Death Pool. Which-- noooooo! I want her to be the one associate of Jack's that survives all these years of crap.

Though Chloe dying, after all this time and Jack's 9 bad days, would finally be enough to drive Jack over the edge -- even more so than Terri dying back in Season One..

Edited by ottoDbusdriver

Add me to the list of "where the heck are the London cops?"  Not that anything ever makes 100% sense in the world of 24, but my understanding is that regular citizens in London don't have hand guns.  Meanwhile Navarro and Jack are running through the streets brandishing weapons, at 8 p.m. to 9 p.m., Navarro clock a cop and takes his gun, and no one even seems to be bothered.  Maybe in the world of 24 Londoners are used to crazy Americans chasing each other with guns?  It just struck me extra silly.  Like the exploding "thumb drive" of yore.

I was doubtful at first, but Kate has turned out to be my favorite partner in action for Jack (Chloe is the best at what she does, but she's rarely is in the gun battles and whatnot) in all the series.

I was thinking the same thing as Jack was running through the subway station and no one seemed to care or even notice. WTF?

Chloe does get Honorable Mention for that time in season 4 when she unloaded an entire clip of ammo into a bad guy.

I agree with kariyaki if that is the scene where she gets the M-16 from the police car in that neighborhood scene; I forget the set-up and overall storyline at the moment.

Which partner was Jack talking about?  He's lost quite a few.  (Renee?  Curtis?  Agent Charlie Brown?  Not to mention Tony and Michelle.)  When he started speaking to Kate I thought he was going to say how Terri died as a result of his actions.  That would have been more analogous to Kate's grief about her husband.

oh i so enjoy the TWOP (RIP) reference to Agent Charlie Brown. that brings me great joy, and remembrances of Rancho Narcotico (TM MGiant).

(edited)

I was thinking the same thing as Jack was running through the subway station and no one seemed to care or even notice. WTF?

I agree with kariyaki if that is the scene where she gets the M-16 from the police car in that neighborhood scene; I forget the set-up and overall storyline at the moment.

There was some consternation when Jack was following Simone.  He wasn't being quite as obvious when chasing Steve.  Rude and shovy, but not so much gunplay in the subway station.  Now, the gunplay out on the street, yeah, that was kinda obvious.

The Chloe Scene: Much fun for being such a surprise when it first aired—Chloe being sent out into field, everyone gets nervous.  (If Jordan had known about this he would have been much more genre saavy.)  Situation was that there was a random tip from a woman who found strange stuff on her boyfriend's computer.  Bill sent Chloe out to go look at it, along with a couple of expendable CTU guys.  Meanwhile, over in the rugged mountains of Iowa, Marwan's minions are concerned about the girlfriend, so they call LA to have her dealt with by Marwan's Cleaner Guy.

Exclamation points begin!  In!  The!  Style!  Of!  Recaps!  Here!

Predictably, the CTU landing party gets taken out by Marwan's Cleaner Guy!  Chloe grabs the computer and The Marwan Minion's Girlfriend and they escape to the CTU car, but they don't have the keys!  Marwan's Cleaner Guy finds out that the car is bulletproof, much to everyone's great surprise!  Chloe notices that there's a rifle conveniently available behind her, but it's locked in place!  Marwan's Cleaner Guy gets his Jeep Cherokee of Ramming and rams the CTU car!  Curtis has Edgar find the lock code for the rifle!  Marwan's Cleaner Guy shoots the one neighbor that ever notices a sudden gunfire party going on next door!  Curtis gets the lock code to Chloe!  Marwan's Cleaner Guy revs up his Jeep Cherokee of Ramming now that he's got an entire driveway to build up speed on!

...and then Chloe empties all thirty rounds into him, causing everyone to go "YEAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!"  Ticking clock!

Edited by WhoAmIWorkingFor
  • Love 4
(edited)

Great acting job by the guy who plays Mark when he realizes that his attempt to finally be rid of the man his wife is really in love with has resulting in the end of the world. 

Glad you said this. Tate Donovan came in for criticism around these parts near the beginning of this season. I found him to be an always-interesting actor in Damages and I find him to be an always-interesting actor on this show. He doesn't overdo, underline, or telegraph. He just goes quietly about the business of making you feel what's it's like to be trapped between a rock and a hard place.

Edited by Milburn Stone
  • Love 2

Though Chloe dying, after all this time and Jack's 9 bad days, would finally be enough to drive Jack over the edge -- even more so than Terri dying back in Season One..

Would he be further over the edge if he thought she was guilty (trust no one forevermore) or if he thought she was innocent (his closest ally gone forever)? 

(Yeah, I know, if one is actually over an edge, they are over the edge - just like you can't be a little bit pregnant - but let's assume that it is possible to be more over the edge or less over the edge)

I screamed when Navarro was smugly demanding full immunity because I thought they were going to give it to him, and then cheered when Kate made it unnecessary.

So Mark actively sought to allow the Russians to take Jack, all because he's insecure about his small penis?  Oops, we need Jack to recover the doohickey that can start World War 3?  "I've left you THREE messages, call off the hit on Bauer!!!!"  Hahahahahaha.  I hope he's so done.  Audrey is clearly going to leave him.  Hope he and Navarro both get the death penalty for treason.  

Cheng Zhi is awesome as usual.  Glad that we have seen the last of Cross.  He was a pretty useless villain.  We barely knew anything about him other than the fact that, like Mark Boudreau, he has an intense jealousy of Jack Bauer.

I don't think Chloe will die, if only because I would think they would want to keep open the possibility of future seasons, and she and Jack are the constants.

• Love 2

I screamed when Navarro was smugly demanding full immunity because I thought they were going to give it to him, and then cheered when Kate made it unnecessary.

So Mark actively sought to allow the Russians to take Jack, all because he's insecure about his small penis?  Oops, we need Jack to recover the doohickey that can start World War 3?  "I've left you THREE messages, call off the hit on Bauer!!!!"  Hahahahahaha.  I hope he's so done.  Audrey is clearly going to leave him.  Hope he and Navarro both get the death penalty for treason.  

Cheng Zhi is awesome as usual.  Glad that we have seen the last of Cross.  He was a pretty useless villain.  We barely knew anything about him other than the fact that, like Mark Boudreau, he has an intense jealousy of Jack Bauer.

I don't think Chloe will die, if only because I would think they would want to keep open the possibility of future seasons, and she and Jack are the constants.

I think it's far more likely that Jack dies than Chloe.

(edited)

Cheng Zhi!! The Russians!! Jack and Kate (not the LOST variety)!! All converging. Not.

I love that Cheng is back and I concur the thought expressed earlier (but totally ignored) that at this rate we are going to see Behrooz back too (personally I wouldn't mind). So as Cheng starts WW3, people here who think Chloe's days are numbered are onto something. But I'd like to say this to the writers: please don't kill her off, killing Chloe is unacceptable. There's no acceptable reason whatsoever. The shock will be instant but the damage will be long lasting. We've seen Jack lose Terri, we've seen him lose Renee and season 8 was compelling because of Jack's revenge agenda; and seeing him sink into the abyss, only to be pulled back from the brink by Chloe. In S7 we saw Tony going through a similar arc, thereby justifying killing off Michelle.

Killing Chloe now would be just redundant, there's no upside in seeing this same arc repeated. Already this season we saw how Jack's actions have changed him somewhat - throwing Marg through the window instead of handing her over, not offering Navarro immunity even though he is trained to withstand torture. And he told Kate that the pain never goes away, just learn to live with it. See? That's adding layers to plot from 4 years ago. Killing Chloe off sweeps that away. Besides, who's going to be on comm when Jack's in hot pursuit?

Edited by Boundary
  • Love 2

You know, I used to think no one suffered more losses than Jack but I think Chloe might have him beat.  She's lost her husband, her son, her lover, her ex-lover, her best friend, and a shitload of friends, colleagues and bosses.  I don't know how she can go on after this because she truly has nothing left.

• Love 2

You know, I used to think no one suffered more losses than Jack but I think Chloe might have him beat.  She's lost her husband, her son, her lover, her ex-lover, her best friend, and a shitload of friends, colleagues and bosses.  I don't know how she can go on after this because she truly has nothing left.

RIP Edgar.

• Love 1
(edited)

This episode reminded me of a radio parody of Allo, Allo where the Gestapo come in to arrest the entire cast - only for the continuity announcer to declare "We apologise for this sudden outbreak of reality in tonight's episode - we'll correct it as soon as possible." Having been (so far) a relatively limited plot about terrorists getting their hands on a device which really could exist, suddenly the override is a "Hack Anything!" device and we're starting World War Three, with the USA, Russia and China all in the mix (Nukes Ago go!).

Glad to see that for once the incoming station chief actually didn't follow the traditions of bosses past and seeing his first priority as being to establish he's got the biggest swinging dick first and seeing the terror plot du jour as being a minor annoyance. When you combine that with this employment policy:

WhoAmIWorkingFor Alternatively, in the tradition of CTUs past, "I have no idea who he is, he just walked in that day the coffee machine was radioactive.  But since he's getting the job done without any drama, he can stay."

....It's not surprising they suffer so many moles!

Edited by John Potts

Wow...another action packed episode.  In a pretty much action packed season to date.  And now we have our favorite Chinese rogue agent involved.  Don't get me wrong -- I love the twist.  But I hope they aren't writing themselves into a corner here with the result being a completely FUBAR'ed conclusion.  Especially now that there are, what, 2-3 episodes left?  As of now though I am most thoroughly enjoying the ride.

With the "but your hand is on the table" move, once again Jack is excercising his "I don't give a fuck" card.  Fine with me.  And didn't President Heller say something to the effect of, "You have a full pardon, including for the events of today."  Not clear how that would work with future events of the day.  But he knows that whatever happens, Jack will make sure everything is wrapped up at the end of that day.  :)   But I am wondering if that is part of his motivation.  That he feels he does have the proverbial "get of jail free" card for the events of this day.

I just had a feeling even before that final scene or two that things wouldn't end well for Cross.  I just hope he doesn't cause Chloe's demise now as well.  It was good of him to finally reveal the truth to her though. 

Two things would royally piss me off if they do wind up taking place.  1)  If Chloe dies.  Especially considering how pissed off I *still* am about Renee's (pointless) death.  And 2) if they do hand over Jack to the Russians in the end.  That would truly sucketh.

Otherwise now I am enjoying this season immensely. 

• Love 2

Add me to the list of "where the heck are the London cops?"  Not that anything ever makes 100% sense in the world of 24, but my understanding is that regular citizens in London don't have hand guns.  Meanwhile Navarro and Jack are running through the streets brandishing weapons, at 8 p.m. to 9 p.m., Navarro clock a cop and takes his gun, and no one even seems to be bothered.  Maybe in the world of 24 Londoners are used to crazy Americans chasing each other with guns?  It just struck me extra silly.  Like the exploding "thumb drive" of yore.

I was doubtful at first, but Kate has turned out to be my favorite partner in action for Jack (Chloe is the best at what she does, but she's rarely is in the gun battles and whatnot) in all the series.

Well now we come to 24 being in real time with a clock ticking on screen. From the time Navarro assaulted the cop with the assault rifle and the civilians on that scenes fleeing before he opened fire on Jack to his arrest was like three minutes. Perhaps they should have had sirens as the local police moved in, in the background noise but that would have broken away from Jack attacking alone.

(edited)

The situation on the streets of London is alternating between plausible and less plausible for me... the guy that Navarro knocked out looked more like a soldier than a regular police officer. (I'm not even sure that even in a crisis the Met would be giving out L85 rifles when most of the police still don't use firearms very often.)  Having soldiers out on the street would make sense, given that the terrorist threat barely had wrapped up an hour previously and usually it takes hours for everything to be given an all clear.

The regular police not showing up very quickly is explainable if most of them were doing crowd control while they tried to manage the previous order to evacuate London—that was then superceded by the order to evacuate Waterloo Station (which probably a few hundred (thousand) people called their friends about and as a result every Tube station in London is filled with people running back and forth—plus, the crawl on the fake news feed an hour ago said "metal detectors to board, no baggage", which should lead to giant lines trailing up to the streets).  Thus, less of a police presence in random areas, instead having the soldiers around to keep an eye out for loose terrorists and to get pistol-whipped by rogue CIA administrators.

BUT... there should be a lot more people on the street, then.  While not having a lot of extras keeps costs down and simplifies shooting, it looks very odd that there isn't anyone else around on surface level while Jack is chasing Steve around and both are shooting at each other, and then suddenly there's a giant crowd as soon as Jack follows Adrian into the subway.  Since Margot's Missile Command spree got really going around quitting time, there should be millions of people around generally freaking out.  (My recollection of the Manhattan situation during the September 11th attacks is limited, but since the initial attacks happened in the morning, that at least prevented people who might have wanted to head over to the city during the course of the day from doing so.  In the case of London during this day of 24, it's got the full load of workers and tourists going at this hour.)

Edited by WhoAmIWorkingFor
I'm still in shock that the one potential real surprise this season might possibly have had was ruined by plastering Tzi Ma's name on the opening credits.

My understanding is that Screen Actors Guild rules require an actor to be credited at the beginning of the show if they have a certain amount of screen time.  For instance: in Babylon 5, a character presumed dead since Season 2 was surprisingly discovered and freed in an episode in Season 5, and the fans loudly made a similar complaint; J. Michael Straczynski (the show's creator/producer/writer) said that they had no choice.  (On the other hand, if someone makes a brief cameo at the end of an episode, that can be saved until the closing credits.)

(edited)

BUT... there should be a lot more people on the street, then.  While not having a lot of extras keeps costs down and simplifies shooting, it looks very odd that there isn't anyone else around on surface level while Jack is chasing Steve around and both are shooting at each other, and then suddenly there's a giant crowd as soon as Jack follows Adrian into the subway.

This has been bugging me too. A city with a population of over 8 million, and, evacuation orders notwithstanding, there should be more than the odd soldier or lorry driver on the streets. Not just in the Chasing Navarro scenes, but also the Chloe Fails to Achieve Escape Velocity scene had such a noticeable absence of anyone else in them that I was joining you in wondering about the show's budget for extras.

Another point that bothered me (I know, it's 24!) was that we saw Navarro grab the override device, throw it in a satchel, and from that moment, was hotly pursued by Jack Bauer. I repeat, by Jack Frickin' Bauer! So at what point during that chase did Navarro have any time or opportunity to "install a tracking device", let alone one that has so far gone unnoticed by Chloe or the Chinese? Credulity, consider yourself stretched.

Glad that we have seen the last of Cross.  He was a pretty useless villain.  We barely knew anything about him other than the fact that, like Mark Boudreau, he has an intense jealousy of Jack Bauer.

And that in the movie of his life, he'll be played by Benedict Cumberbatch.

My understanding is that Screen Actors Guild rules require an actor to be credited at the beginning of the show if they have a certain amount of screen time.

Which means, viewers of Game of Thrones (apologies for jumping to another show) need to stay vigilant for the appearance in the credits of Joseph Mawle's name. You know it's coming!

Edited by beedub
  • Love 1
My understanding is that Screen Actors Guild rules require an actor to be credited at the beginning of the show if they have a certain amount of screen time.  For instance: in Babylon 5, a character presumed dead since Season 2 was surprisingly discovered and freed in an episode in Season 5, and the fans loudly made a similar complaint; J. Michael Straczynski (the show's creator/producer/writer) said that they had no choice.  (On the other hand, if someone makes a brief cameo at the end of an episode, that can be saved until the closing credits.)

William Devane wasn't credited until the end of last week's episode, and IMO he was on screen for easily as long as Tzi Ma was this week. 

Yeah, London's totally empty streets bugged me too - except when Navarro needed a gun and suddenly there's an armed man there (with a machine gun no less!), which even for 24 was a bit of a stretch.

Mwell345 Surprised to see Cheng- that guy scares me and I'm just watching him on TV

What struck me was that he was a damn efficient torturer - we'd seen members of Open Cell (the woman who questioned whether Cross had brought Chloe into the loop and confirmed they were set up in their new location) and yet within half an hour (probably less) everyone was dead. Got to hand it to the Chinese, when they torture there way through a room, they don't mess around!

Blackwing  I screamed when Navarro was smugly demanding full immunity

As soon as he said that, I said "You are so in for a world of pain!" Did like Kate's threatening him with the gun, even if I was sure it was staged (admittedly, I'm not the one with a gun presses to my forehead, so it's understandable that he might not be so level headed).

Xantar Apparently it's possible to create an override device that can access the weapon system of every military, not just the US. This is what happens when everybody uses Windows.

And they criticise the USA for wanting to use proprietory systems...

I noticed with Cheng too t his week and in the Season 6 prequel webisodes he likes his victims to think they have the upper hand but reveal that he's been playing them all along.

William Devane wasn't credited until the end of last week's episode, and IMO he was on screen for easily as long as Tzi Ma was this week.

I don't know - maybe it's only for guest stars, or maybe you have to have the actor's permission.

A lot of times it has to do with what the agent wants. An actor friend once told me that a lot of agents actually spend more time negotiating over billing than salary.

Chloe's looking like a whipped, suffering dog ... it wouldn't seem unreasonable for her to die sometime soon -- perhaps due to some unforeseen twist, like eyeliner poisoning.

LOL - they could not have made Chloe look worse this season if they had tried.

I have wondered too, if she will be killed off this season.  I tend to think not, after the last episode.  If Cheng was going to kill her, he would have done it after he discovered the virus - he did not need her after that, and this is a guy who had no problem shooting a room full of people and Adrian pretty quickly and methodically. What's one more body, and she had already served her purpose. 

I am not sure the producers want to end on such a sad (and controversial) note.  Although this is 24, so who knows?

Part of me wonders if Cheng was trying to start a war on behalf of the Chinese gov't, allowing them to "save face" by not being the instigators.  Of course, since the existence of the override device is quickly becoming common knowledge, that's kind of a moot point.

Kate is on "Dammit, Chloe!" away from completing her transition to the Bauer Side.  I like it.

Cheng Zhi is awesome as usual.  Glad that we have seen the last of Cross.  He was a pretty useless villain.

Agreed on both counts, blackwing.  Cheng is 24's perfect villain.  LOVED seeing him again.  And for the show to have the guts to blow up the Chinese ship - that was kind of awesome (and horrifying).  Very effective.  In the back of my mind, I expected that plot to get foiled, so it was a surprise when everything happened so fast.  This compressed season format is a lot of fun.  Cross was a non-entity this season.  Half the time, I couldn't figure out who he was.  And he was so unattractive - not physically, but the way he treated Chloe.  Blech.

As for Chloe:  I have always needed Chloe to live, for visceral emotional reasons - mostly because Chloe is such a scrapper and because the bond between Jack and Chloe is heartbreaking and touching and badass all att once.  However, reading through Boundary's post, I love all the story reasons outlined there, as well. quote (edited for brevity, but great post all around):

But I'd like to say this to the writers: please don't kill her off, killing Chloe is unacceptable. ... The shock will be instant but the damage will be long lasting. We've seen Jack lose Terri, we've seen him lose Renee and season 8 was compelling because of Jack's revenge agenda; and seeing him sink into the abyss, only to be pulled back from the brink by Chloe. In S7 we saw Tony going through a similar arc, thereby justifying killing off Michelle.

Killing Chloe now would be just redundant, there's no upside in seeing this same arc repeated. Already this season we saw how Jack's actions have changed him somewhat - throwing Marg through the window instead of handing her over, not offering Navarro immunity even though he is trained to withstand torture. And he told Kate that the pain never goes away, just learn to live with it. See? That's adding layers to plot from 4 years ago. Killing Chloe off sweeps that away. Besides, who's going to be on comm when Jack's in hot pursuit?

In my opinion, Chloe the character has developed in a really interesting way.  She has big time, personal stakes this time.  She's gone from being a grouchy, brilliant analyst (sort of one dimensional) to a woman who has loved, lost, been outcast, loved again, been betrayed, and so on.  Chloe's shown a lot of emotions this season that she never got to show before.  I love it.  Keep Chloe!

Finally, Belcheck!  It made me so happy when the President got out of the car and told Secret Service to treat him with respect.  I don't know why.  I just love that guy.