Whimsy
  • Start Topic

image.png.644b3011502d45add7e47c11afaa218c.png

From CBS.com

Tommy Sheehan

Biography

Hometown: Bayville, New York
Current residence: Long Beach, New York

Hobbies: Surfing, sports (basketball, volleyball, football), and asking questions to my magic eight ball.

Pet peeves: I hate bullies who think they are better than everyone else and talk down to others. I also cannot stand grumpy and serious people. Lighten up, life is amazing, let me see that smile. LOL.

Three words to describe you: Outgoing, competitive, and goofy.

What accomplishment are you most proud of?
I am proud of all the children's lives I have changed teaching. Also, I have a really killer Disney coffee mug collection.

Who or what is your inspiration in life?
My parents. My dad has always instilled the Sheehan motto in my head "Get it done." There are no excuses, just get the job done, whatever it is. He is also the life of the party and lives each day like it is his last. My mom inspires me to care for others. She is the most caring individual I know and I hope to one day have half the heart she does.

What's one thing we wouldn't know from seeing a photo of you?
I have the biggest heart. I love people and would do anything to help them, especially kids.

Which Survivor contestant are you most like?
I would say if you combined David Wright's strategy, Davie's social game, and a pinch of Amanda Kimmel's likeability. These three players were fans of the game, played hard, and did everything they could do with the hands they were dealt.

What's your primary motivation for being on Survivor?
I am on the show to do something most people dream about. I am there to win the game and get the million dollars. Those are my only motivations. If I happen to make people smile and help them escape whatever hardships are going on in their lives for an hour a week, that is a huge plus too.

Why do you think you'll "survive" Survivor?
I am physical and can win challenges, but that won't win Survivor. What wins Survivor is the time spent opening up and connecting to people. When you have real connections with people they will keep you around longer. Also, I am there to win the game. I see myself finding idols, making moves and leading blindsides.

Something about this guy rubs me the wrong way. I think it's the way he seemingly shut down talk of getting Molly out (even though he ultimately went along with that vote). That it was a few women bringing it up, and him being all "no, no, no, it's too soon."

He strikes me as a guy they want me to like, but he's not bringing enough to the table for me to like him. So, I don't like him. And the fourth grade teacher stuff leaves me cold. Ooh, fourth grade teacher playing Survivor -- no different than a social worker, a minister, anyone else with a "meek" profession. Thus far, he hasn't shown any Russell Hantz-type tendencies, which is the only way the fourth grade teacher contrast works. Otherwise it's ... yeah, he's a fourth grade teacher playing Survivor by being nice, probably like he is in real life. Meh.

• Love 5

Janet said that Tommy did stick up for her at Tribal Council but it wasn't shown. She said to stop the hate. As much, as we saw on tv I'm sure there's even more (good & bad) we didn't see. I don't anyone besides the people on the island will ever know the true story. Tommy seems like a nice guy and I think he just got engaged. He was my Top 3 winner pick and I still be okay with it.

I haven't forgotten Tommy's "Kellee's gotta go 'cause she's smart and smart women so scary," when that's generally never said about smart men, so Tommy can stuff his sorries in a sack, along with his casual sexism.

Edited by Eolivet
  • Love 6

Tommy specifically mentioned Kellee going to Harvard, her downplaying going to Harvard, her being extremely smart, her ability to bond with her target, Missy, right before as she was planning to vote her out, as reasons he was concerned about Kellee. She also wanted to move one of her "numbers," aka Dean, ahead of the other Lairo, who Tommy and Lauren were closer with, of the chopping block.

That seems pretty fair to me in the context of Survivor.

The fact that Tommy is getting painted with the same brush as Dan in a situation that Tommy's only tangentially involved with, is a pretty good example of why a large chunk of men aren't going to always "believe women,"  and have their guard up in situations like this. And that guard in turn will protect a lot of men who don't deserve to be protected. 

• Love 4
56 minutes ago, Brookside said:

"Unamnous" isn't a word.  I'm glad you weren't my child's teacher.

28 minutes ago, Nashville said:

What was this in reference to?

He said it in a random talking head.  I don't remember the context, sorry.

16 hours ago, Brookside said:

"Unamnous" isn't a word.  I'm glad you weren't my child's teacher.

Because Teachers are supposed to be perfect? I used to teach Statistics. I let my students know that I have dyslexia and dysnumeria so that there were going to be times that the numbers I write were going to be backwards or in the wrong order or just look weird. It was 100% acceptable to let me know that it had happened and I would correct it.

Mispronouncing a word or making some type of mistake is human. It happens to everyone. It seems to be a bit silly to think that a teacher is always going to be correct.

And I have no problem with anyone who is teaching any grade. I don't think for a second that a Man teaching 4th Grade says something about their ability to teach or who they are as a person. Teachers are not paid nearly what they are worth. They are the front line for preparing our kids for their futures. They have too many kids in their classroom and are being asked more and more to teach social skills as well as in class material. The number of work sheets that my 2nd grader brings home regarding bullying, being nice to other people, helping people, when to tell on someone or not, and how to be a friend to someone who has no friends is mind boggling. I see more of those worksheets then I see his math or geography work sheets.

His game play has not been bad. He is in a good place in the game. He is not exactly the most exciting player to watch but he has set himself up pretty well in the game. He seems to have avoided touching people inappropriately, not used racist or homophobic language, and treats most the people out there decently. He might be boring, but he is doing fine in the game.

And I would be fine with him teaching my son in a few years.

• Love 5

I can fault Tommy for a lot of things but not for being a 4th grade teacher.  Some of my favourite elementary school teachers were men.  

A friends husband was a high school gym teacher and hated it.  When the 2nd baby was born less than 24 months after the first, since she had a high paying job she enjoyed, he became a stay-at-home dad for three year.  Now's he's a kindergarten teacher and loving it.

• Love 1
On 12/10/2019 at 4:56 AM, ProfCrash said:

Mispronouncing a word or making some type of mistake is human. It happens to everyone. It seems to be a bit silly to think that a teacher is always going to be correct.

Teachers are not paid nearly what they are worth. They are the front line for preparing our kids for their futures. They have too many kids in their classroom and are being asked more and more to teach social skills as well as in class material. 

I totally agree with you that we all make silly mistakes, but to say "They both view so differently they're never going to be able to coincide" isn't a mistake.

• Love 1
39 minutes ago, Brookside said:

I totally agree with you that we all make silly mistakes, but to say "They both view so differently they're never going to be able to coincide" isn't a mistake.

No but it is someone with massive amounts of food and sleep deprivation. It is also the type of conversation he is not going to have in his classroom.

This is the reason why I will never appear on a show like this. I have not noticed his mispronunciations or comments. Hell, I have barely noticed him to be honest with you. I notice Lauren and her conversations with Tommy but that is about it.

• Love 3
16 minutes ago, peachmangosteen said:

Right! Like for real I sometimes forget he's even there. I feel like there have been stretches of eps that he didn't even appear in. He is just not memorable to me at all.

Yeah, Tommy's a big zero to me. If he wins, he'll be less memorable to me than that guy who won after playing only six days or whatever last season.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, fishcakes said:

Yeah, Tommy's a big zero to me. If he wins, he'll be less memorable to me than that guy who won after playing only six days or whatever last season.

At least he's remembered for that.  What will Tommy be remembered for? 

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
20 hours ago, LadyChatts said:

At least he's remembered for that.  What will Tommy be remembered for? 

"He was on that season with Feely Dan."

What was it he said last night? "If Dean hadn't warned me, I would've went home." I hope he's not an English teacher.

• LOL 5
  • Love 1

Listing to Rob's deep dive with Tommy.  Yet again Survivor doesn't show us a key relationship.  Tommy talks about how he and Dean had a tight relationship from early in the game and that's why Dean told him that Noura, Elaine, Janet and Karishma were trying to vote him out after the loved one's visit.  In fact, Tommy specifically didn't take Dean on the reward in order to leave him at camp to be his ears and eyes (and it would have been vice versa).

• Love 1