Type keyword(s) to search

S14.E16: Quarter Finals 3

• Start Topic

They couldn't have split up the really good acts this week and placed them last week?!  Grr.

Guitar dude won the night, and has got to be in the Finals.

Both magicians clearly won the right to move on.  I was underwhelmed by Dom's grid trick.  Then, he made Tape Face appear!  What an AGT moment.  Chien's Rubik's manipulations were phenomenal.  But, his verbal presentation left soooooo much to be desired. 

Opera girl was darn good.

It's always a shame when the dog is ever so much better than its owner at showmanship.  Super klunky execution.  The heel trick was fantastic.  

Hoop guy, the rap harmonizers, the solo male singer and the young Benicio were all so eminently forgettable.  The choir was fine.  They would easily have got through last week.  Not so sure this week.  

Jackie was, again, not so Fab.  I am trying to understand 1) The words she was saying.  Turrible enunciation. 2)  I'm trying to understand with offense so easily taken these days that her brand of humor is appropriate for this show and audience.

Hey, Mr, Tambourine Man, please don't play for me.  You're a jingle jangle tangle and so booooooorrrrr-ing. 

Edited by Lonesome Rhodes
  • Love 8
4 minutes ago, Lonesome Rhodes said:

Hey, Mr, Tambourine Man, please don't play for me.  You're a jingle jangle tangle and so booooooorrrrr-ing. 

This is so good, I had to quote it!!!! Why was that man even on the show? I can't understand how he went through.

****and I will always remember this line when I hear this song!

Edited by suebee12
  • LOL 1
  • Love 5
  • Terry's outfit tonight is... shiny...
  • Detroit Youth Choir: Cue inspirational narration. Cue okay performance. Cue over-the-top tongue bath from judges.
  • A Boy and his Dog: Dog is cute. Seen better dog acts. I kinda liked the "small things" theme. The dog is "unbelievable"? Really, Simon? I had to mute the rest of the judges.
  • Dom Chambers: "Priority male," lol. Tape Face! (I started from Piff at the top left.) That one was fun.
  • Benicio Bryant: I found the head shaking quite distracting. Why is an original song such a "big risk" again all of a sudden? Do we like originals or not; make up your minds. Ugh, Simon and his "backing track is too loud" whine. Maybe you should have a chat with the people who do the sound for your show, then. Cuz I doubt the 14 year old kid set up the whole thing himself.
  • Gonzo: No. Okay, well, the mini Gonzos were cute. Channeling Simon: "Your backing track was drowning out your tambourine. Strip it down." (No, not like that.)
  • Marcin: I dunno...I got bored. Somehow I don't think a whole new generation is going to get behind his music. (Though maybe Dancing With the Stars should get him and have Julianne do a dance...could be interesting...except it's on a different network.)
  • Eric Chen: I never could do a Rubik's Cube...now I want chocolate. I like that he did something other than cards or coins.
  • Berywam: Eh.
  • Is it me or is Gabrielle basically giving the same comments to everyone?
  • Matthew Richardson: So.. shiny.... Julianne looking at him like she does is kinda creepy.
  • Mackenzie: I forgot who he was for a second...wasn't crazy about the song choice...(I do like the song itself, though).
  • Jacki Fabulous: Why is her intro package a comedy skit? It's like having what's her name's package just be her singing a song before she comes out to sing a song. Howie needs to turn down his laugh track.
  • Emanne Beasha: Sorry, not feeling the opera tonight... Okay, she's good, but I doubt she's created "millions" of new opera fans.
  • Why do I torture myself with this show, again?
  • Love 5

Starting a giant post from nothing is a giant task - almost as daunting as staring down an entire AGT episode without any fast forwarding or imported liqueurs , which feels as though I am reliving my school days of being bullied. Not sure if there's any other notes about the show to state aside from the acts, as Terry still hasn't grown breasts or displayed a feminine gait when walking across the stage, so I pretty much forget he's there.

Detroit Youth Choir - Terry gets choked up during announcing them either because they punched him off camera for spoiling their inevitable elimination tomorrow or because he is sentimental about the hometown they both share, yet he shall never return to because it's a dump. Singing a song called "The Champion" certainly doesn't help win me over, as it only serves as a reminder that the yearly AGT migraine has become a cluster headache with America's Got Talent The Champions in a few months. I'm actually glad there is more to watch and post about, it's just entertaining to complain. If you rewatch the clip, you'll see the audience shares my sentiments, as they all started waving goodbye in unison.

Lukas & Falco - Apparently this was Mario Kart themed (on purpose); I thought whichever judge said it was just kidding, but that theme won't be very fitting until tomorrow when they angrily speed away from the venue after getting eliminated, which I suppose isn't really possible in LA, where you have to bring breakfast and a bagged lunch for the time it takes to drive down the street to the mailbox. I don't get the hype about this act, since all of the dog acts before have really desensitized me to the idea that dogs can do tricks, so I am more focused on the annoying music that doesn't fit at all.

Dom Chambers - I thought this act was pretty underwhelming, since it was one of those ones where you knew he was just following steps that would lead everyone to the same result. It's funny how everyone just assumed Tape Face's attire was part of his act, when it's more likely he's trying to ease everyone into giving up their right to free speech. Simon remembered what he was told 10 minutes ago backstage not to stand up, which was cool - that or he got to the exact minute in old age where his spine shrinks 3 feet and he was actually standing. How long until standing up is in the Olympics?

Benicio Bryant - On the the (this typo looks like stuttering comedian Drew Lynch wrote it) landscape of the competition, it's not shocking that his initials are "B.B." as this performance was "shots fired". I thought the song was great, though I can only imagine the pressure he is under, knowing that his Father has already handed in his letter of resignation in the plans of living off of his son's success. Gabrielle says he is a rock star and he has "it" - she somehow is qualified on what "it" is, unless she's referring to the antidote for nodding off.

Gonzo - Since the Japanese women in the opening video were the only decently attractive women to be featured on this episode, you can keep your white women, as I now have a terminal case of yellow fever (although seeing Jackie Fabulous later on turned me gay for a brief period). This "act" is like if 99 year old arthritic and crippled Neil Peart came out of retirement just to embarrass himself. It was very bad, I'm sure every viewer wished Godzilla interrupted and destroyed all of his props.

Marcin Patrzalek - I've played for a long time, so perhaps my opinion is worth a Forte (shit); being technical doesn't mean that much if the song isn't good and he's basically just playing fast with no melody, which might be good enough for being on this show, since everyone is more impressed with the speed than with the musicality, but I don't find it memorable at all. Perhaps he was intending on slowly strumming chords this whole time until the world's biggest case of stage fright took over and he couldn't stop violently shaking.

Eric Chien - I'm sure him pulling out a giant bowl of M&M's confused many Americans who were positive it wasn't breakfast time. I thought it was a decent performance, especially compared to Dom, who had to have much more theatrics to hide the worse trick. When Julianne gasped, I thought she could see that I had taken my shirt off, which I didn't realize wasn't the case until I had been posing for 5 minutes. Her last name is appropriate, since if I were in her vicinity, I make a violent inhale of her scent as if I were a tweaking dropout "Hough"ing an aerosol can of paint.

Berywam - Unrelated to anything other than my mental impairment making me angry at nothing, but I've been babbling their name to myself for weeks making myself progressively more mad; it's such an ugly word that appears to mean nothing. I thought it was a weird performance and then got annoyed that they started doing Old Town Road, because I hate that song, even though everyone is convinced it's such a gem. Don't really have anything to say.

Matthew Richardson - Whichever Dolby Theater employee left the door unlocked needs to be fired immediately. This act STINKS, probably to everyone who can't somehow interpret a dramatic story being told by him repeating the same "flip a coin, oh look it's rolling around, fall down already" crap. The ring is in the shape of what I'd rate this out of 10.

Mackenzie - He's going with a mononym either because he's this full of himself or he's done some bad things that he doesn't want you to look up on Google, though I would consider this performance to be auditory assault. It looked as though he was performing on a moon rock, but we intellectuals all know that cannot be, especially since space is a hologram. If we were judging things on rapid eye movement, he would be named Mackenzzzzzzzz.

Jackie Fabulous - She's single, despite her mass making it legal to drive in the HOV lanes; the intro video was enough warning for you to change the channel or scream until help arrived, because the act was a wet fart. The female comediennes all have similar routines, mainly saying "I met this guyyyyyy" with an annoying nasal tone dragging out the last sound. Howie referring to himself as a comedian means any attempt at being funny is a success apparently, despite applauding every comedian I hate; not like I am a God of guffaws, but he never tells anybody "no". 

Emanne Beasha - If only this were a horror movie and we could get a clip of Forte and Daniel Emmet screaming "This doesn't end well, go back!", as the paltry market for opera music gets smaller every year, seeing as how the only fans of it are 100 years old who have probably already gone blind and deaf. I spent the whole performance literally staring at the floor, to which I was surprised that a washed up AGT alum wasn't sweeping it.

This episode was really boring, as I didn't even come up with an alcoholism based remark, though seeing how boring the show was without suds has convinced me to return to the foam next week with a vengeance and my addiction will snowball until I'm spending Christmas alone dry heaving into a magician's top hat and punching myself in the head wondering how it got this bad, to which I will be ROFL and calm down by opening a 24 pack that I drunkenly wrapped with my overdue bill statements as a gift for 5 minutes of sobriety 🤣. This isn't going anywhere, so I just hope tomorrow's post will be better.

Edited by InternetToughGuy
  • LOL 5
  • Love 3

Detroit Youth Choir - A side thought: are they not planning on longevity with this group if they chose such a name? AGT has no qualms with incredibly generic names, so I wouldn't be surprised if they eventually went by "Detroit Choir", unless the name is a purposefully sobering reminder how our youth don't get to grow up due to the streets!! (I need a moment...)
For actually serious commentary, I liked them a lot better than Ndvolu.
They have more energy and the performances feel a lot "bigger", not just because there are more members. There are so many members of this choir, you have to wonder if there aren't at least a few kids in there who can't sing a note and are just lip syncing their way to their part of the million dollars, which I wouldn't blame them for doing.
With the lyrics "I'll be the last one standing // I'm a champion" being repeated over and over, Simon has to be pissed that the winter special results were just spoiled.

Lukas & Falco - I was screeching "who's a good boy?" at the TV towards Lukas for training the dog so well, the performance was a marked improvement from before. On a side note, I don't get the fascination people can have with other dogs (in a non-performance context) that aren't their own. I imagine the feeling of feigned enthusiasm is similar to being an aunt/uncle having to channel improv theater when their niece/nephew does well on a spelling test, you just don't really care.

Dom Chambers - While he's a good magician, I get the sense that he's always trying to be funny and just isn't because his little quips on stage never get a response. Maybe that's why all of his tricks involve pouring alcohol, poor guy is miserable. The trick he did was nice, but due to not caring enough to look into it, I can only assume it's one of those puzzles where the end result will be the same no matter what you do and all he did was put a jazzy coat of paint on it. Some of the end reveals magicians do seem totally pointless, like this one. "Wait, that's not all. I predicted this was going to happen!" was said more than once, even though it's like everybody sees the end result, jumps up and down in glee, and then doesn't need the guy to dramatically announce that was the intention when we all understand that. "Dom Chambers" always makes me think his name is a euphemism for Christian Grey's bedroom (50 Shades), not at all helped when ending the act by revealing a frantic man bound with tape over his mouth and running mascara.

Benicio Bryant - Due to the assembly line-esque turnout of county fair headliners such as Laine Hardy, I give pause (not you, Falco) to say that ___ singer from these shows can ever become famous in this current music climate, although Alejandro Aranda has already done quite well since Idol. I would say Benicio has a decent shot at somewhat-mass appeal. He's young, talented, attractive, etc.. and has done a few original songs that haven't totally sucked despite being 14 years old. Unless Eric Chien breaks into song during a magic trick, Benicio has the best chance of breaking out after the show IMO. And I'm not referring to a teenage acne flare-up, even though nobody would have thought so and thus this unfunny disclaimer is not necessary.

Gonzo - How has such a terrible act "Gonzo" far this season? Simon must be mystified as to why an act whose fate he has control over keeps reappearing on the show, it's a real head-scratcher. Is it safe to say that if Gonzo needs a whole stage production and backup copycat versions of himself to perform, this isn't a talent? The Japanese language is so complicated, it honestly would've been more impressive just to watch him pen a resignation letter from the show in Kanji.

Marcin Patrzalek - Watching the same thing done every time is getting me fret-bored and I can barely play a guitar. He's talented, but I don't think it necessarily translates into an engaging skill to watch. When the entire number is a high point with no rhythm section, doing what he calls a solo might put this guy into cardiac arrest. Either way, while it's obvious to see how much skill is required to do what he does, visually, it just comes across as watching him mess around with a guitar.

Eric Chien - His skill of turning things into chocolate is a unique workaround for the higher prices of items due to the US/China tariff situation, I'll give him that. There's not much else to say in terms of a serious review, I think he's probably the most entertaining act on the show unless there's a female comedian I'm forgetting. (joking, of course)

Berywam - With music production becoming extremely digitally-based in recent years, this is like a total reversal of technological advancement. I can imagine a music mogul pitching in a meeting "we can either hire a teenager to produce a beat on Pro Tools, or we can spend 10x the money to fly out a group of four guys to replicate the same noise". I thought it was just alright. While "Old Town Road" was probably wise of them to do, as opposed to making a bunch of harmonized belching noises without anything to tie them together, the rendition sounded like it lacked quite a bit of volume and thus had the enthusiasm Lil Nas X must have after performing it live for the 1000th time.

Matthew Richardson - Last week, the worst performance of the night was the "Ring of Fire" duo and now we're treated to a boring "ring of water". This wasn't the worst act of the entire show, but damn did it look bad on TV. Having not been subjected to exercise since a George Bush America, I can only speculate that his routine being done in water was infinitely harder than usual, but he came across as a human tiddlywink spinning in place for 90% of the time.

Mackenzie - Is he pandering to the outer space demographic with that background because he assumes his home country won't want to vote for him? They probably won't after that sterile performance, which is appropriate because I want to wash my hands of having seen it. Like so many others lately, it wasn't horrible, but felt rather middle of the road and pointless. For wanting to branch off into a successful music career, using a stage name like "Mackenzie" is a nightmare for showing up in online search results and only ties him closer to AGT, guaranteeing Caleb "Keg-lug" Hutchinson levels of fame (performing at bars) no matter how good of a singer he is.

Jackie Fabulous - While many people would disagree with her name, on a show with Gonzo, "fabulous" might as well be applicable to everyone with how low the bar has been set. The only thing I liked was how she was able to string together a set that flowed well, unlike every other comedian this season. Unfortunately, the material itself was garbage. It seems like every comedian on AGT needs to be narrowly defined by a single trait, otherwise it's assumed the audience will be lost idiots who won't be able to follow along. Ryan Niemiller has the arm deformity (a bold move to do that to himself just for the show, much respect), which is at least memorable enough to keep commenting on, but Jackie talks about nothing but her dating life, which is not the slightest bit interesting to hear. Some of her jokes are lazy and don't have a setup or punchline at all, just expecting the audience to agree with what she's saying and fill in the line for her. (ex. "he wanted to go hiking, I'm like nah, hiking's white" without any explanation) With all of her dating stories, picturing the amount of men willing to date Jackie in the first place makes her material border on surrealistic.

Emanne Beasha - While listening to opera is probably the most beautiful way to hear what sounds like a retired boxer with head trauma trying to piece together a sentence in English, my culturally inept ears detect the same song being sung every time. Also, the boredom vastly outweighs the need to pay attention to how much vocal training is required to sing operatically, even though it's obvious. It's hard to tell if opera is supposed to be a sedative kind of theater or that's just the AmbienGT effect of the show being on for two hours, but it made the night end on a low note despite the entire song sounding like falsetto. Goodnight, all.

Edited by Neet
  • LOL 2
  • Love 5

Detroit Youth Choir + Terry Crews = Straight to Gabby first for judge's comment.  The pattern continues.

Speaking of Terry Crews, I hated it when he did that pectoral-moving thing underneath his shiny blush-pink colored shirt.  Men's body parts should not be moving underneath their clothing.

I was mad at Howie for dissing Lukas & Falco so bad.  He was really mean.

• Love 5
13 minutes ago, CrystalBlue said:

Speaking of Terry Crews, I hated it when he did that pectoral-moving thing underneath his shiny blush-pink colored shirt.  Men's body parts should not be moving underneath their clothing.

I agree on Terry's pec popping - any mild suggestion that I'm not already in perfect shape despite sweating from watching TV makes me demand an apology from the network. If any man doesn't want his parts moving around, merely envisioning Jackie Fabulous first thing in the morning is enough to make them immobile, possibly for good.

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
7 hours ago, Neet said:

On a side note, I don't get the fascination people can have with other dogs (in a non-performance context) that aren't their own.

I just like dogs (well, little ones, at least; my aunt and uncle had a big hound dog who, when up on his hind legs, was as tall as me when I was 12 and he nearly knocked me over saying hello one day when we visited. Very friendly, but big dogs make me a tad nervous, unless they're very calm. I grew up with miniature Schnauzers and my last dog was a Chihuahua, so...). They’re cute and fuzzy and petting them lowers my stress level. If I encounter them while out and about and their people offer to let me pet them, I'll gladly do so. But I live alone and I'm not home all day so I don’t have one of my own. As far as watching them do tricks on TV...eh.

7 hours ago, Neet said:

The trick he did was nice, but due to not caring enough to look into it, I can only assume it's one of those puzzles where the end result will be the same no matter what you do and all he did was put a jazzy coat of paint on it. 

I didn't care to figure it out, either, but I also assumed from the start that there was some mathematical arrangement of the pictures that would cause everyone to end up in the same place no matter where they started. I wasn't expecting Tape Face to show up, so that was fun. Kinda wish he had brought back Piff, instead.

7 hours ago, Neet said:

fret-bored

Ha!

7 hours ago, Neet said:

Emanne Beasha - While listening to opera is probably the most beautiful way to hear what sounds like a retired boxer with head trauma trying to piece together a sentence in English, my culturally inept ears detect the same song being sung every time. Also, the boredom vastly outweighs the need to pay attention to how much vocal training is required to sing operatically, even though it's obvious. It's hard to tell if opera is supposed to be a sedative kind of theater or that's just the AmbienGT effect of the show being on for two hours, but it made the night end on a low note despite the entire song sounding like falsetto. Goodnight, all.

I’ve only been to the opera once, on a college trip 20+ years ago, and while there are some songs that I like on their own, I found it a lot more enjoyable when I was there and following a story (even though I had to read the synopsis to know what was going on, since, y’now, I don’t speak Italian). Stand-alone songs on a talent show don’t do much for me. Especially from a little kid (even though she’s a hell of lot better singer than I'll ever be).

Edited by ams1001
  • Love 2
10 hours ago, CrystalBlue said:

Detroit Youth Choir + Terry Crews = Straight to Gabby first for judge's comment.  The pattern continues.

I was watching for this last night thanks to poster comments here, so I noticed this AND that Gabby was first after Jackie Fabulous. WTHeck show. Like if the Judge Of Color doesn't like the Act Of Color, then the White Judges shouldn't either? The Black Singer bored me so much, I didn't notice if Gabby went first after him, I was channel flipping.

Simon buzzing the acts HE put through never ceases to annoy me.

I felt sorry for the dog act, the dog wasn't feeling it last night, he was either tired or bored or something. He didn't even want his reward (the tuggy toy) when before he was so enthusiastic and energetic and grabbed his tuggie to play with. No Simon, the dog did NOT shine. However, his backward foot-matching with his owner was something I hadn't seen before. And yes, people, I work with dogs professionally.

Choir, Guitar Guy, Black Guy Singer, Beat Box Guys ... I got bored and looked away to do something else. Translation: Flipped to another channel.

Gonzo ... I think he hurt himself by not stripping down to his undies and tights. Simon, it's your fault he was there so take your X and shove it.

I liked Benecio and was WAY impressed with his singing of the National Anthem at the Mariners' game. He was the only singer I stopped and listened to. And I agree with the poster who said if the background track was "overpowering" him, Simon, you jackass, talk to your stage crew, NOT the kid who has absolutely no say in how his act is produced. If you hated it, hate yourself Simon, it's your fault.

I was glad to see Hoop Guy back, although disappointed with so much water it washed all his sparkly glitter off. I wish he had been wearing long tights instead of the little trunks, too, but that's just me. I wondered if the show borrowed DWTS's water trough and sprinkler for the act. Or does every network have its own?

Loved Dom's act. I pointed to TapeFace so his act was a win-win for me. But it would have worked regardless of who was pointed  to as I was mentally doing an imaginary finger point at the same time. But who cares. I liked him.

Jackie Fabulous made me laugh. And I still like her hair. I laughed that she said "Oh, HELL no" when Terry asked if she would go jogging on the beach with her. I would have been tempted to say I'd make an exception for you, Terry. Because I would.

I happened to be online when the show was over so decided to vote. Odd that one could vote 10 times for as many acts as one wanted. What's up with that? I voted for Dom, Chien (although he's so good I figured he didn't need my votes), Benecio, Jackie and Hoop Guy. I want Hoop Guy to go through just to say "Bite me" to Simon.

ETA: HATED Opera Girl, which is why she's not mentioned above. She's been mind blocked.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 6

Please, for the love of music, NO MORE BABY OPERA SINGERS.

Now, I actually LIKE opera (and I am NOT 100, thank you very much), but it should NEVER be sung by a 10 yo child. Mainly because doing so is the fastest way to destroy a voice that might be actually fit for the opera world. IN THE FUTURE. Children's voices, bodies, vocal mechanism, etc. are not developed enough to take that kind of punishment (and it is very rough on singers who don't have excellent training). She'll have nodes on her chords by 18 at this rate. Shame. 

Also, where is the market? A 20-something, well-trained, singer could possibly jump into playing opera roles (or even musical roles as in PHANTOM) but what can a 10 yo do? Sing inappropriate arias that have no connection to their youth, experience, etc., that's what. 

Sorry, but I judge child singing acts by closing my eyes and picturing them as an adult. Do I still think they are great? Usually, no. Which means it is more about the "OMG, isn't it amazing that this young kid is singing this," rather than their actual vocal production, interpretation, and talent.

• Love 12
4 minutes ago, LucidDreamer said:

Please, for the love of music, NO MORE BABY OPERA SINGERS.

Thank you. And for all the reasons you mentioned.

The only bright spot is this kid will have to go out and get some office job somewhere when her voice gives out when she's 15. And yeah, lightning will strike me for writing that. I'm ready.

• LOL 3
  • Love 3
18 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Thank you. And for all the reasons you mentioned.

The only bright spot is this kid will have to go out and get some office job somewhere when her voice gives out when she's 15. And yeah, lightning will strike me for writing that. I'm ready.

I don't think lightening will strike you for stating a simple truth.  It's not like you wished it upon her.

Agree with LucidDreamer on child opera singers.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

The two magicians.....Dom Chambers and Eric Chein made this show for me ..... Dom's trick worked......I started with Paul Zerdin,  and through his instructions.....wound up on Tape Face.  And how does he interact with all the Dom's on the monitors and pass things through them like it's just "here take these" like it's nothing.    He keeps stepping it up.  The thing is.....having read an early review of the show before watching the videos......I already knew Tape Face would appear.....and it still worked.

Eric really stepped it up as well......he turns what CHOCOLATE????......into Rubik's cubes and SOLVES THEM????  He did WHAAAATT?????   See Simon is just trying to divide the vote toward Dom to put only one magician through.....but they both have to move on.

Back in the early nineties you had all these harmonizing groups like Boyz II Men and artists like PM Dawn on radio a lot and it seems that's where a sound like Berywam would fit in.....but that was then......

And does anyone remember James Ingram?  He was that early 80's singer whose voice you always seemed to hear but you never knew exactly who he was......even though he appeared on Solid Gold every week....... well MacKenzie reminds me a whole lot of that.   His voice is phenomenal no doubt.....but I didn't like the song again.   He can win on Idol......please audition.   Lionel will love you.  Katy will fall for you.

Something just bothered me about Emanne.  It really did look as though she was mimicking the voice we were hearing.....assuming it was hers.....with the facial expressions which just seemed a little over.....and the arms thing......but this show thinks we want more opera so I expect her to move on.

It was the best performance yet for Jackie Fabulous.  She really made me laugh this time.   Let's add her to the cast of "Trailor Nasty" with Vickie and Cara......with a "K".  It's a sure fire comedy hit.......somewhere.

Marcin is a super duper star.   What else could I say?

I'm not sure....but shouldn't there be an Olympic competition for what Matthew Richardson does?  That would make the Olympics coverage even more girly than it already is.

In my opinion.....you could take acts from this episode that don't make it......and replace acts that already have.   Why should we see Ansley again and probably not MacKenzie?  Maybe they should add a "America replacement vote" to do just that.

• Love 7
15 minutes ago, Sounder said:

I'm not sure....but shouldn't there be an Olympic competition for what Matthew Richardson does?  That would make the Olympics coverage even more girly than it already is.

This made me laugh, so thank you.

I was baffled by Simon saying to Hoop Guy, "Is THAT a million-dollar act?" when he's never asked that of any singer, ever. Although I guess once he gets them to sign a contract, all singers ARE a million-dollar act. For Simon. And how many times have we seen Gonzo, yet he's obviously "a million-dollar-act" since Simon keeps him on the show.

15 minutes ago, Sounder said:

It was the best performance yet for Jackie Fabulous.  She really made me laugh this time.   Let's add her to the cast of "Trailor Nasty" with Vickie and Cara......with a "K".  It's a sure fire comedy hit.......somewhere.

I agree about Jackie's performance, but let's not ruin it by putting her in the same category as Trailer Nasty and Cara/K. Please!

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 3

Confession:  Although I mainly hate watch now, and in the past dissed Jackie Fabulous (although I do love her colored braids), even she seemed to somehow step it up and when Opera Girl came on, I actually missed Jackie and wished she could do another set to end the show (without Opera Girl).

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
20 minutes ago, Sounder said:

The two magicians.....Dom Chambers and Eric Chein made this show for me ..... Dom's trick worked......I started with Paul Zerdin,  and through his instructions.....wound up on Tape Face.  And how does he interact with all the Dom's on the monitors and pass things through them like it's just "here take these" like it's nothing.    He keeps stepping it up.  The thing is.....having read an early review of the show before watching the videos......I already knew Tape Face would appear.....and it still worked.

Eric really stepped it up as well......he turns what CHOCOLATE????......into Rubik's cubes and SOLVES THEM????  He did WHAAAATT?????   See Simon is just trying to divide the vote toward Dom to put only one magician through.....but they both have to move on.

Back in the early nineties you had all these harmonizing groups like Boyz II Men and artists like PM Dawn on radio a lot and it seems that's where a sound like Berywam would fit in.....but that was then......

And does anyone remember James Ingram?  He was that early 80's singer whose voice you always seemed to hear but you never knew exactly who he was......even though he appeared on Solid Gold every week....... well MacKenzie reminds me a whole lot of that.   His voice is phenomenal no doubt.....but I didn't like the song again.   He can win on Idol......please audition.   Lionel will love you.  Katy will fall for you.

Something just bothered me about Emanne.  It really did look as though she was mimicking the voice we were hearing.....assuming it was hers.....with the facial expressions which just seemed a little over.....and the arms thing......but this show thinks we want more opera so I expect her to move on.

Marcin is a super duper star.   What else could I say?

In my opinion.....you could take acts from this episode that don't make it......and replace acts that already have.   Why should we see Ansley again and probably not MacKenzie?  Maybe they should add a "America replacement vote" to do just that.

Agree on both magicians.  Both delivered and stepped it up.  Alas, I don't think TPTB would have a magician win the whole AGT enchilada twice in a row.

We should not have to see Ansley again.  McKenzzzzz with a better song (or better interpretation of a David Bowie song) would be better.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Babalooie said:

I think I have it figured out.  Gonzo has appeared on Japan's Got Talent and Britain's Got Talent.

Like Susan Boyle, he's probably under contractual obligation to appear any time they need time wasters.  It CAN'T be due to his fabulous talent.

https://agt.fandom.com/wiki/Gonzo

Being on that many shows, it seems more likely whichever country has the shame in being branded "home of Gonzo", as if to say "this is the kind of talent we can produce" would be the embarrassment of the free world, hence he keeps getting deported. Perhaps Susan keeps traveling in the hopes that she'll look 8 hours younger in the U.S. than in Britain, though every reacquainting with American audiences results in a "World's Oldest Woman" Guinness certificate being handed out prematurely.

Edited by InternetToughGuy
I originally phrased the Gonzo joke like this, but then changed it to specify his act would be why no country would want him, but figured it'd be funnier this way and the intended meaning would come across anyways, lest someone bitch at me *gasp* DAMN
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

This made me laugh, so thank you.

I was baffled by Simon saying to Hoop Guy, "Is THAT a million-dollar act?" when he's never asked that of any singer, ever. Although I guess once he gets them to sign a contract, all singers ARE a million-dollar act. For Simon. And how many times have we seen Gonzo, yet he's obviously "a million-dollar-act" since Simon keeps him on the show.

I agree about Jackie's performance, but let's not ruin it by putting her in the same category as Trailer Nasty and Cara/K. Please!

I'm sure singers are never asked if they're worth a million dollars because the question never arises in anyone's minds to begin with. Not like any of these acts are literally million dollar acts, since even the winner will only get like $600,000 and paid out over like 20 years, in which they should make sure a severely overweight contestant wins and give them their first payment in foil wrapped chocolate coins to ensure they only have to give out a fraction of the prize.

Did Kara get through? It's funny how she is so fat, even when referring to a non-physical passageway, I am willing to bet she got stuck.

• Love 1

I think I'm the only one that wasn't impressed with Dom. Basically no matter what the starting point of the "trick", it was arranged for the exact same outcome to be Tape Face. I do agree that most children would love his shows... 

Why are there choirs on the show? Unless they are UNBELIEVABLE, especially youth choirs should stick to National competitions for vocals/school choirs. I know they have them, because I used to compete in quartet choirs and school choirs around my State back in grade-school through middle- school. 

Since this show is usually "let's crown a singer". (No matter how awesome Terry and Darcy Lynn is with their ventriloquism... they wouldn't have won without the combination SINGING ability). I was positive Shin Lim wouldn't win last year since he didn't sing... but maybe his piano playing in the finale got him the win. (I kid... he was amazing at card tricks <3). Was very happy a non singer won. 

This year... obviously it's going to be Kodi, right? Maybe Emanne since she's an opera SINGER and a cute precocious little girl?

My finals would be V. Unbeatable <-- simply amazing. I liken them to a super group of competitive Cheerleaders mixed with martial arts, b-boying. Even if they don't win... there's plenty of dance contest/championships they would absolutely crush.  (Plus them winning would leave back to back winners of the "variety" kind)

Chris Klafford is IMO the best vocalist left on AGT. Benicio comes 2nd, and Kodi 3rd (Purely for vocals... I love Kodi and what he does is crazy).

Nobody really stands out for me other than a select few that I've already mentioned. 

Edited by OfficialJiNi
  • Love 4

Yeah, I figured Dom's trick was set up in such a way that everybody's finger would land on Tape Face no matter what, with a little added sleight of hand to make sure Terry picked the correct directions, but I still enjoyed it.

I generally don't like singers on this show, but I think there's something special about Benicio. I thought the arrangement was great--it sounded like a song that could easily fit into what's on the radio today. Agree with others that Simon can take up his unending issues with the production value of the performances with HIS staff and not the acts themselves.

Marcin is incredible, but I'm nervous he won't make it through. Definitely feel like he'll end up in the Dunkin Save at the very least.

Eric was clearly nervous, but so incredible. When he smashed the last Rubik's cube back into candy??? Amazing.

I thought Berywam were smart to do one cohesive song instead of just trying to cram as many different sound effects into 90 seconds as possible. I don't know if it'll pay off, but I enjoyed it.

MacKenzie might be one of the okayest singers I've ever heard. Not terrible. Not great. Just there.

Can we please stop pretending that child opera singers are special? There's been at least one every season since Jackie Evancho. My eyes completely glazed over during Emmane's performance.

Yeah, this was leaps and bounds better than the last two quarter finals--figures they'd put all the good acts in the same show. Would like to see Dom, Marcin, Eric, and Berywam make it through. Benicio too, but I don't think we have to worry about him.

• Love 6
5 hours ago, Sounder said:

The two magicians.....Dom Chambers and Eric Chein made this show for me .....

I agree 100%. My favorite of the night is Dom Chambers, he has been my favorite from his first audition. He is fun to watch and has a great stage presence. I really liked Eric's magic with the chocolate but thought his stage presence was bland. For a Vegas show he would need to change that and be more entertaining.

I like the guy with the guitar but don't know how he could do an hour or two show, his fingers would be bleeding by the end. And that would be a boring act.

I thought Jackie Fabulous was okay. I think with an extended set and a little more raunchiness she could have a small show in Vegas.

Not impressed with any of the singers. The young boy with the pony tail looked like he was going to cry when Howie said he wasn't impressed with his song choice. The opera girl has talent but I'm not into opera and don't know what she's singing.

The dog act wasn't good but the trick with the feet was.

The hoop guy had a lot of glitter on and I hated the music and thought he should've had a hoop that lights up.

The other acts didn't do anything for me. 

Gonzo is a joke and should've never made it this far but I think I've figured it out. They keep acts like his so they can hate on them to get them voted off and keep the acts they really want.

Loved the color of that dress on Julianne.

Who's face was that all over Gabby's dress?

Get rid of the buzzer during these shows, you put these idiots through!

• Love 3
44 minutes ago, foxfreakinmulder said:

The hoop guy had a lot of glitter on and I hated the music and thought he should've had a hoop that lights up.

This made me laugh since I imagined Hoop Guy being electrocuted via his lighted hoop in all that water.

Yeah, I'm bad.

• LOL 5
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, marykat71702 said:

I think I might be done with this show. Boredom is outweighing entertainment, and I still can't figure out how some of these acts are supposed to be able to headline a Vegas show.🤷‍♀️

It's only a 4 date residency comprising of AGT finalists - once they see the ticket sales for a billing featuring overweight singers and kid who is good at his act for a kid, but not really that great, the term will be changed to a "flatline" act.

• Love 2