Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E03: They Are Weak, But He Is Strong

• Start Topic

I got a hinky feeling from that guy taunting Gideon with the hot dog on a stick.  It gave me the vibe of implied sexual intimidation and dominance.  I don't remember hearing how these guys teamed up in the first place - was it jail?  And why does that dude say that Gideon/Jesse "owes" him?  [Thanks]

Walton Goggins in that wig... priceless.  The penis count for this episode is:  3 I think.

Edited by patty1h
  • Love 4

Walton Freaking Goggins!  As "Uncle" Baby Billy, Aimee-Leigh's older brother, who is now working for the Gemstones as a pastor at a church inside an actual mall (which, of course, use to be a Sears.)  Complete with white hair and a naive, much younger wife.  Oh, this should be fun!  His sermons were already reminding me of the arc in Justified, when Goggins' Boyd Crowder "found Jesus" and became a "preacher man."

Glad to see more of Eli this go around and what he is capable of.  Also like that Dermont Mulrony's character seems to be sticking around as an antagonist of some kind.

I do hope that Jesse's mistreatment towards his lackeys ends up coming back to haunt him.

I am curious to see why Gideon seems to put up with that creepy guy's shit.  I did love that he said the Gemstones would actually like the Fast & the Furious franchise since family is such a big deal in it.  That is true, family does get name-dropped all the time in that series!

• Like 1
  • Love 4

Sounds like Kenny, the main blackmailer is a vet stunt man that Gideon must have met.

Somehow Gideon convinced Kenny or vice versa that they should rob Jesse.

These Gemstones, especially Jesse, aren't just people with some flaws.  They are absolutely grifters and criminals but hide their nature with the televangelism, whereas real life televangelists who've been caught will say they've sinned, but they're basically doing god's work and we're all sinners, yada, yada, but will redeem himself.

• Love 8

I don't get the reasoning behind all the nudity and especially the dicks in this show. I'm no prude but what is it adding to the show. Is it supposed to be funny or shocking? It's disgusting. I love Walton Goggins but I did not need to see his flaccid penis, balls and ass, just yuk. In my mind it brings the actors down a notch to do such stupid juvenile stunts. 

• Like 1
  • Love 2

I read part of an article on the Slate.com website that says there's male nudity in every episode.  Here is part of the quote: 

... the cast and crew have boasted about the surfeit of schlongs as part of the show’s balls-to-the-wall appeal—and even as an example of its progressive bona fides. “There is an episode that has about six dicks in it,” Edi Patterson told a Variety reporter last month. “This show is not afraid of anything.” Added Devine: “I’m happy it’s making [male nudity] less taboo, because women have been naked in movies for decades.”   The full article is here.

• Love 4

Walton Goggins in that white wig is just incredible. In preacher mode I start getting serious Justified vibes again, oh the memories! It seems like Baby Billy kind of peaked when he was a kid performing with his sister, and is still trying to ride that Christian child star fame and his connection with the Gemstones. I mean, he is a grown ass man who lets people call him Baby Billy!

So how did Gideon meet this creepy guy in Hollywood? I imagine he was more interested in screwing his asshole hypocrite dad over than actually getting the money, but this guy wants his money and he wants it now!

"You are forgiven of my suspicions of you." One day, Jessie's dickhead behavior towards his lackeys is seriously going to bite him in the ass. 

• Love 10

I love Walton Goggins but I did not need to see his flaccid penis, balls and ass, just yuk. 

First of all, I am fairly certain that was a stand-in's penis. You don't see Goggins' face in that shot. Second, where does all the fandom come from for this actor? Is it Justified? Never got into that show but the way everyone was anticipating the actor on this series made me wonder.

• Love 1

Walton Goggins is an outstanding actor, I've loved him for years, since I first saw him in a little movie called The Apostle, and many other things since, but yeah, I'd say most of his fandom comes from Justified, and, um  justifiably so. Boyd Crowder is a role of a lifetime, and his portrayal was amazing. He can also, as we see when he's paired with Danny McBride, sell the hell out of comedy.

I've had a crush on him for a long time, and I kinda hope that penis wasn't his. Didn't really up to the fantasy, tho certainly THIS role is not that kind of fantasy fodder, tho he's hilarious. I do think it's funny to see so many dicks, tho. Women have had to get naked for roles for years, it's only fair.

• Applause 1
  • Love 6
23 hours ago, patty1h said:

I read part of an article on the Slate.com website that says there's male nudity in every episode.  Here is part of the quote: 

... the cast and crew have boasted about the surfeit of schlongs as part of the show’s balls-to-the-wall appeal—and even as an example of its progressive bona fides. “There is an episode that has about six dicks in it,” Edi Patterson told a Variety reporter last month. “This show is not afraid of anything.” Added Devine: “I’m happy it’s making [male nudity] less taboo, because women have been naked in movies for decades.”   The full article is here.

Well. Yuk. Sure hope this is not going to be a new thing. It's pretty gross. Actually makes me feel bad for the actors . How about we stop the unnecessary nudity all tougher. Male and female. Degrading in most situations to both.

3 hours ago, luna1122 said:

Walton Goggins is an outstanding actor, I've loved him for years, since I first saw him in a little movie called The Apostle, and many other things since, but yeah, I'd say most of his fandom comes from Justified, and, um  justifiably so. Boyd Crowder is a role of a lifetime, and his portrayal was amazing. He can also, as we see when he's paired with Danny McBride, sell the hell out of comedy.

I've had a crush on him for a long time, and I kinda hope that penis wasn't his. Didn't really up to the fantasy, tho certainly THIS role is not that kind of fantasy fodder, tho he's hilarious. I do think it's funny to see so many dicks, tho. Women have had to get naked for roles for years, it's only fair.

Love Boyd Crowder ( not to mention Timothy Olyphant, boy do miss Justified)  also and Ha. I was thinking the same thing! Disappointing body-wise. 

• Love 4

The dick pics made me cringe for sure, but I get why they put them out there. But what I don't like is graphic urinating. That's just gross and disgusting and unnecessary.

Walton Goggins is his usual awesome self. He paired quite nicely with John Goodman.

And I'm with those who believe Jesse will soon get his for pushing his crew around too harshly. We saw some justified displeasure from Levi.

• Love 3

The funniest part of the episode to me was at the end when Eli made those guys run through the mall naked, there was one dude that was just sauntering along, no hurry, with all the confidence in the world. I looked at my friend and said, "That guy must have one giant dick." 😂

• LOL 2
  • Love 2

This show is like trying to make a sitcom out of an ISIS cell. I tried. I'm out.

Well, I don't know if I'd go that far. But I will say that the humor seems very audience specific. As I've said before, I never watched Vice Principals or Eastbound and Down, but if this show is typical of the stuff Danny McBride writes, I'd say it's very niche comedy. I don't think I'm the audience for it either. I've stuck with it this long but overall I just don't think it's all that funny. It's just not that engaging or compelling, IMO. I recorded this week's show and when I saw it on my DVR the next day I pondered whether or not I wanted to bother watching it. That's not a good sign.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
On 9/3/2019 at 12:59 PM, iMonrey said:

Second, where does all the fandom come from for this actor? Is it Justified?

Does no one here remember "The Shield"?! He was very intense as Shane in that, and was a riot as Venus on "Sons of Anarchy".

13 hours ago, The Solution said:

This show is like trying to make a sitcom out of an ISIS cell. I tried. I'm out.

I stayed long enough to see Walton Goggins, but even he couldn't keep me interested. This show isn't telling me anything I didn't already know about sleazy preachers, and it isn't funny at all. YMMV

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Broderbits said:

I stayed long enough to see Walton Goggins, but even he couldn't keep me interested. This show isn't telling me anything I didn't already know about sleazy preachers, and it isn't funny at all. YMMV

Tell me about it. I loved Eastbound and Down and watched Vice Principals, but this I can't do. It's just not funny.

• Love 1
On 9/2/2019 at 12:07 AM, thuganomics85 said:

Walton Freaking Goggins!  As "Uncle" Baby Billy, Aimee-Leigh's older brother, who is now working for the Gemstones as a pastor at a church inside an actual mall (which, of course, use to be a Sears.)  Complete with white hair and a naive, much younger wife.  Oh, this should be fun!  His sermons were already reminding me of the arc in Justified, when Goggins' Boyd Crowder "found Jesus" and became a "preacher man."

Glad to see more of Eli this go around and what he is capable of.  Also like that Dermont Mulrony's character seems to be sticking around as an antagonist of some kind.

I do hope that Jesse's mistreatment towards his lackeys ends up coming back to haunt him.

I am curious to see why Gideon seems to put up with that creepy guy's shit.  I did love that he said the Gemstones would actually like the Fast & the Furious franchise since family is such a big deal in it.  That is true, family does get name-dropped all the time in that series!

On 9/3/2019 at 1:28 AM, tennisgurl said:

Walton Goggins in that white wig is just incredible. In preacher mode I start getting serious Justified vibes again, oh the memories! It seems like Baby Billy kind of peaked when he was a kid performing with his sister, and is still trying to ride that Christian child star fame and his connection with the Gemstones. I mean, he is a grown ass man who lets people call him Baby Billy!

So how did Gideon meet this creepy guy in Hollywood? I imagine he was more interested in screwing his asshole hypocrite dad over than actually getting the money, but this guy wants his money and he wants it now!

"You are forgiven of my suspicions of you." One day, Jessie's dickhead behavior towards his lackeys is seriously going to bite him in the ass. 

On 9/3/2019 at 1:10 PM, luna1122 said:

Walton G is a national treasure to me.  In his Danny B roles he plays sleazy creepy characters that just make my skin crawl. Yet, he always manages to give them some heart and soul and it’s not easy to make such despicable people sympathetic.

I also love watching him dance. His moves are always so wrong yet so right. 

Edited by qtpye
  • Applause 1
  • Love 7
8 hours ago, qtpye said:

Walton G is a national treasure to me. He plays these characters. In his Danny B roles he plays sleazy creepy characters that just make my skin crawl. Yet, he always manages to give the some heart and soul and it’s not easy to make such despicable people sympathetic.

I also love watching him dance. His moves are always so wrong yet so right. 

He's one of those actors who makes me smile, even in his bad guy-ish roles.  I'd love to meet him for a beer.  I bet he'd be a really interesting person to talk to.

• Love 6