Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E04: Bruce

(edited)

Bruce: (Allegedly) abused coach.

WHY the need for them to emphasize that Bruce's brother was adopted? He's just his brother, FFS. and my Time Warner Guide made sure to explain that Bruce was "allegedly" abused, SMDH. Other than that, I thought the episode was just OK, but I did FF through about 3/4 of it!

Edited by DangerousMinds
  • Love 2

Yeah, I was wondering why they kept stressing that Bruce's brother was adopted.  Maybe it had something to do with the abuse, somehow.  I can't really figure it out.  Like, it somehow explained why the brother was not abused?  Or, it wasn't as bad if he was abused because he wasn't blood related?  I don't agree with any of those statements, but I just couldn't figure out why it was so stressed and whenever he was on the screen the tag said "adopted brother".  Quite honestly, that adopted brother (I forgot his name!  I would prefer to use his name but I'm too lazy to go look it up), didn't look all that affected by any of the abuse talk and he looked kind of bored at the hearing. 

How old was Bruce?  He seemed really young.  Almost too young to be a high school coach.  I doubt he's the head coach.  I also can't get into the whole mind-set of the ultra-male, sport-dude.  I hated all the yelling and the hitting when he was happy (he almost pushed Chris over!), but I know that some guys are like that.  Also, when he made some comment about wanting to be a "stud" and then showing off the "guns" when he missed that 9 month goal by 2%- I wanted to vomit.  I just kept chalking it up to young/immature and the whole sport thing.  But, I didn't like it. So annoying.

I am glad they stressed therapy, though.  Bruce definitely needed it, as do a lot of people on this show.  I hope that the therapy helped him out. 

I'm ready for a different story.  I hope next week isn't another abused person.

(edited)

My guess is that the "alleged" abuse was that Bruce's case was not what got the old man put in prison. If it has not been to court, it's still alleged, at least in the media.

The "adopted brother" thing was odd. Was it someone's condition for agreeing to appear on camera?

Since when do doctors themselves wheel patients to the OR? Not for any surgery I ever had.

I'm so glad we finally got to see someone who worked hard and didn't whine. I wish we had seen more (anything) about his eating. Since he was already working out before Chris showed up, I assume that diet was the biggest change - but what, and how?

Next week: Heidi in charge. Oh, boy.

ETA: I believe it said on screen that Bruce was 29 at the beginning of "the transformation". That's certainly old enough to be a head coach, especially at a smaller school. Given that they gave his last name repeatedly during the show, it would be easy enough to check out.

Edited by k2p2
(edited)

ETA: I believe it said on screen that Bruce was 29 at the beginning of "the transformation". That's certainly old enough to be a head coach, especially at a smaller school. Given that they gave his last name repeatedly during the show, it would be easy enough to check out.

He just seemed much younger in his speech pattern and behavior.  You're right, 29 is old enough to be  head coach so he probably is.  I just thought he both looked and acted much younger than his apparent actual age.  I think his confidence and successes will help him with that, though.  I am happy for him that this show has really helped him move on from his past and he is now having success with this show, etc. 

Edited by GenL

Salt Lake City newspaper says Bruce is an assistant coach at Orem High School, and that his father's conviction was for crimes against other children, not Bruce, which I guess was why they used "alleged". His father had lost multiple jobs and his teaching certification due to allegations of inappropriate contact in several states and was a recreational football coach when convicted. I can only think his wife had her head in the sand.

I liked this episode, but agree I would have liked to see more about how they dealt with therapy and eating issues, rather than working out and meeting his idols. dealing with eating issues is 80-90% of the problem and seems to be glossed over on this show.

I would have figured that use of the term "alleged" was how they got the father to sign a release to appear on camera.  They didn't explain that his conviction did not include abusing Bruce.  That explains why he was still denying it - no way he is going to admit to additional crimes he hasn't been convicted of in front of a parole hearing!

I went searching for his age last night, too, because it was bugging me. He looked like a teenager after the first 90 days, but then he got kind of haggard and his skin was blotchy and coarse at the final weigh-in. Honestly, he looked a bit sickly to me.

Be interesting to see what his involvement will be next season; another yelly trainer, I guess.

(edited)

I'm not surprised about the concussion. It was scary that he waited 10 days to have his head evaluated. I often wonder how these folks don't get more injuries or develop painful conditions. They're 300-400 pounds walking on their hands or even regular walking on their feet would seem to me to have heel spurs and plantar fasciitis and shin splints (sp?) written all over it. I'm no expert, but it seems swimming would be so much easier on their joints etc. I get it that some folks don't swim per se, but paddling or water aerobics or something would better imo at least when they are so very heavy. I really worry about the over 40 folks. They don't highlight or mention many injuries and I really wonder about that aspect of it all.

I see them swinging those kettle shaped weights around. What does one do with those exactly? Swing them? Yes, I'm a doofus.

I really enjoyed Bruce's enthusiasm and joy. Good for him. I don't know what his father did to him, but I do believe it was something terribly horrible and painful. They can use "alleged" because they are obligated in the legal sense, but I found Bruce believable. 

I wondered if they mentioned the adopted issue with the brother because it has probably come up in life with people, strangers, onlookers who feel the need to comment, that one "brother" (even as adults) is so morbidly obese while the other brother looks about average weight. I'm guessing intrusive people probably ask why as in, "your brother can manage his weight and genetic propensity for weight gain, why can't you?" "Um... because he has different genes." I'm just speculating obviously.

Edited by ari333

I see them swinging those kettle shaped weights around. What does one do with those exactly? Swing them? Yes, I'm a doofus.

Kettlebells are really great exercise- if you do them right.  Or, you can do them like me, have bad form and hurt your back and give yourself tennis elbow (the elbow may have also been due to free-weights).  Tons of people swear by them, though. 

Kettlebells are really great exercise- if you do them right.  Or, you can do them like me, have bad form and hurt your back and give yourself tennis elbow (the elbow may have also been due to free-weights).  Tons of people swear by them, though. 

Thank you for that honesty. I was scared of that for reasons you mentioned. I can totally see myself getting all fired up and doing it wrong. The kettle seems like great exercise, but I guess I need to Google how to do before I run out and buy sah-um.  Bruce was really getting into it so good for him on that.

Kettle bells are the devil.  My trainer routinely has me swinging them.  You wouldn't think doing that 15 times would be so hard, but try swinging a 50 pound-er once, by the time you hit 5 you want to die, by the time you hit 10 you're praying death takes you and by the time you hit 15 you're hoping you don't make it through.  They are a great way to get your heart rate up though.  Exploding through my chest is generally how I feel after 15 swings.

I liked Bruce.  He seemed to get it.  No excuses, not even an injury.  It's kind of scary how many people think an injury - any injury - means you must stop working out at all.  The concussion was serious and I'm glad he stopped, but I have a stress fracture in my foot right now and I can't count the number of people who are shocked that I'm still weight training, swimming and doing the stationary bike.  They are APPALLED that I would still work out while my foot is essentially broken.  As long as I'm not running (which is how I got it), pounding or jumping....I'm fine.  And yes, a doctor said that.

I hope he continues to improve and does keep up with his workout schedule.  I don't know if they should be taking it easy on people who are overweight with the workouts.  They need to realize it's not easy.  I don't see Chris having them do anything that's really taxing on the joints like running or jumping.  It's mostly weight training with some light jogging here and there until they lose enough weight.  Then it seems he moves them into more cardio type moves.

I will never get over my hatred of how much importance they put on the number though.  My trainer has had to beat it through my head that the number on a scale means nothing.  Since I started weight training with him I have had 2 or 3 meltdowns about gaining weight when in reality it's because I'm gaining muscle.  I wish they'd focus more on that aspect.

• Love 1

I was stunned to see that he was drinking 5 of those 100 ounce barrels of soda a day before he started with Chris.  (And it was Mountain Dew! Forget about the sugar, that much caffeine must be near toxic levels.)  That's the kind of thing that if you knock off, your weight would automatically drop - back of the envelope calculation puts that in the ballpark of 8000 calories/day just in soda.

I was glad that he was so successful; the first ten minutes of this particular episode were so sad I wasn't sure if I'd be able to watch the whole thing.

• Love 2
(edited)

Just before the parole hearing, what I heard was Bruce saying that he felt guilty about not speaking of the abuse at the time of the trial. Can people do that though? I thought the speakers at a parole hearing had to be related or involved in the trial or a relative of a victim... as opposed to a new victim coming forward. Don't get me wrong; I believe Bruce. I just wondered about the process. "He means a great deal to me?" Really Dad? Also, do they normally wait two to four weeks for the decision? If there are attorneys here, or anyone else who knows, TIA. '

Wow, Bruce's face really transformed. He looked so cute and youthful. Good on him. I'm so glad they do the dental work as part of the makeover. That really makes a huge difference and is very costly, I'm guessing. I felt bad when he called himself, "Circle Kool-ade head."

At the beginning when these folks are at their highest weight and presumably in the least best shape, why must they be out in the blazing effing sun? Exercise doesn't have to be torture. That sitch, (situation) as the kids say, has heat stroke written all over it, imo.

Edited by ari333

At the beginning when these folks are at their highest weight and presumably in the least best shape, why must they be out in the blazing effing sun? Exercise doesn't have to be torture.

I also had to wonder at the CRAWLING DOWN the amphitheater seats.  Like, really? I understand the functional exercise thing, but CRAWLING DOWN cement and wood step/seats seems like it's needlessly humiliating (and also not that functional - when would any adult ever really do that?)

• Love 1

At the beginning when these folks are at their highest weight and presumably in the least best shape, why must they be out in the blazing effing sun? 

Because it's important that they realize there are no excuses.  Weather, kids, family, work will always get in your way.  When you have made a commitment and there's this much on the line, then you exercise even when it's hot.  I live in Colorado and I can tell you when it's hot out, it's hot out EVERYWHERE, whether you're inside or outside.  People will probably start responding with "Well they can work out inside too." and yes,  you can.  But again, no excuses.  Get up and move, whether it's hot or snowing or kids are screaming or spouses are being jerks.....just do it.

And from personal experience of being a runner, there is little that feels better than finishing a run in 90 degree weather and knowing it didn't stop me.

• Love 1

Because it's important that they realize there are no excuses.  Weather, kids, family, work will always get in your way.  When you have made a commitment and there's this much on the line, then you exercise even when it's hot.  I live in Colorado and I can tell you when it's hot out, it's hot out EVERYWHERE, whether you're inside or outside.  People will probably start responding with "Well they can work out inside too." and yes,  you can.  But again, no excuses.  Get up and move, whether it's hot or snowing or kids are screaming or spouses are being jerks.....just do it.

And from personal experience of being a runner, there is little that feels better than finishing a run in 90 degree weather and knowing it didn't stop me.

Having lived in Arizona for the past ten years, all I can say is "Preach it!"  Anyone who wants to find a way to work out will do so regardless of time, weather, or other circumstances.  And if you can't afford a personal trainer like Chris, Heidi, or even Bruce himself now, apparently?  You can always look up workout demos online via YouTube or Google or follow professional trainers on Twitter or Facebook the way I do.  It's all about motivating yourself, which is exactly what Bruce's journey reinforced for me.  I personally am glad that the show has asked him to come back as a coach; I think he'll be a great addition just because he's "been there, done that."

What I thought was odd about the brother is that he didn't ever have an interview or say anything. Don't they often have other family members speak? I kept waiting for him to say something about Bruce, but they never showed him.

I really liked Bruce. Yeah he could be a little over-the-top, but that's his persona. He is a coach and it seemed to get his team fired up. What I liked most though was how he seemed sincerely grateful for every little thing that he had the opportunity to do. Sometimes I get frustrated with the lack of gratitude on these shows (biggest loser etc). People forget how lucky they really are for the chance. I hope Bruce keeps it up!

• Love 1

It was interesting to me that after everything Bruce went through with his dad, being a coach, etc. that Bruce decided to go down the exact same path. Obviously I mean the coaching, not the abuse! I would have wanted to get the hell out of that town and forget high school and coaching and do something completely different.

I was stunned to see that he was drinking 5 of those 100 ounce barrels of soda a day before he started with Chris. (And it was Mountain Dew! Forget about the sugar, that much caffeine must be near toxic levels.)

That freaked me out as well. I don't know how anyone drinks that much liquid period. The highest amount I've seen touted is an ounce per pound (of water I mean) but I suppose the caffeine is dehydrating & he was working outside with his team as well. I think if I was downing 500 ounces of anything every day I'd feel nauseated most of the time.

I agree with y'all that the insistence on labeling the brother as adopted messed up an otherwise above average episode. What was up with that? Bruce was shown hugging him as often as his mom & the mom was shown holding onto him at the parole hearing. They don't seem estranged so why the additional descriptive?

Bruce feeling guilty for not speaking out about the abuse & how other kids were hurt was just heart breaking. What a horrible burden to live with. Who knows what his mom did or was capable of doing, but he needed therapy long before this. However I was glad that the show was providing therapy & made a point of him mentioning it.

While Bruce's relentless upbeat attitude would drive me slightly bonkers in real life it seems to be serving him well. As a means to encourage himself in his new lifestyle & as a way to motivate his team it's probably a huge bonus. He was one of the most pleasant participants that i can recall.

(edited)

I would have wanted to get the hell out of that town and forget high school and coaching and do something completely different.

Especially the Provo/Orem area. With such a high profile case, that area would have been difficult to live in. But it sounds like everyone rallied around him so much and supported him so much. He probably felt the "family" vibe and didn't want to lose that. And now he has the chance to give back to the community that supported him. 

Edited by oceanchild3
(edited)

While Bruce's relentless upbeat attitude would drive me slightly bonkers in real life it seems to be serving him well. As a means to encourage himself in his new lifestyle & as a way to motivate his team it's probably a huge bonus. He was one of the most pleasant participants that i can recall.

I'm not saying this to be mean or insulting, but he didn't come across as very bright. Maybe it's a defense mechanism, but everything he said was just sort of "yeah!" without much in the way of deep thought. There were a few times where his grammar or word choice was really off for a 29 year old (saying so-and-so "standed" here, his weird way of saying concussion.). Separate from the abuse issue, ignorance seemed to be pretty blissful, so good for him? I guess?

Edited by Shibori
  • Love 1

Wow, you guys. I must have made my point very poorly. I didn't mean that there are excuses. I meant that at 400 pounds given that there is a choice between working out inside and working out in the blazing sun ...and in front of others and ....walking on his hands....and downhill on stadium seats -- I just think there are other ways to go with that.  That's all I meant. Also people who are in condition to run for any significant distance in heat are very different people than what these folks start out as.  

• Love 4

Really enjoyed this episode.  Just started watching this show and was wondering if Chris ever felt so connecting to a contestant.  Chris seemed to really care about Bruce & not surprised that Bruce will be working on the show soon.  Good for him!

• Love 1

@ari333--I hear ya!  I live in a very humid area and sometimes just walking outside to the mailbox takes all my effort (I'm not in very good shape myself).  There are times when I'm outside in June or July, wondering what I would do if I was on one of those shows and had to work out in this heat--I'm afraid I would just keel over and die.  Even starting a new exercise regimen inside with the air on, I have to start slowly and work my way up--I just don't think that starting a new life by passing out first is for me!

• Love 1
(edited)

Exercise is fun. Anything I want to do everyday better have something fun built into it heh. I just don't think suffering and vomiting is the only way to go. Chris gave some awww moments with Bruce which were nice. It could be that I ff'd through it, but I don't recall seeing any or much of the Mrs. during this eppy  which is a huge plus for me. 

Edited by ari333
  • Love 2

Wow, you guys. I must have made my point very poorly. I didn't mean that there are excuses. I meant that at 400 pounds given that there is a choice between working out inside and working out in the blazing sun ...and in front of others and ....walking on his hands....and downhill on stadium seats -- I just think there are other ways to go with that.  That's all I meant. Also people who are in condition to run for any significant distance in heat are very different people than what these folks start out as.  

I got what you meant and my point still stands.  There are no excuses and Bruce didn't complain a bit about it because I would assume he knew that.  It's called a "fight or flight" workout not a "let me take it easy on you cuz you're huge and I'm worried about your joints" workout.  People who don't want to workout or have no motivation to do so are masters at feeling a twinge of "something" in a muscle and that means you have to stop.  Bruce survived it.  He walked down the stairs at Red Rocks at a blazing hot day and he survived.  So when Chris throws something at him that seems insurmountable he can think back to that day and how much he didn't think he'd make it through that, but he did.

I don't understand the point of your last sentence...so I'll just say this - again - there is little that gives me more confidence after a run then knowing the conditions were not ideal and I finished it anyway.

And I think suffering is a bit extreme.  While someone may like to complain throughout a workout that they are suffering, chances are once they are done they realize themselves that that is dramatic and over the top.  Working out is tough....but dying when you're 35 from heart failure because you couldn't handle breathing hard for 30 seconds is WAY better.

• Love 1

Question: I know that they do a whole battery of medical tests on the participants in these shows (I think we saw more about that last season, especially when there was sleep apnea involved, but sometimes they also gave the resting metabolic rate, which I thought was interesting), but the timing is unclear.  In this episode, it seemed like the medical tests were done AFTER the Red Rocks crawl, but I have to believe that's editing rather than real - it's one thing to do a fight-or-flight workout when you know the person has been medically cleared; it's entirely another to do it when they haven't been.  Does anyone know what the timing for the participants is?

• Love 1

I liked this episode a lot. You have those weight loss episodes where you just KNOW the people are going to gain all the weight back and haven't made any life changes, and you have the episodes where you feel like someone actually made a profound, permanent change in their lives. This is how I felt about Bruce. He really seems like someone who was bettered by being on the show because he actually took the opportunity and did the work he needed to do, both physically and emotionally. 

I'm not saying this to be mean or insulting, but he didn't come across as very bright. Maybe it's a defense mechanism, but everything he said was just sort of "yeah!" without much in the way of deep thought. There were a few times where his grammar or word choice was really off for a 29 year old (saying so-and-so "standed" here, his weird way of saying concussion.). Separate from the abuse issue, ignorance seemed to be pretty blissful, so good for him? I guess?

My guess...he might not be the brightest bulb, but I'm also guessing that he tries to avoid deep thought as much as possible because it hurts too much to think. His whole "rah rah rah!" persona makes a lot of sense given his life.

I also just figure he's extremely emotionally stunted given his life.

Anyway, I thought he looked great at the end- he looked a bit like someone I assumed was a cousin at the parole hearing.

• Love 2

I had to mute the final weigh-in. The brosomely brotastic brosomeness was getting to me, because overcompensation much? Just because your father allegedly abused you, Bruce, doesn't mean you're gay. I found it a bit much how he talked about wanting to be known as a "stud," not the kid whose father abused him.

Still, I admired his work ethic. And while the outrageous weight-loss goals still infuriate me, Bruce didn't seem to suffer from as much loose skin as a lot of other "contestants." This is an instance where nature should have been allowed to take its course. He was only 29 years old, and he was obviously building muscle. In a year or two, his loose skin issue probably would have resolved to a much greater degree.

It was kind of cute to see Chris have one of his full-blown fat-boy crushes. I don't think we've seen that in a while. I think I'll skip next episode when Heidinstein is featured.

• Love 1

I can't blame Chris for it- he's probably gotten used to people who clearly only did this to get on TV without actually intending to put forth a real, concerted effort, and here comes a guy who's not only meeting the goal at almost every single weigh-in, but exceeding them.  Of course Bruce would be able to get his jaded little heart excited again.

• Love 1

I had to mute the final weigh-in. The brosomely brotastic brosomeness was getting to me, because overcompensation much? Just because your father allegedly abused you, Bruce, doesn't mean you're gay. I found it a bit much how he talked about wanting to be known as a "stud," not the kid whose father abused him.

Still, I admired his work ethic. And while the outrageous weight-loss goals still infuriate me, Bruce didn't seem to suffer from as much loose skin as a lot of other "contestants." This is an instance where nature should have been allowed to take its course. He was only 29 years old, and he was obviously building muscle. In a year or two, his loose skin issue probably would have resolved to a much greater degree.

It was kind of cute to see Chris have one of his full-blown fat-boy crushes. I don't think we've seen that in a while. I think I'll skip next episode when Heidinstein is featured.

Exactly what I was going to say!

This episode was hard to watch because of all of the chest bumping, "freakin' yeah's", football jock talk, "dude".

Good for him for doing so well. I also agree with you about the loose skin- he is young & they could give it a little more time.