Type keyword(s) to search

Barry In The Media

Meredith Quill
  • Start Topic

A little late, but Hader on the show and more from THR:

At the Television Critics Association's winter press tour on Thursday in Pasadena, the actor-comedian revealed that the dark comedy he created with Silicon Valley executive producer Alec Berg was inspired by his own time on the NBC mainstay. "It's the idea that this thing you’re really good at is actually kind of destroying you," Hader said onstage, flanked by his co-star Henry Winkler and Berg. "And I kind of related to that on SNL."

Barry is a disillusioned hitman from the Midwest. His handler, Fuches, sends him to LA to execute a hit for the Chechen mob, led by Goran Pazar and his right-hand man, NoHo Hank. Barry’s target: an aspiring actor who is having an affair with Pazar’s wife. Barry follows his “mark” into an acting class taught by beloved teacher/guru Gene Cousineau, and is instantly drawn to the group of students, especially Sally. Barry wants to start a new life in the class, but the criminal world won’t let him walk away so easily.

• Love 1
(edited)

I am not sure exactly why, but seeing Bill Hader and Henry Winkler nominated for Emmys today warmed my cold, cold heart this morning.  I am so happy for them both.  I am glad to see this show get some recognition, it is highly deserved.  The acting (and the writing) were awesome. 

Edited by MarMar
  • Love 5
(edited)

Full list of Barry's Emmy nominations:

Comedy Series
Lead Actor in a Comedy Series - Bill Hader
Supporting Actor in a Comedy Series - Henry Winkler
Writing for a Comedy Series - Chapter One: Make Your Mark by Alec Berg and Bill HaderMedia for Barry
Writing for a Comedy Series - Chapter Seven: Loud, Fast and Keep Going by Liz Sarnoff
Directing for a Comedy Series - Chapter One: Make Your Mark by Bill Hader
Outstanding Production Design For A Narrative Program (Half-Hour Or Less) - Chapter Seven: Loud, Fast and Keep Going
Outstanding Casting For A Comedy Series
Outstanding Cinematography For A Single-Camera Series (Half-Hour) - Chapter Eight: Know Your Truth
Outstanding Single-Camera Picture Editing For A Comedy Series - Chapter Seven: Loud, Fast and Keep Going
Outstanding Single-Camera Picture Editing For A Comedy Series - Chapter Eight: Know Your Truth
Outstanding Sound Editing For A Comedy Or Drama Series (Half-Hour) And Animation - Chapter Seven: Loud, Fast and Keep Going
Outstanding Sound Mixing For A Comedy Or Drama Series (Half-Hour) And Animation - Chapter Seven: Loud, Fast and Keep Going

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 2
On 7/12/2018 at 2:20 PM, MarMar said:

I am not sure exactly why, but seeing Bill Hader and Henry Winkler nominated for Emmys today warmed my cold, cold heart this morning.  I am so happy for them both.  I am glad to see this show get some recognition, it is highly deserved.  The acting (and the writing) were awesome. 

You took the words right out of my mouth. I was so darn happy for them. Not only do they do such great work on this awesome show, but I’ve been fans of them both for a long time. 

• Love 3

Alone with my TV and my laundry folding, I clapped when Henry Winkler won and then teared up at his perfect, humble, concise acceptance speech. I loved how he turned it around to say that if anyone in the room ever had a chance to work with Bill Hader or Alec Berg to go for it.

• Love 1

The reason most guys age badly is the jawline- they lose all their chiseled. Poor Matthew Broderick wasn’t chiseled to begin with and now looks like a marshmallow. Ray Liotta used to be sooooo handsome I thought. His cheeks fell and now he’s just middle aged looking. 

• Love 1

Golden Globe nominations!

Best Television Series – Musical or Comedy
Best Performance by an Actor in a Television Series – Musical or Comedy: Bill Hader (“Barry”)
Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role in a Series, Limited Series or Motion Picture Made for Television: Henry Winkler (“Barry”)

• Love 1
On 11/24/2018 at 9:43 AM, lucindabelle said:

The reason most guys age badly is the jawline- they lose all their chiseled. Poor Matthew Broderick wasn’t chiseled to begin with and now looks like a marshmallow. Ray Liotta used to be sooooo handsome I thought. His cheeks fell and now he’s just middle aged looking. 

I think Ray had some really bad eye work, too.

I've found that tall, lanky kind of quirky looking guys tend to age the best, like Harry Connick Jr., Liam Neesom, Ryan Gosling, Ryan Reynolds, etc etc. Hell, I think Bill Hader at certain angles and in certain hairstyles can be pretty sexy. (I thought he looked really good in The Skeleton Twins.)  I can definitely see him looking pretty hot in his 50's.

I bought it. She had a crushing moment at that last audition for a bit role on a show starring her former peon co-star, then a second crushing moment when her half-agent became not-an-agent after she rebuffed him; it's not a good time to deal with all of Barry's weirdness.

I also thought she was right to be freaked out that Barry bought her a 3k dollar laptop like he was her sugar daddy. Sally had already basically been treated like she was expected to whore herself out for a job, and now Barry was basically given her a laptop after sex like he was paying her for a job well-done.

Sally is pretty self-centered and selfish, but she's also really nuanced, which is pretty awesome.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 3
On 6/21/2019 at 5:09 PM, scrb said:

Hader interviewed on Fresh Air.

https://www.npr.org/2019/06/20/734356166/on-hbos-barry-bill-hader-asks-can-you-change-your-nature

Talking about how the idea for hitman trying to be actor came together.

Actually had shot a pilot of a different idea but Hader and Berg couldn't imagine other episodes they'd write around the story and characters they'd developed for that pilot.

HBO spent money for Hader and Berg to develop that first pilot, then shoot it, then post-produce it...so I'm amazed on two counts. One, that Hader and Berg would even propose a concept without knowing how they'd flesh it out, and two, that HBO would have given them money without hearing a plan for this.

Maybe the interview helps explain it.

Hader sitting down with Bill Simmons on his latest podcast episode.

Haven't listened to it yet.

Kind of odd that he's doing all these interviews AFTER S02 has finished airing.

Maybe it's an Emmy campaign thing, keep his name and the show out there before the nominations come out, whenever that is.

They've only done 8-episode seasons so I guess they wouldn't need too much time to plan, write, shoot and edit for season 3.

10 hours ago, scrb said:

Maybe it's an Emmy campaign thing, keep his name and the show out there before the nominations come out, whenever that is.

They've only done 8-episode seasons

Yes, I think it's Emmy campaigning, and maybe short seasons make it more necessary to keep the show alive in the media through interviews.
But also perhaps it's just that the interviewers are fans of the show and really appreciate it.

Hader mentioned that Berg also has to work on Silicon Valley and he needs down time before they can plan out new seasons.

He also talked at length about how the feral animal child episode came about.  He said Berg joked that it's Hader's solo album, kind of out of place with the rest of the season.

Hader said it would not be a good intro to the series, just as watching Pine Barren would not be a good way to start watching The Sopranos.

• Useful 1

Holy crap!  While I was hoping for some more Emmy love, I wasn't expecting the entire main cast to get nominated!  Awesome!  I do worry that Henry Winkler, Stephen Root, and Anthony Carrigan could end up splitting the votes, but I'm glad each of them got recognition.  And whatever issues I have with the Sally character, Sally Goldberg is great and I certainly think that her big speech in episode 7 alone earned her a spot.  And, of course, Bill Hader definitely deserved another nom.

Along with best comedy, it also looks like Hader and Alec Berg will be competing against each other (and others) in the directing category, and both of them were also nominated for writing again.

Congrats for everyone involved!  I hope they at least pick up a trophy or two.

• Love 5

Bill Hader is on Jimmy Fallon right now. 
He's really on fire; I wish the interview portion was longer.

See also these 2 recent NY Times articles:

Edited by shapeshifter
11 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Yay, congratulations to Bill Hader for winning an Emmy for Outstanding Comedy Actor!

Yes, but I thought he looked a little disappointed for not winning for director for the “Lilly” episode

—like I can imagine him asking later: Hey, uh, guys, can I trade? 

Heh. 

Golden Globe nominations!

Best Television Series – Musical or Comedy
Bill Hader: Best Performance by an Actor in a Television Series – Musical or Comedy
Henry Winkler: Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role in a Series, Limited Series or Motion Picture Made for Television

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 1

Critics' Choice Award nominations!

Best Comedy Series

Best Actor in a Comedy Series – Bill Hader

Best Supporting Actor in a Comedy Series – Anthony Carrigan

Best Supporting Actor in a Comedy Series – Henry Winkler

Screen Actors Guild Award nominations:

Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Comedy Series - Bill Hader

Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Comedy Series

• Love 2

In case anyone is interested, Seth Rudetsky and James Wesley are doing 2 videos a day, mostly with Broadway folks, but a whole bunch are TV reunion casts.  Here's the one with the Barry cast (without Barry, but with lots of other fun folks).  It's a fun hour.

• Love 2
On 4/12/2020 at 11:02 AM, ebk57 said:

In case anyone is interested, Seth Rudetsky and James Wesley are doing 2 videos a day, mostly with Broadway folks, but a whole bunch are TV reunion casts.  Here's the one with the Barry cast (without Barry, but with lots of other fun folks).  It's a fun hour. https://youtu.be/BL0KyGd8GYc

Long, but worth it. Especially in these times.

• Love 1
(edited)

Due to release dates, Barry is only eligible for the 2020 Primetimers Awards category of "GOAT: Greatest Show Of All Time."
Barry made my short list of 6, but there is a 3-per-poster limit per category, and I didn't nominate it, thinking it could be nominated elsewhere. 
So, if anyone else wants to, here's the place: https://forums.primetimer.com/topic/109414-goat-greatest-show-of-all-time/

ETA: too late now. Maybe next year

Edited by shapeshifter

Bill Hader says seasons 3&4 are both written and ready to shoot

Right when the lockdown happened in March we were a week away from shooting. The last time I was in a room with a lot of people was the table read for Episodes 1 and 2 of Season 3 and we were ready to go. And then it all got shut down. Season 3 is completely written and ready to go, and during this time we actually went and wrote Season 4, so we have both of those kind of done. We’re just waiting until we can start shooting again.

• Love 2

Season 3 premiers on 4/24/22.

In the eight-episode new season, Barry (Bill Hader) is desperate to leave his violent past behind in favor of his newfound passion. But things will get messy as he attempts to untangle himself from the world of contract killing and fully immerse himself in acting.

While Barry has eliminated many of the external factors that pushed him towards violence, he soon discovers they weren’t the only forces at play. What is it about his own psyche that led him to become a killer in the first place? Season 3 finds Barry and the other characters trying to make the right choice.

Returning cast includes Stephen Root as Monroe Fuches, Barry’s former handler currently in hiding; Sarah Goldberg as Sally, Barry’s girlfriend in the midst of launching her first TV series; Anthony Carrigan as Noho Hank, head of the Chechen mob in L.A.; and Henry Winkler as Gene Cousineau, Barry’s former acting teacher who is in mourning over the loss of his girlfriend Detective Janice Moss.

Sarah Burns returns for Season 3 as a cast regular in the role of Detective Mae Dunn. Returning recurring cast includes D’Arcy Carden as Natalie Greer.

https://deadline.com/2022/02/barry-season-3-premiere-date-hbo-1234933936/

• Love 3

I'm getting very excited for this new season. Though, it does give me Dexter/Breaking Bad sort of vibes in that I can't really see the show ending happily for Barry. It feels like ultimately he's going to end up dead.

behind the scenes about the "Taylor Chase" from 710n (s3e06): (I like how Barry's description of what he needed it to be was very much like the BanShe exec to Sally's agent, all exclamations and grunts.)

Bill Hader interview with Variety about the s3 finale

Bill Hader interview with The Hollywood Reporter about the s3 finale

Bill Hader interview with Vulture/NY Mag about the s3 finale

Henry Winkler interview with Vulture/NY Mag about the s3 finale

• LOL 1
  • Love 2