Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E09: The Libertines

• Start Topic

Ok, I had more to say about the episode before that ending happened with Rhonda, Bash, and Mel's boyfriend Paul. I don't know why that scenario never crossed my mind. Of course Bash would go for a threesome where he'd be able to be with a guy. I was just stunned at how they approached it. I mean, if Rhonda didn't get why they have issues before, she must now!

So, Ruth/Sam admit feelings, make out (see! Ruth IS a cheater) and then get into a fight. I mean, Ruth should realize that she wasn't going to be handed a role, so getting mad at Sam was probably the wrong choice, but Sam probably should have figured out how to tell her in a better way. Also, what happened with Ruth after being left outside of the bar? She never even called Sheila?

It was nice that Sheila got her shining moment on stage. Good for her! Also great to see Sandy performing as well.

Poor Bobby. His venue gets set on fire, which sucks. I did like the Bobby/Debbie scenes. 

• Love 10

I like how Debbie has been slowly growing in confidence and becoming a genuine producer. Betty Gilpin looked amazing in the Marlene Dietrich getup.

15 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

Poor Bobby. His venue gets set on fire, which sucks.

I wonder if Sheila's monologue was supposed to foreshadow that, given she talked about a fire. Isn't that venue in the Fan-Tan?

I love how Tammé was so supportive of Sheila.

• Love 4
(edited)

Wow, Bash is becoming a bigger jerk with every episode. There was no need for him to yell at some poor guy for teaching Rhonda how to ride a bike.

That Evita dress at the ball was gorgeous! I would love to see Jenny work with Bobby. Debbie looked amazing too.

I love "My Cup Runneth Over" (from the musical I Do! I Do!) so bonus points for that performance.

I hate that Ruth abandoned Sheila and their performance to see Sam. Fine, you're in love but can't you deal with that when you haven't already made a commitment to one of your friends? I'm glad Sheila got such an enthusiastic response from the crowd. It was clear that she was moved by their reaction.

Melrose is going to be so annoyed when she finds out that Rhonda and Bash had a threeway with her boyfriend! In all seriousness, part of me feels really bad that this is the only way Bash feels he can act on his feelings since Florian died. But the other part of me feels so bad for Rhonda.

Poor Bobby.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 7
On 8/9/2019 at 9:25 PM, Lady Calypso said:

Of course Bash would go for a threesome where he'd be able to be with a guy.

So much for making him jealous! I guess the question is whether she's into it or not.

On 8/9/2019 at 9:25 PM, Lady Calypso said:

Poor Bobby. His venue gets set on fire, which sucks. I did like the Bobby/Debbie scenes. 

I'm surprised Debbie didn't think that getting the word out would invite trouble.

• Love 6

I wouldn't want to be gay in the 1980s. Not only do you run the constant risk of getting killed by the god damn loch ness monster, you also have to contend with homophobes who want to kill you.. and it isn't even that great being gay nowadays (apart from being fabulous, of course).

What year are we in? Are we finally approaching the years where the god damn loch ness monster can be treated and isn't deadly anymore? I wouldn't want anything to happen to Bash.

Speaking of whom, that scene was pretty hot. I'm glad he made a big step towards admitting who he really is. I hope he doesn't stay on this step for too long and figures it out completely. Also hope that him and Rhonda come to an amicable seperation. Maybe she can even continue being his beard. That's something you still need in the 80s, if you want to be a respectable business man. It comes with quite a few perks for her too, afterall.

Also I have to agree with the people in that casting. Ruth wasn't good. I always thought she was supposed to be a better actress than that. So what happened?

13 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Wow, Bash is becoming a bigger jerk with every episode. There was no need for him to yell at some poor guy for teaching Rhonda how to ride a bike.

I think that was just Bash's overprotective side coming out, since she fell. Which Rhonda misinterpreted as jelousy. I think it's quite cute, even if he overrected a bit.

4 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

I'm surprised Debbie didn't think that getting the word out would invite trouble.

I think if you've been in the show biz bubble, where being gay is just normal, even back then and it doesn't effect you in real life, since you yourself are straight, it's easy to forget the asshole violent homophobes out there. I'm surprised the drag queen (I'm bad with names) didn't bring it up though.

Edited by Miles
  • Love 7
37 minutes ago, Miles said:

What year are we in? Are we finally approaching the years where the god damn loch ness monster can be treated and isn't deadly anymore? I wouldn't want anything to happen to Bash.

Or Melrose. 

I *thought* I'd watched all of The Libertines and *that* scene was great. Rhonda goes in expecting it to be about her only to find out the two dudes are being perfunctory with her. I don't recall her being such a perfect sweet angel in Seasons 1 and 2 though. But, main thing, how did I watch this episode and miss Sam/Ruth? I was burning through the season and must have conked out at that part. So, note to all comments that seem to not realize - that's why.

I'm a little bit frustrated with the Bash/Gigolo stuff because in my head canon, Bash consummated his relationship with Florian but was incredibly compartmentalized. His enjoyment of the stuff with the gigolo didn't seem to surprise him, though. He was just conflicted that Rhonda "saw".

Edited by DianeDobbler
  • Love 3
51 minutes ago, Miles said:

I think if you've been in the show biz bubble, where being gay is just normal, even back then and it doesn't effect you in real life, since you yourself are straight, it's easy to forget the asshole violent homophobes out there. I'm surprised the drag queen (I'm bad with names) didn't bring it up though.

Edited 22 minutes ago by Miles

I suppose so. I guess you might not think something like that would happen in Vegas. I guess we weren't really clued in as to that magazine and its reach. I suppose that Tex found out about it. 

This is one of the problems with shows that go 5 million years between seasons. I totally forgot about Florian. I knew he was gay, but it never pinged me that him and Bash were involved. And Bash is dumb enough not to get tested. 

• Love 3
52 minutes ago, DoctorAtomic said:

This is one of the problems with shows that go 5 million years between seasons. I totally forgot about Florian. I knew he was gay, but it never pinged me that him and Bash were involved. And Bash is dumb enough not to get tested. 

They weren't involved. Bash was too closeted for that. I think Bash secretly loved him though.

Pretty sure that night in the hotel room with Rhonda and the Gigolo was his first time with a man.

Edit: With the challanger explosion we are in 1986 now. HIV tests were only even a thing beginning in late 85, I think. So before that, nobody could get tested.

Edit2: Btw. It's only ever been a year between seasons. So TV standard. It just feels longer when you binge the whole season in a few days.

Edited by Miles
  • Love 3

Sheila's big speech/moment was great.  They've really been letting Gayle Rankin shine this season, which is nice.

All of the stuff with Bobby's show was great (did not seen the appearance from Sandy coming!), but I should have known it was going to end on a sad, homophobic note.  Man, it really had to be scary to be gay back then.  Granted, things now are still pretty rough. 

Part of me does wonder if someone like Tex would actually be enlightened as he is, but I'm fine with it since I just want Debbie to have a good partner and, dammit, I refuse to hate Toby Huss!

Ruth finally confesses her feelings for Sam, only for it to all blow up after she finds out she didn't get the part.  I can understand her disappointment and even frustration, but I was actually on Sam's side for once.  Maybe he could have delivered the news better, but I can understand why he felt like she should know before they took the next step.  And, again, I can understand her frustration, she shouldn't have automatically expected to get the part.  It seem clear that Justine was looking for an actress who has more of an edge than what Ruth brought.

I knew Rhonda's plan was going to go off the rails, but I wasn't expecting the threesome between her, Bash, and Melanie's Gigolo!  At least both of them will hopefully be satisfied now, but I wonder how things will go for them now.

Season finale next!

• Love 4
On 8/12/2019 at 12:32 AM, thuganomics85 said:

Part of me does wonder if someone like Tex would actually be enlightened as he is, but I'm fine with it since I just want Debbie to have a good partner and, dammit, I refuse to hate Toby Huss!

I think the point was that since he knew the kid personally and basically was in his life growing up, that tempered his opinion. 

• Love 3

This episode reminded me why I don’t root for Ruth. I’m not sold on the idea that she would still be with Russell after the time jump. The distance has been too difficult all along. But anyway, they’re still together. Confessing her feelings to Sam was a bad decision all around. She betrayed Russell and took a huge emotional risk at a time when she knew she couldn’t handle the consequences. Not only that, but there was no way that conversation with Sam was going to resolve itself quickly enough for her to get back to Sheila. The whole thing was selfish and reckless. I agree with those who said Sam did the right thing by telling Ruth she didn’t get the part before they slept together. Sure he was blunt, but that’s the guy Ruth was signing up for. 

• Love 8

I actually thought Ruth's audition was quite good. There are two different ways that character could be played - as a clearly "edgy" teacher with a somewhat punk sensibility, or as a sweet, prim teacher who reveals a surprising punk past.

I thought it was reasonable for Ruth to shoot for the latter. Especially because Sam and Justine know how Ruth comes across, and thought she'd be a good fit for the role.

If I were her, and I showed up to the audition looking "punk" and acting edgy, I'd be worried that Sam would laugh at me.

• Useful 1
  • Love 9

I actually think that Sam did the right thing telling Ruth right away that she didn't get the part before they possibly hooked up. It would have been worse if he waited until later in my opinion. Ruth needs to end things with her boyfriend, he seems like a nice guy and doesn't deserve to be jerked around, even beyond Ruth's obvious feelings for Sam.

The whole show was so much fun, and then of course it all gets ruined by some assholes. Sheila really did kill it! I was pissed at Ruth on her behalf, her blowing her and the show off to hang out with Sam was a really crappy thing to do. Has Ruth learned nothing about friendship?! Poor Bobby. 

It was certainly interesting showing this hate crime happening in the same episode that Bash finally gets to be with a guy, even in the context of a three way with his wife and another guy. It certainly goes a long way to show why people like Bash would be terribly afraid to be  out and proud, or even  just peak outside the closet. 

I bet Rhonda wasn't expecting that when she tried her jealousy plan! She was into it at the time clearly, but will this lead to her wondering about the real reason Bash hasn't wanted to seep with her in awhile?

• Love 3

I agree with Sam:  Ruth is a nightmare.  I also agreed that he did the right thing telling her about the role before sleeping with her.  She would have felt twice as awful if he didn't.  She totally treated him unfairly.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say I don't think Ruth is really in love with him, more so she's in love with the idea of him.  She's bored and lonely and he gives her attention, listens to her ideas and she's his "favorite" among the other wrestlers.  Her "feelings" for him are more about her ego/self-esteem than they are about who he is as a person.

Loved the ball and would have wanted to be there, it looked like a blast!  Until the a-hole homophobes ruined it.

• Love 6
On 8/11/2019 at 7:23 PM, Miles said:

Also I have to agree with the people in that casting. Ruth wasn't good. I always thought she was supposed to be a better actress than that. So what happened?

I mean, Ruth had been auditioning for years, at the start of the show, and had never gotten anywhere. So I'm not altogether sure she was a great actress.

On 8/15/2019 at 9:28 AM, Blakeston said:

I thought it was reasonable for Ruth to shoot for the latter. Especially because Sam and Justine know how Ruth comes across, and thought she'd be a good fit for the role.

My understanding with that scene where Justine says she doesn't want Ruth for the role is that she never thought Ruth was the right fit - but had her come to audition because Sam was pretty much ready to hand the role to Ruth. I think Ruth assumed she was a shoe-in, despite her nervousness, and Sam may have thought so too.

But I do respect him for telling her before they took the next step forward in their relationship. Imagine how terrible it would have been as post-coital conversation.

• Love 6

The Ruth storyline was interesting since not only was Sam right, but he actually did the right thing. Because really Ruth, if you love him for who he is, it can't be whether or not you get the part. Although I wonder exactly what Justine's movie is about if there is only one part that Ruth would be appropriate for.

On 8/11/2019 at 10:23 PM, Miles said:

There was definitely some weird irony or something about Bash and Rhonda having sex with a male prostitute on the night of an AIDS fundraiser.

• Love 4
On 8/15/2019 at 9:59 PM, tennisgurl said:

I bet Rhonda wasn't expecting that when she tried her jealousy plan! She was into it at the time clearly, but will this lead to her wondering about the real reason Bash hasn't wanted to seep with her in awhile?

From the look on Rhonda's face it appeared that the lightbulb finally went on, but she decided to continue anyway. I hope that she can work out an amicable arrangement with Bash. I feel bad for them both.

Sam was absolutely right to have told Ruth the truth about the audition before they got physical. It would have been slimy of him to withhold that info. It's disappointing not to get something when it's dangled in front of you, but Ruth shouldn't have had a meltdown - in entertainment, now matter how well you may know the people hiring,  it's never a sure thing until you're working on set.

Loved Bobby's show (the Evita gown was priceless) - Debbie looked fabulous in her tux and top hat! I was cheering for Sheila and her awesome monologue! What a bummer the fun night had to end with a homophobic attack.

• Love 5

So Sam and Ruth declare their feelings then immediately have a massive fight and break up? Who could have predicted that!? They're terrible together. Two dysfunctional, neurotic people obsessed with their own failures and unable to communicate effectively.

It took a male prostitute-fulled threesome for Rhonda to finally figure out that Bash is gay? And for Bash to finally accept that about himself. I don't know what they'll do, but I can see them deciding to stay married and have discreet relationships of their own.

Yeah, it was surprising that a middle aged cowboy from Wyoming would be so comfortable around a lot of gay people and transvestites. I still like his calm, steady personality, but he's verging on being too good to be true.

Did Sheila find her true calling, as a one woman show? It's cool to see how much she's grown this season.

• Love 3
8 hours ago, Danny Franks said:

Yeah, it was surprising that a middle aged cowboy from Wyoming would be so comfortable around a lot of gay people and transvestites.

Why? Tex traveled a lot and came into contact with a lot of different people. Besides, open-minded people are everywhere, just as bigots are. No one region has a monopoly on either group.

• Love 2
On 8/11/2019 at 9:06 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

See, I actually interpreted that as Bash overcompensating for finding the guy attractive, hence the whole macho "back off my girl" routine.

On 8/14/2019 at 6:59 PM, Dots And Stripes said:

I agree with those who said Sam did the right thing by telling Ruth she didn’t get the part before they slept together. Sure he was blunt, but that’s the guy Ruth was signing up for. 

Ruth is so fucking annoying. The man you've had feelings for for a year is minutes from having hot, hot, emotionally charged sex with you and you blow it up in a tantrum because he won't convince his teen daughter to cast you in her shitty high school movie. Ruth belongs in high school because she's emotionally 15.

• Applause 1
  • Love 3

I still don't get the point of Bobby. He's not a good impressionist. I don't know why he's a character on this show. I don't know that he really helped Sheila. They should have put more of that onscreen if it was significant. I guess he's there for Bash. I don't know. 

Are they doing Sam and Ruth or not? I don't want it but I also don't need to be jerked around like this. Do it or don't. They could be spending time on other characters.

Tex is surprisingly unproblematic so far.

Again, Sheila is fine. But not some kind of acting genius.

WHOA. I figured something would go wrong with Rhonda's plan but I was not expecting that. I was surprised there was no resistance from Bash or Melrose's guy. Like, there was no bluster or pretense. Sometimes this show moves so slowly and sometimes it escalates super quickly.

I naturally thought Bobby would be the closing act. I wasn't expecting Geena Davis at all. Was she wearing a chest plate? It was distracting that her face, arms, torso, and legs were four different colors.

• Love 1

I agree with Sam:  Ruth is a nightmare.  I also agreed that he did the right thing telling her about the role before sleeping with her.  She would have felt twice as awful if he didn't.  She totally treated him unfairly.

I'm coming at it from a slightly different angle. They're both wrong. She's wrong for thinking she was going to get the part and wrapping that up in her feelings for Sam and for thinking that just because she got lost in the desert and then saw a psychic that her life is going to be turning around. Yes, he did the right thing by telling her she wouldn't get the part before going back to his place. But he did the wrong thing by making her drive out there to audition when he should have known she was wrong for the part. Even if he had blinders, Justine basically told him as much. And it was a little weird for him to ask her out for drinks. Right after the audition, Ruth could read into that. And Ruth is allowed to be upset. He kept trying to get her to still come over. Maybe she's in love with him. Maybe she isn't. But he just gave her some devastating news. She probably doesn't want to come over and have sex anymore. That doesn't make her a bad person. That doesn't invalidate whatever feelings for him she might have. But it's an obvious mood killer and Sam was wrong to try and coerce her into it and get frustrated when she wasn't going for it. 

Basically what @Danny Franks said. These are two troubled people who are mismatched and I have no idea why I'm supposed to be rooting for them.

• Love 2
(edited)

Can I just note that I hate the 'biddies?' They're assholes, unfunny, and bigoted, and I keep waiting for them to learn something, and they never do. They're just assholes.

On 8/11/2019 at 6:06 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I love "My Cup Runneth Over" (from the musical I Do! I Do!) so bonus points for that performance.

I hate that Ruth abandoned Sheila and their performance to see Sam. Fine, you're in love but can't you deal with that when you haven't already made a commitment to one of your friends? I'm glad Sheila got such an enthusiastic response from the crowd. It was clear that she was moved by their reaction.

Oh me too on "I Do! I Do!" Sigh. It's good to be a theatre nerd! 

I hated that too. Not even fricking phone call? The excuse better be good, because she KNEW how worried Sheila was, and she DOUBLE PROMISED to be there. Gah. Ruth is exactly that person who is your friend until they get a boyfriend and then act all surprised when your feelings are hurt that they disappeared for 3 months, etc.

On 8/11/2019 at 7:23 PM, Miles said:

I wouldn't want to be gay in the 1980s. Not only do you run the constant risk of getting killed by the god damn loch ness monster, you also have to contend with homophobes who want to kill you.. and it isn't even that great being gay nowadays (apart from being fabulous, of course).

Speaking of whom, that scene was pretty hot. I'm glad he made a big step towards admitting who he really is. I hope he doesn't stay on this step for too long and figures it out completely. Also hope that him and Rhonda come to an amicable seperation. Maybe she can even continue being his beard. That's something you still need in the 80s, if you want to be a respectable business man. It comes with quite a few perks for her too, afterall.

I can't handwave that easily. I grew up in the middle of it, and my aunt's first partner Joe (my "uncle" for a decade -- he was bi) died of AIDS. I was a kid, and it was terrible. Not just seeing him die, but people picketing the hospital and being assholes. Telling him and some of our closest friends they would burn in hell for being gay.

I'm glad they're addressing AIDS. It was part of the time. You can't imagine it unless you've seen it. It was almost as crazy as... now.

On 8/11/2019 at 11:32 PM, thuganomics85 said:

Sheila's big speech/moment was great.  They've really been letting Gayle Rankin shine this season, which is nice.

All of the stuff with Bobby's show was great (did not seen the appearance from Sandy coming!), but I should have known it was going to end on a sad, homophobic note.  Man, it really had to be scary to be gay back then.  Granted, things now are still pretty rough. 

Ruth finally confesses her feelings for Sam, only for it to all blow up after she finds out she didn't get the part.  I can understand her disappointment and even frustration, but I was actually on Sam's side for once.  Maybe he could have delivered the news better, but I can understand why he felt like she should know before they took the next step.  And, again, I can understand her frustration, she shouldn't have automatically expected to get the part.  It seem clear that Justine was looking for an actress who has more of an edge than what Ruth brought.

I loved Sheila's speech and performance, although I was so mad at Ruth I could barely see straight.

I love Tex and can buy that he's enlightened and kind. I grew up in backwoods states on and off (mostly Florida and Texas) and I can promise, there are still some really good non-homophobes there even if the cliche is that they're all bigoted cretins. (And agreed, I love me some Toby Huss! I loved Bos so much on "Halt and Catch Fire...")

I thought the Ruth/Sam scene was actually really good (and I hate the entire ship). But they gave in, there were some surprisingly big sparks there, and yet we also saw INSTANTLY why they are doomed as a couple. But I'll disagree -- I thought Ruth's scene was lovely and well-acted. And that everyone else thought so too.

On 8/15/2019 at 9:28 AM, Blakeston said:

I actually thought Ruth's audition was quite good. There are two different ways that character could be played - as a clearly "edgy" teacher with a somewhat punk sensibility, or as a sweet, prim teacher who reveals a surprising punk past.

If I were her, and I showed up to the audition looking "punk" and acting edgy, I'd be worried that Sam would laugh at me.

This was my take too, exactly.

On 8/16/2019 at 12:57 PM, Absurda said:

I'm going to go out on a limb and say I don't think Ruth is really in love with him, more so she's in love with the idea of him.  She's bored and lonely and he gives her attention, listens to her ideas and she's his "favorite" among the other wrestlers.  Her "feelings" for him are more about her ego/self-esteem than they are about who he is as a person.

Loved the ball and would have wanted to be there, it looked like a blast!  Until the a-hole homophobes ruined it.

I think this is very well put. Ruth doesn't know how she feels about anything or anyone. But she's so lonely and searching that she is willing to grab any port, any person, anything, that will make her feel better and more real.

On 8/24/2019 at 1:47 PM, Clanstarling said:

I mean, Ruth had been auditioning for years, at the start of the show, and had never gotten anywhere. So I'm not altogether sure she was a great actress.

As someone from the theatre/production world whose closest friends are actors, this isn't quite fair. Plenty of amazing actors never get a big break. Plenty of superb actors audition and audition and never get their moment. So... (just sayin')

On 8/30/2019 at 9:35 PM, Cheezwiz said:

From the look on Rhonda's face it appeared that the lightbulb finally went on, but she decided to continue anyway. I hope that she can work out an amicable arrangement with Bash. I feel bad for them both.

I agree -- I felt this was what we were shown, too. Rhonda definitely seemed to have realized some hard truths about himself during that scene (which was both touching and hot, kudos to all).

On 9/22/2019 at 7:14 AM, Danny Franks said:

So Sam and Ruth declare their feelings then immediately have a massive fight and break up? Who could have predicted that!? They're terrible together. Two dysfunctional, neurotic people obsessed with their own failures and unable to communicate effectively.

This is how I've felt about them all along. Then add in the cliches and icky age differences and, like, massive difference in drug use...

On 9/22/2019 at 3:29 PM, dubbel zout said:

Why? Tex traveled a lot and came into contact with a lot of different people. Besides, open-minded people are everywhere, just as bigots are. No one region has a monopoly on either group.

This. Yes, some states have certain, er, conservative majorities or stereotypes but I know firsthand that they are not all there is. There are plenty of liberal, kind, supportive people in those states like Tex.

On 11/26/2019 at 10:52 PM, aradia22 said:

I naturally thought Bobby would be the closing act. I wasn't expecting Geena Davis at all. Was she wearing a chest plate? It was distracting that her face, arms, torso, and legs were four different colors.

I thought she looked amazing -- like a beautiful woman her actual age, and with an amazing body she had worked hard to maintain. So I think speculation like that is perhaps a bit unfair and harsh. It certainly looked believable to me that it was truly her in that costume. (Note: Also, several aspects were different colors -- for instance, she had on stockings, so her legs were different shades, etc.)

On 11/26/2019 at 11:31 PM, aradia22 said:

I'm coming at it from a slightly different angle. They're both wrong. She's wrong for thinking she was going to get the part and wrapping that up in her feelings for Sam and for thinking that just because she got lost in the desert and then saw a psychic that her life is going to be turning around. Yes, he did the right thing by telling her she wouldn't get the part before going back to his place. But he did the wrong thing by making her drive out there to audition when he should have known she was wrong for the part. 

Basically what @Danny Franks said. These are two troubled people who are mismatched and I have no idea why I'm supposed to be rooting for them.

Really well said, and I agree with all of what you and Danny noted. She's looking for happiness in places that won't provide it because she's ignoring her actual self. From the beginning, Ruth has always focused on everyone else. Her brain is totally begging her at this point to stop, listen, and consider other options.

Edited by paramitch
clarification
  • Love 4
12 minutes ago, paramitch said:
On 8/24/2019 at 1:47 PM, Clanstarling said:

As someone from the theatre/production world whose closest friends are actors, this isn't quite fair. Plenty of amazing actors never get a big break. Plenty of superb actors audition and audition and never get their moment. So... (just sayin')

That's fair. 🙂

• Love 1

I thought she looked amazing -- like a beautiful woman her actual age, and with an amazing body she had worked hard to maintain. So I think speculation like that is perhaps a bit unfair and harsh. It certainly looked believable to me that it was truly her in that costume. (Note: Also, several aspects were different colors -- for instance, she had on stockings, so her legs were different shades, etc.)

Sorry, I was looking at it with a Drag Race lens where you call someone out if they haven't matched their face makeup, stockings/padding, and chest plate to their skin tone. Whatever was happening, I genuinely found it visually jarring. That's not on her. That's on the costume/makeup department.

I've always liked Ruth's acting from what we've seen of it, but I get the impression that the writers don't want us to think that she's particularly good.

For example, there was that time that Ruth and Sheila were rehearing a scene, and Ruth was intimidated by how intuitive Sheila was with the material. I think we were supposed to believe that Ruth realized that Sheila was a better actress than her, despite having virtually no experience.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1