Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E08: All the Borders

• Start Topic

Charley learns some devastating news about her mill; Violet calls in a favor from Sam Landry; Nova has an intense conversation with a past lover; Ralph Angel and Darla comfort one another; and Romero and Charley's relationship hits a road block.   

Action shot of PPAL:

demi lovato popcorn GIF

Original air date 2019.08.07

• LOL 2

Nova is the most obtuse asshole ever. Her whole family lives are literally crashing around them and she thinks now is the time for her to come with her bullshit?  Sorry Nova, you aren't on your book tour anymore. Having the smoke blown up your ass 24/7 isn't happening. She looks even more like an asshole for telling that story about her father without having her facts straight. You would think she would have asked Prosper if her dad ever told him anything about that night before she wrote her little tell-all. What a dumb fuck.

Oh, Charley, have your meltdown over your mill, but please don't lose it over Romero. You have better chemistry with literally the whole universe. Though I am a little annoyed that she seemed to think she could fuck with Big Energy and that they wouldn't come after her with everything  they've got. After what happened at Vi's, she should have hired extra security for the mill, and probably for herself and Micah everywhere they go. Arson and revealing the loss of the migrant workers in the hurricane in the press is small potatoes.  Going around in circles with the Landrys is like punching the air. If you want to take on the big dogs, expect to get bitten. I need that meltdown of hers to be short and sweet, and for her to come out of it swinging.

Edited by AgentRXS
  • Useful 1
  • Love 11

Nova can go away with her BS.  Prosper telling her what really happened said everything.  I wonder if it will sink in to her extremely dense skull that her interpretations of other events may also be wrong.  She should also be embarrassed that it took Micah to point out to her that her hot cop may have been involved in violence against PoC. was she so dickmatized she never asked until now?  

Angry Charley is a thing of beauty. 

Is RA's speech pattern getting more Shatneresque?  Four words. Pause. Four words. Pause. I'm getting worried he has a breathing problem and needs to stop for air.  

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 9
5 hours ago, PrincessPurrsALot said:

Angry Charley is a thing of beauty. 

When the Landry woman was talking about how she loved how sugar cane was pure and white and Charley yelled "AND THERE IT IS" I was like "GO IN CHARLEY." And when Nova said "we should think before we do anything rash" I was like "Girl WHAT?" so I'm glad Charley gave her the business about that.

• Love 12

Well, we suspected when Romero knew about those farmers he was gone. Charley made a huge mistake keeping it from him. She should've been upfront as soon as he mentioned them. 

I thought Nova was a journalist. How in the world did she not think to check with Prosper before running her mouth implying her father killed those men? She checked with Jimmy Dale to get his side but not Prosper, her father's best friend? She continues to be so messy. 

How in the world Charley didn't think to hire a security team around her mill after she publicly exposed a big company, her aunt's restaurant getting vandalized, ICE found out about the health clinic, she was attacked at her campaign office and her own son was receiving threats?

• Love 10
4 hours ago, Empress1 said:

And when Nova said "we should think before we do anything rash" I was like "Girl WHAT?" so I'm glad Charley gave her the business about that.

Same.The audacity of Nova to say that after what she did to her family. Maybe a better step would have been giving Charley a 10k check to help with costs of rebuilding. 

10 hours ago, PrincessPurrsALot said:

She should also be embarrassed that it took Micah to point out to her that her hot cop may have been involved in violence against PoC. was she so dickmatized she never asked until now?  

This is true but I also side-eyed Micah cause he didn't seem to care about what Nova said regarding his mother or anyone else in the family nor that she violated them in her self-serving way, instead only getting upset when it's about his own issues that Nova steps on. 

37 minutes ago, gesundheit said:

I don't believe for one second that Nova had never asked Calvin that question before now. His being a white cop is literally why she left him in the first place.

I could swear they talked about in that ep when one of the other cops spit on her. 

1 hour ago, Arcadiasw said:

I thought Nova was a journalist. How in the world did she not think to check with Prosper before running her mouth implying her father killed those men? She checked with Jimmy Dale to get his side but not Prosper, her father's best friend? She continues to be so messy. 

That was also my thought... she basically ran with her own opinions on things she wasn't directly involved in regarding her family and the only courtesy she gave to checking thoroughly on things is to interview the man who abused her aunt to make sure she got both sides. 

10 hours ago, AgentRXS said:

Oh, Charley, have your meltdown over your mill, but please don't lose it over Romero. You have better chemistry with literally the whole universe. Though I am a little annoyed that she seemed to think she could fuck with Big Energy and that they wouldn't come after her with everything  they've got. 

As much as I like Charley, she definitely got too cocky in thinking she could just manipulate Jacob and the situation due to his attraction to her & come out on top as she did last time. The mistakes that made folks underestimate her before, they weren't going to make them again. Charley is smart and she can be cunning but she grossly miscalculated her opponent this time around and got a hard dose of reality. That fight between Charley and Frances was riveting. 

I am fine with Romero and Charley being over. There was really nothing there AFAIC. She should have been honest with him, though, when things got more serious (relatively speaking) between them cause there was always a strong chance that new about the workers dying was going to come out. 

• Love 5

That meeting between Landry and Vi was intriguing; I wonder if something went down between them back in the day

I am amazed that Nova assumed that all would be forgiven once she returned home. She can miss me with the tears; I have no sympathy for her. None.

I'm glad Prosper set the story straight about Ernest; as writer, why didn't Nova think to ask him, since he was Ernest's best friend?

If there's anyone I felt bad for, it was Charly and Ralph Angel; everything they worked for to help the farmers is in jeopardy. I do agree that Charley may have overplayed her hand, but I hope she bounces back and continues be to a throne in side of the Landrys and Bordeauxs. 

I am also worried that Darla is headed for a relapse. She's struggling to keep it together.

Frances (?) really showed her true racist colors; I was totally here for Charley reading her for filth.

I guess I'm one of the few who like Romero for Charley. I think had Charley told him about those two men sooner, he would have been forgiving towards her.

• Love 10

Old Lady Boudreaux called Charley "gal" to her face. And a mulotta to her face. (Which I guess is grammatically correct but do people actually bother to designate the gender when they throw that slur?) Yep, I'm thinking it's about time for Frances Boudreaux to be canceled.

Welcome back, Nova! Not. Geez, Nova is so clueless she couldn't get a clue during clue mating season in a field full of horny clues if she smeared her body with clue musk and did the clue mating dance. #bringingbacktheoldies

When your baby mama ex meets your current girlfriend under surprise circumstances. RA handled it okay, I guess. No smirking or acting like he got caught doing something wrong.

Nova published a false story about her father daring to kill several White men which even if true should've been kept to herself for her own and her family's safety. Good job, Nova. How's all that fame and fortune working out for you?

Okay, Calvin. 😑

Darla had to figure RA would be with Deesha when she called late at night. Eh.

And the scales just fell from Romero's eyes. Oh well, Charley was lukewarm about him at best. But now her local political dreams are likely over too.

That meeting between Landry and Vi was intriguing; I wonder if something went down between them back in the day

Based on the big patrilineal secret Nova didn't want to discuss last week, I'm now wondering if perhaps Vi is related to the Boudreaux or Landry clans. I can't imagine how only the two of them would know though.

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
42 minutes ago, sereion said:

At this point, I need Oprah and Ava to get it together and do a prequel because way too much juicy shit went down back in the day for us just to be hearing about it through Vi and Prosper. I'm tired of these sad sack young'ns. I wanna see what really went down!

• LOL 7
  • Love 11
50 minutes ago, sereion said:

I am amazed that Nova assumed that all would be forgiven once she returned home. She can miss me with the tears; I have no sympathy for her. None.

You would think that folks ghosting her calls would have been a clue but Nova is incredibly dense & weird about family, it seems

• Love 8
12 minutes ago, Chick2Chic said:

You would think that folks ghosting her calls would have been a clue but Nova is incredibly dense & weird about family, it seems

Her whole "I've been upset with them before but I still treated them like family!" nonsense got a massive eyeroll out of me. Yes, people screw up and people disagree. But what she did wasn't a screw-up. It was fully premeditated, was years in the making, and deliberately cruel.

• Love 11
1 hour ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

Based on the big patrilineal secret Nova didn't want to discuss last week, I'm now wondering if perhaps Vi is related to the Boudreaux or Landry clans. I can't imagine how only the two of them would know though.

I can totally see this, likely Vi being a product of an affair, or she may have an secret child with one of the sons.

59 minutes ago, AgentRXS said:

At this point, I need Oprah and Ava to get it together and do a prequel because way too much juicy shit went down back in the day for us just to be hearing about it through Vi and Prosper

Yaasss, bring on the mess! I'm here for it!

52 minutes ago, Chick2Chic said:

Excatly; you would also think that she would stay away from the diner after Vi explicitly said that she wasn't welcome. Her self-righteousness has bounds.

So Micah and KeKe are going all the way; please just don't let her end up pregnant. 

Edited by sereion
  • Love 5
7 hours ago, gesundheit said:

Her whole "I've been upset with them before but I still treated them like family!" nonsense got a massive eyeroll out of me. Yes, people screw up and people disagree. But what she did wasn't a screw-up. It was fully premeditated, was years in the making, and deliberately cruel.

This! What does she not get? She's being treated like an enemy because that is exactly how she treated them. Who else but an enemy would sell your darkest secrets for financial gain?

Any premise of it being anything but a gossipy tell-all went out the window when we found out she didn't even meet with Prosper! She didn't want the facts--she wanted stories that would get people talking.

Nova sold her soul to gain the world. She got what she wanted.Miss me with the crocodile tears.

• Love 12
7 hours ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

Welcome back, Nova! Not. Geez, Nova is so clueless she couldn't get a clue during clue mating season in a field full of horny clues if she smeared her body with clue musk and did the clue mating dance. #bringingbacktheoldies

I LOL’d at this. 

Nova can definitely kick rocks with her sad tale of “losing her family”. Boo-Hoo, bye Felicia!

• Love 4
10 hours ago, Chick2Chic said:

This is true but I also side-eyed Micah cause he didn't seem to care about what Nova said regarding his mother or anyone else in the family nor that she violated them in her self-serving way, instead only getting upset when it's about his own issues that Nova steps on. 

I had the same thought.

6 hours ago, sereion said:

Excatly; you would also think that she would stay away from the diner after Vi explicitly said that she wasn't welcome.

I mean, Nova has been cast out. If an elder - and Vi is THE elder, in this family - tells you "Don't even come to my grave," you need to just find a new family and change your name. She seems not to understand that. Maybe she gets it now.

• Love 11
19 hours ago, AgentRXS said:

Oh, Charley, have your meltdown over your mill, but please don't lose it over Romero. You have better chemistry with literally the whole universe. Though I am a little annoyed that she seemed to think she could fuck with Big Energy and that they wouldn't come after her with everything  they've got. 

I don't believe the Landry or Boudreaux family did it (they have had all the time and opportunity in the world to do it before now).  To your and others' point, once it was clear that Old World Energy was involved with Vi's store vandalism, she should have been more cautious. Plus, Charley's been warned at least twice to step carefully by white men in that family, but she ignored the warnings because she misconstrued them as direct threats. 

19 hours ago, PrincessPurrsALot said:

Is RA's speech pattern getting more Shatneresque?  Four words. Pause. Four words. Pause. I'm getting worried he has a breathing problem and needs to stop for air.  

I don't know what's going on, but it's annoying. I know we're dealing with a reformed Ralph Angel and all, but I admit to thinking, "Deesha, surely there are better romantic prospects than an ex-con who has been coddled 90% of his life..." 

9 hours ago, gesundheit said:

I don't believe for one second that Nova had never asked Calvin that question before now. His being a white cop is literally why she left him in the first place.

9 hours ago, Chick2Chic said:

I could swear they talked about in that ep when one of the other cops spit on her. 

I thought they argued about it during the Too Sweet drama.

9 hours ago, Chick2Chic said:

Yep, same!

7 hours ago, sereion said:

I guess I'm one of the few who like Romero for Charley. I think had Charley told him about those two men sooner, he would have been forgiving towards her.

Charley never seemed to be that invested in him, and didn't seem all that broken up about him leaving.  Some of that was shell shock because of all that happened, but I feel like some of it was because she never really felt as strongly as he did.  Romero put Charley up on a pedestal, much like Remy.  And much like Remy, once Charley didn't meet his expectations, he dipped.  Yes, she should have told him earlier, but I don't think he would have been anymore forgiving of it.  Because in the community narrative, the "boss" was already a monster.   

Also, I'll be the mean one here and state that it really wasn't the time to confront Charley about the dead migrant workers.  Tragic as their deaths were, if I recall, it wasn't the hurricane itself that caused their deaths.  I believe Charley came to see reason fairly soon, and let the workers go in time.  They were killed by someone who tried to rob them...an addict, I think?  Something that could have happened at any time.  In any case, I don't understand what Romero expected Charley to say in that moment.  That conversation could have waited until the next day at minimum.  So good riddance to Romero. 

6 hours ago, AgentRXS said:

At this point, I need Oprah and Ava to get it together and do a prequel because way too much juicy shit went down back in the day for us just to be hearing about it through Vi and Prosper. I'm tired of these sad sack young'ns. I wanna see what really went down!

Ha! Frances did say the men in her family liked to "risk diluting the bloodline".... so it's entirely possible that something went down with Vi or someone she knew. Whoo, chile.  Not sure I want to watch Vi fuss more about such and such needs to be kept in the dark, though.  A significant part of that family's dysfunction is some of the stuff she claims doesn't need to be brought to light, so...eh.   

The showdown between Charley and Frances was brutal! I still think Charley was the one who came out of it more injured though.  Frances and the rest of that bigoted white family gonna be just fine, just like generations of other bigoted white people have prospered. Frustrating as all hell, but it is what it is.   

• Love 9

I really want a prequel episode that is set when the kids are little and we can focus on Earnest, younger Vi and Prosper, and the previous generation of farmers. It sounds like all the really juicy stuff went down back then!

Nova head is so far up her own ass no wonder she cant find a damn clue anywhere. Of course her family wont want her around especially when emotions are already high, does she seriously STILL not get that what she did was horrible?! She didn't just get into a fight with them, she sold all of their most private experiences for fame and money, not to mention she basically dedicated half of her book to telling everyone how much her family sucks and how much better she is than them. Yeah the rest of the family has done messed up things to each other and have had fights, but never like this, never something that was so premeditated and exploitative and cruel. 

I love that Vis prayer about Nova was basically "Lord please grow this girl a damn brain and have her somehow locate herself a clue."So she didn't talk to Prosper about what happened that night with her dad? Seriously?! She can have a nice chit chat with her aunts abusive husband but cant give Prosper, one of their families oldest and closest friends and probably the only person around who would be willing to take her phone calls, a phone call? She accused her father of murder based around her half memories of childhood that she clearly did not have all the information about so that she could have something sufficiently dramatic for that part of the story! If anything, the actual story of her father being drawn back from the brink by his family and trying to move behind his pain and war related trauma is way more inspiration than the one she actually told. She can take her crocodile tears and paddle away on them. She choose this book over her family and she has to live with  the consequences. 

Micah getting his judgmental on with Nova dating Calvin is hilarious considering that he was totally cool with all the other stuff Nova has done (trash talking his mom, outing  Blues paternity) but because this is HIS thing, now its a big deal. Yeah, sucks when your relative acts all judgy about your life choices, huh Nova? 

Charley being pissed is truly a sight to see! Frances is really one evil lady, actually calling Charlie a mulatto in that nasty tone right to her damn face! It did lead to Charlie giving a full clap back so that was pretty awesome at least. Poor Charley. She really did bite off more than she could chew going against big energy without much of a care or a plan, and now the Mill is all kinds of a mess. 

Well shit, what is this secret history between Vi Landry?! Did they have an affair? Is Vi the product of a Landry/Bordelon affair? Spill that tea VI!

• Love 6
On 8/8/2019 at 8:42 AM, Chick2Chic said:

I also side-eyed Micah cause he didn't seem to care about what Nova said regarding his mother or anyone else in the family nor that she violated them in her self-serving way, instead only getting upset when it's about his own issues that Nova steps on. 

That's why they get along so well -- they're both "Me first".

On 8/8/2019 at 10:54 AM, Joimiaroxeu said:

Geez, Nova is so clueless she couldn't get a clue during clue mating season in a field full of horny clues if she smeared her body with clue musk and did the clue mating dance. #bringingbacktheoldies

This sentence is a thing of beauty!

• Love 5