Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E06: Merger, She Wrote

(edited)

Liza and Charles attend a micro-dosing retreat, where Liza is surprised by new friends and familiar faces. Brownyn Madigan finds an unlikely voice for her audio books. Maggie gets hogtied.

Original air date: 7/24/19

Edited by kariyaki
Updated title/description
(edited)

I'd rather watch paint dry than Josh and Charles' bonding trip.

What are the odds of Josh's 'what keeps us apart' comment not being directed at Liza? They have fooled us with the promos before ...

Edited by Aulty
  • Love 2
(edited)

Let me get this straight. Charles sells his company to Quinn to be with Liza, then takes out a huge morgage on his town house to start a new company because he is still passionate about books and wants to be with Liza and then he sells that company again - for a dollar - to his old company because of Liza. How does he get the startup money for Mercury back? How big a share does he still have in Millenial, and how much does Quinn own?

Diana is still the MVP of the show, the rest was too contrived. And thats probably not the effect that micro dosing is supposed to have - Liza was full on trippin?

Btw: Happy 48th Birthday, Miriam Shor!

Edited by Aulty
  • LOL 1
  • Love 10

Oh dear, where to start? I really hate how this show plays drugs for laughs. It took me a long time to accept Lauren on my screen after she had roofied Liza. And this wasn't much better - it was just a vehicle to give Sutton Foster space to show off her Broadway skills and to shoehorn some contrived love-triangle nonsense into the episode.

As for Charles and his 'family' epiphany: dude, the dynamics you're entangled in resemble family ties but of the incestuous-toxic variety. And Maggie's sense of self-worth depends on her ability to give some creep a good time? *headdesk* 

The only reason to stick around is definitely Diana but I'm not sure that's enough for a whole new season.

• Love 8

So Charles mortgaged his house to create Mercury and has now SOLD Mercury for $1.  Who is going to pay that mortgage?  

To me, other than getting to see Sutton tap dance, the episode was a waste of time for me. 

This show is wearing thin on me, but happily Heidi Armbruster will be on it next week, according to the previews.

• Useful 2
  • Love 4
5 hours ago, MissLucas said:

And Maggie's sense of self-worth depends on her ability to give some creep a good time? *headdesk* 

That was ridiculous. Some old creeper thought she was worth wanking to, and that means her mojo is back? Seriously? (Also, seriously, 10 minutes to get a drink at the Cubbyhole is lightning fast.) Yet another failed comedy bit. The "she looks like she's wanking, too!" thing was cringe-worthy.

2 hours ago, KittenPokerCheater said:

This show is wearing thin on me, but happily Heidi Armbruster will be on it next week, according to the previews.

Oh yay! That's good news, I always hated how they dropped her "former life" people from the show. She's always fun.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, MissLucas said:

Nope, season 7 was announced yesterday.

aaaargh…. I like Sutton Foster, and the characters of Josh and Diana, but I'm not sure that's enough to take me through a whole other season... I was hoping things would get wrapped up this year.

• Love 3
35 minutes ago, morakot said:
4 hours ago, MissLucas said:

Nope, season 7 was announced yesterday.

aaaargh…. I like Sutton Foster, and the characters of Josh and Diana, but I'm not sure that's enough to take me through a whole other season... I was hoping things would get wrapped up this year.

TV Land probably should have stuck to their "5-seasons-and-out" rule for original programming where Younger is concerned.

The writers are running out of ideas, storylines are becoming increasingly nonsensical and we're getting larger amounts of SATC-esq contrived slapstick.

Season 7, where Liza will either wind up with Josh or alone, is going to be tough to take.

Very risky opinion here - Debi Mazar is such an incandescently hot, ruben-esq MILF I can't really blame the old codger for wanking.  Don't condone it, but I understand, lol.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2

Although the drug thing was overblown, I absolutely loved when she hallucinated that Josh came to the door and laid her down on the bed, when it was really Charles, and then when their voices switched bodies at the table.  I actually found that to be original.

Not sure why no one besides Maggie was able to come up with the idea to have Charles sell Mercury to Millenial.  And considering that previously, Kelsey had responded to an idea by saying that the board would not go for it, she sure had no problem agreeing to buy the company without getting their approval!  And if all it took was for Charles to be a peer of Liza to avoid all the impropriety, why wasn't that done before he took out a $750K second mortgage?

Kelsey better watch out with Zane...he has shown himself to be a snake in the grass on more than one occasion.

• Love 3

The high sex bothered me -- what's the situation with mutual consent if both (or all) participants are impaired? What happens when you give consent to one person and discover they are just your mind's view of someone else?

• Love 2

I think this is the first episode of the show that I completely hated. None of the drug stuff was funny, I'm tired of Josh and the contrivances to get him in Liza's orbit, and the Mercury storyline makes absolutely no sense. Just garbage all the way around. I didn't even like seeing Sutton Foster dance because I was so annoyed about how the show got there. 

• Love 6

Once again Josh is inserted in to an episode storyline where he didn't belong. One (or all) of the writer's must really love this guy to keep floundering around trying to find a purpose for this character. 

• Love 4
17 minutes ago, bichonblitz said:

Once again Josh is inserted in to an episode storyline where he didn't belong. One (or all) of the writer's must really love this guy to keep floundering around trying to find a purpose for this character. 

I agree it was ridiculous he was there and I thought at least we’d see more of Josh and Charles unexpectedly bonding beyond just seeing them laugh at Liza but nope.

However. As much as I find Charles attractive and on paper he SHOULD be the better match I’m finding him boring and really getting tired of him throwing how much he gave up for Liza in her face all the time. I’d start to feel trapped in a relationship like that because yowza what kind of guilt if she decides he’s not right for her? Would she feel obligated to stay?

i was team Charles but I’ve switched to team Josh. It could be because this 43 has recently developed a ridiculous crush on a 29 yo .....so maybe I’m projecting.  I would love to meet an age appropriate non guilt tripping Charles though. This show. Crazy.

• Love 6
32 minutes ago, MissL said:

i was team Charles but I’ve switched to team Josh. 

I was Team Charles, and just cannot with Josh (too puppy dog), so I am team Liza.  How about a SATC-like show with Liza as she moves to another city?  Maybe bring a slightly toned-down Lauren, but I'm fine if she leaves Maggie and Kelsey behind, as well as Diana (mainly because the writers still make her out be a one-note caricature for the most part).

4 hours ago, Panda Bear said:

.... and the Mercury storyline makes absolutely no sense. 

OK, so does Empirical still exist?  And if so, who is working for it to sign new authors, since the only people who go after any business are Liza and Kelsey, and they are clearly Millenial.  And since it's clear what Millenial's demographic is, what on earth is Mercury's?  If Empirical doesn't still exist, then it weakens Charles's family shtick a little, since his grandfather certainly had nothing to do with Millenial, which would be all that is left of the company now.

4 hours ago, Panda Bear said:

I didn't even like seeing Sutton Foster dance because I was so annoyed about how the show got there. 

OK, I had never heard of Sutton Foster before this show, and I still hadn't looked up any of her past performances.  So I was very disappointed in her dancing on the episode.  There was nothing wrong with it from a technical perspective, but the beauty, grace, and elegance that should have popped off the screen (like with Ginger Rogers, for example), simply was not there...I kept seeing a person doing sequential dance steps, rather than lose myself in someone doing a dance routine.  So I went to YouTube to see if I could find any clips of her, and there was a 2011 performance of the song Anything Goes.  Her dancing was more of a fast-paced, light-hearted, active-movement-centric nature, and it seemed to suit her much better.  I can't say I was overly impressed by her singing, but her acting in the song was very good.

2 hours ago, LuvMyShows said:

And since it's clear what Millenial's demographic is, what on earth is Mercury's? 

It seems that Mercury's demographic is anything Millennial readers want, brought to them by a couple of men.

• LOL 1
  • Love 6

What was the point of Charles getting out of Empirical only to merge back with Millennium? What a colossal waste of time and for very little plot.

The perv masturbating across the street was gross and not funny at all. It's not about you, it's about them and the power they have over you.

• Love 3
On 7/26/2019 at 9:52 AM, bichonblitz said:

I think the purpose is that Josh is endgame.  It's the only reason that makes sense to me since his storylines are so forced at this point. 

• Love 1
(edited)

Gosh, it's only the first half of the season, but it already feels extremely tired. Plots are getting more and more ridiculous and yet nothing moves forward. And I'm truly horrified with the prospect of another season, because it means they will drag that sh... nonsense at least for another dozen of episodes. 

I just can't believe I was so absorbed by this trash couple of years ago I even couldn't wait for another episode.       

Edited by skotnikov
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, skotnikov said:

I just can't believe I was so absorbed by this trash couple of years ago I even couldn't wait for another episode.       

Me too, although in our defense I think it was a better show a couple of years ago.  What gets me is how the cast all acts so enthusiastic and excited in the clips of them reacting to the new season at table reads.  Maybe they're all microdosing and don't notice how ridiculous the show has gotten?  Or maybe the writers are microdosing and that's why they're coming up with such dreck.  Whatever.  I agree with everyone here on almost everything.  The drug thing was stupid and offensive, and so was the wanking thing.  Went over like a lead balloon.  I don't even care who she ends up with anymore, although I think they're keeping Josh around just to make us wonder, because otherwise they got a big fat nuthin'.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

I saw Sutton Foster in Thoroughly Modern Millie many years ago, so I was excited to see her dance again but that scene was a let down. Instead of just letting her dance, they had to make it about the stupid love triangle. The choreography was also disappointing because she is a pretty good tapper and capable of much more difficulty. The way they shot the entire dance scene was clunky too.  This should have been the highlight of the episode and instead it was just meh.

So now the writers have resorted to having Josh just show up because he randomly knows the microdosing dude. Okay then. They really can't think of anything to do with that character. And would Josh the artiste really consider franchising his tattoo shop?

• Love 1