Type keyword(s) to search

What We Do In the Media

• Start Topic

FX Networks Bringing "What We Do in the Shadows" and "Archer" to New York Comic Con

Sunday, October 7, 2018 / 12 p.m. - 1 p.m. in the Hammerstein Ballroom

Based on the classic cult film of the same name, FX presents an exclusive screening of its new vampire comedy What We Do in the Shadows, followed by a spirited discussion with Executive Producers Jemaine Clement, Taika Waititi and Paul Simms. Set in Staten Island, What We Do in the Shadows follows three vampires who have been roommates for hundreds and hundreds of years. Following the screening, fans will have a chance to hear directly from the producers about the unending ennui of everyday immortal life that mere humans take for granted. The series will debut on FX in Spring 2019.

• Love 1

The Most Anticipated TV of 2019

“What We Do in the Shadows”
FX
Jemaine Clement and Taika Waititi adapted their 2014 mockumentary into a half-hour small-screen series. Featuring a trio of vampires who have been around (and have been friends and roommates) for hundreds of years, the show balances comedic moments of them still struggling to adapt to life with the darker reality of their blood-thirsty urges. The film has a cult following, but Clement and Waititi are not set to star in the series version, so some of the intrigue comes from the unknown aspects.

• Love 4

We have an premiere date! There's more info about the season over at Deadline too.

FX has set a March premiere date and unveiled the official trailer for What We Do In the Shadows, its new vampire comedy series. Based on the feature film of the same from Jemaine Clement and Taika Waititi, What We Do in the Shadows will premiere Wednesday, March 27 at 10 PM on FX.

Created by Clement, the 10-episode series is a documentary-style look into the daily (or rather, nightly) lives of four vampires who’ve “lived” together for hundreds of years. In Staten Island. It stars Matt Berry, Kayvan Novak, Natasia Demetriou, Harvey Guillén and Mark Proksch, who guest starred in the pilot before being promoted to series regular.

• Love 2

I am SO looking forward to this, albeit with a little trepidation that the movie’s charm may not translate to an ongoing series.  I do like the idea of an energy vampire sucking all the life force out of one’s cubicle (as if it had a lot to begin with).

The movie has been broadcast frequently over the past two weeks, and I’ve only watched it a couple of times . . . 

• Love 4

Woohoo! A whole forum on the main page and Emmy nominations:

Outstanding Sound Editing For A Comedy Or Drama Series (Half-Hour) And
Animation

What We Do In The Shadows • Werewolf Feud • FX Networks • FX Product ions
Steffan Falesitch, Supervising Sound Editor
David Barbee, Sound Effects Editor
Angelina Faulkner, Dialogue Editor
Steve Griffen, Music Editor
Sam Lewis, Foley Editor
John Guentner, Foley Editor
Paul Stevenson, Foley Artist
Ellen Heuer, Foley Artist

Outstanding Cinematography For A Single-Camera Series (Half-Hour)

What We Do In The Shadows • Manhattan Night Club • FX Networks • FX Productions
D.J. Stipsen, Direct or of Photography

Not exactly what I think of when it comes to this show but still. Emmy.

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, Vermicious Knid said:

Woohoo! A whole forum on the main page and Emmy nominations:

Outstanding Sound Editing For A Comedy Or Drama Series (Half-Hour) And
Animation

What We Do In The Shadows • Werewolf Feud • FX Networks • FX Product ions
Steffan Falesitch, Supervising Sound Editor
David Barbee, Sound Effects Editor
Angelina Faulkner, Dialogue Editor
Steve Griffen, Music Editor
Sam Lewis, Foley Editor
John Guentner, Foley Editor
Paul Stevenson, Foley Artist
Ellen Heuer, Foley Artist

Outstanding Cinematography For A Single-Camera Series (Half-Hour)

What We Do In The Shadows • Manhattan Night Club • FX Networks • FX Productions
D.J. Stipsen, Direct or of Photography

Not exactly what I think of when it comes to this show but still. Emmy.

I would've been great with series and actor nominations. Would've made me feel like less of a putz for not being into "quality" TV. Maybe the Emmys have a blind spot towards FX? I mean, Archer won a few awards, but I don't think It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia has eer been nominated for anything.

I bought season one on DVD. Not available on blu-ray.  No special features either but the shows are in different order than they ran. It was a great way to spend new year's eve though.

Edited by libgirl2
  • Useful 2
  • Love 2
On 1/1/2020 at 5:48 PM, libgirl2 said:

I bought season one on DVD. No special features either but the shows are in different order than they ran.

This makes sense.  It was pretty obvious that Citizenship should have been earlier in the season, based on the Jenna arc.  

Interview with Mark Proksch. Colin's energy-sucking droning is mostly ad-libbed! Also some background.

As the season goes on, you’ll get a couple more little tidbits about his life — if they kept him in the edit. Like he was a music manager in the ’70s for rock bands. And there are moments where he talks about being in Hollywood in the ’30s and ’40s and ’50s, and possibly having some sort of role in the industry there. But overall, I would say it’s a blank slate.

• Love 1

I'm not sure if this is the right place for this but I highly recommend you check out FX's YouTube page.  There's a lot of great shorts on there.  Behind the scenes and even deleted scenes that they call Shadow Shorts.  It really makes you believe episodes could easily be 45 minutes long. 

• Useful 4
  • Love 2

FX Networks will be hosting panels with Archer and What We Do in the Shadows cast members during Comic-Con@Home.

What We Do in the Shadows (FX) – Saturday, July 25 at 5 p.m. PT
Named “TV’s best comedy” by The Hollywood Reporter, What We Do in the Shadows is a documentary-style look into the lives of four vampires and their loyal familiar who, in a surprising twist, is a descendant of famed vampire slayer Van Helsing. Join us in raising a glass of regular human alcohol beer to the sharp-toothed cast – Matt Berry, Natasia Demetriou, Kayvan Novak, Mark Proksch, Harvey Guillén – and the creative team for a spirited discussion hosted by special guest, Haley Joel Osment.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

In addition to the panel for WWDITS, there's another one you might be interested in:

TV Guide's Fan Favorites
Featuring Hale Appleman (The Magicians), Chris Chalk (Perry Mason), Robbie Amell (Upload), Kennedy McMann (Nancy Drew), Jeri Ryan (Star Trek: Picard), Richard Harmon (The 100), Lindsey Morgan (The 100), Harvey Guillen (What We Do in the Shadows), and Alex Newell (Zoey’s Extraordinary Playlist). 

Thanks to my habit of Playing with my Remote (I call it "What's on that I'd like better than this"), I discovered late-night screenings of S1's Nick the Manhattan King & Laszlo & Animal Control & Gregor.  Anyone else know if this is a regular FXX thing, or just a burp?

On 9/11/2020 at 3:16 AM, voiceover said:

Thanks to my habit of Playing with my Remote (I call it "What's on that I'd like better than this"), I discovered late-night screenings of S1's Nick the Manhattan King & Laszlo & Animal Control & Gregor.  Anyone else know if this is a regular FXX thing, or just a burp?

It looks like a burp but Hulu is running both seasons

Before Outstanding Comedy was announced, they had some familiar faces express their love of each of the nominees. I cued up that bit to WWDITS. Needless to say, one of the fans should have been considered a given.

#VivaGuillermo

• Love 2

Nominated for 5 Critics Choice Awards:

• BEST COMEDY SERIES
  • BEST ACTOR IN A COMEDY SERIES - Matt Berry
  • BEST ACTRESS IN A COMEDY SERIES - Natasia Demetriou
  • BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR IN A COMEDY SERIES - Harvey Guillén/Mark Proksch

Matt Berry is also the odds-on favorite to get a Golden Globe nod.

Taika Watiti has been very busy, he will have a series on HBO Max, directing and co-writing a Star Wars movie, the Reservation Dog series for FX, and MCU's Thor: Love and Thunder.

• Love 2