Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E03: Chapter 22

Not sure I follow.  He was trying to warn his mother while Farouk was entering his brain?

But his father comes home and repels them?

If he succeeded in preventing Farouk from entering his infant self, then what?  Farouk would never have been a factor in the world?

Otherwise, not sure if this episode advances the plot much.  It's his backstory, maybe he was traveling back to try to prevent Farouk from haunting him.

Yet he's free of Farouk now and he's behaving erratically.  He may be more of a threat to the world than Farouk ever was.

Maybe they just wanted to do a period piece, with B&W segments.  And then overlay all these special effects as the episode proceeded.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, scrb said:

Not sure I follow.  He was trying to warn his mother while Farouk was entering his brain?

But his father comes home and repels them?

If he succeeded in preventing Farouk from entering his infant self, then what?  Farouk would never have been a factor in the world?

Otherwise, not sure if this episode advances the plot much.  It's his backstory, maybe he was traveling back to try to prevent Farouk from haunting him.

Yet he's free of Farouk now and he's behaving erratically.  He may be more of a threat to the world than Farouk ever was.

Maybe they just wanted to do a period piece, with B&W segments.  And then overlay all these special effects as the episode proceeded.

Too bad he couldn't have warned his father not to seek out Farouk in the first place.  But that probably would have made Charles even more curious about him.

Was everything in this episode just the whole time they are sitting there in the mental hospital mind flirting with each other? If so, how does that get you a physical baby? Or did they actually leave?

• Love 1
3 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

Was everything in this episode just the whole time they are sitting there in the mental hospital mind flirting with each other?

Good God, I hope not!  This show is hard enough to follow as it is.  There were points where I thought that maybe the relationship was happening in a mindscape (what hospital serves you a meal like it's a restaurant?) but at the end I decided to take it all at face value.

(edited)
On 7/9/2019 at 9:31 AM, AnimeMania said:

Was everything in this episode just the whole time they are sitting there in the mental hospital mind flirting with each other? If so, how does that get you a physical baby? Or did they actually leave?

My interpretation is that when Xavier decided he wanted to leave and build a life with Gabrielle, the doctors in charge of their respective cases "just coincidentally" decided that both were well enough to be released. And more or less arranged a goodbye parade for them with the rest of the staff and all the other patients/inmates. What's not clear to me is if it was deliberate (a very dark take on his ethics regarding telepathy) or done unconsciously and he was too besotted to notice how unlikely everything was.

Edited by Bruinsfan
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Bruinsfan said:

he was too besotted to notice how unlikely everything was.

I find it hard to believe he could have been that besotted not to realize what was happening. He knew what he was doing. His ethics are dark and that's why he knows there must be rules. He just hasn't made any yet.

• Love 1

Holy crap, I completely forgot that David's father was the future Prof. X!  Did they mention the Xavier name in this episode?  I really need to pay more attention but the trippy sixties imagery is so distracting.

• Love 1
On 7/9/2019 at 2:41 AM, scrb said:

For some reason, I found this episode mind numbingly boring.  A little surprising since we got to see Professor X, but you're right, it didn't really advance the story so maybe that's why I found it dull.  Ultimately, nothing happened.

We did find out that Switch can travel back further than originally suggested, but it appears that may not happen again.

• Love 1

I found it frustrating that we don't really find out why Gabrielle has that damned angry boy doll or why, for the love of all the things, she keeps it in the bed with David.  WTH, Gabrielle??  Is it supposed to be symbolic?

• Love 1

I loved this episode. We finally get to see exactly what happened with Farouk and his parents. How sad that David sort of caused his own history to happen.

Farouk called David his beautiful boy - that relationship is strange I think Farouk really does see David as his child when before I thought he was just messing with him.

Cerebro!

I loved Charles and Gabrielle's relationship. I also really liked the way they showed Charles' telepathy - I sort of wish they would do that in the films but instead they just have him stare/hold his fingers to his head with no effect at all. Good actor for Charles too although it's annoying they didn't once call him Charles Xavier.

It's sad that Charles gave David his powers while Gabrielle gave him her mental illness - I'm guessing that was why they showed her handing the 'angry little boy' doll to him as a symbol of the illness she was giving him.

Sorry, not sorry to say this but I have found some of the best episodes to be ones without the supporting cast - this one and last year's alternate Davids episode.

On 7/9/2019 at 3:31 PM, AnimeMania said:

I'm pretty sure they did actually leave. Like you said David was a real, physical baby born from these two and Charles does have the power to get them out of the hospital the way he did, so I'd say they did leave.

• Love 6

This was a really interesting episode.  It's interesting how Charles treats Gabrielle.  It kind of seems like he liked the idea of her more than who she really was.  He used telepathy to get her out of the asylum despite her having a pretty good reason to be there (which we see goes untreated). But then at home we barely see them together.  

• Love 2

I thought this was a really interesting episode, and I loved seeing the Legion-verse version of Charles and Gabrielle, for good and for bad, and even him building Cerebro! This show has always taken place in a part of the possible X-Verse that is pretty separate from the "mainstream" X-Men, but I do enjoy when they remind us that this IS taking place in some kind of X-Verse. I think they used Charles powers really well, its kind of how I imagine them being when he isn't fully "used" to them yet and is getting closer to it, especially in the mental institute. 

See Davis, this is why you dont mess with time traveling! It always ends with you being the ghost that ruined your life in the first place or becoming your own grandfather or something. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 3