Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E01: The Night Flynn Sent the Cops on the Ice

• Start Topic

In early ‘90s Boston, racism is endemic and crime is widespread. Jackie Rohr, a renowned FBI agent whose methods are not exactly by the book, does not mind the status quo. But Decourcy Ward, the new Assistant District Attorney in town, wants to uproot the corrupt system. The two form an unlikely, and obligatory, alliance to take down a gang of armored truck robbers from Charlestown.

Wow, unrepentant racists left and right.

I thought maybe Rohr was crooked but was surprised that he and Ward will team up.

I wouldn't believe that Jill Hennessy would be playing the wife of a corrupt racist like Rohr.  Sounds like they will clash and separate later.

OK so Charlestown is the same place depicted in The Town, where every other guy is a bank robber?  I thought that was Southey.

Probably also the place Ray and Mickey Donovan came from.  These Irish all can fight, drink, fuck around, etc.

😋

All the promos made it seem like it was going to be about the Bacon and Hodge characters but looks like the Jonathan Tucker's Frankie Ryan will figure prominently, at least in the first season.

Or are they going to have Rohr and Ward chase the same guys for multiple seasons?

What a twist to have Jimmy Ryan be Ward's snitch.  So does he really need the money or did he just egg on Frankie to do another armored car heist so he can snitch on his brother?

Seemed like Frankie was content to lay low after the heist, especially since they executed the 3 guards, which wasn't  their plan.  But he's under pressure from his family to help Jimmy out so he plans another one.

Or did the first job not yield enough money?  He and his wife talk about only $1500.  Can't believe the wife is in on it.

It's believable that Jimmy Ryan wants to snitch AND also do a score, because I think Whitey Bulger was committing crimes while in witness protection?

• Love 1

Whoa, a lot going on, and a lot of dialog and fast talking in Boston-speak, and I was kind of confused as to what was happening, and who was who.  Maybe I should watch it again with the closed captioning.  I'll try a few more episodes, but I really dislike Bacon's character, there are no redeeming qualities there.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, atlantaloves said:

I was very disappointed, but will give it one more episode to see if it gets any better. I love Kevin Bacon when he is evil, so there you have it. Barf. Those are some nasty ass people.

I bailed after about 10 minutes.  Those 10 minutes were way too full of exposition.  The dialogue was so clunky. Hasn't anyone learned anything from The Wire?  Characters can talk like real people talk, and eventually we'll figure it out.

(edited)

So much Boston talk in one episode, and so many characters and subplots to keep track of so far! So many shitty people in one show, but I found it to be pretty compelling with a lot of good actors in it, so I will keep watching to see where it goes. Interesting that its loosely based on a real story. 

I didnt see the screw up little brother being a CI coming, although I clearly should have. Little asshole cant even go three seconds without getting into it with someone. I like that the wife is in on it, its more interesting than her being innocent and unaware of what her husband is up to. 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 6
(edited)

Watched it twice. Saw nothing to keep me watching. And those horrendous 'Bosstin' accents.

I'll give it just a few more tries.

Edited by preeya
  • Love 1
On 6/16/2019 at 11:57 AM, DakotaLavender said:

I like it although it seems generic... as if it has been done before in a film. But I will watch it. 

What would it be like?

A DA and a somewhat shady, racist cop try to take down bank robbers.

IIRC, The Town were the bankrollers vs. the feds, FBI, right?

I guess they specifically made it a point that Ward was going to try to claw this case from the feds.  I wonder if the Boston PD would devote the resources.

On 6/16/2019 at 10:54 AM, preeya said:

Could have been called "F-Bomb City On A Hill"

It's Boston. 

I liked it, esp the shocker at the end.  It sure has an A list producing line up. Fontana, Levinson, Damon & Affleck.  I agree with the reviewer from Fresh Air/New Yorker, the women are going to be the really interesting characters. 

Since Affleck and Damon are involved I wondered if this was a chance to do a much grittier long form version of The Town. 

Nice to see Kevin Dunn. 

• Love 5
5 minutes ago, roughing it said:

Pilots are always clunky.  I guess I'll try a couple more episodes and see where it goes.

Agree.  It's no The Wire, which I heard it compared to. The first episode of The Wire was as tight as any in the five seasons. 

And it is playing a little on cliches. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, roughing it said:

I've not seen The Wire.  Maybe I should make it a summer watch?

YES.   It is without doubt one of the best shows that ever aired on television.   Are you familiar with it at all? 

• Love 3
(edited)
9 hours ago, roughing it said:

I've not seen The Wire.  Maybe I should make it a summer watch?

Good idea, you won't be disappointed.

Edited by preeya
  • Love 2
22 hours ago, teddysmom said:

YES.   It is without doubt one of the best shows that ever aired on television.   Are you familiar with it at all? 

No, not familiar.  I think I've heard the title is all.  I searched for it last night and found it's on HBO, which I don't get.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, roughing it said:

No, not familiar.  I think I've heard the title is all.  I searched for it last night and found it's on HBO, which I don't get.

It's streaming on Amazon Prime, so you don't need HBO.  It's regarded by many as the best TV series of all time.  High praise, but deserving.  The problem is that it takes awhile to get into it.  I wasn't hooked right away, probably because I had to pay attention.  I bought the DVD's and have watched it all the way through several times.  I get something new out of it every time, watching the relationships evolve.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, AuntiePam said:

It's streaming on Amazon Prime, so you don't need HBO.  It's regarded by many as the best TV series of all time.  High praise, but deserving.  The problem is that it takes awhile to get into it.  I wasn't hooked right away, probably because I had to pay attention.  I bought the DVD's and have watched it all the way through several times.  I get something new out of it every time, watching the relationships evolve.

Yes. Good critique.

• Love 2

Only started watching this on demand recently. What I couldn’t get over is why the brother, who seems smart enough in covering his criminal activities, could think it was a good idea to do a heist with his mess of a brother. The kid has all the traits of a snitch. It just seemed like such a glaring risk.

Edited by Chas411

It's his brother.  One of the themes of this show is family and loved ones, and the crap you do for them, and the crap you let them do to you.  You'll see a lot more of that (hopefully not too big of a spoiler there).  I mean, you're right; Frankie's way too smart to not realize that Jimmy's an idiot and will probably get into actual serious trouble one day, and maybe even take him down with him.  But it's his brother, what'cha gonna do?  He's gonna try to take care of him and do what he can to keep him out of trouble, but there's only so much he can do.

No don’t get me wrong - I know it’s his brother. I get that. But it still doesn’t make sense to me that anyone would work with him let alone trust him. He’s forever shaking and rubbing his nose. 

Jimmy becomes the standout character for me as the series so I know he’s not a total dud. But those first two episodes I just can’t make sense of why his brother would let him work with the crew knowing he’s liable to run his mouth the minute there’s something in it for him.