Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E06: Into the Black

• Start Topic

Adrian is way over his head, Deran is too savvy to not connect the dots, that’s why he took out that dude at end of show he’s protecting Adrian cuz he loves him....Renn’s kid is def Craig’s, and I think he knows it but wants her to admit it....I think Frankie is angling her way into the family becuz she heard all the stories about her from Billy, BUT I think it’s cuz she is undercover and trying to get knowledge of a murder(what a twist that would be).......Angela is there to get back at Smurf somehow prob cuz of the way she treated her daughter Julia, and maybe Julia asked her to watch over J, when she got out of rehab and jail!!!  And yeah I hate the flashbacks too, unless they tie into the episode but they don’t, so annoying...J needs to dust that little Spanish dude Tupi, what a putt he is, and he needs to but a bullet in back of Mia’s head, she’s a puta!!!  Oh and Smurf won’t die from Cancer, unless they don’t plan on bringing back a season 5, and I don’t trust that Angela at all!!!!!’

• Love 2

I am just a sucker for cute guys.  I got misty when Deran told Adrian that he loves him, right after killing and burying the guy who said that Adrian is most likely a police informant.  Fingers crossed that he loves him enough to not kill him by the end of the season.

• Love 8

Crest? That kid will get stupid toothpaste jokes all his life! Hard pass.

"Sharp" deductive skills by Craig finding out it's a boy!

Craig is being responsible telling Renn to stop selling before becoming a mother!? Who is this man?

I know how Smurf felt! Some people just can't shut the f*ck up! And I had a feeling her minivan was going to get her wrath!

If Angela was a true friend, she would have tried to talk Pope out of fighting.

Hippies had more money in their house than a bank? 

I wonder if Pope and Colin like the same kind of cereal.

Now that Deran said "I love you", Adrian is gone next episode! I almost thought there was going to be an "I know it was you Fredo" moment in the shower.

Was this the first time Deran killed someone?

Now Pope has a good reason to thoroughly clean Deran's bar.

Frankie wants to impress/get in with Smurf. Such a wierd way going about it!

• Love 5

Deran killing that guy to cover up Adrian talking to the cops is a pretty big romantic gesture coming from a member of the Cody Clan. Deran telling Adrian he loved him was really sweet, even as clearly shell shocked as he was, but no way does all of this end well. 

• Love 6
(edited)

Deran definitely knows Adrian is the one who is talking and just killed a man to protect him.   This is not going to end well for either of them.  That shower scene though was beautiful if also very sad. It works because these men really do love each other.

i actually liked the young Smurf scenes this episode.  It went a long way to show that Smurf always did what she wanted but she also learned what she needed from the people around her.  The scene in the clinic was also funny.  The talkative woman was lucky that Smurf didn’t kill her and everyone in the place.

So of course Frankie was using Craig as a backdoor to get to Smurf but I am not sure it would have worked anyway.  Or maybe it would have.  Smurf might have told the boys to not use outside help but she had her share of outside people so she might have used a “professional” like Frankie.

I am really starting to ship Pope and Angela.  I really hope he doesn’t kill her.

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 3

Why doesn't Adrian admit to Deran that the cops are holding him because he got caught with Drugs? This way, Deran would know why he has been acting strangely. Knowing Deran's feeling for him, may find a way out of this mess .

Did Smurf punctured those tires of that woman who was yakking her to death in the ward? If so, how did Smurf know that was her car?

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Chaos Theory said:

Deran definitely knows Adrian is the one who is talking and just killed a man to protect him.   This is not going to end well for either of them.  That shows scene though was her beautiful if also very sad. It works because these men really do love each other.

i actually liked the young Smurf scenes this episode.  It went a long way to show that Smurf always did what she wanted but she also learned what she needed from the people around her.  The scene in the clinic was also funny.  The talkative woman was lucky that Smurf didn’t kill her and everyone in the place.

Teah of course Frankie was using Craig as a backdoor to get to Smurf but I am not sure it would have worked anyway.  Or maybe it would have.  Smurf might have told the boys to not use outside help but she had her share of outside people so she might have used a “professional” like Frankie.

I am really starting to ship Pope and Angela.  I really hope he doesn’t kill her.

Agree with everything except the Angela bit.  I don't trust her.  Pope, you in danger, boy!

• Love 5
(edited)
1 hour ago, Novel8 said:

Did Smurf punctured those tires of that woman who was yakking her to death in the ward? If so, how did Smurf know that was her car?

Yes, that was that woman's car. She mentioned the make/model to Smurf.

Edited by arachne
  • Love 3

I was certain Deran was going to kill Adrian at the very end. Like snap his neck or something. Surprised it didn't happen.

Or maybe Pope will find out and kill Adrian, setting up a dynamic similar to the movie this show is based on: 

Spoiler

In the movie, Pope kills Nikki, which is why J ends up killing Pope at the end.

One thing I like about having Angela around is we hear bits and pieces about Julia. I wish we knew more about her. It would be so much better if the flashbacks covered that era, when she was still part of the family, and shows how she eventually ended up leaving and distancing herself from the rest of them.

No Mia this episode and I didn't miss her, at all. Fewer flashbacks too, which I appreciated, although they still annoy the crap out of me.

Honestly, I can think of no other reason to have them than the possibility the show is planning to kill Smurf off at the end of the season. And maybe they are planning for this season to be the last.

Was this the first time Deran killed someone?

Apparently. While he was digging a hole to bury the body Pope made a comment about this being new to him and asking him how he felt.

• Love 6
  • Apparently. While he was digging a hole to bury the body Pope made a comment about this being new to him and asking him how he felt.>>>

It also brought memories back when he dug the grave of Lena's mother who Pope killed.

• Love 1

Adrian is the worst liar. How did Deran not see through him early on? Poor fool must really be in love. He's still going to have to kill Adrian though. I imagine he'd rather do it himself than leave it up to one of the other Codys.

What kind of watch could possibly be worth $1M? Does it have diamonds from Neptune on it or something?

Why did Smurf have to flatten that woman's tires? She was just trying to be friendly in an unpleasant situation. Guess Smurf is still in the Anger stage of her grief.

• Love 3

https://luxe.digital/style/most-expensive-rolex/#rolex-eric-clapton-albino-daytona

Okay, some of those watches are antiques I guess, and some of them have value because of who previously owned them. But Eric Clapton's watch? Unless he was wearing it when his kid fell off the balcony, I don't see why it would be any more special than one worn by, say, Jimi Hendrix, Prince, or any number of other elite guitarists.

And why is anyone running around wearing a million dollar watch anyway? I think you're asking to get mugged, assuming the muggers have a discerning eye or just have dumb luck like the Codys did. Plus, apparently such watches are hard to fence. Sheesh.

• Love 3
11 hours ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

Why did Smurf have to flatten that woman's tires?

Because she's a First Class Bitch? 

I wish I could feel sorry for her because of the cancer, but I don't.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

Sheesh.

I agree with you completely.  If I hadn't looked that up, I wouldn't believe it either.  People spend their money in ridiculous ways, and that's why there are Codys in this world. 

• Love 1
(edited)
14 hours ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

Adrian is the worst liar. How did Deran not see through him early on? Poor fool must really be in love. He's still going to have to kill Adrian though. I imagine he'd rather do it himself than leave it up to one of the other Codys.

What kind of watch could possibly be worth $1M? Does it have diamonds from Neptune on it or something?

Why did Smurf have to flatten that woman's tires? She was just trying to be friendly in an unpleasant situation. Guess Smurf is still in the Anger stage of her grief.

I am glad someone else thought the million dollar watch questionable.  And I did not realize they stole the motor cycle.  The rich guy could certainly have reported the thefts to the cops, so I wonder where Craig managed to fence both so quickly.  Seems a violation of what Smurf does.  And what happened to his two security guys?

Edited by lazylou
typo
  • Love 1

I found this episode disappointing, except for the scenes related to Deran, Adrian, and the guy who ended up dead on the floor of the bar.  

Maybe the flashbacks are intended to somehow explain how Smurf became Smurf, and   who  Pope and Julia's father was, but I, like most everyone else, find them a distraction from the plot threads that really interest me.

About the only good thing I can say about this episode is that, while I expected this season to see J vs Smurf, instead it seems the boys are coming together while, because of the cancer, one imagines a change in the attitude of the boys towards Smurf when they learn she is ill. Even J seems to be reassessing his plans once he finds out.  We see Pope helping and J confiding in Deran; Craig stepping up and trying to make things right with the bros after the disastrous job with Frankie, and Pope being tormented by not being able to tell his brothers about Smurf's cancer.  Mia seems to have disappeared, at least temporarily from J's life, a good thing; Deran expresses his love for Deran even when he realizes Deran is betraying the family, and Craig seems interested in being a father to Renn's baby.  Even in the flashback, Colin and Janine appear to genuinely care about one another, and not just be using each other.  Meanwhile, we have Pope for the first time this season NOT being self destructive, probably because of Angela's influence (while J and Smurf clearly want her gone,) and the knowledge that Deran may have to take out Adrian himself rather than see J, Smurf, or Pope do it. So we do have some pretty complex relationships in play here.  But all this seems a little the stuff of soap operas...not exactly the action drama we have come to expect.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, lazylou said:

and the knowledge that Deran may have to take out Adrian himself rather than see J, Smurf, or Pope do it. So we do have some pretty complex relationships in play here.  But all this seems a little the stuff of soap operas...not exactly the action drama we have come to expect.

I guess that Deran, if any other the brothers suspects of just what J is capable of like Smurf knows.

9 hours ago, lazylou said:

I am glad someone else thought the million dollar watch questionable.  And I did not realize they stole the motor cycle.  The rich guy could certainly have reported the thefts to the cops, so I wonder where Craig managed to fence both so quickly.  Seems a violation of what Smurf does.  And what happened to his two security guys?

but why would he? He's involved in crime, he doesn't want the cops anywhere near him.

• Love 1
18 hours ago, Raja said:

I guess that Deran, if any other the brothers suspects of just what J is capable of like Smurf knows.

Interesting. What gives you that impression? Deran does seem more intuitive than Pope and Craig. Does Deran know about Morgan? Or does Deran know about anything else menacing that Josh has done? 

21 hours ago, lazylou said:

I found this episode disappointing, except for the scenes related to Deran, Adrian, and the guy who ended up dead on the floor of the bar.  

Maybe the flashbacks are intended to somehow explain how Smurf became Smurf, and   who  Pope and Julia's father was, but I, like most everyone else, find them a distraction from the plot threads that really interest me.

I agree. Not much happened this episode except for several gratuitous (and nice) bum shots. I tell you, these actors are not modest. But does every actor get a full body waxing? There hasn't been one hairy butt or hairy back in any of the shots.

Yeah, the flashbacks remain minimally interesting. I will give the actress her props for her portrayal of Smurf. She subtly yet effectively recreates Ellen Barkin's mannerisms and speech pattern. And I'm seeing Smurf emerge as a criminal mastermind who commands the men around her, no matter how big or strong. The woman is fearless.  

But they need to keep trimming these scenes way down. And they don't need to be in every episode. 

• Love 1

Deran does seem more intuitive than Pope and Craig. Does Deran know about Morgan? Or does Deran know about anything else menacing that Josh has done? 

As far as I know, none of the brothers even knew who Morgan was. We only ever saw her with Smurf or J. And I'm sure they could care less what happened to her. Smurf is the only one who suspects J orchestrated her death.

Deran did help J get rid of that old lady with dementia though. 

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

As far as I know, none of the brothers even knew who Morgan was. We only ever saw her with Smurf or J. And I'm sure they could care less what happened to her. Smurf is the only one who suspects J orchestrated her death.

Deran did help J get rid of that old lady with dementia though. 

So why did Smurf make J her right hand man, even though she's never really trusted him? Is it because when he was living with her full time, he was the only Cody boy who didn't hate her (or so she thought)? Is it because she already knew she was getting rid of Baz, her former right hand man, and J was young and impressionable? Is it because he's the only one smart enough to understand her empire? Besides maybe Deran, but he pretty openly hates her, so...

And will someone remind me about that lady with dementia and about Deran's friend Ox who died in Mexico? I remember these story lines vaguely but forget the details. 

So why did Smurf make J her right hand man, even though she's never really trusted him?

Her options are Deran (hates her), Pope (crazy) or Craig (dumb). 

And will someone remind me about that lady with dementia and about Deran's friend Ox who died in Mexico? I remember these story lines vaguely but forget the details. 

The lady with dementia rented from one of their buildings. When Smurf was in jail last season, J went around reminding everyone if anyone asked what they were supposed to say they paid in rent. Only the old lady kept telling the truth rather than the fake rent so J went to Deran and asked what he should do and then Deran helped him gather her up and dump her at a bus stop with no ID. It was fairly horrifying. Of all the things the Cody boys have done, even shooting people and chopping that one lady's finger off? I think that was the most disturbing and unforgivable. 

Ox and 2 others helped helped Deran pull off a car heist at the beginning of Season 3. Then they showed up at his bar after one of them got shot and Deran sent them down to that vet in Mexico that sewed Craig up back in Season 1. Only Ox didn't make it so they apparently buried him somewhere south of the border.

I can't remember exactly why Deran soured on these dudes after the car heist, I think they did something stupid/reckless and he decided he didn't want to do any further jobs with them. 

• Love 3