Type keyword(s) to search

House Hunters - General Discussion

• Start Topic

5 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

With the Indianapolis episode, I'm guessing a chair lift will be needed.    

Tonight's 1 hour episode are definitely both older.    

My online guide for the 1-hour episode shows that the first airing of this show is 11/21/22 - today.

Yes, the combined episode tonight is a 'new' episode, but it's two older ones cobbled together.     The Huntsville episode was just on the other day on the rerun marathons they have on HGTV, and the other episode is very familiar too.  It's a cheap way to get an hour 'new' episode,  but without having to film anything.    I really liked the Huntsville house hunters, they compromised like adults.   

• Applause 1
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

Yes, the combined episode tonight is a 'new' episode, but it's two older ones cobbled together.     The Huntsville episode was just on the other day on the rerun marathons they have on HGTV, and the other episode is very familiar too.  It's a cheap way to get an hour 'new' episode,  but without having to film anything.    I really liked the Huntsville house hunters, they compromised like adults.   

Anything to make my DVR episode pick it up since it's labelled new. Sorry HGTV. I'll be deleting.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

The combined reruns to make it new for the DVR are on Monday nights, and an hour long, so it's easier to delete. 

Columbus, Ohio.    As cameron said, the tent dresses are hideous.  Apparently, the Little House on the Prairie collection is doing well in the stores. 

Since when does the boyfriend who doesn't have income, get a say in what the buyer wants? In my decision making, only the person on the mortgage

Franklinton, close to Columbus is her dream area.    However, it's also called "The Bottoms", because of the flooding issue, they have a floodwall to contain the water.   

House 1-Tudor from 1940, 3 bed 1.5 bath, $310k,  Westgate is the neighborhood.   I would replace the 3 season room louvered windows with regular windows, double paned with screens.   Louvered windows are way too easy to get into. I wouldn't have the water feature with a dog out there.  smelly basement, with the open 1/2 bath next to the washer/dryer. for a 2 story with the basement it's 3 stories.  No ensuite. 

House 2-in Franklinton, almost 50% more expensive than House #1 in Westgate, $449,900 with some work to be done by the builder, New build, and with a tax abatement (no tax payment for 15 years) 1819 sq ft.,  LVP, great kitchen, huge pantry, big living/dining/kitchen.   Will be fenced and sodded by builder, and 2 car garage.   unfinished basementI don't like the wet looking seam between the bottom of the basement slab and the cinder block.   Main has a lovely ensuite, and huge walk in closet.   The basement is plumbed for a bathroom. 3 bed, 3 bath. Basement doesn't have eggress windows (at least that I noticed) so finishing the basement would cost a lot more than the $30 to $40k realtor estimated. 

House 3-$399k, remodeled 1914 craftsman, 993 sq ft.   remodeled 2 bed 2 bath, Sadly, the interior trim is all painted white.  no garage. fully fenced back yard. kitchen is beautiful, and one bath is off of the kitchen, I wouldn't buy this as a first house, it will be outgrown quickly.    Basement is recently waterproofed (interior paint) second bath is on the second floor, 2nd bedroom is small.  

She buys #2 , I would have bought #2. 

Those tent dresses are 'in' again.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 1
On 11/21/2022 at 7:40 PM, chessiegal said:

Anything to make my DVR episode pick it up since it's labelled new. Sorry HGTV. I'll be deleting.

I thought the 3 houses they were shown were among the nicest I've ever seen in that price range anywhere in the Country. 

Thought it was fitting that these 2 military retirees were getting their dream home after so many years of honorably serving their Country.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
15 hours ago, cameron said:

Both the buyer and her mother were wearing those hideous tent like dresses.

What was up with that? The home buyer wasn't heavy but that dress made her look enormous. Those eyeglasses weren't doing her any favors, either.  I loved the first house, that cute Tudor, but I guess it wasn't in her desired area.  The Columbus market seems pretty affordable.

• Love 2

New, "Mansion VIbes in Louisiana"

(People do have a double king bed

Single mom finding a home, she wants a mansion, but her friend is trying to talk her into being more conservative.  Personally, I'm with the friend and her conservative idea.   Shawanda owns a tax business, and two of her eight kids still live with her. Shante is the friend. Shawanda's son was murdered in a senseless crime.    She is thinking 4 bed, 3 bath, Slidell, her max is $400k, Shante wants her to stay at $250k.  Shawanda wants a main bedroom big enough to have two king beds. 

She's another house hunter who wants to show everyone she's made it.   She wants a pool, columns, a showplace, 4000 sq ft.   

House 1-a Bright blue house,  in Slidell $399,900, 4 bed, 3 bath, with a pool. 2899 sq ft, interior colors are orange, purple, bright blue, red, furnace/heat pump is where the pantry should be.   back yard is all pool and deck.   It's right on the lake, boat lift, dock.   Great outside deck stairs will make it easy for the alligators to drop in for breakfast.   Realtor points out flood insurance will be up to $6 to 7,000 a year, plus regular insurance.  everything needs paint, but she likes it primanry bedroom is huge, ensuite is really big.  Shawanda's shirt matches the walls in a few rooms.  

House 2-Slidell, cheaper, not a mansion, $316k, 4 bed, 3 baths, family room, HOA $650 a year, gym, and community pool, 2208 sq ft, bonus room would be perfect for an office. kitchen is nice with an island, and a big pantry.  great walk in closet, 2 guest bedrooms upstairs, back yard is nice, but on a pond.   

House 3-Slidell, a mansion with columns, $309k,4 bed,3  bath, 2422 sq ft., kitchen is nice, lots of granite, family room is nice, with a fireplace, back yard is huge, guest rooms are decent sizes, guest bath is nice (in spite of what Shawanda says, I like it), primary bedroon isn't big enough, because it won't hold 2 king beds, and a sofa. she doesn't like the main bedroom or ensuite.   

She buys #2,   Her mirrored stand alone fireplace is hideous.    Lots of amenities with a small HOA fee. 

I would have bought #2 for the price, the location, and the fact it's a new build, and has a community pool.  #3 had small bedrooms, and it needed too much work, #1 was too much extra for the insurance.

Here's information about a double size king size bed: 

What is a double king size bed?

A double king size bed is the widest oversized mattress at 152 inches wide and 80 inches long. That's the equivalent of four twin XL beds pushed together. At 12 feet wide, this bed is absolutely massive and will likely fill the length of most bedrooms, if not more.  (It's the largest king size, called an Alaskan King Size). 

New Chicago, burbs vs. vintage in the city. However, husband is a cheapskate and doesn't want to pay the price for vintage in the city. They want 2500 sq ft, she wants burbs for the prices and lifestyle.   Budget, his $800k , hers $1 million or higher . He's fine with a fixer, she's not fine with a fixer. 

House 1-$799,900, single family, in Skokie, 5 bed 3 bath, 3700 sq ft,  kitchen is huge and lovely, just remodeled, family room is great.   4 bedrooms upstairs, they both need an office, with an daylight basement, family room has a full bathroom, sub-basement is almost all underground so good for his office, back yard isn't huge, detached 2 car garage. Primary bedroom is big, with big closets, and updated bathroom.   guest bathroom is nice,  I don't like that the back slider to the back yard is down a couple of steps from ground level, bad for heavy rain, or melting snow. 

House 2-Chicago, near their current house, in Old Irving Park, $675k, Victorian look, next to the highway, on a double lot, 4 bed 2 bath, 2000 sq ft, beautiful floors, she thinks kitchen is small, a full bath off the kitchen area, deck and back yard are great, 2 car garage with an in-law space or office above it, Primary suite is decent size, with a bonus room outside it, full bath with a sloped ceiling, and a shared bath for all of the bedrooms, Realtor suggests extending the kitchen out, putting a master suite on top of it, for $250k.   basement is unfinished. 

House 3-Chicago in their current neighborhood $1.15 million, over 4,100 sq ft, 6 bed 5 bath, kitchen is big and totally redone, deck i lovely, back yard isn't big, totally updated inside, but outside is the vintage look husband wants, ensuite bedroom on first floor is big, but not the main, primary bedroom is nice with a spectacular ensuite, 2 more bedrooms upstairs with 2 guest baths. basement has 2 bedrooms and is fully finished.   

They buy #3, and paid $1.26 million . I would have bought #3.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 1
  • Love 4
6 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

New, "Mansion VIbes in Louisiana"

(People do have a double king bed

Single mom finding a home, she wants a mansion, but her friend is trying to talk her into being more conservative.  Personally, I'm with the friend and her conservative idea.   Shawanda owns a tax business, and two of her eight kids still live with her. Shante is the friend. Shawanda's son was murdered in a senseless crime.    She is thinking 4 bed, 3 bath, Slidell, her max is $400k, Shante wants her to stay at $250k.  Shawanda wants a main bedroom big enough to have two king beds. 

She's another house hunter who wants to show everyone she's made it.   She wants a pool, columns, a showplace, 4000 sq ft.   

House 1-a Bright blue house,  in Slidell $399,900, 4 bed, 3 bath, with a pool. 2899 sq ft, interior colors are orange, purple, bright blue, red, furnace/heat pump is where the pantry should be.   back yard is all pool and deck.   It's right on the lake, boat lift, dock.   Great outside deck stairs will make it easy for the alligators to drop in for breakfast.   Realtor points out flood insurance will be up to $6 to 7,000 a year, plus regular insurance.  everything needs paint, but she likes it primanry bedroom is huge, ensuite is really big.  Shawanda's shirt matches the walls in a few rooms.  

House 2-Slidell, cheaper, not a mansion, $316k, 4 bed, 3 baths, family room, HOA $650 a year, gym, and community pool, 2208 sq ft, bonus room would be perfect for an office. kitchen is nice with an island, and a big pantry.  great walk in closet, 2 guest bedrooms upstairs, back yard is nice, but on a pond.   

House 3-Slidell, a mansion with columns, $309k,4 bed,3  bath, 2422 sq ft., kitchen is nice, lots of granite, family room is nice, with a fireplace, back yard is huge, guest rooms are decent sizes, guest bath is nice (in spite of what Shawanda says, I like it), primary bedroon isn't big enough, because it won't hold 2 king beds, and a sofa. she doesn't like the main bedroom or ensuite.   

She buys #2,   Her mirrored stand alone fireplace is hideous.    Lots of amenities with the HOA fee. 

I would have bought #2 for the price, the location, and the fact it's a new build, and has a community pool.  #3 had small bedrooms, and it needed too much work, #1 was too much extra for the insurance.

New Chicago, burbs vs. vintage in the city. However, husband is a cheapskate and doesn't want to pay the price for vintage in the city. They want 2500 sq ft, she wants burbs for the prices and lifestyle.   Budget, his $800k , hers $1 million or higher . He's fine with a fixer, she's not fine with a fixer. 

House 1-$799,900, single family, in Skokie, 5 bed 3 bath, 3700 sq ft,  kitchen is huge and lovely, just remodeled, family room is great.   4 bedrooms upstairs, they both need an office, with an daylight basement, family room has a full bathroom, sub-basement is almost all underground so good for his office, back yard isn't huge, detached 2 car garage. Primary bedroom is big, with big closets, and updated bathroom.   guest bathroom is nice,  I don't like that the back slider to the back yard is down a couple of steps from ground level, bad for heavy rain, or melting snow. 

House 2-Chicago, near their current house, in Old Irving Park, $675k, Victorian look, next to the highway, on a double lot, 4 bed 2 bath, 2000 sq ft, beautiful floors, she thinks kitchen is small, a full bath off the kitchen area, deck and back yard are great, 2 car garage with an in-law space or office above it, Primary suite is decent size, with a bonus room outside it, full bath with a sloped ceiling, and a shared bath for all of the bedrooms, Realtor suggests extending the kitchen out, putting a master suite on top of it, for $250k.   basement is unfinished. 

House 3-Chicago in their current neighborhood $1.15 million, over 4,100 sq ft, 6 bed 5 bath, kitchen is big and totally redone, deck i lovely, back yard isn't big, totally updated inside, but outside is the vintage look husband wants, ensuite bedroom on first floor is big, but not the main, primary bedroom is nice with a spectacular ensuite, 2 more bedrooms upstairs with 2 guest baths. basement has 2 bedrooms and is fully finished.   

They buy #3, and paid $1.26 million . I would have bought #3.  

Someone should tell that Slidell house buyer that just because she has made it, that doesn't equate to having good taste in decorating or dressing.

• Love 5
13 hours ago, ECM1231 said:

What was up with that? The home buyer wasn't heavy but that dress made her look enormous. Those eyeglasses weren't doing her any favors, either.  I loved the first house, that cute Tudor, but I guess it wasn't in her desired area.  The Columbus market seems pretty affordable.

I absolutely loved that Tudor and typically it isn't my favorite style but that one seemed to be the perfect mix of charm and actual livability and that back yard was heaven - and I am not a green thumb person but I would definitely get the name of those owner's gardener. 🤣

I also don't understand why people with relatively small dogs feel at their dog needs a huge yard to run in. My experience with dogs in a backyard is that they generally don't run around on their own but you have to actively throw them a ball as otherwise they just generally sniff around or lay in the sun and are more interested in hanging out where the people are. Of course the occasional dash if they spot a squirrel in one of the trees and they need to bark at it. 

• Love 6
14 hours ago, amarante said:

I absolutely loved that Tudor and typically it isn't my favorite style but that one seemed to be the perfect mix of charm and actual livability and that back yard was heaven - and I am not a green thumb person but I would definitely get the name of those owner's gardener. 🤣

I also don't understand why people with relatively small dogs feel at their dog needs a huge yard to run in. My experience with dogs in a backyard is that they generally don't run around on their own but you have to actively throw them a ball as otherwise they just generally sniff around or lay in the sun and are more interested in hanging out where the people are. Of course the occasional dash if they spot a squirrel in one of the trees and they need to bark at it. 

I have an 80 lb. English Lab (chocolate) and all she does in our yard is sniff around and then plop down to sunbathe or hang out. The only time she runs at all is to chase woodland creatures...but they always outrun her so she gives up and plops down again. 

• Like 1
  • Love 6

Two king-size beds = the mansion of beds! La. homebuyer seemed really happy in the smart choice home and her pal is happy to have her nearby. Mazel Tov, ladies. Not sure she needed any fireplace in La., but that might be me.

Chicago couple protested too much about house #3, so surprise! that's the one. The only one. Old Irving Park vs. Skokie? LOL. Meantime, hope they got a good inspection done. Nicely remodeled but not at all sure about the electrical and plumbing on that vintage-on-the-outside and the way-inside place.

Edited by buttersister
  • Like 1
  • Love 3
5 hours ago, cameron said:

Thought that fireplace was hideous.

Really, really hideous. 

Re: the Chicago couple: I wonder how big a hit their finances took. “Ultimately I think we’ll be fine” is a little dicey.

• Like 3
  • Love 3

San Diego. That first house was really cute. And I liked that she liked all the character. As a single woman, I'm not sure why she needs so much space. The condo seemed like a good deal. Would she have wanted to replace both bathrooms if dad hadn't said anything? House with garage was OK. Is she running a guest house? Always worrying about guest baths. Can't believe she had to pay that much more. And spending to add that loft?! She must be a good financial planner.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Maybe I'm just an inveterate loner, but I don't understand all these people so worried about their guest space(s). Unless you've got people coming to stay every weekend or for months at a time, why are you putting so much consideration into the 5-10% of your life, not the rest of it? 

So nice to see a Craftsman that actually was one, and with that beautiful word work still there and not painted!

• Like 4
  • Love 4
11 hours ago, Grizzly said:

San Diego. That first house was really cute. And I liked that she liked all the character. As a single woman, I'm not sure why she needs so much space. The condo seemed like a good deal. Would she have wanted to replace both bathrooms if dad hadn't said anything? House with garage was OK. Is she running a guest house? Always worrying about guest baths. Can't believe she had to pay that much more. And spending to add that loft?! She must be a good financial planner.

What is with her driving style - one partial hand on the steering wheel and the other resting on the glove compartment.  Someone should also show her  father how to cook scrambled eggs and not massacred them into little bits.  And he was the one pushing to have a gas range.  Sure hasn't helped his cooking ability.

Edited by cameron
  • Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4

New, "Surfer's Paradise in San Diego".   Surfer seaches for her first home in San Diego (she moved from North Carolina, apparently a long time ago), she brings Tim, her contractor father along for advice.  She's an engineer and does personal financial consulting on the side.   Dad lives in L.A. Dad will help if she needs projects done. 

Wish List-at the beach, single family if possible, wants a fireplace,  3 bed, 2 bath, under $ , within 30 minutes of ocean. Budget is $750k.  She wants room for an herb garden.

House 1-Normal Heights, 20 minutes to the beach, 1926 carftsman, 760 sq ft, $799,000, 2 bed 1 bath.  cute house with a great porch, nice built-ins in the living room and dining room, vintage hardwoods and tile, has a combination lock on the fridge, stacked full size washer/dryer next to the fridge, nice storage shed, back yard is all concrete, mostly covered patio, main bedroom has tiny closet, bathis vintage with nice tile. woodburning fireplace, second bedroom is nice.    SHe doesn't like the square footage, and closets.

House 2-Condo, $650k , Carlsbad 15 minutes to ocean, HOA 336 monthly, second floor, 2 bed 2 bath, nice floors, firsplace, kitchen is nice, dining room is a coupld of steps down, but decent size, balcony, fully remodeled, she could get stove changed to gas, decent main bedroom, with a good closet, second bath is the smaller ensuite and only a shower,  The HOA fee really changes the budget.  No storage for the surfboards.  

House 3-Single family, in Paradise Hills, 30 min, to the beach, San Diego, $689,500, 3 bed, 1.5 bath, with a 2 car garage,  sq ft, living room/dining room is nice, kitchen is well done with lots of cabinets, main bedroom is big, closet is tiny, en suite is half bath (they could put a shower or tub pushed into the nook for the washer / dryer., smallish back/side yard room for herbs, etc. and she could move the washer dryer hookups to the garage.  main bath is guest bath with a tub/shower combo.   

She picks #2. ( I would have picked #3 for the garage storage, and put washer dryer in the garage.)  $650k offered $740k, paid $750k,  Dad is helping her put in the loft over the kitchen with the door at the top of the stairs. 

• Like 3
3 hours ago, cameron said:

Someone should also show her  father how to cook scrambled eggs and not massacred them into little bits.  

🤣Oh my word! I was screaming at the TV. Worst looking scrambled eggs ever!

I loved that Craftsman and fell asleep, so which one did she choose?

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3

She choose the 2 story condo, and her father was helping her break through the wall at the top of the stairs, and turn the area over the kitchen into a loft.   The list price was $650k, she offered $740k, and settled at $750k.     Plus, the HOA fee was pretty high, $336 a month.    I hope they realized that to make that a legal room to include in the square footage that they have to extend the heat/cooling in there. unless it's wide open to the kitchen. .   The loft room looks like it's only big enough for a storage room.   

I hope she learns to cook eggs better than her father did, he's a worse cook than I am.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 2
  • LOL 1
4 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

She choose the 2 story condo, and her father was helping her break through the wall at the top of the stairs, and turn the area over the kitchen into a loft.   The list price was $650k, she offered $740k, and settled at $750k.     Plus, the HOA fee was pretty high, $336 a month.   I hope she learns to cook eggs better than her father did, he's a worse cook than I am.   

Thanks, @CrazyInAlabama. Wow, 100K over asking is pretty steep. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
On 11/25/2022 at 10:33 PM, Grizzly said:

She ended up in 1040 square feet, which isn’t that big. The single family was smaller than that although it had a lot of outdoor space, which in San Diego is living space much of the time. I live in about 900 square feet and have a goal to trade up. And I definitely would want two baths. She works from home, as do I; having a separate work space really makes a difference in terms of maintaining work/life balance. And it seems like her dad visits semi-frequently, so having a room for guests makes sense (though having an office/guest room could also work).

I didn’t like the aesthetics of the place she bought, or the third place. Very sterile. Loved the charm in the first place but it was tiny. ($799K for 750 square feet, my God.)

I think her primary job was an engineer. She said she’d just started her “personal finance journey” (can we PLEASE retire the word “journey”?) a few years ago so it’s still pretty new and she does it on the side.

• Like 2
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Empress1 said:

She ended up in 1040 square feet, which isn’t that big. The single family was smaller than that although it had a lot of outdoor space, which in San Diego is living space much of the time. I live in about 900 square feet and have a goal to trade up. And I definitely would want two baths. She works from home, as do I; having a separate work space really makes a difference in terms of maintaining work/life balance. And it seems like her dad visits semi-frequently, so having a room for guests makes sense (though having an office/guest room could also work).

I didn’t like the aesthetics of the place she bought, or the third place. Very sterile. Loved the charm in the first place but it was tiny. ($799K for 750 square feet, my God.)

I think her primary job was an engineer. She said she’d just started her “personal finance journey” (can we PLEASE retire the word “journey”?) a few years ago so it’s still pretty new and she does it on the side.

I got the sense that she was blogging about her finance journey which I get. When I first started working at a relatively well paying professional job, I thought I had much more money than I actually had when reality kicked in. It took me awhile to realize how much it actually cost to live - especially because every month there is *always* an unexpected expense whether it is dental work; appliance repair or something comparable.

The size of the condo wasn't that small - especially for one person who only needs two bedrooms. In my experience, much of how a house actually "lives" is based on how well space is utilized. 

I lived for awhile with a roommate in the classic California bungalow like the first one. Two bedrooms of relatively modest size with a medium size bathroom between them - living room and relatively small kitchen with small dining area. These were originally built for blue collar workers in the early days of the development of Southern California - they are the equivalent of what a worker might live in - an apartment in a place like New York City or the classic small row houses of Philadelpha. It actually was quite comfortable for what it was because there wasn't any extra space as there weren't hallways.

What I really find funny is when someone wants three bedrooms/2 bathrooms and the footage is the typical older home so it is perhaps 1500 square feet and then the people moan about how small the rooms are. Exactly how did these people think you could cram all of these rooms into relatively small square footage and still have palatial sized rooms.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, amarante said:

What I really find funny is when someone wants three bedrooms/2 bathrooms and the footage is the typical older home so it is perhaps 1500 square feet and then the people moan about how small the rooms are. Exactly how did these people think you could cram all of these rooms into relatively small square footage and still have palatial sized rooms.

I get so annoyed when they don’t do the math. “Ooh, four bedrooms, 1100 square feet? Sounds great. …These rooms are awfully small.” Yes, it is a small house. That’s what happens.

• Love 9
2 hours ago, Empress1 said:

I get so annoyed when they don’t do the math. “Ooh, four bedrooms, 1100 square feet? Sounds great. …These rooms are awfully small.” Yes, it is a small house. That’s what happens.

Yes indeed there have been a couple of ones in which the house was that size or a bit bigger (maybe 1200 square feet) and I wonder how they managed to squeeze three bedrooms into that space. Of course that size and those many bedrooms are not out of line for homes built prior to WW II or just after for returning war veterans - i.e Levittown type homes.

And because it never gets old in terms of snarking on them, the clueless HH who want "charm" but then are appalled at what comes with charm like no en suite. And even relatively new homes (i.e. those built in the 1960's) might have an ensuite but it is generally very small - i.e. small sink, toilet and a tiny stall shower.

• Like 3
  • Love 3
On 11/26/2022 at 1:11 PM, CrazyInAlabama said:

I hope she learns to cook eggs better than her father did, he's a worse cook than I am. 

I'm gonna give Dad the benefit of the doubt and assume that there was more than one take in this scene and the eggs kept on cooking. 

I can't imagine paying so much a month in HOA/condo/maintenance fees. Of course, the longer you have owned your own home, the more these fees sound more like much of your mortgage payment, if you still have one.

I liked that this lady was so passionate about surfing and it was surfing that drove her house hunt, not getting a place for Fluffy/Fido or a boyfriend with whom she was taking her relationship to the "next level" or space for all her clothes. Just surfing. For now.

• Love 3
On 11/27/2022 at 4:00 PM, mojito said:

I'm gonna give Dad the benefit of the doubt and assume that there was more than one take in this scene and the eggs kept on cooking. 

I can't imagine paying so much a month in HOA/condo/maintenance fees. Of course, the longer you have owned your own home, the more these fees sound more like much of your mortgage payment, if you still have one.

I liked that this lady was so passionate about surfing and it was surfing that drove her house hunt, not getting a place for Fluffy/Fido or a boyfriend with whom she was taking her relationship to the "next level" or space for all her clothes. Just surfing. For now.

Condo fees are an actual cost benefit since a lot of expenses are taken care of depending on the condo. This would include all expensive exterior maintenance, some amount of utilities, landscaping, snow removal, amenities like pools of applicable as well as luxury features such as doorman, gated security with attendant and valet parking. Insurance is paid for by the HOA and the cost of insurance for a single family home is expensive as well. With a condo you only insure the value of your personal property and the interior improvements so premiums are significantly less  

When you pay condo fees you aren’t paying a landlord but are paying for the actual cost of maintaining the property. Every homeowner gets a copy of the annual budget which shows every line item expenditure. 

ETA - I am not sure how recent the episode was with the woman moving to Philly and searching with her mother. Her mother was concerned with security, parking, maintenance and other practical stuff and the HH was concerned with charm. When I bought my condo as a single woman my parents came along to advise me and they also were very into practical stuff including security while I had my head more in the clouds. Looking back at what I bought I am glad that I opted for something with security - not to mention having all of my deliveries held for me safely by the door person in a special locked package room 

Edited by amarante
  • Love 2
10 hours ago, mojito said:

It was the constant chopping those eggs into tiny fragments that drove me crazy.  Doesn't he know that scrambled eggs are suppose to have nice large curds.  Have seen cooks at buffets in hotels do the same chopping up of the scrambled eggs.

• Love 2
22 hours ago, amarante said:

And because it never gets old in terms of snarking on them, the clueless HH who want "charm" but then are appalled at what comes with charm like no en suite. And even relatively new homes (i.e. those built in the 1960's) might have an ensuite but it is generally very small - i.e. small sink, toilet and a tiny stall shower.

The only ones that may be worse are those who "want to put our own stamp on it" types. That stamp is nearly always the same thing all these flippers and new builds are doing. Open concept white/grey is not your stamp.

• Love 3

I thought the condo was boring and drab.  That said, that HOA fee was not high.  I live in FL and pay $380/month.  Everything on the exterior of my home is taken care of by the HOA.  The second year I was here I got a brand new roof.  I owned a single family home in Indiana and the constant upkeep of my 1925 bungalow was draining.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Watched 2 episodes, and I liked both couples! Shocker.

The first were from Florida buying a vacation home in the mountains. All those stairs to the river? Those will get old quick and be a downside if they try to sell let alone rent it. And that 2nd house sleeps 20? In 4 bedrooms. Like you want bodies everywhere and bunk beds shoved in every corner of the common areas and your renters paying $15 per person per night.

Second couple from West Virginia were young even for being young. I hope the high school rivalry was played up for the “drama.” He had a plum job working for the state treasurer and she was a teacher, so I presume they’re college educated: Get past high school. The painted paneling? Shudder. His repeated fantasies of The Guys coming over to hang out or watch the big game, though…she didn’t seem so warm to the idea. 

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Kiddvideo said:

Watched 2 episodes, and I liked both couples! Shocker.

The first were from Florida buying a vacation home in the mountains. All those stairs to the river? Those will get old quick and be a downside if they try to sell let alone rent it. And that 2nd house sleeps 20? In 4 bedrooms. Like you want bodies everywhere and bunk beds shoved in every corner of the common areas and your renters paying $15 per person per night.

Second couple from West Virginia were young even for being young. I hope the high school rivalry was played up for the “drama.” He had a plum job working for the state treasurer and she was a teacher, so I presume they’re college educated: Get past high school. The painted paneling? Shudder. His repeated fantasies of The Guys coming over to hang out or watch the big game, though…she didn’t seem so warm to the idea. 

Florida couple were there to pimp that place for rental purposes.  Ten hour drive from their home in Florida and the fact that they needed to rent it to afford it tells me a lot.  What happens when you can't get it rented, bank repossesses  it?

Edited by cameron
  • Love 3

I think a great majority of the vacation homes are actually just investment properties.    I've noticed that the family scenes at the end for most of the beach properties are the family on the beach are because the condo is rented out. 

The Monday hour-long episodes are just two recent reruns, tacked together.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, Kiddvideo said:

The first were from Florida buying a vacation home in the mountains.

When I read this, my first thought was - there are no mountains in Florida. 😂

5 hours ago, cameron said:

What happens when you can't get it rented, bank repossesses  it?

All rentals we've ever used are managed by a property management company. Buyers can get a record of the rental history to see if it's a viable option.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

San Antonio. I'm sorry but the outside of the house she picked did not scream welcome. Just the opposite, it said stay out. Someone should explain to her the difference between character and outdated.

• Wink 1
  • Love 2

San Antonio.    House #1 was interesting.   I'm wondering if the atrium was used for plants, so that's why the floor drain, and water lines?   And if those skylights leak?    I didn't like that house at all.    The sunken tub is awful, the sliders from the bathroom were terrible, and the floor plan was bizarre.    I guess she could turn one of the family room or other spare rooms into a third bedroom, but I didn't like the house at all. 

#2 the townhouse was nicer.    

I would have taken the carpet out, and put in LVP everywhere.   

#3 the house with the big back yard, since the builder is still putting up houses, why didn't she wait, and get the builder to put in a tub in the ensuite?   

• Like 5

Phoenix.  I wonder if the surgeon wife is working at the Mayo Clinic in Scottsdale?   She had an impressive background. 

I really liked the couple.   They acted like grown ups, instead of the usual Bickersons that they have on this show. 

#1 had the sport court he demanded, the lovely pool, and the only issue was the kitchen wasn't big enough for him.    I know they didn't like some things on the house, but I loved it.  This one really faked me out, when I saw the in progress renos, I thought they bought it, and when they said pocket listing, I thought this was it.    It didn't have a separate building for the casita, the the lagre studio suite would work for the parents.   It already had a basketball/pickleball, court and the pool 

#2-I didn't like the wallpaper everywhere.   The back yard didn't impress me, especially when they said the casita was just storage, unless they put in a ton of money for a bathroom, and I bet other upgrades.  I wouldn't be able to live with the sunken living room, and I bet theat will cost a ton to fix.   I think the house needed major work.  

#3-I liked it, the casita, but since it's on the golf course, I'm wondering if you have to pay a membership, or have huge HOAs?    This house is over budget, and with the changes they want to make, like adding the pool, they will be way over budget.

They chose #3, and I would take #1. 

House 2 would have cost more than any of the others, with the casita upgrade, and adding a pool.  I think the wife was lying about loving the wallpaper everywhere.   I would have bought #1, and bumped the kitchen out, for $30k or $40k, and the house would have been perfect. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 1
  • Love 4

New, Jacksonville, Florida "My Husband is My Toughest Client"

India is a realtor too, and her husband is her toughest client.  One son, adorable, and a 12 year-old poodle (changed because I ran sentences together, and it sounded like the poodle was a social worker).  Husband's a clinical social worker.  (I love the husband's wooden bow tie).

The first house they bought was a fixer, they did a lot of the work themselves.  Now they are in a new construction, that's too small now. They want the Southside Neigborhood, close to family.   The want hardwood, LVP floors.  No renovations this time. His budget $600k, her budget $500k, and she has to have a pool.

House 1-Price drop on their current street. 4 bed 2.5 bath, 2532 sq ft. all bedrooms on the second floor.  $495k price, plus it needs a pool, and screened room.  

House 2-Has pool with screen room,  location isn't ideal-one exit further from family, $499,900, 2560 sq ft, , 4 bed 3 bath, hardwood floors, with a big office for her. kitchen is nice, but no island, bedroom for son has carpet, 2 guest rooms with carpet too, split bedroom plan for main bedroom, and ensuite is big. with a nice walk-in closet, plus another walk-in closet. 

House 3-Northside, 20 minutes from their desired location , 4 bed 3.5 bath, 2901 sq ft, $499,900, two story, all tile on the first floor. kitchen is very nice, There's a community pool, and room to put their own pool in.   They need a good fence behind the house, by the pond.   I don't like this house.  They need to put a good fence behind the house, and depending on the neighborhood rules, that may be very expensive to it doesn't ruin the view to the water (a local subdivision with a big lake, requires lakeside back yards to have a wrought iron fence, so you can see through, it's very expensive.)

They buy #3 .  List $499,900, bought for $500k.

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 1

I absolutely loved the couple looking for a home in Scottsdale, Keenan and his wife. So many couples on this show are so dry and seem like they don't even like each other, these two actually seemed like friends. I liked their ribbing of each other, it kept the episode interesting. 

• Like 5
  • Love 1
On 10/26/2022 at 9:17 PM, CruiseDiva said:

Good thing she didn't pick the house close to Savannah. Depending exactly on its location that drive to Statesboro could not only be long, but the roads are through the countryside and not the best. One year my husband and I had an accident when a deer ran into our car when we were between Savannah and Statesboro. It's not an uncommon occurrence, There's a lot of open space in that part of Georgia and no interstate along that route.

I missed that ep.  Was a Statesboro student house hunting in Savannah?  That could be tempting, but Lordy, that drive would get old, with or without deer.  Too bad her classes weren’t offered at Georgia Southern’s Savannah campus.  

On 11/26/2022 at 6:04 AM, Grrarrggh said:

Maybe I'm just an inveterate loner, but I don't understand all these people so worried about their guest space(s). Unless you've got people coming to stay every weekend or for months at a time, why are you putting so much consideration into the 5-10% of your life, not the rest of it? 

So nice to see a Craftsman that actually was one, and with that beautiful word work still there and not painted!

I didn’t catch the full episode, but I always roll my eyes when house hunters refer to anything with a pillar on the front porch as a Craftsman.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
18 hours ago, South said:

I didn’t catch the full episode, but I always roll my eyes when house hunters refer to anything with a pillar on the front porch as a Craftsman.

Or when they think that a Craftsman is choosing a contemporary style home.

They obviously have not the slightest whiff of architectural history knowledge and how Craftsman/Arts & Crafts was a late nineteenth century/early 20th Century distinctive design movement in reaction to both Victorian excess and industrial machine age mass production.

• Love 6
11 hours ago, amarante said:

Or when they think that a Craftsman is choosing a contemporary style home.

They obviously have not the slightest whiff of architectural history knowledge and how Craftsman/Arts & Crafts was a late nineteenth century/early 20th Century distinctive design movement in reaction to both Victorian excess and industrial machine age mass production.

Same thing with the Georgia episode.  She called that first home a "french provincial" which was anything but a "french provincial" and another person who clobbers the pronunciation  of the word bedroom.  It doesn't have a "t" in it.

Edited by cameron
  • Love 4