Type keyword(s) to search

Father Brown - General Discussion

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, kitmerlot1213 said:

I just watched the episode with the child killer/secret twin episode and man, was that lame.  I did enjoy Mallory's getting punched in the nose--we need more episodes featuring Mallory's getting hit :)

I don't understand why he's even on the show. He adds nothing but irritation. Like a stone in your shoe.

• Love 5

So I just finished watching the episode with Flambeau's wanting Lady Felicia to go to NYC with him and I just about rolled my eyes out of my head.  Why this show insists on acting as if their rather banal leads are these irresistible sexually alluring people is beyond me.  Flambeau is ridiculously smarmy with his leer and "clever" disguises and Lady Felicia is a mildly attractive woman in her late forties/early fifties.  Enough, show.

And now there's a retcon that Lady Felicia loves Monty and she can't stand that they're fighting?  So we're supposed to forget all of the episodes that had serial cheater Lady Felicia throwing herself at any good looking man in the vicinity? 

• Love 7

I just watched the episode The New Order and it's damn terrifying how easily people with money can destroy the lives of people less fortunate.   And regarding the female hormone therapy Stanley was forced to undergo--wouldn't the effects wear off once he stopped taking the hormones?

• Love 3

I just watched the new crime drama Karen Pirie on BritBox and was surprised to see that it was written by Emer Kenny. She's also one of the writers for the new show on Netflix The Bastard Son & the Devil Himself, so I wonder if we'll see much--if any--of Bunty on the next season of Father Brown. She has a small role in Karen Pirie (which I quite liked), but I didn't even recognize her without the period styling.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, krankydoodle said:

I just watched the new crime drama Karen Pirie on BritBox and was surprised to see that it was written by Emer Kenny. She's also one of the writers for the new show on Netflix The Bastard Son & the Devil Himself, so I wonder if we'll see much--if any--of Bunty on the next season of Father Brown. She has a small role in Karen Pirie (which I quite liked), but I didn't even recognize her without the period styling.

No wonder we never see Bunty any more. I quite miss her.

• Like 1
  • Love 3

I enjoyed Karen Pirie as well and was delighted to see Emer Kenny was involved - both in front of and behind the camera.

I do hope we get a couple of drop-ins from Bunty in season 10 of Father Brown like we did in season 9. I love the energy she brings to the show.

• Like 1
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

No wonder we never see Bunty any more. I quite miss her.

She looked familiar to me, but I wasn't sure till I looked her up.  She looked surprisingly different.  I hope we still see her on Father Brown.

• Like 1
  • Love 2
21 hours ago, Gillian Rosh said:

I enjoyed Karen Pirie as well and was delighted to see Emer Kenny was involved - both in front of and behind the camera.

I watched a couple episodes last night based on seeing it shared here, and I really liked it too. 

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 3

S10E01 has aired in the UK, and 

Spoiler

Bunty is on safari in Africa, Mrs. McCarthy is in Ireland with her sister, and Inspector Mallory is in Scotland "for the golf" (lol).  Which brings back Chief Inspector Sullivan to Kembleford!  New character is Mrs. Devine, who is an amateur actress and sleuth and who has a mysterious connection with CI Sullivan.  

Edited by LGraves65
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1

My local PBS station just started showing S10 and I just can't deal with the two new chicks.  Not to be cruel, but what the hell kind of accent does Brenda have?  She's practically incomprehensible and she overacts pretty badly.  Then we have the bleached blonde Mrs. Devine who speaks with this extremely high pitched voice, like she's trying to project over a loud noise.

I could understand why Mrs. McCarthy was called so formally-she was an older lady and it was a form of respect.  This new woman's in her late 30's/early 40's, she can be called by her first name.

And how sad for Inspector Sullivan--he's had a promotion and worked in London and now he gets sent back to Kembleford.

• Like 3
  • Applause 1

Can someone tell me what season I am watching? The last episode  I just watched on KPBS San Diego  had Father Brown and the two ladies helping Inspector Sullivan who was being framed by his corrupt London superior.  At the end the inspector chooses to stay in Kembleford. It's become pretty clear why. Smiles. He is smitten with Mrs DeVine and vice versa. Is this season 10?

Per the rules I didn't spoiler this post.

15 hours ago, magdalene said:

Can someone tell me what season I am watching? The last episode  I just watched on KPBS San Diego  had Father Brown and the two ladies helping Inspector Sullivan who was being framed by his corrupt London superior.  At the end the inspector chooses to stay in Kembleford. It's become pretty clear why. Smiles. He is smitten with Mrs DeVine and vice versa. Is this season 10?

Per the rules I didn't spoiler this post.

Yes.  That is the first episode of Season 10.

• Applause 1

The first 2 episodes of season 10 are finally up on BritBox. I loved both. The mysteries were good, and I enjoyed Mrs. Devine - especially when paired with Lady Felicia.

I cackled when Inspector Sullivan said Insp. Mallory requested to be transferred FAR away from Fr. Brown. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 4

First thing I noticed with the start of season 10 is that the episode looks like it's shot on videotape? Has that soap opera look to it compared to being shot on film. Also seems like the producers? have changed  how the storyline plays out? I'm ok with some of the new characters. Love that Morris Traveller Mrs. DeVine drives,is that the same one Dot and Jim Branning drove on Eastenders???  is there a long ago past romantic connection between the widow  Mrs. DeVine and Inspector Sullivan? Looking forward to next episode.

Caught up on the third and fourth episodes, and I'm continuing to love this latest season of the show. Mrs. Devine and Brenda have both fit in very well with Father Brown. And I've found myself surprisingly moved by the stories at the heart of the mysteries, particularly in "The Gardeners of Eden" episode. Also loving having Inspector Sullivan back. I'm assuming we'll eventually find out what's up with him and Mrs. Devine.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
2 hours ago, wanderingstar said:

Also loving having Inspector Sullivan back. I'm assuming we'll eventually find out what's up with him and Mrs. Devine.

I'm also happy that Inspector Sullivan is back. I was not a fan of Inspector Mallory. (Love Sergeant Goodfellow!)

• Like 7
  • LOL 2
On 6/21/2023 at 6:26 AM, wanderingstar said:

I'm assuming we'll eventually find out what's up with him and Mrs. Devine.

My guess is they are smitten with each other and she is the future Mrs. Sullivan.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • Useful 2
(edited)

I'm so excited that this is a new season! I thought this show was old as dirt and long gone, even though I love it!

ETA: When was the last new season before this one? Just curious since I thought this series was so old.

Also, I miss the curmugeony old lady who took care of Father Brown. These two new ladies are just silly. The younger one is too young, maybe if we had her back story it would make sense. And the middle aged one is just silly, period.

Edited by surfgirl
  • Like 3
On 6/25/2023 at 9:39 PM, surfgirl said:

I'm so excited that this is a new season! I thought this show was old as dirt and long gone, even though I love it!

ETA: When was the last new season before this one? Just curious since I thought this series was so old.

Also, I miss the curmugeony old lady who took care of Father Brown. These two new ladies are just silly. The younger one is too young, maybe if we had her back story it would make sense. And the middle aged one is just silly, period.

I think the first season of Father Brown was in 2013. There may have been a lapse during the pandemic, but otherwise, they've pretty consistently put out one season/year. With regards to Brenda, she was introduced in a Season 9 episode, although I don't know if there were plans for her to become a regular at the time.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
(edited)
On 6/25/2023 at 10:39 PM, surfgirl said:

Brenda aka the young one, was in the season 9 episode The Wayward Girls where her tragic backstory was semi-explained in that she stole something, then got sent to a girl's home where she was subsequently framed for a crime she didn't commit by the chick running the girls home.  Father Brown then helped her again by hiring her as a housekeeper.  If the actress playing Brenda wants to work outside of the UK then she needs allocution lessons--her accent is insane.

I agree that Mrs. Devine in silly in that she thinks she's some kind of great actress and then she tries to impersonate Father Brown and gets easily caught.  I guess it was supposed to be amusing but I just cringed.  

I do feel badly for Inspector Sullivan in that he obviously hates life in Kembleford but he needs to get a grip or he's going to be deeply unhappy for the forseeable future.

Edited by kitmerlot1213
  • Like 4

I am so glad that Mrs McCarthy has moved away and that Inspector  Mallory left.  This gave me real hope for something fresh.  Unfortunately, I don't care for the new additions at all and something feels off in the writing. I'll watch as long as they continue but I suspect they are about finished.

• Like 5

Last night I watched what I think was the last season's closing show, a Christmas episode, with the old Mrs. Whatshername. It was so much better with her, than these two schmoes.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

Just finished season 10 and I found many things to like...Brenda and Insp. Sullivan being the two that made the show fresher for me.

That said, I am really sick of the way they keep banging Sgt. Goodfellow around.

I really like the character and do not want him to leave, but the way they showed him deserving of the Insp. job and then HAVING the job for ONE DAY???!!!????

Left a very bad taste in my mouth.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
(edited)

Watched the final 2 episodes of season 10 last night, and of course I loved them. This season has been delightful. However, I was miffed that we didn't get a kiss - or even a hug - for Mrs. Devine and Inspector Sullivan (or, Edgar, as we learned is his first name!) I usually don't like romances in my cozy mysteries, but I've strangely gotten invested in these 2.

Amusing that Father Brown had an episode featuring bikers, as Grantchester's season 8 premiere also featured a biker gang.

Edited by wanderingstar
  • Like 4
  • Applause 1
On 6/29/2023 at 9:31 PM, TVForever said:

I want to like Brenda-I really do, but she's being written like the village idiot. 

I can't stand the way she talks or acts. How old is she supposed to be? I miss Bunty. I'm ok with Mrs. Devine, because I didn't like Mrs. McCarthy either. I liked Lady Felicia.

As much as Mallory came off as a dumbass, Sullivan just annoys me with his consistent attitude toward Father Brown. He should know by now that Father Brown will solve his cases. Think how many innocent people would be in jail if Sullivan had his way.

• Like 2
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, Writing Wrongs said:

I can't stand the way she talks or acts. How old is she supposed to be? I miss Bunty. I'm ok with Mrs. Devine, because I didn't like Mrs. McCarthy either. I liked Lady Felicia.

As much as Mallory came off as a dumbass, Sullivan just annoys me with his consistent attitude toward Father Brown. He should know by now that Father Brown will solve his cases. Think how many innocent people would be in jail if Sullivan had his way.

Mrs Devine is fine, I'm so glad to lose Mrs McCarthy, so she is a great improvement.  I don't care for Brenda and I miss Bunty and Lady Felicia, too.

• Like 1

We have both given up on this show.  The three new characters are awful. The only character worth watching is Goodfellow.
It seem that all the humor is gone.
We also miss Syd, Bunty and Lady Felicia. 

• Like 3

I don't mind any of the new characters. I like Inspector Sullivan, although I think it's ridiculous that he's being written the way he is, since his character has gone to Father Brown for help in the past. I'm just glad Inspector Mallory is gone, and Mrs. McCarthy for that matter. She had started out somewhat harsh, then softened somewhat, and then gotten pretty harsh again these last couple of seasons.

• Like 3
On 7/1/2023 at 6:49 PM, kaygeeret said:

That said, I am really sick of the way they keep banging Sgt. Goodfellow around.

I really like the character and do not want him to leave, but the way they showed him deserving of the Insp. job and then HAVING the job for ONE DAY???!!!????

Left a very bad taste in my mouth.

I agree.  Goodfellow deserved the job. I also found it a bit ridiculous that Sullivan is allowed to go back to Scotland yard and get out of Kembleford a place he obviously hates but decided to stay for Mrs Devine. 

On 8/7/2023 at 4:36 PM, DaveA said:

We have both given up on this show.  The three new characters are awful. The only character worth watching is Goodfellow.

I miss Syd and Lady Felicia. I didn't like Bunty. 

• Like 3

I have liked all the supporting characters over the years. And I like the new set too.  My favorite probably was Bunty.  A looker with a brain, quick thinking and fearless and loyal to her friends. Plus the actor who played Bunty is also an excellent writer. Look her up. I even appreciate Mallory now because I saw the actor who played him recently in this crime drama Ridley in a completely different role - and he was superb!

They have very good character actors on this show.

• Like 6
  • Applause 2
On 8/7/2023 at 6:36 PM, DaveA said:

Brenda is mostly incomprehensible when she speaks, but there are times I can understand her and in those moments I can see that she's a good person who sometimes makes bad choices.  It's Mrs. Devine who's completely ruined the show for me.  The insistence that she's this glamorous woman while also being a talented actress who's also a great detective is obnoxious--she's mucked up several of the cases and only gets out alive from shear luck.  Then we have her overly put on breathy high pitched voice with her bleached blonde hair and the character looks down right silly.  The show needs to tone the ridiculousness down or it will become unwatchable.

• Like 5
  • Love 1

Used to love FB, but Season 10 was a mess. The mysteries were weak and choppily-written. Even worse, Devine and Brenda as written can’t help carry the show. Devine comes off as a preening showboat who lacks common sense. She actually got worse as the season went on, not better. And her romance with Sullivan is disastrous—no chemistry at all, and even the actors don’t look like they believe in it. Sorry to see FB go out like this…

Edited by Decker24
  • Like 5
On 8/22/2023 at 8:22 AM, kitmerlot1213 said:

It's Mrs. Devine who's completely ruined the show for me.  The insistence that she's this glamorous woman while also being a talented actress who's also a great detective is obnoxious--she's mucked up several of the cases and only gets out alive from shear luck.  Then we have her overly put on breathy high pitched voice with her bleached blonde hair and the character looks down right silly.  The show needs to tone the ridiculousness down or it will become unwatchable.

_Thank_ you. She’s also vapid and self-centered as all get-out, given how she constantly puts everyone in unnecessary danger with her antics. Her character has really taken a wrecking ball to FB. And when you consider she’ll probably get a lot of episode time next season (reuniting Sullivan with his parents like the Quirky-Adorkable Angel she is; saving her son from a probable murder rap; and the godawful wedding-to-Sullivan) . . . ugh. Seriously, how hard could it be to give Sullivan a good love interest? Devine was so disastrous in the final S10 episode, it’s impossible to see how she can be fixed.

Edited by Decker24
  • Like 1
14 hours ago, Decker24 said:

Used to love FB, but Season 10 was a mess. The mysteries were weak and choppily-written. Even worse, Devine and Brenda as written can’t help carry the show. Devine comes off as a preening showboat who lacks common sense. She actually got worse as the season went on, not better. And her romance with Sullivan is disastrous—no chemistry at all, and even the actors don’t look like they believe in it. Sorry to see FB go out like this…

I can't say I ever loved this show. Self-righteous Father Brown was not amusing to me, but it entertain. This season has not been entertaining at all and more self-righteous than ever.

On 8/9/2023 at 1:35 PM, mellyf said:

I don't mind any of the new characters. I like Inspector Sullivan, although I think it's ridiculous that he's being written the way he is, since his character has gone to Father Brown for help in the past. 

I came here to ask if others felt like they totally switched up how this character behaves this season. It is very similar to the annoying dude he replaced. Why?

I did feel like Sullivan's character changed. When he was first on, he didn't have disdain for all things Kembleford. But this time around, he spent the whole season trying to get out of Kembleford and back to his job at Scotland Yard. I guess it would be hard for someone like him to go from the prestige of Scotland Yard back to policing a small village, but the change in character was jarring.

35 minutes ago, wanderingstar said:

I did feel like Sullivan's character changed. When he was first on, he didn't have disdain for all things Kembleford. But this time around, he spent the whole season trying to get out of Kembleford and back to his job at Scotland Yard. I guess it would be hard for someone like him to go from the prestige of Scotland Yard back to policing a small village, but the change in character was jarring.

For me, it was not that he wanted to get back to Scotland Yard but that he was so nasty and, often, unprofessional about it. I thought his first time around, he cared about justice and not just closing a case. I also thought he was better at his job the first time around.