Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E01: Jesus Gonna Be Here

My mama use to say "if you can't say somethin' nice..."

So I thought about if there was at least one nice thing I could say about this episode and what it suggests about this final season, and I finally came up with something:

No matter how this season ends, no matter how awful, there's still a 98.5% chance it'll still be a better ending than the way Charlene Harris ended the book series.

So I'm going to try and keep that in mind as I plow through the rest of the series.

Oh my sweet lord almighty, truer words have never been spoken.  Though if SOOKEH! and Beel end up together it really will be a race to a shit tie between the two.

Maybe Tara'll Godric and show up every now and then and say some insightful, rage-filled things to Sookie. Not that Sookie every listened to her before. And I can't really imagine Tara being more angry then she has been.

I doubt it, and I don't particularly want it. Just dead isn't always dead and gone on True Blood. Hell, if there can be a fairy vampire hybrid, why can't a vampire also be a ghost?

Sookie. SooooooOOOOOOOooookie!

I am one of the few who think that Tara is indeed dead dead.  The whole Pam-didn't-react-so-it-didn't-happen thing is nothing to me.  First, if memory serves, Pam released Tara in the final episode last season, correct?  When she decided to go looking for Eric?  So the writers can reference that if they really care enough.  Second, and more important to me, is that these writers are the worst, absolutely the WORST with following their own canon.  Saying all that, yeah, I think we'll see her in flashbacks or as a ghost.  But definitely, finally dead.

Meanwhile, I don't remember Sam getting that chick pregnant...was that a new actress?

No, not a different actress.  Same one as last season.  Of course after watching his big love die and then kidnapping her child, Sam decided to sleep with a college student within days and then he and Alcide smelled a baby inside her.  She decided to stay with Sam because OF COURSE YOU STAY WITH A GUY ABOUT 15 YEARS OLDER THAN YOU WHEN YOU GET PREGNANT BY HIM AFTER ABOUT 10 DAYS.

These characters ... Jesus Tap Dancing Christ.

• Love 5

Re Eric and Pam, I'm pretty meh on them lately. Eric claimed that the maker/progeny bond was "deeper than any human" one, but when Nora met the True Death, he abandoned Pam and Willa while Pam abandoned Tara. Eric and Pam didn't just leave their progeny overnight- they abandoned them for months. I know that Eric's in mourning and Pam wants to help him, but Willa and Tara are/were basically babies and responsible guardians don't leave their children alone no matter what Hell they're going through themselves. At least when Bill left Jessica 3 seasons ago it was by force, not by choice and Eric wasn't a baby vamp when Godric took his sabbatical before he met the True Death. Maybe if Eric and Pam had shown as much devotion for their progeny as they do for each other, one of them wouldn't have met the True Death either.  When Pam played Russian roulette with the Muslim vamp in Morocco, she wasn't just gambling with her own life, she was gambling with Tara's. Pam seemed to show more concern for the human child she didn't feed on than for Tara. Rev. Daniels has been more of a father to Willa in a night than both her fathers, human and vamp, combined. Like Tara said in last season's finale, "[Eric and Pam] are the two worst fuckin' makers ever."

Re Sam, as if he didn't have enough to deal with with his pregnant wife being kidnapped and held prisoner by H-vamps, now he's got Vince, his former opponent-turned vigilante, to worry about. I don't like Vince, not because he hates Sookie or vamps, but because he's a loose cannon whose actions could endanger Holly, Arlene, Jane and Nicole even more. Andy warned Vince that he and his anti-supe goons to stay out of the way, but they wouldn't listen, which will make matters even worse, I'm guessing.

Re Bill, as someone who has watched every episode of True Blood, I already know about all the storylines including his. My point is that I just don't care how bad Bill feels about what he's done.  It's vamps like Bill who give the good ones a worse name, as far as I'm concerned.

Re makers leaving: Maybe Pam never felt it? IT doesn't explain Eric since he'd been a maker before, so he'd know what he was talking about, and what he felt. Maybe Pam had some sort of post-partum maker depression?

Or a wizard did it. 

The problem with Eric and Pam and their progeny is further evidence the showrunners either don't have a story bible or even watch their own show.  One of the more consistent things about Eric has always been his reverence for the maker/progeny relationship.  He was willing to die for Godric and had taken prodigious care of Pam.  Yet he turned Willa with seemingly little thought beyond using her against her governor father and other than summoning her when he needed to get Nora out of the vamp camp apparently hasn't given her any mind since.  So she's been left to mostly fend for herself despite how clearly we've been told that this a Very Bad Thing.

Pam at least didn't really want to be a maker.  I think it probably is consistent with her character that she wasn't much interested in the responsibility of it, but a maker she is nonetheless.  I generally have always loved Pam but in this case, she's like the mom who left the kids unattended to go chase after the boyfriend who walked out on her.  Unsurprisingly, one of the kids may have died because of it.

Sadly, this is the only part of the current story I care much about.

• Love 1

The problem with Eric and Pam and their progeny is further evidence the showrunners either don't have a story bible or even watch their own show.  One of the more consistent things about Eric has always been his reverence for the maker/progeny relationship.  He was willing to die for Godric and had taken prodigious care of Pam.  Yet he turned Willa with seemingly little thought beyond using her against her governor father and other than summoning her when he needed to get Nora out of the vamp camp apparently hasn't given her any mind since.  So she's been left to mostly fend for herself despite how clearly we've been told that this a Very Bad Thing.

Pam at least didn't really want to be a maker.  I think it probably is consistent with her character that she wasn't much interested in the responsibility of it, but a maker she is nonetheless.  I generally have always loved Pam but in this case, she's like the mom who left the kids unattended to go chase after the boyfriend who walked out on her.  Unsurprisingly, one of the kids may have died because of it.

Sadly, this is the only part of the current story I care much about.

I've been looking at Eric's actions as a way show us just how profoundly he's been affected by Nora's death... and now that all this time has gone by, it's possible we'll get a reason why Eric has stayed away all this time. But his turning of Willa was impulsive and not well thought out...

As for Pam... she cared enough when Tara tried to fry her self in the beginning... but Eric is and always will be more important to her than anyone else. I do think we'll see her reaction at some point, and I wonder if that is what will bring them back to the BT storyline.

Just tell me when Eric is back, I'm not watching until he's shown again. From what I read, I'm not missing much.

Eric will appear in the next episode, but I don't know if he'll have been found by Pam at that point.

• Love 1

I know that people are saying Sookie never mourned for Tara.  I have to disagree.  Part of her walking out of the bar was to get away from people's thoughts.  And my gods, if those people should be mad at someone why the hell are they not mad at their Mayor? Sookie didn't come up with the hairbrained idea of an outside BBQ.  Come on!  They knew HepV Vamps were out and about.  That was the whole reason that they were doing this get together.  Why the hell don't they have it in a gym or church, or someplace the vamps need permission to get it?  All these seasons and these characters are still that dumb? 

When I heard the scream from LM, I started cursing.  I have never gotten mad at a show enough to yell at it, but that night I did.  F@ck you show! I was never a big Tara fan, but it seemed like she finally came to her own when she became a vampire.  She wasn't the victim anymore, she was in control....then the writers kill her off screen.  That is the biggest piece of bullshit I have ever seen.  Killing Tara, and leaving Violet, Wilya, Sams preg gf......all these freaking unnecessary people that we give zero shit about.  To what end?  That is what I want to know.  Do the writers really hate the viewers that much?

Sookie is not the same girl as Season 1.  She has lost too many people she cared about and taking time to break down and cry, well, there isn't time for that.  Least we forget there is this HepV appocalypse going on.  No big funerals for anyone anytime soon, because of all the chaos, and I am ok with that. I do hope that we will see more grief from the main characters throughout the season.  Tara deserves at least that.

• Love 1
(edited)

Re Jessica/Adalin, Jess' willingness to protect Adalin to the True death from the H-vamp was touching and it almost made me forget about Jess killing Adalin's sisters-almost. Just because someone feels bad about doing something wrong, that doesn't make it less wrong. Just because Adalin forgives Jess that doesn't mean Andy will or should, for that matter.

The James/Lafayette scenes were definitely one of the highlights of the episode. As the New James, Nathan Parsons is already a major upgrade over Luke Grimes in terms of looks, talent and attitude. James telling Lafayette about being a draft dodger who lost all his friends including his best friend in the Vietnam War, almost getting killed by his late best friend's father when he tried to pay his respects and getting saved/turned by his maker are things that I don't think Jess knows about, which is fine with me because I think that James and Lala have more chemistry anyway. I also think that Jess is way more serious James than vice versa. James is a hippie and as a rule, hippies and monogamy don't mix, whether they're human or vamp, especially the latter.

Re Jason/Violet, while I usually don't have a problem with seeing Jason naked, I hate that it's wasted on the likes of Violet, someone who exploits, bullies and humiliates Jason every chance she gets. Instead of letting Jason do his job re questioning the vigilantes, Violet not only interfered in police business, she threatened the suspects, exposing Jason to a potential lawsuit and threatening his career.  The last thing Jason needs is another psycho bitch who pushes him around, no matter how good the sex is.

Alcide and Sam are a disgrace to wolves and dogs with their non-existant tracking skills.

I disagree. Alcide saved Sookie from the H-vamp who smelled her at the mixer and while Alcide and Sam's noses are strong, they can't smell all the way to Shreveport, where the hostages are.

Edited by DollEyes

... Ehh.. Dolleyes, consider the context. Jason is in no danger of being sued, because bon temp is being ignored by the larger government. He *is* in danger from the vigilantes, because, again, Bon Temp is being ignored by the government. Violet backed him up. Sure, she could have been more sensitive about it, but being verbally abusive to the idiots until they went away is as minimal force as was likely to work in that situation. She could have glamoured them, she could have disarmed them, she could have killed them. Calling them out on compensating for their tiny dicks was the very height of restraint, and it worked. 

(edited)

... Ehh.. Dolleyes, consider the context. Jason is in no danger of being sued, because bon temp is being ignored by the larger government. He *is* in danger from the vigilantes, because, again, Bon Temp is being ignored by the government. Violet backed him up. Sure, she could have been more sensitive about it, but being verbally abusive to the idiots until they went away is as minimal force as was likely to work in that situation. She could have glamoured them, she could have disarmed them, she could have killed them. Calling them out on compensating for their tiny dicks was the very height of restraint, and it worked. 

I just hope it doesn't take long for Violet to either die or find some other reason to leave Jason alone. I don't want him back with Jessica, since I while I didn't hate the pairing, I don't think it's right for either of them. Jessica, as a vampire, is too young to be all about monogamy... and I just feel like Jason would be better suited to a human partner who isn't psycho. Where he's going to find that, I'm not sure...

And speaking to an earlier post about Adilyn/Andy/Jessica... I don't think forgiveness is really the goal, since something like that would be very hard to forgive, and Jessica knows that. Lives were lost, no matter the circumstance, no matter that it was mostly an accidental out of control killing, it was still a killing. I don't expect things to ever be the same for Andy when it comes to Jessica (and Bill) but I would like to see them at least all reach a place of some sort of mutual- we're not friends, but we can live in the same town and act appropriately and let the hatred and anger go for our own piece of mind sort of thing.... (If that makes any sense)  Especially if Jessica continues to put her life on the line to protect Adilyn and along with Bill works to save Holly and the others of the town... it can't undo what's already happened, but it's, IMO, a step in the right direction.

Edited by Jjrmt

I just hope it doesn't take long for Violet to either die or find some other reason to leave Jason alone.

A thousand times this, what a waste of time Violet is, it was a stupid plot last season, it's a stupid plot this season, it's a stupid plot for the last season.

• Love 1
(edited)

(killing off a character who's had a major role since minute five of the episode one off screen has to be the biggest slap in the face ever)

It looks like they must have hired whoever wrote the series finale of Medium. I'm still peeved about that one three years later.

Edited by NeenerNeener
  • Love 3

.And speaking to an earlier post about Adilyn/Andy/Jessica... I don't think forgiveness is really the goal, since something like that would be very hard to forgive, and Jessica knows that. Lives were lost, no matter the circumstance, no matter that it was mostly an accidental out of control killing, it was still a killing. I don't expect things to ever be the same for Andy when it comes to Jessica (and Bill) but I would like to see them at least all reach a place of some sort of mutual- we're not friends, but we can live in the same town and act appropriately and let the hatred and anger go for our own piece of mind sort of thing.... (If that makes any sense)  Especially if Jessica continues to put her life on the line to protect Adilyn and along with Bill works to save Holly and the others of the town... it can't undo what's already happened, but it's, IMO, a step in the right direction.

This is pretty much the only storyline I'm looking forward too and I'm giving all the credit to DAW, CB and the girl who plays Adilyn (I swear I spell her name differently every time. Heh) Jessica is one of the few characters who actually seems to feel remorse for the awful things she does and I don't get the sense that she's doing it to even the scales or make up for Killing Adalyn's sisters. I feel like she's doing it because it's the decent thing to do and I also think she understand that Andy will probably (and understandably) never forgive her for killing his girls.

All I really want at this point are a bunch of scenes with Deborah Ann Woll and Chris Bauer and whatever the actress who plays Adalyn's name is. This plot is my liferaft right now and I'm vaguely optimistic about it and yet.......knowing these writers they'll fuck it all up by episode 3.   

• Love 1

All I really want at this point are a bunch of scenes with Deborah Ann Woll and Chris Bauer and whatever the actress who plays Adalyn's name is. This plot is my liferaft right now and I'm vaguely optimistic about it and yet.......knowing these writers they'll fuck it all up by episode 3.   

That plotline definitely has potential - but personally, I really could have done without the "I know you came very close to killing me recently, and that you killed all my sisters, but you seem nice so let's talk about boys!" stuff.

• Love 1

That plotline definitely has potential - but personally, I really could have done without the "I know you came very close to killing me recently, and that you killed all my sisters, but you seem nice so let's talk about boys!" stuff.

I guess that just goes to show how desperate Bon Temps is for some teenage-ish supernatural girls... Had the circumstances been different- like say Andy only had 1 fairy daughter (cause 4 new characters that are almost exactly the same would have sucked, and 3 of them would have needed to die somehow anyway) and no deaths been involved, I think Jessica would have been a good candidate for the BFFs thing, assuming she could continue to keep herself under control.  She and Adilyn have a lot in common as far as being very sheltered and naïve and suddenly thrown into a harsh world. Of course Adilyn's story is a little different since her 'sheltered'- ness is because she grew up in 2 weeks.

I do wonder what she's been up to in the past 6 months. Has Andy kept her stuck at home? Has she gotten much chance to hang out with Sookie, since they're the only known fairies in the area...

• Love 1

Ehh, Dolleyes, consider the context. Jason is in no danger of being sued, because bon temps is being ignored by the larger government. He *is* in danger from the vigilantes because again, Bon Temps is ignored by the government. Violet backed him up. Sure, she could have been more sensitive about it, but being verbally abusive to the idiots until they went away is as minimal force as is likely to work in that situation. She could have glamoured them, she could have disarmed them, she could have killed them. Calling them out on compensating for their tiny dicks was the height of restraint, and it worked.

I respectfully disagree. First of all, I did consider the context. Just because the Feds might be ignoring Bon Temps that doesn't mean that local government has ceased to exist. It may be small, but it's still there, otherwise Sam wouldn't be Mayor. Violet's dissing the male morons and their dicks didn't just affect them; it affected Jason. Violet may have saved Jason, but she humiliated him in the process.  Violet's getting the vigilantes to back off was basically dumb luck, the way I see it. They could have been wearing anti-glamouring contacts, their guns could have had wooden bullets and they could have given her the True Death-which IMO, is a great idea, since I can't stand her.

I am well and truly over this show, and am only hate-watching from now on until the bitter end. The season premiere makes me absolutely not care for any of the characters. There was zero dramatic tension and it looks like they are just going through the motions now. Please kill off Violet soon, she is the most detestable character on the show ever, and she can take James, Tara's mother, Sam's girlfriend, and the annoying wannabe mayor and his posse with her.

• Love 2

Not a bad opening episode but somewhat lacking though.

Tara got a seriously crap exit. If that was her final moment, then it was badly misjudged and lacked every emotional punch going. Pam didn't even feel it though.

Can this show stop having it's moronic townspeople blaming Sookie for vampires? She's only slept with two of them (okay three) for crying out loud.

Liked the scenes with Bill/Andy, Jessica/Adilyn and James/Lafayette in this episode, some good insight into James as well, character wise.

Not too concerned about Arlene/Holly/Nicole. I'm sure they'll be rescued in no time.

Vince is like Burrell, minus the charisma that character had though he's going to be an obvious thorn in the side for Sam though.

Sookie and Alcide don't seem like they're going to last either, do they?

Pam in Marrakesh was alright. I hope they don't drag out the Eric thing too much though.

Nice to see Willa being nice to Lettie Mae/Reverend Daniels and vice versa.

Jason/Violet - meh. 7/10