Type keyword(s) to search

S15.E01: Battle of Kings

• Start Topic

Wow.  That whole triangle of stuffing on top of each other was Disco contrivance at its absolute worst.  Glad to know they all had time for such nonsense.  Fishing must not have been difficult this season.

Keith needs to take acting lessons.  His little "my way or the highway" routine in the restaurant with Mouse was laughable.

I have always enjoyed Mandy's arc.   I can't help my self but to root for her. 

ETA: No more Bon Jovi?  Booooooooo! 

Edited by Lonesome Rhodes
  • Love 8

Okay. We've got Griffin the vitamin boy with the doctor parents and the sneaky exit and Erik the chihuahua boy on the Summer Bay.  There is simply no way those two are not producer relatives who wanted a taste of the show for their own.  No way do I believe Bill would hire either little princeling unless they were producer picks.  I do admit I kind of like Rico but I worry about him on the boat.

I always liked Keith but he is pure asshole lately. 

• Love 7

Yeah sure they had time to play games with each others pots.    I was kinda rooting for the Brenna A though.    Captain Sean was right.   Those old guys get their knickers in a knot if anyone even breathes in the direction of their pots.   But setting on someone else, especially the younger guys, you bet they would do it in a heart beat.   Jake, not so much rooting for  him.   He was too out for revenge for being "wronged."   

I like Rico but I also worry about him on that boat.   Captain Bill seems to be keeping him close too.   "I would have yelled at him too" to the dog after the dog yapped about the slow greenhorn.   The new new greenhorn is going to last one run.   The next time he is back at the dock, he will be placed on the dock and told to try something else in life.

• Love 3

I absolutely KNEW that Monte was going to come walking up to the Wizard the second before she left the dock.  Knew it.  And was very disappointed that he did.

I once met someone in Homer who knows the captains.  She described Keith as "nasty."  I think she was being kind.

• Love 10

So their whole way of dealing with the Edgar problem is to pretend he never existed? Does anyone know if he is actually on the boat or not? I thought there might have been a glimpse of part of someone extra on the Northwestern in the biting the heads off the cod scene, but I couldn't be sure.

• Love 2

I love Monte and loathe Keith. I am glad to see Monte and think Keith takes advantage of him and does not give him the credit he deserves. 

Still love Sean.

I like Rico but worry about him.

Good ole Bill just doing his own shit.

• Love 5

He sexually assaulted a 16 year old. I'm guessing they will just pretend he never existed. 

ETA... Anyone else think Wild Bill hired the perpetually late deck hand just for the dog? He needs a boat dog. 

Dammit. And I  really liked Edgar too. 

Bill definitely is liking having Rico aboard and he is good company for him. However since chihuahuas have trouble maintaining body heat in cold weather the Bering Sea during the cold season seems a poor place for him. Not to mention all the hazards he can fall prey to.  I do like him though.  He'd better come through the season (or however long Erik lasts) unharmed.

• Love 2

Josh is a waste of protoplasm.  He's still spouting general statements that he hopes sound like he knows what he's doing.  Speaking of knowing what he's doing, how many years has he been going out on boats?  And how much has he actually learned?  You have to try really hard to remain that ignorant.

Mandy is a good addition to the Northwestern.  Sig is genuinely trying to teach her, she's working hard and not performing for the cameras, and she's got an eagle eye on HIM regarding his health.  Good all around.

• Love 9
8 hours ago, smores said:

Edgar is apparently on the boat, but he's not being shown:

https://www.distractify.com/p/where-is-edgar-deadliest-catch

I'm not sure how I feel about this, honestly.  I have always liked the Northwestern, and I don't want to see Matt or Nick screwed because of Edgar's crimes, but it just doesn't sit quite right that it's business as usual and we just pretend he's not there either.  

I don't think they are being screwed because of Edgar.  The NW is still fishing and they are still getting their cut.  Maybe they are getting more of a cut from DC because Edgar is no longer shown.  In the end, the NW is a business and one that Edgar is a major player in.  It would be easy to film around him, send him to the engine room.  Look at all the years that Norman managed not to be shown on the boat when he was there.

Another way to look at it with Edgar, as long as he is out fishing, he can't get into trouble.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, iluvobx said:

I don't think they are being screwed because of Edgar.  The NW is still fishing and they are still getting their cut.  Maybe they are getting more of a cut from DC because Edgar is no longer shown.  In the end, the NW is a business and one that Edgar is a major player in.  It would be easy to film around him, send him to the engine room.  Look at all the years that Norman managed not to be shown on the boat when he was there.

Another way to look at it with Edgar, as long as he is out fishing, he can't get into trouble.

No, I don't think they are getting screwed right now because of him, I meant that I have conflicting feelings about the boat being on the show but hiding Edgar.  If the boat was just off the show due to his actions, because Edgar is going to fish regardless and Discovery refuses to have anything to do with him, then, Matt and Nick would be screwed because the potentially the choice would be screw Discovery, Edgar is fishing.  But, instead, it appears that Discovery is fine with just pretending that Edgar doesn't exist, and I'm not sure how I feel about that.  It seems like the only actual punishment he got for what he did was not being able to be on tv.

Wow.  Given his history, I am very surprised he was allowed out of state.

I am not at all surprised the Hansens would use him, though. 

I bet Christo had one helluva an internal debate as to how to handle it.  He may have been shot down by senior Disco management.  I also wonder if Disco asked the NW/Hansen's to not put Edgar aboard and got told what they could do with such a suggestion.

On 4/12/2019 at 11:05 AM, smores said:

No, I don't think they are getting screwed right now because of him, I meant that I have conflicting feelings about the boat being on the show but hiding Edgar.  If the boat was just off the show due to his actions, because Edgar is going to fish regardless and Discovery refuses to have anything to do with him, then, Matt and Nick would be screwed because the potentially the choice would be screw Discovery, Edgar is fishing.  But, instead, it appears that Discovery is fine with just pretending that Edgar doesn't exist, and I'm not sure how I feel about that.  It seems like the only actual punishment he got for what he did was not being able to be on tv.

I would have no problem with Disco cutting the Northwestern.   I’d respect that decision.    Keeping Edgar on the ship and not filming him is chicken sh*t.  They can still fish without Being on DC and still make money.   Better yet,  continue to be on the show and have Edgar stay home.   JMPO. 

• Love 4

There was something truly refreshing about seeing a young female face amid all the grizzled assholes on my screen.  

I like Mandy's serious approach to her job, the polar opposite of the rehearsed antics between Keith, Jake and Sean.   "You set on my pots!" "Well, you boxed me in so I'm gonna weld your pots together!"  "Oh, you're a funny scoundrel, Captain Keith, you got us good!   Haha, let's all be on our merry way!"

I guess after forty-eight seasons Discovery can't milk the "Will Josh ever be a real captain?" drama anymore so they had to set a new bar for him: the prospect of a million dollar quota.   Will Josh (Casey) catch enough crabs to win the elusive million dollar quota?   Oh, the suspense is killing me (insert eye-roll).  Wanna bet a hundo he does?

I thought of the Chihuahua when I saw this story today:

Dog saved by worker on oil rig, 135 miles off Thai coast

I don't know how Bill reconciles using Rico as a therapy dog while swearing his head off at Rico's owner, Eric.

And I don't buy that Bill was out to sea before anyone realized that Griffin wasn't aboard.   If that was actually the case, then he and the crew and Discovery were grossly negligent.  

Edited by millennium
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, millennium said:

I guess after forty-eight seasons Discovery can't milk the "Will Josh ever be a real captain?" drama anymore so they had to set a new bar for him: the prospect of a million dollar quota.

I realized last night that Captain Phil has been dead 9 years.   I think if Josh were going to get his Captain's license and be serious about the Cornelia Marie it would have happened in that time.   Say what you will about Jake A ( and there is plenty to say), in 2010 he said he wanted to be a captain and run a boat.   Well, he's doing that.   How well he is doing is another thing.   But at least he doesn't have the real captain on the boat while he sits and smokes in the wheelhouse.

• Love 5