Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E18: Rectify

wknt3
  • Start Topic

Frank must decide whether to implement a more rigorous fitness test for the NYPD after an incident where Officer Witten's backup physically could not keep up with a chase. Also, Danny is hesitant to pursue a cold case after learning who the original detective was; Anthony begs Erin to stall a murder trial so he can gather more evidence; and Eddie is vexed by Jamie's disapproval of her joining a fraternal organization.

For real. I think we were supposed to believe that that was all about Jamie's fear that Eddie would come to harm, like Joe did, but it felt like he was just being controlling. Also, I don't get what their plan is for when the whole precinct finds out they are a couple and she is "a Reagan." Everybody is going to be mad and feel like Eddie was spying on them for the boss the whole time. It's weird. 

• Love 11

I didn't think this episode had much to say for itself. I don't see what Frank sees in Officer Witten, and I don't see what the show-runners see in that actress. They had a perfectly good opportunity to bring a black character to the forefront with Maya, but no. They make her a dirty cop. I always enjoy seeing Frank interact with Sid and Garret and Baker. Blackmailing the union rep with his fat photo and his medical info was bizarre, though. It will annoy the hell out of fans that had gastric by-pass, as well. The notion that weight loss surgery is an easy out is completely wrong-headed. The Jamie-and-Eddie story line gets dumber every week. I have always liked them together, but this week I decided they should break up. Although next week, when Frank meets Eddie's mother, does look like it's going to be fun. The Anthony story was great, and I thought he and the kid were very believable together. And I learned that fennel seed is what I don't like about some Italian sausage. I think this has been the worst season of the show by a mile. I keep hoping the writing will bounce back, but it doesn't. Poor Tom Selleck looks so unhealthy. He has the "moon face" you can get when you are taking steroids for arthritis or other health issues. He hasn't gained weight in his body, but his face is a puff ball, which was incongruous with tonight's episode. Bless his heart, we didn't see a lot of him this week, and he never came out from behind his desk or the dining table. As Season 8 drew to a close last Spring, I was on pins and needles hoping there would be a season 9. That's not true this year.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, preeya said:

Run, Edie Run!

^^^^this. I can here to say the same thing. Jamie needs to take several seats. 

And again, how bad are the cops in Jamie’s precinct that no one know the Sarg and Eddie are engaged?  

I do hope we get to see Anthony and his foster child. ❤️

The DA is a cartoon villain

and Erin...what’s happening to her

sorry for the random thoughts, but that’s how the show is getting....

• Love 6

I'm confused - I thought regular fitness tests were mandatory (at least for cops on the beat). Of course I got that deep knowledge from watching 'Mike & Molly'. Could it be that the CPD is ahead of New York's finest? 

No idea what Jamie and Eddie's plot was about. So far nobody knows that they are dating so nobody can take advantage of Eddie being a Reagan-in-training. Or do people know? Or is the show trying to have its cake and eat it? Though I did enjoy Eddie asking for valid excuses to skip Sunday dinner, he!

Anthony and the foster kid were sweet. And I have no idea why the show is wasting Aasif Mandvi on such a cartoon villain character. (He fares better on 'Younger' just like Peter Hermann.)

• Love 4

This is the first time I've even been able to pay attention to Danny's story.  It wasn't half bad.

I'm glad they had Danny explain to Eddie, because I thought that was extremely out of character.  We also don't get that much Danny/Eddie interaction, so that was kind of nice. And, it was nice that Jamie just calmly explained to Eddie what he was thinking at the end.

Erin's story, which was really Anthony's.  That was sad. I feel bad for the kid, but of course the murderer has to be punished.  And, I can't understand why Erin was trying to talk Anthony out of helping him at the end. I also can't understand why everyone was so against Anthony doing due diligence.  Isn't it the idea to make sure that you are actually charging the right person. And, also that you aren't surprised by anything down the road.  It doesn't make much sense to quelch investigation.

Frank's story.  I was annoyed with the whole "fat shaming" context.  It had nothing to do with being fat.  If an officer were fat but could still run up the stairs and jump the fences and keep up during a chase, there would be no problem.  Danny made an interesting point at the end, though.  Maybe you could have different levels for different jobs.  A beat cop will have to be in better shape than a detective who would need to be in better shape than a hostage negotiator.  

• Love 5
1 hour ago, MissLucas said:

No idea what Jamie and Eddie's plot was about. So far nobody knows that they are dating so nobody can take advantage of Eddie being a Reagan-in-training. Or do people know? Or is the show trying to have its cake and eat it? Though I did enjoy Eddie asking for valid excuses to skip Sunday dinner, he!

I think Jamie just meant that once they were married people would know. But, my goodness, just tell people already.  It's already too late, but the longer you wait the more you're going to be treated with suspicion.  And nobody ever sees Jamie and Eddie out and about together?  They were eating at a restaurant.  Doing laundry at a laundromat.  Things they do on a regular basis.  

I think the show should have them just get caught and get it over with already.  Or, just have them make a announcement.  Either way.  Just do it.

• Love 2

The whole deal with out-of-shape cops being bad for the cops union was weird. If I'm a union cop, I want my fellow officer to be in shape to help protect me by being by my side running, etc not being gasping for air.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, rhys said:

The whole deal with out-of-shape cops being bad for the cops union was weird. If I'm a union cop, I want my fellow officer to be in shape to help protect me by being by my side running, etc not being gasping for air.

And what was the deal with the pic they showed of the union President?  So what, he was fat and had surgery, why would membership even care about it?  

• Love 4

Jamie supposedly was afraid for Eddie because she wanted to play on the women officers softball team?  Seriously?  He was comparing that to the danger his brother faced when he joined the secretive Blue Templar society?

Let's be real.  He was trying to control her behavior.  The sooner she learns to stand up to him, the better.  And not just by having her brother-in-law speak for her.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, TV Diva Queen said:

And what was the deal with the pic they showed of the union President?  So what, he was fat and had surgery, why would membership even care about it?  

it kind of reminded me of Legally Blonde when that woman wouldn't give her alibi to her husband's murder because she was getting liposuction.  She'd rather go to jail.  At least that made slight sense since she was an fitness guru, or whatever, but yeah, I don't really see this as a blackmailable instance in the case of the union rep

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Katy M said:

it kind of reminded me of Legally Blonde when that woman wouldn't give her alibi to her husband's murder because she was getting liposuction.  She'd rather go to jail.  At least that made slight sense since she was an fitness guru, or whatever, but yeah, I don't really see this as a blackmailable instance in the case of the union rep

Freaking hilarious. At least I was on the right track, but wasn’t clever enough to use your example!!

• Love 2
(edited)
14 hours ago, TV Diva Queen said:

The DA is a cartoon villain

Hee! I tend to root for him, because I love Aasif Mandvi. Every time he appears on this show I tend to go down the rabbit hole of his Daily Show segments. 

Uh Jamie, sometimes a softball game is just a softball game and nothing nefarious. 

I have to admit I loved Eddie asking what would get her out of the Sunday dinners. If I had to eat with the Reagan clan I would be chugging wine straight out of the bottle.

Edited by Misslindsey
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4
18 hours ago, buckboard said:

Jamie supposedly was afraid for Eddie because she wanted to play on the women officers softball team?  Seriously? 

Jamie freaking out over the softball team was so out of character, but everything they're writing for Jamie this season is completely off the wall.   Real Jamie would be pissed if a sergeant was secretly engaged to of his patrol officers.  It's like invasion of the body snatchers. 

• Love 9

They are writing themselves into a giant hole with the secret engagement plot. So out of character as well as not following the rules of the show and the NYPD. And I count myself a Jamie/Eddie fan. They could have handled it so differently by having her serve elsewhere. 

• Love 2
On 4/6/2019 at 11:07 AM, MissLucas said:

I'm confused - I thought regular fitness tests were mandatory (at least for cops on the beat). Of course I got that deep knowledge from watching 'Mike & Molly'. Could it be that the CPD is ahead of New York's finest?

They aren't in most departments actually for a variety of reasons, good and bad. This is a plot "ripped from the headlines" as a better written police procedural might put it - https://nypost.com/2018/02/18/fat-cops-are-weighing-down-the-nypd/

On 4/6/2019 at 11:07 AM, MissLucas said:

Anthony and the foster kid were sweet. And I have no idea why the show is wasting Aasif Mandvi on such a cartoon villain character. (He fares better on 'Younger' just like Peter Hermann.)

I agree. This was the only plot I remained even slightly interested in, mostly because the actors managed to pull it off through sheer force of personality and will. And this show wastes all sorts of great actors, just because they can. I mean it's good that these great NYC actors are getting some nice checks, but it's a shame that they can't come up with some material that's worthy of the cast

On 4/6/2019 at 12:28 PM, Katy M said:

Frank's story.  I was annoyed with the whole "fat shaming" context.  It had nothing to do with being fat.  If an officer were fat but could still run up the stairs and jump the fences and keep up during a chase, there would be no problem.  Danny made an interesting point at the end, though.  Maybe you could have different levels for different jobs.  A beat cop will have to be in better shape than a detective who would need to be in better shape than a hostage negotiator.  

Agreed although there all sorts of administrative issues that complicate things very quickly. And when Danny is the logical level headed one, it shows how badly the writing has gone astray.

18 hours ago, Misslindsey said:

I have to admit I loved Eddie asking what would get her out of the Sunday dinners. If I had to eat with the Reagan clan I would be chugging wine straight out of the bottle.

Really. With all that good scotch handy? Your restraint is commendable. (Or your profile pic is appropriate.)

24 minutes ago, GussieK said:

They are writing themselves into a giant hole with the secret engagement plot. So out of character as well as not following the rules of the show and the NYPD. And I count myself a Jamie/Eddie fan. They could have handled it so differently by having her serve elsewhere. 

In a season where the writing has gone from bad to worse to incomprehensible this is probably the worst of all. They can't seem to figure out what the heck they are doing. One moment they need to keep it a secret, one moment it's no big deal. And somehow Jamie and Frank are OK with a supervisor romantically involved with someone in their command? What a waste of Jamie's long overdue promotion.

• Love 2

this episode touched on a major pet peeve of mine: FAT cops. And by fat, I mean morbidly obese. As in topping the scales at 300+ lbs. for patrol cops. You would not believe what I see on the streets of NYC. And there is no annual physical (or psychological) exam required so they are free to weigh as much as they want and keep their jobs. It's an embarrassment and dangerous. I look at these men and women and think 'how the hell are you going to stop a fleeing suspect? I mean, if he happens to run right past you, I guess you could trip him and sit on him. But there's no way you're running after anyone.'

But the Post is correct that a physical mandate would have to be written into the contract and there's no way the rank and file are going to agree to that.

On ‎4‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 10:01 AM, TV Diva Queen said:

I do hope we get to see Anthony and his foster child

I do not claim to know the process for becoming a foster parent, so someone who has more insight that I do fill me in on how someone can apply and get approved so fast as Anthony did?  I do not think that much 'real time' went by on the show to indicate that several weeks/months went by.  Aren't there certain conditions a person has to meet to be a foster parent (same as adoptive parents)?  I may be wrong here, but even those wanting to adopt go through a rigorous vetting process - right down to their health/medical issues.  Heck, the process to foster/adopt a shelter dog on Pitbulls & Parolees seems more strict.

Anthony's a detective who is gone all day and lives in an apartment (not sure if that matters, but I would think these agencies take living arrangements into consideration, however a 16 year old boy may not require a big yard to play in as would a toddler)  I'm not buying the timing, nor a single guy whose away from home all day and sometimes has to take off in the middle of dinner if he has to, being approved to foster a teenager.  Unless, the system is that desperate for anyone to take in a troubled teen.

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, ctlady said:

I do not claim to know the process for becoming a foster parent, so someone who has more insight that I do fill me in on how someone can apply and get approved so fast as Anthony did?  I do not think that much 'real time' went by on the show to indicate that several weeks/months went by.  Aren't there certain conditions a person has to meet to be a foster parent (same as adoptive parents)?  I may be wrong here, but even those wanting to adopt go through a rigorous vetting process - right down to their health/medical issues.  Heck, the process to foster/adopt a shelter dog on Pitbulls & Parolees seems more strict.

Anthony's a detective who is gone all day and lives in an apartment (not sure if that matters, but I would think these agencies take living arrangements into consideration, however a 16 year old boy may not require a big yard to play in as would a toddler)  I'm not buying the timing, nor a single guy whose away from home all day and sometimes has to take off in the middle of dinner if he has to, being approved to foster a teenager.  Unless, the system is that desperate for anyone to take in a troubled teen.

Did he say he was becoming the kid's foster parent? I thought he was just getting involved.  But, no, it would take longer than that.  I had a single friend who wanted to be a foster parent, and they said they would like her to quit her job so she could be home all day.  Plus, her house was no where up to their stringent codes.  I heard of a family who was denied being a foster family because they didn't have a railing on their porch.   It's a very rigorous screening process with a lot of red tape and rules.

The apartment wouldn't matter as long as the foster child would have his/her own room.  Fosters are not allowed to share.

And, again, I'm sure some of this is regional and there are different rules, different places.

• Love 1

This show has been one of my favorites for quite a while but the writers are testing my patience with the absurd storylines each week.

1. Story arcs that involve all four main characters each week doesn't give decent stories time to develop.

2. I'm feed up with the rigidity of Frank. Tom Selleck has been one of my favorite actors but his mannerisms have gotten old.

3. The Jamie and Eddie might be the worst of all. It's not practical much less believable that the NYPD would EVER allow something like this to happen. Work together yes but supervise you finance and soon to be spouse, I don't think so. And no one in that precinct has a clue is sheer ludicrous.

4. Love Anthony but Erin has gotten to be a bitch. If I was Anthony I'd tell her to shove it.

5. Danny is Danny. Hard to believe the NYPD doesn't make him shave.

• Love 5
On 4/6/2019 at 12:28 PM, Katy M said:

I was trying to find a way to say something like this. There is a difference between physical appearance and health. Someone can be healthy but not look like a Men's Health/Swimsuit model. I felt like the episode was conflating the two (appearance=health.) 

Normally Jamie is more trusting while Danny is more skeptical of people's motives. It was strange to watch Jamie see a hidden agenda or motive in something as simple as a women's softball league.   

• Love 1
On 4/8/2019 at 9:57 AM, Katy M said:

Did he say he was becoming the kid's foster parent? I thought he was just getting involved.  But, no, it would take longer than that.  I had a single friend who wanted to be a foster parent, and they said they would like her to quit her job so she could be home all day.  Plus, her house was no where up to their stringent codes.  I heard of a family who was denied being a foster family because they didn't have a railing on their porch.   It's a very rigorous screening process with a lot of red tape and rules.

The apartment wouldn't matter as long as the foster child would have his/her own room.  Fosters are not allowed to share.

And, again, I'm sure some of this is regional and there are different rules, different places.

They left out that Anthony has a daughter. He must have visitation with her. If he wants a foster kid, no problem, but he should have at least made mention of his daughter. 

On 4/9/2019 at 8:36 PM, GussieK said:

I agree the foster parent vetting can't be right--what, he pulled strings to get approved quickly?  But I like the idea that he was going to do it and I look forward to seeing him interact with the kid.  

They did the same thing when Danny’s woman boss applied. Yo either adopt or foster a baby whose mom was killed and dad committed suicide.