Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E20: Nerd Watching

12 hours ago, Concerned said:

The fantasy music video sequences were great, particularly with Evan.

They were entertaining.  Although it makes me sad to think how hip hop has replaced rock as the "cool" music.

9 hours ago, biakbiak said:

I hate Jessica so much that I found it hard to believe that she would care about Emory findinghos passion or want to encourage him being interested in philanthropy.

Well, she didn't care when he was line dancing in the bar, so maybe you're not being too harsh on her.

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, rmontro said:

Well, she didn't care when he was line dancing in the bar, so maybe you're not being too harsh on her.

Did we ever see her find about that rather than just part of a list? And she mocked his choice of acting as soon as she found out about it.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 2
11 hours ago, biakbiak said:

I hate Jessica so much that I found it hard to believe that she would care about Emory findinghos passion or want to encourage him being interested in philanthropy.

Jessica's treatment of her children makes me mad. Emory used to be one of the golden children but now that his character's dumbed down and floundering in what he wants to do in life, she's just as contemptuous of him as she is to Eddie. She's not doing her favorite, Evan, any favors either.

• Love 5
5 hours ago, Robert Lynch said:

Those 90s inspired music videos were so much fun. Evan really blended in with those cosplay videos. They even got the color scheme quality right.

Honestly, the production looked amazing.  The Biggie video was perfection.

BTW the character's name is spelled Emery.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

This show is set 25 years ago....

Not too far, but it is really 20 years ago. They tend to mess with the time like That 70's Show did but they should really be in 1999 right now just based on references. You've Got Mail was released in Dec 1998 for instance.

I liked the stuff with Eddy and Evan. The videos were great as were the music choices. Also got a laugh that grandma was the real scammer. 

• Love 2

Yes, the show started in 1995, and we're in the 5th season, so I get that.  Eddie has always been presented as a fan of hip hop, since the first episode, and even the show's theme song is hip hop, so I just found it funny that someone said that it was "sad" that hip-hop has replaced rock as the reference for "cool" music (???) when this show, in its inception, is set 25 years ago.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 5

Loved all the video remakes - especially Evan.  He was amazing in the Biggie video.

Watching Emery in the Waterfalls video, I could totally see him in an Asian boy band.

• Love 10
On 3/30/2019 at 6:22 PM, Ms Blue Jay said:

I just found it funny that someone said that it was "sad" that hip-hop has replaced rock as the reference for "cool" music (???) when this show, in its inception, is set 25 years ago.

I said that, and I still don't see why that statement is seen as odd.  Hip hop replaced rock as the "cool" music at least 25 years ago.  As far as I can tell, that standard still holds true today.  Rock died out around the same time - not died out completely, but died out insofar as being the main force in popular music, and has never recovered.  This episode reminded me of that, and it makes me sad.  Why is that so funny? 

Yes, this show has always featured hip hop (which is unsurprising, considering that it is set in the '90s).  But this episode, with the multiple videos featured it more prominently than others. 

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, rmontro said:

I said that, and I still don't see why that statement is seen as odd.  Hip hop replaced rock as the "cool" music at least 25 years ago.  As far as I can tell, that standard still holds true today.  Rock died out around the same time - not died out completely, but died out insofar as being the main force in popular music, and has never recovered.  This episode reminded me of that, and it makes me sad.  Why is that so funny? 

Yes, this show has always featured hip hop (which is unsurprising, considering that it is set in the '90s).  But this episode, with the multiple videos featured it more prominently than others. 

You're sad about a particular genre being thought of as cool 25 years ago.  Yes, that's funny to me.  And why should hip hop being thought of as cool make you sad, but not rock?  

• Love 3
(edited)
53 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

You're sad about a particular genre being thought of as cool 25 years ago.  Yes, that's funny to me.  And why should hip hop being thought of as cool make you sad, but not rock?  

Because I'm an old rocker, whose time has come and gone.

It has nothing to do with hip hop.  I'm sad that rock fell from its place of prominence, it doesn't matter what replaced it.  It could have been replaced with opera, the effect would be the same.  It's just a reminder of how we all face our own mortality and becoming obsolete sooner or later.

I remember the big stereos people used to have, and how important the fidelity of the music was that they listened to.  Now people listen to it on their phones.

Edited by rmontro
  • Love 4
(edited)

Those music videos were amazing, they just nailed that weirdly specific 90s video aesthetic! The ending with Jessica and Louis getting into it was great, as was the Biggie one, but its all about Waterfalls. The looks was really well captured, but the biggest highlight was Grandma Jenny as Left Eye. She even had the band aid under her eye!

That song isnt just about HIV Eddie, its about a ton of stuff!

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 6
On 4/1/2019 at 9:59 AM, joanne3482 said:

Because I'm completely ignorant of Rap & R&B culture, the man who sat next to Evan at the mall.  Is he someone famous? Or just a random extra? 

It sure seems like he should be someone important -- it looked like a cameo, otherwise why would some random guy even be there all up in Evan's personal space? I asked my hip-hop-loving BF and he didn't know. 

Maybe I wasn't paying attention but I was lost in the grandma subplot.  So Emery was pretending to participate in grandma's scam since he was pursuing acting?  I also didn't get what Jessica and Louis were even doing in their "investigation".   Did Jessica also contribute money?

I had mixed feelings about the Evan and Eddie storyline.  It was nice Evan actually apologized for something though I also didn't buy his newfound appreciation of rap.  

The grandma was the highlight of the faux videos.