Type keyword(s) to search

Mötley Crüe: The Dirt (2019)

• Start Topic

This is better than I thought it would be (I'm about halfway through)...although it may be due to my nostalgia of being a teen in the mid to late 80's when they were popular. As for the casting, the guy who plays Mick Mars is too good looking and Vince Neil reminds me more of C.C. DeVille from Poison.

• Love 4
On 3/22/2019 at 4:01 AM, Armchair Critic said:

This is better than I thought it would be (I'm about halfway through)...although it may be due to my nostalgia of being a teen in the mid to late 80's when they were popular. As for the casting, the guy who plays Mick Mars is too good looking and Vince Neil reminds me more of C.C. DeVille from Poison.

At points, later in the movie, especially the Skylar/Vince scenes, he looks eerily like Kurt Cobain.

• Love 2

❤️ Motley Crue!! Saw them during their final tour (unfortunately Tommy's drum coaster, the Cruecifly, didn't work but it was still a great show). The book was definitely better than the biopic, but fun to watch nonetheless. 

The guy playing Mick Mars looked like a young Ray Liotta - not a close match. I think the casting was way off for Vince too. Of course, I did spend countless hours staring at Motley Crue posters hung with love on my bedroom walls in the mid-80s.

Edited by QQQQ
  • Love 3

The husband and I watched this over the weekend and it was pretty enjoyable. I can't stand Machine Gun Kelly's music, but I thought he did a great job as Tommy Lee. Douglas Booth as Nikki Sixx was good as well. 

• Love 2

Not a Motley Crue fan but a fan of bio-pics; especially anything 80s-related.  I found this to be enjoyable enough.  The campy, lighthearted take was a good way to handle the heavy, dark material.  And breaking the 4th wall and talking to the camera doesn't always work well but in this case it did. 

Apart from the highly enjoyable Grumpy Mick Mars character, Machine Gun Kelly stole the movie.  I don't know how much acting the guy has done previously but he had a ton of charisma and enough acting talent to pull off this role.  I was unfamiliar with Douglas Booth prior to this but must say he was super hot in this. 

The Ozzy scene was total cringe.  And the guys revealed themselves to be giant assholes for the most part, but I appreciate that they acknowledged such at the end.  Oh, and the fact that Tommy Lee came from such a seemingly normal suburban family really struck me as funny and gave me a good chuckle. 

• Love 8
On 3/25/2019 at 9:43 AM, Cementhead said:

Not a Motley Crue fan but a fan of bio-pics; especially anything 80s-related.  I found this to be enjoyable enough.  The campy, lighthearted take was a good way to handle the heavy, dark material.  And breaking the 4th wall and talking to the camera doesn't always work well but in this case it did. 

Apart from the highly enjoyable Grumpy Mick Mars character, Machine Gun Kelly stole the movie.  I don't know how much acting the guy has done previously but he had a ton of charisma and enough acting talent to pull off this role.  I was unfamiliar with Douglas Booth prior to this but must say he was super hot in this. 

The Ozzy scene was total cringe.  And the guys revealed themselves to be giant assholes for the most part, but I appreciate that they acknowledged such at the end.  Oh, and the fact that Tommy Lee came from such a seemingly normal suburban family really struck me as funny and gave me a good chuckle. 

I agree - I was born in 1965, remembered the Crue very well although I admit I was not a big fan.  My takeaways:

Cracked me up that Tommy Lee is from Happy Suburban Family - MGK did a great job of capturing Tommy's energy. I read he auditioned multiple times for both the Nikki Sixx role and Tommy's role.

Mick Mars had all the best lines

Nikki Sixx came across as a mix of determined and basically a good guy who just wanted to be in a band.  Mommy issues galore!

Vince Neil got, in my opinion, a great deal as I always thought he was kind of a tool in real life.  14 days for killing someone aside, he struck me as a preening front man back in the day.

I was not a coke head but did drink socially in clubs back in the mid  to late 80's ( I was legal!) and this move brought it all back!!  I was like "Let's go out!!!" after seeing this.  Instead I went to bed.  At 10pm on  Saturday night, lol!!!  (Full disclosure:  I never partied like these folks.....I was pretty tame!!!!)

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
On 3/25/2019 at 7:43 AM, Cementhead said:

I agree with all of this, although I was a little more moved by Douglas Booth's performance. Tommy seemed to have the least amount of drama, so that part was going to be more playful (and was great at it).   Douglas Booth really made me feel for Nikki, in spite of how obnoxious he was (they all were).   But, man, that scene where Vince broke down over his daughter?  I got teary.  I remember him writing an article for People about his experience, and my heart ached for him when he wrote that he often wondered if what happened was God's punishment for how he had lead his life. 

Jesus, did this take me back!  1987, 18 years old, the Sunset Strip.  I was never that crazy kind of partier, but none of it surprised me.  It was wild. 

• Love 5

Finished it and yeah, it was fun..had some moments....a fluff film for the most part...As a girl, I got a bit tired of the use of naked girls everywhere. Yeah, we get it, you're a Netflix film so you can do that but sheesh....add a bit more substance as the band to seem more about partying than music.

• Love 2

I enjoyed it.  Wasn’t a huge fan of them  but really like bio pics.  I was a freshman in HS when Dr. Feelgood came out so that is what I remember the most. (8th and 9 grade was when I was in my heavy metal phase).  

• Love 2

Yes, out of the four, the actor playing Mick Mars wasn't as physically close to the real life man, but jesus. Who would be? That was one odd little alien looking guy. 

It's truly a guilty pleasure. They were a guilty pleasure in the 80's, and this movie is now. I made sure the shades were drawn when I watched it, so the neighbors wouldn't see. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

Just watched today.  Mick Mars was played by Ramsey Bolton, lol.  No wonder he had the best lines.  Still, what he had to go through physically, yet was able to play all those shows.

MGK did a great job as Tommy.

Just amazing the crap they got away with, all that destruction.  

and yes the band put on a hella good show.  

• Love 1

I'm about 15 minutes into this movie & the sound is driving me crazy. When people talk, the sound is so low I have to turn it way up, but when there's music, it's blasts so loud I have to turn it down. Why can't they keep the sound consistent?

• Love 2