Type keyword(s) to search

The Nightly Show With Larry Wilmore in the Media

Comedy Central just issued this press release. Of course, "Bugle" podcast fans will also know Rory from his occasional appearances as "The American."

RORY ALBANESE TAPPED AS AN EXECUTIVE PRODUCER OF "THE MINORITY REPORT WITH LARRY WILMORE"

NEW YORK, July 16, 2014 – Rory Albanese has been named an Executive Producer of Comedy Central's next great late night franchise "The Minority Report with Larry Wilmore." Previously, Albanese was Executive Producer of "The Daily Show" from 2009-2013 and held various posts during his 14 year tenure. Hosted by Emmy® Award-winning Larry Wilmore, "The Minority Report" will be a comedic look at news, current events and pop culture from unique perspectives not typically on display in late night television. "The Minority Report with Larry Wilmore" was created by Jon Stewart and will be produced by Stewart's Busboy Productions with Stewart, Wilmore and Albanese serving as Executive Producers.

• Love 1

From the NY Daily News, here is a short interview with Larry Wilmore:

“Being on the East Coast, it is easier to get guests in politics and some social areas we are going to be talking about,” says Wilmore. “It won’t be a celebrity-driven show as much as a political-social type of show.”

And don’t expect “Minority Report” to be a knockoff of Colbert’s hit show, although both are produced by “Daily Show” host Jon Stewart.

“It’s very early on, and we have had some discussions with Jon Stewart about it, and we have talked about what it is we want to do, and we will start very simple,” says Wilmore.

“The show is really about having a conversation, and we will start with a simple idea and we will grow from that. I feel the pressure the night before the first show and I will feel my performer’s jitters,” says Wilmore. “At this stage it is very exciting to think about the things we are going to do.”

"The Minority Report" has hired its head writer:

An accomplished writer, actress, sketch and improvisational comedian (Second City, Improv Olympic), Robin Thede (@robinthede) has written for multiple series including “The Queen Latifah Show” and “Real Husbands of Hollywood,” as well as numerous award shows including the BET Awards and the NAACP Image Awards.
  • Love 1

Our moderator will need to change the title of this forum, 'cause it's no longer titled "The Minority Report" (apparently the producers of the Tom Cruise movie are doing a TV pilot based on the film). It's now "The Nightly Show with Larry Wilmore" and is set to debut Jan. 19. Lots more info in this NY Times article.

The main thrust will be to examine issues from the point of view of the underdog. In that way, the title change is probably a good one, he said.

“It was never intended to be a show only about minorities,” Mr. Wilmore said. “It’s a show about underdogs, and that happens in a lot of different forms, whether it’s race, gender, or whatever.”

From Comedy Central: a press release announcing 3 contributors to TNS.

Shenaz Treasury is a popular Bollywood actor, writer, TV host, and travel and cultural reporter who has lived and worked all over the globe.  She began her career with MTV Asia and became a household name in India at the age of sixteen.  She was nominated for a Filmfare Award for her first Bollywood film “Ishq Vishk,” which went on to be an Asia-wide box office phenomenon.  Her film “Delhi Belly” was the biggest hit of 2011 in India, and was one of the top ten films on iTunes that year.  She also wrote, produced and hosted the series “Culture Shock” on the Travel Channel.  Four years ago, she immigrated to the U.S.

Ricky Velez is a stand-up comedian who was born and raised in Queens.  Last month he was named “New York’s Funniest” by the New York Comedy Festival and one of Comedy Central’s “Comics to Watch.”  He is repped by UTA and 3Arts.

Originally from St. Croix in the U.S. Virgin Islands, Mike Yard is a New York City based stand-up comedian who regularly headlines at clubs across the country. Yard was also the stand-up winner of Comedy Central’s “Get Up Stand Up” online competition and performed with Greg Giraldo in Jamaica.  His television appearances include Comedy Central’s “Inside Amy Schumer” and “Live at Gotham,” HBO’s “Def Comedy Jam” produced by Russell Simmons, “The Apollo Comedy Hour” and BET’s “Comic View.”

Nice article about TNS from New York Magazine's Vulture.com.

As they nail down the final assignments for the mock show they’re staging the following week, Jon Stewart, creator and executive producer of The Nightly Show, slides into a chair next to Wilmore at the front of the room. Stewart surveys the board of ideas. He seems pensive, grave, not because he’s concerned but because he seems to revere and cherish the work going on in this room. Wilmore rehearses the highlights of the meeting for Stewart, refining a lot of the jokes on the fly. He talks about how they can use the wild and absurd to get to the serious, before destroying the room with an impression of Fat Albert admonishing his creator Cosby. “Hey, hey, hey,” Wilmore grunts, “rape’s not okay.”
  • Love 1

Article today from The Wall Street Journal.

Mr. Wilmore expects that kind of cool, deadpan satire to mix with his personal opinions and emotions on “The Nightly Show.,” especially in the panel discussions that will unfold “without a net.” When asked what news has made him mad lately, he replies, “Where do we start?” He draws a comparison to Mr. Colbert, who retired his shtick as a faux-conservative blowhard when “The Colbert Report” ended. “In fact Stephen and I are doing very similar things,” Mr. Wilmore says. “We’re going from doing characters to really being more of ourselves.”

According to wiki:

In fall 2002, the series [The Bernie Mac Show] aired against the Damon Wayans comedy My Wife and Kids which may have hurt the show's momentum in the ratings during the first half of its second season run. Larry Wilmore, the show's creator and executive producer, was fired at this time. In interviews, Wilmore said he was fed up with the network's creative interference with the show, in addition to Fox constantly shuffling it around the schedule. Fox contended that it wasn't happy with the show's direction under Wilmore in the second season, claiming the show "wasn't delivering enough laughs". With The Bernie Mac Show 's inability to topple My Wife and Kids in the Wednesday 8 p.m. timeslot, Fox eventually aired the show after American Idol, after which it received its highest ratings ever.

• Love 1

At Comedy Central, Larry Wilmore’s ‘Nightly Show’ Finds Its Own (Offbeat) Rhythm (Variety)

In the course of about three and a half months on the air, producers have turned “Nightly” into a sort of laboratory, where one of the few constant elements is the show’s willingness to rip up the playbook.  A debate moderated by host Larry Wilmore among four panelists now takes place among three, and Rory Albanese, the show’s executive producer, suggests further testing of an even smaller group is not out of the question.
  • Love 1

What I learned from going to tapings of every late-night show (Slate.com)

Poor Wilmore is still learning the ropes, so you can hardly blame him for botching some segments. But still, the flubs meant that each segment—his monologue, his interviews, and his end-of-show wrap-up—had to be immediately repeated. “Pretend you’ve never heard the jokes before and laugh louder,” a stagehand suggested. What stands out most when you watch the show live is its lack of fluidity. It’s just waiting … re-taping … waiting again.
  • Love 2

Larry Wilmore's "The Nightly Show," the satirical news show that followed Stewart's "Daily Show" since January, had a huge drop in viewership the week after Stewart signed off on August 6.

In the weeks since Stewart went off the air, Wilmore's numbers have been plunging.
In the first week following Stewart's sign off, the Comedy Central telecast saw its live weekly average audience drop roughly 40% from 918,000 viewers to an average audience of just 525,000, according to Nielsen.

During the second week without Stewart's lead-in, Wilmore's numbers fell to an average of 452,000 viewers. That week included a show that had only 394,000 viewers, the least watched show Wilmore has ever had.

Wilmore's current ratings are also significantly lower than his total live average of 713,000 since taking over seven months ago.

Ouch.

I guess some of that could be a relfection on how shaky the show was when it first started.  I contend it has gotten better, and had it started out this way from the beginning, they would most likely have more viewership.

But those current numbers ain't good.  Wonder how they will shake out when Trevor takes over.

I'm not surprised, I think TDS was running higher than before Jon announced his departure for some time now.

I think some of it can also be attributed to the fact that it's following re-runs, and I'm sure they're accounting for a drop for at a few months while TDSwTN gets underway.

In Larry's defense, in the past, if the 11PM telecast was a rerun, the 11:30 one would be as well. I don't think there was EVER a new "Colbert Report" following a "Daily Show" rerun. So if you turn on Comedy Central at 11 and see a repeat, why would you stick around?

It is interesting that Comedy Central opted to move "@Midnight" to 11 following the summer hiatus rather than "The Nightly Show," though. I think Comedy Central is going to give the Noah/Wilmore bloc a good long time to get established before anybody panics. Though the cynical side of me wonders if Trevor Noah taking over TDS would make it easier for them to fire Larry -- at least CC wouldn't have to worry about the optics of dumping "their only Black host."

• Love 1

The ratings are not very good. I looked at the ratings for TDS and TCR from exactly a year ago, and TDS had an average of 1.287 million viewers (vs. 770,000 in 2015) and TCR had 1.031 million (vs. 480,000 in 2015). I realize that you can't capture lightning in a bottle the way they did with Stewart & Colbert, but if things don't improve during the run-up to the 2016 election (I imagine Comedy Central's not going to mess with the Noah/Wilmore combination until that's over), I wonder if they'll reevaluate that time slot.

I think TNS has improved so much that I hope some of the people who stopped watching after the shaky first couple of months give it another try. As a middle-aged white lady, I think it's fantastic that the panel often features 2 or 3 people of color; it gives me a perspective I don't get elsewhere and I think it's incredibly valuable that these often-marginalized-by-the-MSM voices have an outlet. But I wonder if some viewers find that off-putting. (Adult Swim has 3 times as many viewers as TNS, so maybe people just prefer cartoons at that hour.)

• Love 1

As someone who watches TDS online (my thoughts on TDS are in the TDS thread) and doesn't watch TNS at all, I think Wilmore is going to be gone after his 2016 contract is up.  And I don't think it has anything to do with the quality of the show (again, I haven't watched TNS so I can't offer an opinion there).  Reasons:

1. TDS ratings are down since Stewart's departure, so the lead-in is worse than it was.  I don't think Noah's ratings are going to go up all that much over the next year.  So not only is TNS not getting the TDS fans, there are just fewer TDS fans to get.

2. Colbert fans are probably not watching TNS at 11:30 because they're watching, well, Colbert.  And I don't see any indication that Colbert is going to lose the Late Show gig any time soon.

2a. In general, there is a lot of competition at the 11:30 slot.  It's amazing that Colbert did as well as he did.

3. Even if the show is improving, and continues to improve, not many folks are tuning in to notice.  In general, it seems that if a show starts off poorly and fans tune out, it is very difficult to improve the ratings even if the quality is better.

Best hope is that TDS and TNS both get a big boost during the elections, but I have my doubts it will happen.  I think TDS will survive (even if Noah gets the boot), but TNS is getting half as many viewers and doesn't have 20 years of history behind it.

I think TNS has improved so much that I hope some of the people who stopped watching after the shaky first couple of months give it another try.

You must be talking to me.  I quit watching in the first week and started up again 2 months ago. The panel can be very uneven but usually the rest of the show is spot on.

• Love 1

I think a better comparison would be to when TCR first started and same with TDS, or at least immediately after JS started hosting.  I would expect it took both shows some time to develop the large audience they ended with.  Frankly, even if the numbers never quite get to the heights of their predecessors, I love how we are getting a different perspective with the different hosts, one that you don't get in nearly all the other late night shows.

An appearance not everyone may know about. Larry appeared on the most recent episode of Neil deGrasse Tyson's StarTalk TV show (there's also a podcast/radio show, and presumably Larry was on that too, probably some time in the past since a lot of the interviews are the same between the two shows).

Comedy Central press release:

Presidential candidate and U.S. Senator Bernie Sanders (D-VT) is scheduled to make his third appearance on "The Nightly Show with Larry Wilmore" tomorrow, Tuesday, January 5. Sen. Sanders will participate in a one-on-one interview with Larry Wilmore and will also appear as a panelist. "The Nightly Show with Larry Wilmore" airs weeknights at 11:30 p.m. ET/PT following "The Daily Show" on Comedy Central.
  • Love 1

I wish someone would revive this show in a hybrid with the Totally Biased people. And put it on HBO where John Oliver is thriving I would finally subscribe to HBO if they did this. Or pair it with Sam Bee's show on TBS. Blockbuster night for passionate political junkies with terminal insomnia!

Boy if Comedy Central wanted more online buzz for TNS they should have cancelled it a long time ago! Tons of stories all over the place, but I just had to share this one http://money.cnn.com/2016/08/19/media/larry-wilmore-last-nightly-show/ because this paragraph made me laugh.

"He then proceeded to laud Wilmore, quoting an unnamed executive from his past in saying, 'Do not confuse cancellation with failure. What you were tasked to do, you have done, and done beautifully'."

I'd love to see David Letterman's reaction to be a called a network executive...