Type keyword(s) to search

Like, OMG!!!: Fashion and Beauty Pet Peeves

• Start Topic

What bugs you?  For me, it's OTT hair colour (like more than two shades, especially shades which don't exist in nature), clothes that just can't look good beyond the runway - or even ON the runway (I get that art is in the eye of the beholder, but still), and SPARKLE/glitter.  If you're older than 15, get that out of your face!!!

I sometimes feel the crazy hair color or color streak phase is overdone or trendy. Last month at work over 10 women had blue chunks or streaks and our store only has 200 full/part timers. 

I also think it’s weird when people wear the same thing literally everyday. Like the same color and type of pants. Same top, same vest or sweater, same boots/shoes. It reminds me of Scoobie Doo or the Simpsons characters but as a person. 

• Love 1

I wear the same type of pants to work most days, in either tan or black. I used to wear the same shoes (tan or black, depending on the pants that day), but my black pair is wearing out, and Rockport no longer makes that style of oxford for women. I vary the tops, although I tend to repeat a lot because they are my favorites, but once I found a style of pants I liked, I just bought enough for a week and have continued to buy them. I find it very difficult to find pants I like that fit well, have pockets, don't cost hundreds of dollars and are appropriate for work.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I'm in my lazy footwear season. My workplace has polished concrete floors. I also work downtown and am connected to a pedway system. The floors are tiles and are very slick for leather soled shoes. Even where I am, I currently stick to rubber soles - a lot less slick. With it being late winter/early spring, there is a lot of fine sand that makes its way in to the building and making the floors really slick. So easy to wipe out without realizing it.

I wear mostly cotton type leggings in the winter. I get eczema on my legs and torso, and I found that tights irritate the patches further. With tunics, dresses, etc.  I am not a huge pants person. Will wear jeans on casual Friday.

Now that the weather is changing, my clothing will change and my nice shoes will come out - probably by mid-April.

My coworkers dress adequately - some better than others. Some have the same type of outfit day in and day out. Nothing really stands out and I've never asked any of them where they bought their clothing. Many can do better but choose not to. Some claim to have 'double lives' in that they have totally different attire on weekends. Ran in to a couple of them on the 'weekend' and the clothing is exactly the same. No interest in wearing anything except what gets them through the day.  Hair that is unwashed/oily, no makeup, no anything.

On ‎3‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 9:00 AM, Petunia13 said:

I also think it’s weird when people wear the same thing literally everyday. Like the same color and type of pants. Same top, same vest or sweater, same boots/shoes. It reminds me of Scoobie Doo or the Simpsons characters but as a person. 

Uniform dressing for men and women has been gaining traction. Many people don't have much money left after paying for living expenses, school loans, medical/insurance, so uniform dressing becomes a necessity. There's also the turning away from conspicuous consumption and shopping only to replace a worn item beyond repair.

<shrug>

To each his/her own tastes and needs.

• Love 1

I hate having small feet.  Like small to the point that the smallest size doesn't fit (gee, THANKS, vanity sizing!!).  I went to a shoe pop-up for a locally designed brand.  My feet SLIPPED OUT OF THE SHOE!  Often, the smallest size is just a little bit too big.  Not for these guys.  UGH.

• Love 1
On 11/9/2019 at 3:08 PM, PRgal said:

I hate having small feet.  Like small to the point that the smallest size doesn't fit (gee, THANKS, vanity sizing!!).  I went to a shoe pop-up for a locally designed brand.  My feet SLIPPED OUT OF THE SHOE!  Often, the smallest size is just a little bit too big.  Not for these guys.  UGH.

Lol I know the grass is always greener, but I wish I had doll feet! I’m a tall girl with long legs, so I tell myself I’d look funny with small feet. But in truth I find little feet so much more feminine and pretty. I wear a size 8.5, so my feet aren’t the most gigantic. But unless the size 8.5 woman’s shoe is girly looking, it almost looks like a smaller guy’s shoe. Size 5 women’s shoes are always adorable! 

Edited by RealHousewife
2 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

Lol I know the grass is always greener, but I wish I had doll feet! I’m a tall girl with long legs, so I tell myself I’d look funny with small feet. But in truth I find little feet so much more feminine and pretty. I wear a size 8.5, so my feet aren’t the most gigantic. But unless the size 8.5 woman’s shoe is girly looking, it almost looks like a smaller guy’s shoe. Size 5 women’s shoes are always adorable! 

Except when they vanity size, so you're sized out of a brand.  And I have.  In fact, my feet are too small for at least 50% of shoe lines.  Maybe more.  I'm actually 4.5 with Stuart Weitzman.  

9 minutes ago, PRgal said:

Except when they vanity size, so you're sized out of a brand.  And I have.  In fact, my feet are too small for at least 50% of shoe lines.  Maybe more.  I'm actually 4.5 with Stuart Weitzman.  

Aw well I’m sorry it’s hard to shop, but I still wish I had your cute, petite feet. 🙂 

Ulta has raised the Platinum rewards membership amount again. You now have to spend $500.00 a year (last year was $450.00 & it used to be $400.00) to be a platinum member. It's ridiculous. And I just got their latest catalog, & there's no coupon on the back. For as long as I can remember there is always a $3.00 or $5.00 coupon on the back o the catalog, but this time, nothing. They are really getting cheap with the program.

• Love 1
12 minutes ago, GaT said:

Ulta has raised the Platinum rewards membership amount again. You now have to spend $500.00 a year (last year was $450.00 & it used to be $400.00) to be a platinum member. It's ridiculous. And I just got their latest catalog, & there's no coupon on the back. For as long as I can remember there is always a $3.00 or $5.00 coupon on the back o the catalog, but this time, nothing. They are really getting cheap with the program.

Sephora's even more stingy. I'm like a kid in a candy store at Sephora, but if the same brand is sold at Ulta, I just go there so I can earn points to shop with.  

1 minute ago, RealHousewife said:

Sephora's even more stingy. I'm like a kid in a candy store at Sephora, but if the same brand is sold at Ulta, I just go there so I can earn points to shop with.  

I stopped shopping at Sephora years ago because their reward program sucked. I don't want you to give me a list of little kits that you have decided I should buy, I want to use my points on the things that I actually want. But I will admit Sephora has much better samples.

• Love 2
On 12/29/2019 at 12:26 AM, GaT said:

I stopped shopping at Sephora years ago because their reward program sucked. I don't want you to give me a list of little kits that you have decided I should buy, I want to use my points on the things that I actually want. But I will admit Sephora has much better samples.

I shop at Sephora mostly because their salespeople don't seem to bug me.  I guess I show up enough for them to see me as a familiar face and not bother.  Upscale department stores sometimes give me the "Pretty Woman" treatment - especially Mandarin speaking clerks (they seem to become ruder to me once they realize I'm non-Mandarin speaking and ESPECIALLY because I'm an Anglophone of East Asian heritage.  It's because we stereotypically don't spend as much and they would therefore get less commission.  It's apparently something many non-Mandarin speaking East Asians have had to deal with.  I don't seem to get that in the fashion department, but it's probably because I stick with contemporary rather than the super-lux sections).  

On 11/9/2019 at 1:08 PM, PRgal said:

My grandmother was a true 4.5 (she was 4'10"), and had a very hard time finding nicer/dress shoes, back in the days before online shopping as it was.

1 hour ago, caitmcg said:

My grandmother was a true 4.5 (she was 4'10"), and had a very hard time finding nicer/dress shoes, back in the days before online shopping as it was.

Aw I wish I were so petite! I think tiny women are so cute and feminine. 

59 minutes ago, RealHousewife said:

Aw I wish I were so petite! I think tiny women are so cute and feminine. 

Trust me, being "cute" is the last thing we want to be.  We don't want to be equated with...little girls.  

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, PRgal said:

Trust me, being "cute" is the last thing we want to be.  We don't want to be equated with...little girls.  

The grass is always greener. I’m not gigantically tall, but I am still taller than a lot of men out there. I love high heels, but they make me close to six feet. I don’t like my shoes almost looking like men’s shoes. I get a lot of attention from men (including short ones, which always surprises me), but I still hear a lot about how men prefer petite women. They feel more masculine around and protective of small women. The list goes on. I have longer legs and stand out more than my shorter friends, which can be good or bad depending on the situation. 

Edited by RealHousewife
On 11/9/2019 at 4:08 PM, PRgal said:

I have small feet too (5.5m). I've found ordering online helpful. If you like espadrilles, Tom's has lots of small sizes Talbot's carries smaller sizes (& has pretty dress shoes).

• Love 1

I wear a size 10, and I find a lot of selection online, with Zappos, or Amazon.    I do have to know what size I wear with the brand though. 

So many shoe places only get a few of each size, and often don't have the colors I want, so online works better for me.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama

Ugh, I'm in the small-foot club, about a 5.5, which is a difficult size to find. With boots, it's fine--I just go to a 6 and wear big socks. But open styles that are not meant for socks are a problem; a ballet flat will just fly right off if you swing your leg!

Current peeve:  it’s been a looong time since I purchased foundation.  I used to use Prescriptives when I wore anything at all.  When they decided to leave the Beauty counter market, I purchased multiple bottles of what I used.  They still have something of an online presence, but my old color is not available and apparently long gone.  

I learned about https://findation.com and tried to use it, but entered in a product with a similar name, or number to what I used to use.  It was not at all similar (several shades off).  Apparently, all of the cosmetic purveyors I’ve browsed online use this site, as the cookies keep automatically recommending the wrong shades of products.  Grr....

I swear every shade of foundation, lipstick, and any other makeup gets discontinued as soon as I find one I love.        

Also, why do the hair product people keep changing the formulas on products?   I get the Design Line (Regis) Olive Oil shampoo, just bought some, and the smell is a little stronger, and the ingredients are in a different order, meaning they have different amounts for some reason.    I don't like really scented shampoos and products, and the Olive Oil is one type that worked for me, but wasn't reeking of flowers or other scents.  

I really like going to the stores like Ulta, or Sephora that carry a lot of brands, and where the sales people know all of the product lines.    When Clinique's wand concealer wasn't working for me (it would get very thick, and I didn't like that), one of the Ulta sales people suggested another brand that works better, and covers without looking like I plastered it on. 

• Love 1
On 9/26/2020 at 6:16 PM, CrazyInAlabama said:

I swear every shade of foundation, lipstick, and any other makeup gets discontinued as soon as I find one I love.        

Also, why do the hair product people keep changing the formulas on products?   I get the Design Line (Regis) Olive Oil shampoo, just bought some, and the smell is a little stronger, and the ingredients are in a different order, meaning they have different amounts for some reason.    I don't like really scented shampoos and products, and the Olive Oil is one type that worked for me, but wasn't reeking of flowers or other scents.  

I really like going to the stores like Ulta, or Sephora that carry a lot of brands, and where the sales people know all of the product lines.    When Clinique's wand concealer wasn't working for me (it would get very thick, and I didn't like that), one of the Ulta sales people suggested another brand that works better, and covers without looking like I plastered it on. 

And because Sephora/Ulta sells so many different brands, the salespeople are less likely to be pushy on any particular item.  They tend to be knowledgable about the differences as well.  And, I don't have to deal with #shoppingwhileanglophone (a pushy Mandarin-speaking saleswoman at a luxury boutique became really b!tchy with me after I spoke English back to her.  She assumed I was a Mandarin speaker (I DO speak (limited) Chinese, but it's Cantonese) and either didn't want to speak English to another Asian or assumed that I wouldn't spend as much as someone who was from Mainland China.  I bet she'd be b!tchy to a Mandarin speaker whose background was from Taiwan as well).  Thankfully, that lady is no longer at the store.  

• Love 2

I want to support local boutiques over department stores and other chains, but there are some cons to it. I'm someone who window shops quite a bit before purchasing. If you're a regular shopper, you'd go broke if you never left a store empty-handed. I always feel like boutique workers notice you more, pay more attention and try harder to get a sale. I also can be iffy at times, and the return policies at boutiques tend to suck. When I shop at a mall for an event, sometimes I'll purchase two or three dresses then return whatever I don't end up wearing. I recently got a vaccine, but I was really disappointed by one of the boutiques I used to frequent. None of the girls ever wore masks, even at the height of the pandemic. I didn't usually run into this issue when I shop at Nordstrom and whatnot. 

Edited by RealHousewife
  • Love 1
On 12/27/2019 at 1:13 PM, RealHousewife said:

Size 7.5 is OK, but it's so popular they're sometimes sold out! I can just fit into the largest child's shoe size, though and have bought the same boot in that size.