Type keyword(s) to search

Gravity Falls - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I knew of the twitter feed and the song, but just checked out the site. Embedded twitter feed and youtube videos aside, that site feels like it was pulled right out of 1998. The midi loops you can't turn off was such a perfect touch.

And so, stuff about the new episode!

So the Mayor is finally dead. It had to happen eventually.

"Everyone in this town is a tad strange. Except for, ironically, Tad Strange." I don't trust that guy.

Loved seeing Stan get meme'd into the "One does not simply..." macro.

I really missed Gideon so much. Figures that he still had a journal page on him, and that it was the ONE thing that related to the episode! What luck. Can we say how awesome Stephen Root is for pulling off acting like Lil Gideon?

So Tyler ended up winning the election. Called it.

So Gideon knew of the Wheel and is gonna summon Bill Cipher again. What happens next? Find out September 7th! A new episode every two/three weeks is better than a few months.

"Mabel, wait. Maybe Grunkle Stan isn't the best candidate for Mayor, in fact he's committing voter fraud right now."

"So what would you do about the crime in Gravity Falls?" "Crime in general or the crime that specifically relates to m-" {Phone cut by Dipper}

• Love 1

Poor Stan. He just wants some love and to be accepted :(. He's just so darn insecure, especially when it comes to his brother.

You could see how much it stung when he found out about Dipper and Mabel controlling him and that his brother so easily provided the means of doing it. I'm surprised Mabel jumped on the mind control bandwagon so fast.

I love it when Stan punches stuff. This week it was eagles.

And of course Stan gets disqualified for his criminal record.

Glad to see Li'l Gideon again. He might be right about the Pines twins being more evil than the last time he saw them. Anyway, he's up to something big. Were the symbols in a different order on the Cipher wheel that he drew?

Loved Mabel's monkey sweater.

• Love 1

Glad to see Li'l Gideon again. He might be right about the Pines twins being more evil than the last time he saw them. Anyway, he's up to something big. Were the symbols in a different order on the Cipher wheel that he drew?

Yep! In fact, here's a side by side comparison:

MaLylOF.png

Note that the six-fingered hand is now a journal, and the symbol that's on Stan's fez has been updated accordingly. We still don't know what the bag of ice or the llama mean, but there's some theories:

Ice: Could mean Wendy? There's the bag of ice from "The Inconveniencing," plus there was the ice pack Robbie gave Wendy in "The Time Traveler's Pig."

Llama: Llamas are nature's greatest warriors according to Wax Larry King's head. This episode also mentioned that Stan committed llamacide ("That llama knew too much."). Also, some folks are thinking it's for Pacifica, as a painting of a llama was spotted in her mansion.

As for the rest:

Pine tree: Dipper

Question Mark: Soos

Shooting Star: Mabel

Weird symbol that's on Stan's fez: Stan

Star with the eye: Gideon

Glasses: Ford

Broken heart: Robbie

Six-fingered hand: the journals

Also, Tad Strange was voiced by Cecil Baldwin. Aka the voice of Welcome to Night Vale. I knew there was something off about him...

*fangirling* !! I didn't even notice at all! I feel like I need to go watch his parts again. I think Tad was my favourite part of this episode. Maybe he had just hypnotised everyone with the Glow Cloud into thinking he was normal, too normal.

Overall, I found this episode meh. This season was meant to be heavily focused on Bill but we're only possibly seeing him half way through? And with Gideon again.. I really cannot stand Gideon so I would have been happy for him to have just disappeared without explanation... I know, it was never going to happen but one can hope. 

I wish we had more Ford, there was so much build up to the author and now he's here! and... Stan is jealous and that's about it. :(

• Love 1

Also, Tad Strange was voiced by Cecil Baldwin. Aka the voice of Welcome to Night Vale. I knew there was something off about him...

That rebel, with his wheat and wheat byproducts. I love how blatantly obvious it is that Alex Hirsch is just getting paid to be the biggest geek in the world and loving every minute of it.

I think the way they shot the two reveals in this one was pretty well done. We see Bud bathed in blue light that instantly calls Bill to mind, but it's not him. And then at the end, when you've forgotten about that little fakeout, comes the real Bill reveal. That's one of my favorite dirty tricks for TV to pull.

And now, for your enjoyment and edification, the freeze-frame list of Stan's crimes:

1st degree thermometer theft. pug trafficking. snacks evasion. pickpocketing. woodpecker baiting. impersonating a dentist. general indecency. golf cart theft. bingo fraud. telling jokes that just go on and on, I mean, I have things to do.

• Love 1

I loved that both Gideon and Dipper were controlling their candidates.  Gideon hit the nail on the head, Dipper has gotten more evil.  I'd still like to know how Gideon got the 2nd journal. 

I almost feel sorry for Stan.  I would feel sorry for him if his ego didn't always get in the way.  His issues with his brother, asking anyone for help, and admitting that he was wrong about anything are ruining his chances of improving himself.  Of course, having a criminal record the size of a dictionary doesn't help matters much. 

So, once again, Gideon is going back to Bill.  Bill's going to have a high price this time for Gideon after Gideon dropped his last deal.  I am looking forward to Bill vs. Ford.  Their last encounter must have been interesting.

Edited by phane00

I loved that both Gideon and Dipper were controlling their candidates. Gideon hit the nail on the head, Dipper has gotten more evil. I'd still like to know how Gideon got the 2nd journal.

I almost feel sorry for Stan. I would feel sorry for him if his ego didn't always get in the way. His issues with his brother, asking anyone for help, and admitting that he was wrong about anything are ruining his chances of improving himself. Of course, having a criminal record the size of a dictionary doesn't help matters much.

Don't forget that Mabel participated in the mind control too! They've both gotten more evil.

And that's what I like most about Stan. He acts before he thinks most of the time, but he doesn't typically mean to cause trouble in those instances. I think he will eventually break out of the cycle though. And he just loves the twins so much. ;_;

I still can't believe Ford just nonchalantly gave Dipper a mind control tie to control his own brother. His crazy science/supernatural obsession seems to be one of his greatest flaws in my opinion.

• Love 1
So, once again, Gideon is going back to Bill.  Bill's going to have a high price this time for Gideon after Gideon dropped his last deal.  I am looking forward to Bill vs. Ford.  Their last encounter must have been interesting.

I'm actually looking forward to Gideon discovering Ford's existence and his inevitable freakout about Ford destroying the portal. Maybe that small rift in the snowglobe will play a part?

• Love 1

Don't forget that Mabel participated in the mind control too! They've both gotten more evil.

Dipper has gotten more evil, while Mabel has never really been that good.  Look at all of the things she's done in the past for some boyfriend of the moment.  She kidnapped Sever'l Times, stole Dipper's journal for a puppet show, backstabbed Grenda and Candy at the Northwest party, stole a love potion just to pair Robbie with Tandry, and almost killed Blendin in GlobNarr.  She's always had a nasty streak. 

So...another great episode. Ford encountering Bill (again) was going to be awesome.

That whole reveal with Bill's plan with Ford was screwed up. I thought Bill lured Dipper into a trap, and that Dipper erasing Ford's mind wouldn't work due to the metal plate in his head.

"Whoa, don't have a heart attack! You're not 92 yet!" Not surprised that Bill casually mentioned Ford's death. He also called Ford "Sixer," meaning the hand on the wheel.

So just about every person in town ran through Bill's eye for his next target, but I'm guessing it'll be Gideon. Could also be McGucket or a non-Pines like Wendy or Candy.

Ha, I love that Stan is smuggling the pugs mentioned in the last episode. His appearance right at the end was gold.

I figured Mabel wouldn't be Pure of Heart. I thought it would turn out that Wendy or Grenda would be pure, but that unicorns didn't have that ability at all? Wasn't expecting that.

Next time: Road Trip! Airs September 21st!

Edited by Galileo908

Great episode! The unicorn's voice had me cracking up. The girls were awesome in this episode too. Punching unicorns and stuff.

Loved how we got to see the pug trafficking.

So we finally know a little more about Bill and Ford. Poor Dipper! I was worried the mind erasing gun was going to end up bouncing back and hitting him instead.

So it looks like Bill can still visit Ford when he sleeps? But not when he's awake? It'll be easy for Bill to possess someone on the outside of the shack.

Gideon's already working with(for) Bill, who noted that he'd been making deals.  That's what that golden glow at the end of the last episode meant - that Gideon was summoning Bill.

I believe that protection around the Mystery Shack meant that not only would it prevent Bill from possessing people while they were inside, it would also eject him from them if they entered the place.  Otherwise, the protection would be useless since Bill could just possess anyone once they left the Shack.

Bill's probable plan is to possess someone and apparently trustworthy and use them to convince someone in the Shack (like Soos or Wendy) to get the orb and bring it outside for Bill to use.

Is it weird that I think Wendy or Grenda could represent the llama on the Cipher wheel?

I know it seems to be a common consensus that Wendy is the ice and Pacifica is the llama based on visual clues, but I feel like their symbols could easily be swapped. Wendy has become an awesome warrior of sorts and seems to be acting more aggressive this season, while Pacifica seems more like the "ice queen" type (which is currently defrosting). I don't know.

I feel like Grenda would better fit the llama than Pacifica at this point too. But then Candy would be left out of the trio, so I doubt Grenda would be on the wheel.

Great episode! The unicorn's voice had me cracking up.

Me too! It sort of reminded me of a bad impersonation of Miss Piggy.

Loved the Jumanji shout out.

I was wondering who it was, and then it hit me: it's Sam Marin, who voices Pops, Muscle Man and Benson on Regular Show. There was quite a bit of Pops in that voice.

My personal favorite board game was "Shh, Don't Wake Stalin!"

And speaking of the ending, anyone else finding it odd that while this episode ended with the barrier being put up, the next episode is about a road trip?

BTW, here are the two translated codes from the end of the episode:

The one at the end of the credits: A SIMPLE MAN WITH EAGER EARS MAY TRUST THE WHISPERS THAT HE HEARS

And the journal page post credits: IN CIPHER'S GAME HE NEEDS A PAWN BE SURE TO KNOW WHICH SIDE YOU'RE ON

This episode was a riot. I cracked up at so many little things. The faun playing an SOS on the panpipes when they knocked out C-Belle! Stan's perfect random appearance at the end! Wendy's "we're women, not unicorns!" speech needs to go down in history.

So I'm sure everyone who's ever dipped into the pony side of children's programming noticed that between the rainbow mane and the blue diamond rump, C-Belle was Princess Celestia's head on Rarity's body. But did you know that that very combination is a known factory error that's highly sought after by toy collectors? Probably a coincidence, but what a hoot it would be if it wasn't.

And now, for your delight and compiled by my best friend, some freeze-frame jokes.

Dipper's thoughts (just the ones not related to what he was saying out loud):

"Man I can't believe I'm with the author!"
"Gosh, I hope no one was looking!"

"Maybe if I cross my legs, no one will notice!"

"I could probably rob a bank."
"I miss Tyrone!"
"That red bathing suit, man!"

"Who stole the capers?"

The last one is a reference to the mystery novel he was reading in an earlier episode. The third one... this show gets away with a lot.

Mabel's list of good deeds (that we didn't see):

Massage Waddles

Sponsor Clown
Water Tulips
Take Out Trash
 Wash Soos
 Scratch Waddles
 Polish Tyler's Boots
 Abolish Electoral College
 Clean Gutter
 Polish Shack Floor
 Mowed Dan's Lawn

Mabel's list of potential future good deeds:

Sharpen Stan's Pencils
Fill Honey Jar
Knit Soos A Scarf
Brush Cat

• Love 1

Mabel sure is efficient. She managed to abolish the electoral college of all things, an she's only twelve!

Tabbyclaw, I agree that the dozens of little things is what made this episode so great. It had an excellent mix of comedy and drama between the A plot and B plot.

The code at the end of the episode (involving a simple man) makes me think that maybe it'll be Soos who falls prey to Bill possession or manipulation. Soos definitely fits the "simple man" part. Or Stan. Soos or Stan.

*here's a vid of a longer "Mabel does good deeds" montage that they had to cut from the episode:

https://twitter.com/emmycic/status/641444297141784576

I liked the part where she hunted down the garbage man just for that recyclable bottle. Lol! The fear in the garbage man's eyes! I wonder if she's done that before. Also, the Soos cereal good deed was awesome. He looked so happy!!!

Edited by HoodlumSheep
  • Love 1

The third one... this show gets away with a lot.

My child thought it was the most adult episode they've ever done, particularly since Grenda double-crossed the gnome with a crooked cop. 

That video of extra Mabel deeds was fantastic! 

I love this show so, so much.

With this episode and the Dungeons episode, Grenda has quickly became one of my new favorites, along with Wendy. Right behind Mabel and Stan. Sorry Dipper and McGucket, you've dropped down a peg or two. :P

It's pretty impressive what the've managed to slip in this season. Grenda killed an ogre and made a pact with Stan to tell no one, Grenda chloroformed a faun, and they slipped in a parody of a drug bust with the gnome, as well as plenty of other things. I'm happy that they're getting away with it.

Edited by HoodlumSheep

I loved this episode.  I rather liked that Mabel was trying to maintain her sweet, innocent side, but, once she learned that she was being played by the very creature she admired, embraced the dark side.  Technically, C-belle did make several good points, but that's no reason to be a douche about them.  I wonder if Candy got her lick in.

Good to know that Ford did have a past with Bill, and he got a bit too far down the rabbit hole.  But he did try to stop him, just not as effectively as Dipper.  Looks like Bill is going to Gideon to go full dark side.  I would still like to know how Gideon managed to get the second journal from outside the shack.

One final point: Grenda.  Why is she getting such a push lately?  In the first half of the season she and Candy were semi-recurring characters, like most of them outside the shack.  Lately, she's been getting more screen time than Wendy or Soos, she's been in every episode since Ford's arrival.  I like her, but not so much to overshadow so many other characters at the same level.  Poor Candy got shafted.  Bring back Pacifica, Wendy's crew, and McGucket. 

• Love 1

The Mystery Shack's biggest prank competitor? The Biggest Ball of Twine in Minnesota, er, Oregon. Yeah, no surprise that both of Stan's rivals are evil as hell.

Mystery Mountain really does look great, spider people, mummies and all. Hell, their Muffler Man is even better than Gravity Falls'!

I liked that this episode was about Dipper learning to be more confident and finally getting over Wendy. Will this stick? Hopefully.

So, is this the reason Wendy isn't around anymore? I miss seeing her.

Someone mentioned in last episodes thread that Grenda has been around a lot and so we're getting another episode with her. I personally like Candy better so was happy to have her along for the ride.

So Stan was divorced once? Hmmm...theories, theories...

Anyways, hopefully that finally puts the Wendy crush stuff to rest. For good. Nice to see some Stan/Dipper bonding, and some mkre Candy. Grenda continues to be amazing. I liked Mabel's sweater.

I wonder if this episode was filler or one that they moved around in scheduling. This felt like it should have been shown before the Ford reveal.

So Stan was divorced once? Hmmm...theories, theories...

Anyways, hopefully that finally puts the Wendy crush stuff to rest. For good. Nice to see some Stan/Dipper bonding, and some mkre Candy. Grenda continues to be amazing. I liked Mabel's sweater.

I wonder if this episode was filler or one that they moved around in scheduling. This felt like it should have been shown before the Ford reveal.

I think it fits.  They've just Bill-proofed the shack and we've learned that Wendy is still very much on Dipper's mind.  Also, at the end of the summer Stan and the Mystery Shack are going away so Ford can get his life back.  This seems like an appropriate time for Stan to take a last chance to dish out some much-deserved revenge and take his grand-kids and their friends on a little road trip. 

Behold! The unicorn fight that got cut:

https://twitter.com/_alexhirsch/status/647185382086344704

Mabel got punched, grenda has a unicorn in a head lock, and candy ripped a unicorn's hair out. If anyone is wondering about Wendy's voice, it's Matt Braly.

Also a quick bit that didn't make it in:

https://twitter.com/radrappy/status/647183817111814145

I really wish they would make an extended/director's cut of this series.

Edited by HoodlumSheep

I managed to get into the Gravity Falls panel at NYCC and caught the cold open for this. Spoiler alert: Alex Hirsch wouldn't talk about spoilers.

So a UFO that crash landed millions of years ago is what Ford used to build the portal.

Can I say this about the last five minutes? Holy SHIIIIIIT. That was intense. Never trust Morty, er, Blendin. And you know, I wish we could explore more of Bill possessing a time traveler.

As I asked after the first episode of this show I ever watched: This is a kids' show? Scary, poignant, funny as hell, I'm with Mabel, I don't want the summer to end either.

At first I just thought Blendin was playing his own game, then when Mabel pulled out the rift, I figured it was Bill.

• Love 3