Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E09: The MVP

• Start Topic

Can’t say I got too many laughs out of this episode.  I think it would have been better if the entire episode was about the game and having the  WHOLE town including all the Roses involved playing against an Elmdale team. It seemed weird to have a rehearsal/meet n greet  without Patrick there. 

I did enjoy seeing Patrick in a sports uniform but Dan Levy looks like he has lost a bit of weight. 

• Love 4

I laughed at Alexis claiming to be one of the original Pussycat Dolls. For anyone who is a nitpicker like me, the group was formed in 1995 and Nicole Scherzinger joined in 2003. Alexis was 27 in S1 which means she was 15 when she and Nicole joined the group. This lines up with her previous story about her friend Summer dating Hugh Hefner when they were in high school (she said Hugh was a very young 77, which means Summer dated him in 2003).

• Love 7

Although the "Cabaret" scenes were a bit slow for me, I really enjoyed the baseball story line.  I also loved the continuity of the draw of the BBQ for David.  Every season the Roses become more and more a part of the overall community and I am in for it! 

However, I do hope we start seeing more momentum towards the production of Cabaret.  

• Love 1

This season so far has been a let down for me compared to seasons 3 and 4. When I was perusing the forum and realized I hadn't watched any of the Inside the Episode videos yet, I got to revisit alot of moments in individual episodes.

While watching them, I realized there are alot of good individual moments in each episode, but there doesn't seem to be an overarching storyarch that's placed a solid foundation across the episodes. I think if they had brought the Cabaret story into the limelight more, it would have made the season really solid. 

However since the season isn't over, maybe my feelings will change after this season's story unfolds. I'm looking forward to how Steve's character deals with being the lead in the musical. I'm especially looking forward to hearing her sing!

• Love 1

Just picking nits: If Stevie, Johnny and Roland were all playing baseball, who was running the award-winning motel? Who was minding Rose Apothecary? As mentioned above, shouldn't Patrick have been at Cabaret rehearsal (I think I saw Ronnie's 8x10 on the cast board last week, too, as well as Someone We've Never Heard Of playing Brian)? And I'm sure Ted could have swung a bat and caught a ball.

And, no to black shoes and a brown glove. Just not done.

• LOL 1
On 3/7/2019 at 6:44 PM, festivus said:

Did Moira. Combine two wigs together? Awesome 😅 I love her. She was pretty sweet to Stevie too.

I liked Johnny being so happy for his kid.

Moira’s hybrid wig was so ridiculous and so Moira! 

Jocelyn’s crazy hair is continuing to make me laugh, too.  

• Love 3
On 3/8/2019 at 8:08 PM, AllAboutMBTV said:

...As mentioned above, shouldn't Patrick have been at Cabaret rehearsal (I think I saw Ronnie's 8x10 on the cast board last week, too, as well as Someone We've Never Heard Of playing Brian)? And I'm sure Ted could have swung a bat and caught a ball.

And, no to black shoes and a brown glove. Just not done.

I think there was sort of an explanation for that one part. Moira said this rehearsal was just for some subset of the cast, plus anyone who wanted to work on (something? dancing?) - Bob.  Although I wonder why he wouldn't be at his business's team's game.

I thought this was a funny episode, but another nitpick: as bad as David is at anything athletic, it's crazy that he struck out three times. They were playing slo-pitch softball, which is built around putting the ball in play. The ball is lobbed right over the plate, a good pitcher is one who induces lots of weak ground balls and pop flies. Striking out is nearly impossible, even for a player as pathetic as David. And to be so horribly awful as to somehow strike out three times and then smack a home run? Highly improbable.

But that's just nitpicking. I loved David bemoaning the fact that his outfit wasn't properly color coordinated, Patrick trying to humor him, and Johnny being so openly thrilled with his son's success, even though he was on the opposing team. Is Stevie still in the play, or did she worm her way out of it? Even though both Moira and Alexis were sweet in this ep, looking out for her, it seems like she might still have to humiliate herself. Unless Moira can unearth that hidden talent we all know is there!

• Like 1
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, DXD526 said:

I thought this was a funny episode, but another nitpick: as bad as David is at anything athletic, it's crazy that he struck out three times. They were playing slo-pitch softball, which is built around putting the ball in play. The ball is lobbed right over the plate, a good pitcher is one who induces lots of weak ground balls and pop flies. Striking out is nearly impossible, even for a player as pathetic as David. And to be so horribly awful as to somehow strike out three times and then smack a home run? Highly improbable.

Oh, trust me, it's entirely possible for someone to strike out three times in slow-pitch softball. And I, at one point, actually tried to become a softball player, and practiced a lot and everything, before coming to the inevitable conclusion that this was simply not my path in life. But even someone with terrible coordination like myself occasionally lucks out and happens to land on the ball by pure chance.

• Love 5
19 minutes ago, Enginerd said:

Oh, trust me, it's entirely possible for someone to strike out three times in slow-pitch softball. 

I can vouch for this too. In middle school we were forced to play softball. We pitched to our own teams and there were still people who struck out. And then, like David, some people who seemed hopeless would randomly make contact and hit the ball way out. I think sometimes when you’re uncoordinated and/or untrained, you are consistently not great and then once in a blue moon you just get lucky. 

• Like 1
  • Love 3

I think a lot of people who have any normal degree of coordination don't understand just how uncoordinated it's possible to be. At least, this is what I gather from all the people who have been like, "join our recreational softball/volleyball/kickball/soccer/billiards team! You don't have to have any skills! It's just for fun! Anyone can play!" and then they get mad at you (me) for being so completely terrible, and keep yelling at you (me) about how to do it right. No, I understand what you're saying, dudes, it's just not going to happen. I AM trying to follow your instructions.

• LOL 6
  • Love 10

I’m definitely that way with pool. I totally understand the math/physics/angle stuff so I can see where I need to stand and where I need to hit the ball, but my body won’t cooperate. When people try to help by coaching me, it’s all I can do to bite my tongue from telling them, “Yes, I know what I’m SUPPOSED to do but my hands  and arms won’t do it!” 

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

Just got to this episode in my binge and I totally loved it. The whole baseball story was great, and really fun to see them playing. Just wanted to clarify a few confusions above about the Cabaret rehearsal. They say at the beginning that it is just for the Kit Kat Girls (and anyone who wanted more rehearsal time (Bob)). That explains why Patrick, Ronnie, and everyone else is not there. Also, since they are doing the stage version of Cabaret, the "romantic" lead is named Cliff (not Brian). And yes, I don't think we've met the person playing him yet.

• Love 2

This episode has one of my favorite sequences in the entire series:

- Once...upon a...nightmare (Moira gets a disturbed expression on her face)...my...captor...was...dismembering....

- Okay, does it always get so dark?

- I'm just flowing with your energy, Stevie.

Like what is that🤣🤣

• LOL 8

Chiming in late to agree with all the other non-coordinated people. My depth perception is practically non-existent and I can't see 3D. The only time I played a family game of softball, I somehow got hit in the face with the ball. I'm totally a David: just here for the food.