Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E09: Boooooooooooone!

• Start Topic

Frank searches for ways to finance Ingrid’s vision for their future together. Fiona’s anger issues cause problems at Patsy’s. Lip is forced to confront his real feelings for Tami. Kelly’s father attempts to get in the middle of her relationship with Carl. Kev and V realize they are in over their heads with their latest fostering endeavor.

Promo:

Clip:

Original air date: 1/27/19

Tammy's younger sister is a poor man's Karen; no wonder Lip couldn't resist.

The whole Kev and Vee trying to find Santiago's family plot, just no.

Maybe Fiona ends up leaving because she knows if she doesn't Frank will eventually dump the sextuplets on her.

I liked take-charge Debbie last episode, but locking Liam and Fiona out until they pay what they "owe" her is too much. Fiona never nickel-and-dimed her siblings like that, especially not Debbie when she was Liam's age.

Edited by chocolatine
  • Love 12

I am seriously disappointed with this current season. It looks as if the show is just recycling old plots. Debbie replaces Fiona as the family ball-buster. Fiona in a downward spiral -- we've seen that before. And the "Hobo Loco" storyline -- remember when Frank tried to create his own high-proof beer? Meh.

I've watched this show from the beginning, and I expect I'll be around for the final crash/burn. But next season (assuming there is one) ought to be the last. 

• Love 7
(edited)
On 1/27/2019 at 12:28 AM, chocolatine said:

I liked take-charge Debbie last episode, but locking Liam and Fiona out until they pay what they "owe" her is too much. Fiona never nickel-and-dimed her siblings like that, especially not Debbie when she was Liam's age.

Same here. Although Debbie and Carl ran the daycare at their house and they contributed to the squirrel fund because they knew how tight money was, the onus always fell on Fiona, Lip, and Ian to come up with the bulk of the money to support the household. When the show began, Fiona was working multiple shitty jobs on top of taking care of everyone in the house (buying groceries, keeping on top of everyone's schedules, making sure everyone had what they needed whether it was clean clothes or lunch, etc). She expected the others to bring in as much cash as they could, but it's not like she told Debbie that if she didn't make X amount, she had to sleep on the porch.

I like that Debbie now understands what Fiona was going through and I am glad that as soon as she realized that Fiona had left them in a lurch financially, she immediately stepped up and took care of things. She called the power company to see what happened. She scraped together money to get their utilities turned back on. She went to each office and sweet talked/lied her way into getting some of the amounts reduced. And then she came home and started looking for ways to reduce their costs. I applaud all of that. And I was totally fine with her confronting Fiona and telling her that she owed money. But locking Fiona and Liam out? That's over the line, ESPECIALLY for Liam who is a child.

When Debbie was handing each family member a piece of paper with how much they owed, Liam's share was the same as Carl's and Lip's which is really not fair. Liam is a kid and he isn't really old enough to get hired for even a minimum wage job, which means his contribution has to come from hustling. I can't remember how old Liam is supposed to be on the show, but he looks like he's about 10 which is far too young for him to have time to hustle for more than a few hours per day. If I recall correctly, Debbie's financial contribution to the family when she was that age was mostly during the summer. No one would have expected her to come up with $70 in one day when she was in elementary school.

I hope no one ever finds out that Carl is the father of those sextuplets. The last thing he needs is six more mouths to feed.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 9

I’m just bored. Recycled stories does not make must see tv. I feel like somewhere along the way the writers confused “shameless” with “clueless”. Fiona’s over the top drunk all day throwing plates of food inside the diner at her ex is just stupid. Debbie locking 10 year old Liam outside is stupid. I don’t even know what Lips story is and Franks 65 year old girlfriend with 6 embryos is just unbelievable. Keg and Vee, ugh, cheap jokes about illegals isn’t funny. 

• Love 6
1 hour ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

When Debbie was handing each family member a piece of paper with how much they owed, Liam's share was the same as Carl's and Lip's which is really not fair. Liam is a kid and he isn't really old enough to get hired for even a minimum wage job, which means his contribution has to come from hustling. I can't remember how old Liam is supposed to be on the show, but he looks like he's about 10 which is far too young for him to have time to hustle for more than a few hours per day. If I recall correctly, Debbie's financial contribution to the family when she was that age was mostly during the summer. No one would have expected her to come up with $70 in one day when she was in elementary school.

I hope no one ever finds out that Carl is the father of those sextuplets. The last thing he needs is six more mouths to feed.

I think Liam mentioned being 9 but yeah, it's ridiculous to expect him to pay an equal share with everyone else. Honestly, Debbie and Lip both have steady jobs, they should be shouldering the burden of expenses and like you said, Liam can contribute in the summer. Wasn't that the way the squirrel fund worked originally? They all worked their asses off in the summer to "squirrel" away the money for winter when there weren't as many opportunities for shady Gallagher business?

• Love 7

It's official; I'm done with Shameless.  I half-watched about 20 minutes of this nonsense with Katey Sagal, who is 65 fecking years old, droning on about having 6 babies.  The Frank character is p.l.a.y.e.d o.u.t.  I totally get why Emmy Rossum and the other kid are leaving.  They need to kill it, have a funeral, then bury it.

We'll always have the first three seasons.

To be correct Frank is not a hobo he is a bum.  A hobo is a person who travels (traditionally by hopping a freight train) looking for work.  Lower in status is the tramp who  also travels and will occasionally work.  At the bottom is the bum-no desire to look for work or travel. 

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, jww said:

To be correct Frank is not a hobo he is a bum.  A hobo is a person who travels (traditionally by hopping a freight train) looking for work.  Lower in status is the tramp who  also travels and will occasionally work.  At the bottom is the bum-no desire to look for work or travel. 

Then Frank is definitely a BUM.

• Love 1
On 1/27/2019 at 2:17 AM, Dee said:

This show is SO grossly antiblack.

I agree that this episode was antiblack in that Vee thought that a law enforcement officer would be unwilling or unable to fulfill his professional responsibilities because of his race, and that was really gross, but I am just curious as to how the entire show is antiblack?  Maybe I'm not seeing something that others are...

On 1/27/2019 at 3:28 AM, chocolatine said:

Tammy's younger sister is a poor man's Karen; no wonder Lip couldn't resist.

I agree.  I thought the younger sister may have been a Mandy, but I thought "Karen" for Tammy as far as "we're just fucking," except, oops, Lip is catching feelings and making something Bigger Than It Is. When the boyfriend/non-boyfriend entered the scene, I thought "Siera," and then I thought Amanda again with the "we're just fucking," but with the female catching feelings.  I think this is such an arrested development scenario.  Lip--either man up and tell this woman you want to see her exclusively and you'll give her time to sort it out, or just fuck her and attach no strings (which I don't think works nine times out of ten).  But don't fuck her sister in order to make her feel bad.  Isn't that called manipulation?  Isn't your "program" supposed to teach you better?  Chicken-legged asshole.  Even Mickey found the courage to make Ian his fella.  Damn.

15 hours ago, arachne said:

I am seriously disappointed with this current season. It looks as if the show is just recycling old plots. Debbie replaces Fiona as the family ball-buster. Fiona in a downward spiral -- we've seen that before. And the "Hobo Loco" storyline -- remember when Frank tried to create his own high-proof beer? Meh.

I've watched this show from the beginning, and I expect I'll be around for the final crash/burn. But next season (assuming there is one) ought to be the last. 

This is such a recycle job on so many levels.  The hobo drink reminded me more of the plot line where Frank became the "Joe the Plumber" of the gay movement.  I have a feeling I will enjoy this significantly less.  

6 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I like that Debbie now understands what Fiona was going through and I am glad that as soon as she realized that Fiona had left them in a lurch financially, she immediately stepped up and took care of things. 

I think I Debbie has a personality quirk that, once she sets her mind on something, she does not give up no matter what.  Everything is her hill to die on.  She is very serious and different from Fiona in this way.  Fiona is more "easy come, easy go" (except with this psycho shit with Ford, which is getting mighty troubling), whereas Debbie has it her way or the highway--she wanted a baby, she got a baby, she wanted equal pay, she got equal pay, she wanted a 20 year old to fuck her when she was 13, so she fucked him.  Unless this trait is pointed in a positive direction, it can become destructive.  

4 hours ago, sadie said:

Keg and Vee, ugh, cheap jokes about illegals isn’t funny. 

Serously unfunny and ugly.  This show's obession with illegal aliens this season is probably going to be the reason I would turn it off before the show ends.  Last season I came close with "Gay Jesus" and restricting free speech and assembly in favor of a "noble cause," but I hung in there.  Next time they do something for laughs as cheap as having us believe that Americans would pay money to build a wall around a Spanish-speaking minor in handcuffs, I'm done with the show.  And what was that shit at the end with the children singing?  What was that supposed to do with the show?  If someone from the show has a preoccupation with this situation, they can and should take a leave of absence from the show to pursue that.  It has nothing to do with anything.  Heavy-handed much?  

Random thoughts:  Kev is illiterate in English, but apparently he can read Spanish?  

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, as I'm not a doctor, but is there any way on earth that a doctor could lose her license for not performing an abortion that a patient doesn't want?  I couldn't imagine that scenario.  Now, implanting six embryos into a 65 year old woman might be a different story...

Carl's storyline gets the Most Recyled award--is this actually the fourth time that he was in a relationship with a woman who was either crazy and/or had a law and order/military father?  I am thinking this is literally the fourth time--Bonnie, Dominique, Kasidi, now Kelly.  It's over.  Do something else, Carl.  

If Frank's six embryos are supposed to represent the fact that he already has six kids that he failed, are we forgetting about Sammy?  Big shock.  I have to admit I laughed when Frank tried to borrow money from the welfare system in order to become a "bitcoin billionaire."  At least he's thinking.  And I also laughed when he just drank the hobo juice without a second thought while no one else seemed to be able to stomach it.  Wow, two laughs in an hour-long comedy.  Terrific.  

Can't wait for Fiona to finally get her comeuppane and hopefully get fired.  She was so out of control this episode.  Poor boxing instructor!  What I don't believe is that she is buying vodka by the half-pint if she is this full-blown.  Someone who drinks first thing in the morning and in the freaking shower is buying that stuff by the handle.  It also bothered me when Lip was supposedly sliding into alcoholism (after ten years of drinking normally) and he would pour such a small drink while he was working at Pasy's,  I've been around this stuff.  It's not how it works.  Fiona drinking vodka from a water bottle on the El though--that rang true to me.  That's about it.  

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, LibertarianSlut said:

Carl's storyline gets the Most Recyled award--is this actually the fourth time that he was in a relationship with a woman who was either crazy and/or had a law and order/military father?  I am thinking this is literally the fourth time--Bonnie, Dominique, Kasidi, now Kelly.  It's over.  Do something else, Carl. 

It's the second. Bonnie's mom was only briefly shown and Kassidi's father was a wealthy dentist.

This season should be its last. Hell, they should have ended it about three or four seasons ago but that ship has sailed. Nevertheless, I see no reason for the show to continue without Fiona. I agree with the general sentiment that every single story feels recycled and what isn't recycled is just dumb. I get that Debbie is pissed off but Fiona owns that house. Her name is on the deed. Debbie can't just decide who lives there and who doesn't. If Fiona isn't paying the bills that's her problem. The other kids can go live somewhere else if the utilities get shut off. Just because they paid the bills doesn't give them rights to the house. The law of property ownership doesn't work that way. 

I did kind of like that Liam spoke Spanish and he and Santiago went off together but that whole thing with the bricks was just dumb, dumb, dumb. I get what they're going for with "the wall" but c'mon. Nobody is that stupid. 

Speaking of stupid, it's nice that Kevin and Vee put in the effort to find Santiago's family but how dumb are they? Going around asking people out loud "are you illegal? are you illegal?" 

Gah.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, LibertarianSlut said:

I agree that this episode was antiblack in that Vee thought that a law enforcement officer would be unwilling or unable to fulfill his professional responsibilities because of his race, and that was really gross, but I am just curious as to how the entire show is antiblack?  Maybe I'm not seeing something that others are...

How is what Veronica said anti-black? She wasn't suggesting that the man was incapable of being a cop. She was questioning how the black officer could reconcile the uh... let's say fraught relationship between law enforcement and black people. It's a complicated issue that is certainly debatable but I don't see anything anti-black about her POV. Many black officers have talked about trying to reconcile this issue. 

• Love 2

Interesting tidbit at the end that Liam is keeping his choice of future partners fluid

I didn't think Vee  was questioning the  professionalism of the black officer, IMO, she was questioning his humanity in what he was doing   arresting the guy...another person of color.

Edited by sheetmoss
  • Love 5
4 hours ago, LibertarianSlut said:

What I don't believe is that she is buying vodka by the half-pint if she is this full-blown.  Someone who drinks first thing in the morning and in the freaking shower is buying that stuff by the handle.

ITA. Also, I noticed she was drinking Stoli instead of some generic rotgut vodka. That does not ring true either. 

• Love 2
9 hours ago, jenrising said:

I think Liam mentioned being 9 but yeah, it's ridiculous to expect him to pay an equal share with everyone else. Honestly, Debbie and Lip both have steady jobs, they should be shouldering the burden of expenses and like you said, Liam can contribute in the summer. Wasn't that the way the squirrel fund worked originally? They all worked their asses off in the summer to "squirrel" away the money for winter when there weren't as many opportunities for shady Gallagher business?

That was always my impression of the way the squirrel fund worked. I’m surprised Debbie didn’t put Franny on the porch. I was really hoping that Carl had poured lotion in that specimen cup.