Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E11: Operator Error

Bort
  • Start Topic

When a medical device fails on a former Chastain employee, an investigation is opened up, which pits Dr. AJ Austin against Quovadis. As Mina and Bell work to get to the bottom of what went wrong, Devon distracts himself with another patient who's experiencing mysterious stomach pains. Meanwhile, Nic forms a bond with her new partner at the clinic and Conrad's relationship with the Barnett family continues to grow.

Airdate: Monday, January 21, 2019

Nooo, I liked the character that died. I just wish I hadn't forgotten his name. Good episode but sad. I'm still worried about the boy with the seizures. I expect him to come back with something wrong in the future, but maybe his tick really was just a red herring. 

Quovadis needs to go down! Like yesterday. 

• Love 5

At least we found out early that Bell isn’t going to be wrongly accused of his ex lover’s death. 

Poor Bradley. Everyone’s reaction in the ER was absolutely heartbreaking l. I can’t wait until that Quovadis fucker goes down. 

• Love 7

Is it crazy that I genuinely expect this exact plot with Conrad smirking down at the bastard as he lies on a hospital bed on his way to the OR and Conrad reminding him that Chastain ONLY stocks Quovadis devices?

• Like 1
  • Love 9
12 hours ago, jewel21 said:

Good episode but sad. I'm still worried about the boy with the seizures. I expect him to come back with something wrong in the future, but maybe his tick really was just a red herring. 

IIR, the boy also has a quovadis device in him.  There was a lot of discussion then about using the device in a child.  Since the test they ran showed he wasn't having a seizure,I'm willing to bet that the device is starting to cause problems for him.

• Love 15

I’m guessing she’s hiding out after they attempted to kill her, and will bring Quovadis down as the hacks they are. I hope Austin’s mentor goes down with them- what an arrogant asshole. His patients are probably having problems with the valves but he’s somehow covering it up like Bell is.

• Like 2
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, morriss said:

Is there any chance that Julian is still alive???  I hope so, because her and Devon were a good match.

I want her to be alive, not so much for a romance with Devin but so that she can report that the Raptor didn't damage the device during the surgery, can call out the made in China aspect of the different devices and can help put all the Quovadis assholes behind bars.

• Like 2
  • Love 9

I was relieved that Bell didn’t give in to Quovadis in the end and blame the Raptor, instead stating cause of death was underlying disease. The look on his face when Mina told him AJ had benched himself said it all. Plus he knew if he pinned it on AJ, Mina would start digging and discover his conflict of interest. Darn it, I was looking forward to  Mina, Conrad, Nic, and Devon teaming up on that effort.

Note how, being Bell, he managed to weasel out of blame for both Quovadis AND Chastain... I swear he has more lives than a cat.

• Love 7

Whoa there, Gordon. Be more nakedly ominous next time; I don't think they could hear you in the back. Can we get this guy a mustache to twirl, please? I agree that it would be fascinating to see what would happen if he had a medical emergency necessitating one of his own devices. It would be Marge offering Mr. Burns the three-eyed fish all over again. 

I'm not sure how AJ just picking the valve up in the improper orientation could cause that much damage, but I'm also not a heart surgeon. I would assume he would handle it delicately, and would be used to doing so. I hope Mina digs up the whole graveyard. She's probably the better person to do it anyway. She's a whole lot tougher than Julian. I wouldn't mess with her. 

16 hours ago, izabella said:

Conrad and the kid's mother are getting friendlier by the minute.  New guy doc at the clinic picked up on that right away, and in front of Nic.  Awkward!

SO awkward. I kind of got the impression that he was more HOPING than anything else. He had just asked Nic out, after all. Having her man walk in immediately after isn't just no, it's like super no with chocolate sprinkles. While I could see last week when the guy showed up that he was going to be a wrench (because show is many things, but subtle ain't one, especially about relationships). I'm still interested in seeing what happens next. 

• Like 1
  • Love 2

[Chandler Bing mode] Can the QuoVadis Boss be anymore of a psycho?[/Chandler Bing mode]

And the actor is still Poor Poor Man's Alan Rickman. He does the void psycho-stare really, really well. Problem: all he does here is the void psycho-stare.

OMG, they killed Bradley! Bastards! I was just telling myself it was nice how secondary characters were kept around and participated in the overall continuity...wait a second. Where's Feldman? I don't remember seeing him in the previous episode either, and how come he wasn't at Mina's with the others, remembering Bradley?

If making people feel sorry for Devon or making them want him to find twu wuv and some solace with Still In the Limbos was part of the goal re: killing off Bradley, they failed with this viewer. I can feel sorry for Devon because he lost his best friend, or like him for the sympathetic doctor he's always been, and still think he's a shitty BF who doesn't deserve to be rewarded on the love front.

The community clinic thing can be dropped yesterday, please. The only thing I liked about it was the gorgeous fancy-ass house with its beautiful wooden floor...and I was thinking, not the best option when it comes to washing blood, vomit and other fluids that are bound to dirt the floor of a clinic, is it? That's how much of a snoozefest it was to me, and Nic needs to be freed from it. Last season, she was taking down Lane! Dr Sainthood, ugh, ugh, ugh, go away the day before yesterday. And of course, Now Maybe Thirsty for Conrad Mom is back -still love the actress, do not like the direction the whole thing is taking.

If I were naive, I would have liked the conversation between Nic and Conrad at the end of the episode. Not jealous, but not blind, and teasing each other because they know what they have, they don't feel threatened by other people having crushes on them, so they don't need to make a BFD about it. But alas, I know better. Not spelling everything out isn't subtle writing, it's only foreshadowing for trouble. They weren't completely honest!

I like AJ, but I didn't expect his part of the QuoVadis storyline to actually be the most compelling (with Bradley's death in itself, of course). For all OTT and arrogant he can be, he also can be humbled and he's as brutally honest and demanding with himself as he's with others. I do appreciate that, a lot.

Right now, Mina and Bell are the reason why I still watch this show. They were both their usual awesome selves. "Of course I was right":  Of course you were, Mina!

Edited by Happy Harpy
  • Like 1
  • Love 4
11 hours ago, babs1226 said:

IIR, the boy also has a quovadis device in him.  There was a lot of discussion then about using the device in a child.  Since the test they ran showed he wasn't having a seizure,I'm willing to bet that the device is starting to cause problems for him.

Oh I see how this will play out. The boy will have problems. There will be some sort of sudden death emergency moment and we will be treated to Conrad being shrieked at by the Mom that she trusted him! She went with the surgery that Conrad said was safe and now her only remaining son is dying/dead! Then Conrad collapses in a puddle of despair and goes to find Nic and OF COURSE this is the night that Nic either finally screws Dr. Perfect and or Dr. Perfect kinda rapes her but Conrad walks in on the end and thinks she betrayed him like the whore she is!

This sort of show can be predictable. :)

• Love 1

Issues an dilemmas in this episode.   I realized Pravesh was upset/distraught because they lost Bradley (didn't realize they were such good friends) but he (Pravesh) seemed so detached and insincere with Marisol at that initial meeting.   Whatever your problems, don't let the patient see them.   However, she was so worried about her pain she probably didn't notice his behavior--but I did.   Anyway, it all somewhat worked out for him in the end--Marisol's "diagnosis" was revealed, surgical sponge removed and Pravesh's confidence is restored (saved a patient).   I'm still none too happy with him.

Bell, once again, after some "soul searching" (yeah, right!), does the "right" thing by not blaming anyone.   Will this cover up and defective Quo Vadis valve have repercussions down the road?  I was a bit disappointed with Mena (conversation with Bell and Greg?) about Austin--it gave them a scapegoat, initially, but then she somewhat redeemed herself with the end conversation with Bell.  He's still a slippery slope and a snake but always comes out smelling like a rose.   He needs to be taken down a peg or placed in a situation he doesn't get out of so easily.   At first, I thought they would pin it on Austin at first and this would/could be a reason for Julian to mysteriously return to "save the day".   Didn't happen, thank goodness, but doesn't mean there won't be another similar situation.    Poor Dr. Austin - doesn't know his mentor, Traitor Abe, sold him out (his "deal" with Quo Vadis).   Will there be any tension/conflict/damaged relationship between Mena and Raptor or has it passed since Bell pretty much falsified documents?

Nic and Alex - just NO but yeah, we can all see the innuendo not only with "Nalex" but also the awkward moment at the clinic with the mom and Conrad.   I'm  begging the writers not to go down that predictable road.  Again, the writers should be able to tell compelling medical drama without the character assassination (they've already done it with Devin).  Don't make me find that eye-rolling emoticon, lol!

The secondary story with Aubrey and grandfather - good conclusion to what could have been a really misunderstood (and was) situation.

On 1/22/2019 at 10:20 AM, rhys said:

Is it wrong that I want quovadis dude to have something wrong with him  necessitating the need for one of his own devices?

Good thought but I'm not so sure these writers can pull that off--or would even think about that option!   They are still going to have to deal with bringing back Julian (I don't believe she's dead) so one thing at a time, lol!

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I am probably the only one here who hate watches the show.

I cannot stand Matt Czuchry (not sure how to spell his name), the constant smirk, the very bad acting. I could never understand his appeal. It is like watching a well programed robot acting. I can even guess what expression will come next. Well paired up with Emily Van Kamp (sp?) though. Bad acting united!

I have a thing for Bruce Greenwood but his character is terrible so I am hate watching him too. Mena is gorgeous, so I guess that's some positive thing?

The medical plots, I gave up at the moment I tried to watch that. Medical dramas rarely get it right. And they all try to get to the level of ER, and failed by a lot. It seems that this one is gong for a House approach, also failing. 

Faking an autopsy report is probably a serious crime. I can't believe it was so easy for a doctor to simply accept that. Even for this show, it was extreme. Besides, the whole story with how the device was handled was bullshit. The person responsible to design and sell the device (assumedly) running the investigation is all kinds of whoa! He would be investigated too, even if a doctor actually broke the device before implanting it, there is no way a party with the most financial interest would lead that investigation. I would also think that it is relatively easy for someone to just get another device and test it. But of course, that would require things to make sense in this show. Since they writers didn't bother to do minimal research on VNS, they don't really care about anything else. As long as we have smirks and sexual tension, they are happy.

• Like 1
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, alexvillage said:

I am probably the only one here who hate watches the show.

No, I'm right there with you.

It seems that this one is gong for a House approach

I think I watched 3 episodes of House before giving up on it.  Every time one of his minions went in the MRI control room I wanted to yell "get your fucking hands off my keyboard!"

Faking an autopsy report is probably a serious crime

He spoke to that Pathologist as if she were his secretary.  I guess she's as crooked as he is.  

• Love 1

Did they get new writers or something? The writing has become rather poorly lately.

A heart valve getting damaged to the extent that it's broken by being picked up backwards? Really?! How much pressure do the writers think a heart valve can withstand? Now, if Austin had picked it up, dropped it and stepped on it before putting it in the patient I could maybe buy this ridiculous reasoning...

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4
On 1/24/2019 at 12:31 PM, Efzee said:

it in the patient I could maybe buy this ridiculous reasoning...

lol, that's what I was thinking.

New writers or second half of second season curse?  It is not fun anymore.  Think I'll skip next week.  

It's reminding me of the Lucifer nose dive, but I don't see any Netflix potential.  I'll miss Van Camp, I like her a lot.

It seemed surreal that all that was supposed to have happened in one day?!  Wow.

On 1/22/2019 at 5:16 PM, Happy Harpy said:

If making people feel sorry for Devon or making them want him to find twu wuv and some solace with Still In the Limbos was part of the goal re: killing off Bradley, they failed with this viewer. I can feel sorry for Devon because he lost his best friend, or like him for the sympathetic doctor he's always been, and still think he's a shitty BF who doesn't deserve to be rewarded on the love front.

Agree 100%. Until the Julian attraction plot, Devon was a very sympathetic character. Now the writers are going to have to do a lot of work to get me to like his character again.