Type keyword(s) to search

MacGyver (2016) - General Discussion

• Start Topic

regarding the weekend hookup that turned into a month stay... I can see the need for some boundaries, like he could have said 'i'm doing some research the basement is private' or something.  Or, like adults using their words, he could say.. 'instead of these jam sessions, let me share with you this research project, since oh, i don't know, you are an archeologist??'

• Love 2
2 hours ago, jabRI said:

regarding the weekend hookup that turned into a month stay... I can see the need for some boundaries, like he could have said 'i'm doing some research the basement is private' or something.  Or, like adults using their words, he could say.. 'instead of these jam sessions, let me share with you this research project, since oh, i don't know, you are an archeologist??'

I agree.  I felt like he could easily say it was his home office and had to be a private space due to confidentiality issues.  Noone is required to share everything.  

MacGyver - Episode 5.07 - Golden Lancehead + Venom + Pole Vault + Blood + Baggage

The secret experimental cancer treatment Mac’s developing with a friend is discovered when culprits ransack their lab, kidnap Mac’s partner and plan to use the research to create a powerful new nerve agent, on MACGYVER, Friday, Feb. 5

There was one thing that I didn't quite understand, the Black Ops DoD mission used a private security/mercenaries to kidnap Mac's friend, Frankie, to bring her to them so she could make them the nerve agent. The mercenaries double-cross the DoD guys, but why do the mercenaries have access to the DoD's lab filled with snakes, what did the DoD do when the mercenaries stole their lab. Something doesn't seem to add up there.

On 1/25/2021 at 5:43 AM, Sweet Tooth said:

They not only had the "moment," but it remained in Mac's brain enough to bring it up to Bozer and try to toss it aside.

Hi! Can somebody point out to me what exactly happened in that "moment", in the kitchen...

I didn't see anything, honestly.

Just that he, MacGyver, was bored/uncomfortable and left Riley there alone....

5 hours ago, bara007 said:

Hi! Can somebody point out to me what exactly happened in that "moment", in the kitchen...

I think Mac contemplated giving Riley some smoochies.

• Love 1
On 2/19/2020 at 11:45 AM, Twilight Man said:

"Hawaii Five-O" may be done, but Jorge Garcia is NOT done with Jerry.

An upcoming episode of "MacGyver"  has Jorge guest-star as Jerry, his character from "Five-O".(As you may recall, there was a cross-over earlier in which Mac himself went to Hawaii  and met some of the "Five-O" task force members (and for some "strange reason",  Kamekona traveled back with him and cooked everyone a feast)).

P.S.   As you know, Henry Ian Cusick was on the show "Lost" with Garcia.

• Love 1

I got such a kick out of Jerry dismissing 5-0's vaunted crime-solving Microsoft PixelSense as a "big, stupid iPad." I guess the deal between CBS and Microsoft must have fallen through. In case you missed Hawaii 5-0 they did some lovingly over the top showcases of Microsoft products up to and including one character actually telling another to "Bing it".

There were a few other 5-0 references as well with McGarrett himself getting a name drop and references to times Jerry went undercover. No reference to Jerry getting shot which was the reason he left 5-0. And of course, in true 5-0 fashion they let him keep the badge and it extends 5-0's limitless means and immunity to wherever he happens to be.

Not sure I buy Mac taking so long to figure out that the mystery illness was caused by sonic weapons. US Embassy staff in Cuba have been having mystery illnesses for years now and I have seen news stories that it is from sonic weapons. If I've seen that in the news I feel like someone at the Phoenix would have also seen it.

I was going to nitpick Mac and Desi for keeping the spacesuits on but they actually did take them off in a hurry once they figured out it was safe to do so.

The bad guys should have known a sonic weapon wouldn't stop Robert Patrick. You've got to throw him into a vat of molten steel to take him out.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
On 2/11/2021 at 3:38 PM, bara007 said:

It was extremely subtle, but it was one of those moments where one who already has feelings for the other [Riley] is seemingly on the verge of admitting said feelings, and the other half [MacGyver] is caught looking at friend and realizes, "whoa, when'd you get so pretty?".  One without feelings, already, bugs out because he's (supposedly) in a mostly-off-but-sometimes-on relationship and also probably thinks the other doesn't feel the same way.

But after some time and looking back on it, he noticed there was some 'tension' to the moment, other than his noticing of Riley as more than just 'a pal' - thus his mentioning of said "moment" to his best friend later, before laughing it off.

12 hours ago, alexa said:

I really wish they would not revisit codex.  I like having more singular stories rather than the huge enemy like last season.  

I don't mind a "big bad" storyline, if done right.  This whole Codex thing - at least since the show started back up in December - is just boring. 

They keep making such a huge deal about them, but it never goes anywhere.

Edited by iRarelyWatchTV36
  • Love 2

I liked seeing Jerry again though I have to say in view of recent events his embrace of conspiracy theories is no longer quite as endearing as it used to be. And I'm anything but a tech whiz yet 'sonic weapon' entered my mind a lot faster than the hero's who has a much better grasp on natural sciences - not a good look.

In general introducing a Big Bad in a show is always problematic (it's the equivalent of the Apocalypse on genre shows) - either the Big Bad won't go away despite losing its aura with each almost-victory or TPTB feel compelled to introduce an Even Bigger Bad after each iteration with the same results.  Stick to run-of-the-mill evil plenty of that to go around.

At least Maddie knew how to pronounce Ljubljana.

Edited by MissLucas
  • Love 3

Alexandra Grey Joins ‘MacGyver’ In Recurring Role

alexandra-gray-macgyver.jpg?w=681&h=383&

Alexandra Grey will play Parker, a transgender female Phoenix engineer who has been tapped by director Matty Webber (Meredith Eaton) to provide critical assistance to MacGyver and the Phoenix team. Whether it be cracking cyphers to solve a case or lending a supportive ear when needed, Parker has their back. Her episodes will begin airing March 12.

Poor Bozer, I wonder if he will even have a role if they keep adding characters.

• Love 3

I haven't given the show too hard of a time for this because it's kind of central to the concept but sometimes they put something that is way too handy in way too convenient of a spot. In this episode, Mac is climbing up a sheer cliff face and it's quite a grind. But wait, there's a mineshaft halfway up! And the mineshaft also contains the control room that the bad guys need. There's just a few minor issues here. First and foremost, what kind of mine is this supposed to be? Who drills a mine into the side of a cliff like that? Why the opening on the one side? There were no tailings at the bottom. There was no gear in the mine. And that's the other thing: how were the bad guys getting to and from the control center here? I suppose they could have brought their own ropes or ladders or etc but they don't think of this when they know Mac is down there.

It's also hard to excuse all the gunfire that went Mac's way while he was crawling up the mineshaft. I don't feel like he would have been that hard to hit. Also, he was having a really hard time until they started shooting at him and then he immediately learned how to free climb like a boss.

Russ and Maddie are a little over-dramatic when it comes to the change in leadership at Codex. They're an apocalyptic cult of international terrorists, I'd expect their leadership to have high turnover. Having said that, it could be a fake out though because that's usually what happens when there is a body burnt beyond recognition.

Desi finally gets a decent leather jacket! She has had the worst collection of bush jackets since she was introduced. Her button-up black blazer looks great and doesn't overlap with Riley's style. So now the whole team can wear leather jackets without looking like a Gap commercial.

• Love 2

Well, I'm used to seeing freaky achievements on this show but they really outdid themselves with this one. Particularly during the rock climbing bit. MacGyver managed to put a climbing anchor into the 'rock' by tapping it lightly with a wrench and in once instance you can see him placing and pushing it in by hand 😂 The whole cliff looked horribly fake and there was no rhyme and reason why it should have a mining shaft right in the middle. A dam would have made more sense - they have service tunnels, and they can be scaled if mother nature has given you the right equipment

• Love 1

Ugh. I HAVE MISOPHONIA, and that apple bit was driving me...uhhh...bananas.

The final scene at the gravesite was probably the first time I truly enjoyed Mac and Desi. I like that she thought of the small details and was just sweet to him.

My favorite part was when the guy was a second away from killing Desi, and Riley is explaining her pulley concept. I mean, if he wasn't interrupted, he literally had a gun on Desi and was about to go bang bang, and Riley's all, "Okay, so when I'm writing code..." and Maddie says, "But you have no computers there..." and I'm screaming, "They have a gun literally pointed at Desi's head! Can you hurry this up a bit?"

But of course that was right after, "Hey, you know the bad guys who were headed our way?" "Yeah?" "They're here."

How about, "The bad guys are here! Everyone scatter!"

• Love 1

This last episode (rock climbing) brought up a pet peeve of mine lately, where shows are shot in almost complete darkness and I have the hardest time following who they are, much less where they are.  On a side note, I liked the last seen with Desi's hair down,, a much more attractive look (though I can see how it would interfere in her mostly assassin role).

That was a fun episode! RIP Leanna though, sorry you were casually bumped off off-screen like Jack.

Not really sure how Murdoc's plan was supposed to work if he had to go all the way. He was in that building so he'd presumably be killed if and when it fell down.

The Phoenix needs to invest in better jails. And don't put all the worst baddies together! That never goes well.

Regarding Mac's decision at the end, I can only quote the immortal Samuel L. Jackson as portrayed by Dave Chappelle:

Spoiler

(Spoiler tagged for NSFW language but it is honestly how I feel!)

• Love 1

Murdoc's a TeamRiley guy (maybe Team Mac/Riley as well?).   Besides the reveal of Riley's feelings for Mac, that's the most important thing I took from the episode.

He may be a murderous psychopath, but he's got one redeeming quality.

And I'll believe that's the end of Codex when I don't see a big storyline involving them for a few episodes.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
(edited)

Since all the secret leaders of CODEX were on the Zoom call with their faces exposed, I can believe that their organization is finished.

Stupid idea to make a building collapse with you inside.

Is it really possible to make a diamond in the exact weight, size, clarity, and color without having to do any cutting or polishing? I wonder how much that costs versus the old fashion way?

I guess Leanna is never returning to the show, Bozer not hearing from her in 6 months, he was literally "Ghosted".

Mac is about to get "all Riled up"!

Addition: There was one thing that bothered me, Mac had a 10 minute headstart, stole a motorcycle, and cut through a few buildings, but Mac, Riley and Desi all arrive at the building at the same time.

Edited by AnimeMania
Add
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1

If Mac has to ask how Riley is feeling, then he shouldn’t entertain the idea of marrying Desi.  I dislike the character and never liked their relationship, but if she was a real person, he would be marrying a consolation prize.  If he suddenly realized that Riley is available and she lies because she doesn’t want to get between Mac and Desi, then Desi is screwed big time.  It would be a crappy thing to do to her.  

The ending I imagined, Desi says “Yes”.   She gets killed off or gets her dream promotion and leaves the show.

Desi says “No”.  They break it off and she leaves the show.  

Now Mac has to find out if Riley still has feelings.  Desi should cut her losses and get a new job.  

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Commando Cody said:

Desi says “No”.  They break it off and she leaves the show.  

I can’t believe I’m saying this but I don’t want her to leave. I still hate the MacDesi relationship and think they’re terrible as a couple (case in point “let’s just pretend the last 24hrs didn’t happen- their crappy communication is a killer), and Mac clearly only thought of proposing to get some stability after losing Jack as well as his family BUT I genuinely like the DesiRiley friendship. It’s very supportive and sweet and I really hope the love triangle doesn’t ruin it. The show needs some female friendship. I’m still not completely onboard with MacRiley but I hope they’re at least on the same page because I don’t want the whole thing dragged out until it eats the show.

On a non-shipping note, I was hoping Murdoc would have escaped. I mean obviously the Phoenix’s crappy prisons aren’t going to hold him and he’ll be out when it’s convenient but it makes them look incompetent if he keeps escaping. 

• Love 3

How unfair of Mac to go to Riley to ask her if she still has feelings for him when he's not risking anything himself. He should analyse his own feelings before approaching her. So unfair to Desi too who has been nothing been loyal to him. MacDesi relationship is not exactly healthy because their communication sucks. Riley and Mac are more on the same wavelength, so they may work but the way things are going down is not great.

6 hours ago, waving feather said:

How unfair of Mac to go to Riley to ask her if she still has feelings for him when he's not risking anything himself. He should analyse his own feelings before approaching her. So unfair to Desi too who has been nothing been loyal to him. MacDesi relationship is not exactly healthy because their communication sucks. Riley and Mac are more on the same wavelength, so they may work but the way things are going down is not great.

I think he did analyze his feelings and realized there was an attraction to her, so perhaps he's asking if he can do that with her? That's weird and cruel. I'm hoping that's not the case, but why would he ask if it was possible to sublimate your feelings if he wasn't attracted to her and trying to fight the feelings, right?

• Love 3
30 minutes ago, Sweet Tooth said:

I think he did analyze his feelings and realized there was an attraction to her, so perhaps he's asking if he can do that with her?

Yes this is probably it. Still, it's a giant leap between making a diamond, wanting to propose to his gf and suddenly wanting to explore it with someone else. It means he was never all in with Desiree. Des already has an issue with having her walls up, this is going to make it so much worse. I haven't watched all of season 4, but has Mac ever shown a romantic interest in Riley?

(edited)
22 hours ago, waving feather said:

Yes this is probably it. Still, it's a giant leap between making a diamond, wanting to propose to his gf and suddenly wanting to explore it with someone else. It means he was never all in with Desiree. Des already has an issue with having her walls up, this is going to make it so much worse. I haven't watched all of season 4, but has Mac ever shown a romantic interest in Riley?

Totally agree about everything.

When he was talking to Bozer, he mentioned how topsy-turvy his life has been re: Jack, his father, his aunt. Then I think it was last week when he became overprotective, because he didn't want to lose anybody else.

Mac is desperately grasping at straws, trying to find something solid in his life, and he thinks proposing is the answer. It's not. He needs some serious counseling, because he's trying to overcompensate.

He and Riley had a "moment" during the episode where they flashed back to the beginning of the pandemic, and Riley was still living there. He brought it up to Bozer but then quickly covered it up/denied it. 

Mac is not in a healthy headspace. He's grasping at straws. He said it himself, that he and Desi have been a rollercoaster ride. They've been on solid ground for like five minutes, and he's proposing.

He's not all-in. He's searching for stability, and that's so unfair to Desi. It's also pretty jerky to play with Riley's feelings. 

Edited by Sweet Tooth
  • Love 3

I saw it that he needed to figure out the Riley feelings before proposing to Desi, not being mean.  I think he realized he needed to figure out the Riley thing as he has feelings too.  

3 minutes ago, alexa said:

I saw it that he needed to figure out the Riley feelings before proposing to Desi, not being mean.  I think he realized he needed to figure out the Riley thing as he has feelings too.  

I thought it was more like he was trying to figure out how to propose to Desi and then said to himself "wait, I don't even like Desi. Why am I trying to marry her?" As for Riley, he didn't clue in that she was interested until this episode and as soon as he found out, he was interested enough to knock on her door late at night. And Desi kind of encouraged him to do it too. Instead of asking him when he was planning on giving that ring to her she told him something along the lines of "do what you feel is right." Mac read that as permission and dropped her with the quickness. A bit cold yes but I think he made the right choice.

• Love 2
(edited)

I want MacRiley, but I dislike the immediate heavy-handedness they are treating it with.  The very last scene is Mac showing up at Riley's door late at night, basically wanting her to tell him she still has feelings for him, and then the next episode they conveniently will be sent on a mission, just the two of them??  I mean, cmon.  Riley struggled - with some Bozer help - for 1.5 seasons with her feelings for Mac, and its going to turn into something 'serious' right off the bat?   IDK.  I feel like there needs to be an episode or two of Mac doing some self-reflection and then being honest with Desi before moving on, but it seems they're gonna skip some steps and taking a page out of Murdoc's book, fast forward to the part they want to get to.

And even though I very much dislike the MacDesi, the writers are doing Desi no favors and never really have.  She finds out Mac was going to propose to her, then that Riley has romantic feelings for Mac, and she tells him "do what you feel is right" without a hint of "please choose me!".  This is what I dislike about the whole M/D personal relationship;  she doesn't/won't fight 'for' them.  She'll fight with him, about them, but never really for them.   Mac did all the fighting for them.

Edited by iRarelyWatchTV36
  • Love 2

The only time Desi fought for them was at the end of last season when Mac was acting shady about Codex. I thought she was really trying to reach out to him then. But she's back in her shell now. It's not the lack of caring but her insecurities and self sabotaging tendencies. The first thing she did when she felt she may lose Mac is to push him away.

I also felt so bad for Riley the entire episode, her secret was exposed in front of everyone against her will and she had to deal with the fall-out and the looks from Mac and Desi. This is something that may affect her professional life too. They aren't just friends but co-workers. I'd be getting revenge on Murdoc just for that alone. Lol!

• Love 2

I actually enjoyed most of the episode. Desi’s plot was utterly ridiculous but a lot of fun. Russ’s story was interesting and aww at him admitting the crew is his family. Boss Bozer was also great, nice to see him stepping up and showing how good he is at his job.

But boy, they really are determined to stretch the triangle out aren’t they? The MacRiley resolution didn’t seem particularly resolved but I though it was interesting that Mac admitted he felt something at some time too, also I will say I’m glad nothing happened seeing as how Mac hasn’t had any kind of conversation with Desi about what happened. I’m not enjoying it much as I hate triangles so at this point they need to table relationships and focus on missions. 

Edited by dippydee
  • Love 2

I thought the episode was enjoyable but I am dismayed that Riley and Mac are in a holding pattern for now.

Desi's random adventures were fun. Usually these little vignettes are at the beginning of an episode and I think this is the first time they've been scattered throughout. We have no idea what Desi is doing or why. We just know that her mission requires her to be in a nun's habit and kicking ass in a church and then escaping on a motorbike while rocking a shiny party dress and then tussling in a helicopter. Fun scenes.

Was that bad guy supposed to be related to Russ? He sure talked about family a lot.

I know they have to do this for the sake of convenience but somehow the heroes are always able to trick the bad guy into saying his password out loud. If you follow good password creation rules, you'll never say it out loud because it will be a sequence of letters and numbers with a special character or two in there. So by design, something that doesn't come up in casual conversation unless you're Elon Musk's kid.

I liked that Bozer outdid Russ in the "charm a potential client" department. Not sure if it's exactly kosher to have a guest watching a live operation but I guess her badge did say All Access.

• Love 5

Whenever they try to address real life issues on this show, it takes me out of the show. I don't think it's a good idea for the show to mix fantasy with reality. Because it makes both not "believable". Lol.

Seeing how they resolved the MacRiley issue, I had rather they had not gone there and not let know Riley had feelings for Mac some time ago. Much ado about nothing. 

On 3/28/2021 at 5:29 PM, waving feather said:

Whenever they try to address real life issues on this show, it takes me out of the show. I don't think it's a good idea for the show to mix fantasy with reality. Because it makes both not "believable". Lol.

Seeing how they resolved the MacRiley issue, I had rather they had not gone there and not let know Riley had feelings for Mac some time ago. Much ado about nothing. 

Until it amounts to anything - if ever - they're just ship-baiting.  Plain and simple.

Trying to keep the 'fringe' fans engaged and eager to tune in. 

Seen this happen a lot in the last 2-3+ TV seasons.

And unfortunately for myself, I'm pretty much always in the baited portion of the fanbase.  Its turning me off of new and existing TV shows, unless its a genre that I really like regardless of such things.

• Love 2

I want to keep liking this show, but the last few episodes have been really hard for me to follow.  And I could care less about a 'love triangle' these people need to find dates outside of work.  And while I think MacGyver is cool, I just get zero chemistry with him and any of these ladies.  He and Desi in particular, I mean they never even seem to have conversations.

• Love 1
On 3/28/2021 at 6:40 AM, dippydee said:

But boy, they really are determined to stretch the triangle out aren’t they? The MacRiley resolution didn’t seem particularly resolved but I though it was interesting that Mac admitted he felt something at some time too, also I will say I’m glad nothing happened seeing as how Mac hasn’t had any kind of conversation with Desi about what happened. I’m not enjoying it much as I hate triangles so at this point they need to table relationships and focus on missions.

I just think if you're questioning things to this degree, you need to take a step back.

Mac claimed they were "happy," but how happy can he be if he was questioning Riley the entire time they were away. I just wonder what would have happened if she'd told him she still had feelings.

If Mac proposes at this point, it doesn't paint him in the best light, and things are bound to get really messy.

The Riley/Mac thing is faaaar from over. It will probably be Desi who pulls the plug, to not make Mac look like a total creep. She'll see what's going on with him and Riley, even if they can't admit it.

I like that they've made Bozer competent at his job. 

• Love 4

For a good moment there I was sure Desi was going to confess that her former fiance was Jack. That would have been appropriately awkward and would have explained why she was so upset. Instead she was engaged to some dude named Evan who went down behind enemy lines and whose body was never found... which means he will be showing up at just the right moment to ruin Mac and Desi's happy relationship.

I don't understand Riley's hairstyle for most of the episode. Nice to see her rocking the leather pants at the end though.

I couldn't follow the twists and turns of this episode at all. It was like a 5-0 episode where there are piles of suspects and motivations and weird things going on and then it turns out to be the blindingly obvious helpful person who the team has been working with all along.

• Love 2

Okay, so now we know that at least Desi has her feet firmly planted on the ground, and we were right that Mac was rushing things because he's scared of being alone.

They were "barely dating," so it seems the show isn't trying to make this a great love story and is indeed trying to tip us off that Mac may not be in the greatest place mentally.

1 hour ago, dwmarch said:

which means he will be showing up at just the right moment to ruin Mac and Desi's happy relationship.

This is 100% happening.

1 hour ago, dwmarch said:

I don't understand Riley's hairstyle for most of the episode.

Ah, well, if you were in the nineties, you'd understand it perfectly.

I didn't recognize Russ's girlfriend until he mentioned about her ditching him. And I guess she really wasn't working him for info about the treasure.

I am surprised this got resolved in the way it did, with her coming clean like that.

• Love 3

I was annoyed with Russ' girlfriend.  'My family used to be rich so it's fine for me to lie, steal, manipulate to find a national treasure and get rich for them again'.  So elitist and entitled.  Get money the old fashioned way... work hard.  Sorry, that just rubbed me the wrong way, but I'm not sure how else they could have written it to redeem her.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, AnimeMania said:

She is teaching girls how to code, but she is acting a little shady, like she might throw in a little hacking for good measure.

If these girls are future crime fighters, hacking is a necessary skill.

• Love 1
14 hours ago, jabRI said:

I was annoyed with Russ' girlfriend.  'My family used to be rich so it's fine for me to lie, steal, manipulate to find a national treasure and get rich for them again'.  So elitist and entitled.  Get money the old fashioned way... work hard.  Sorry, that just rubbed me the wrong way, but I'm not sure how else they could have written it to redeem her.

And wasn't she like a professor or university lecturer? I thought I recall her teaching an online class during quarantine. Even without her uncle's monthly stipend, I would assume she's making good money from that.

Dear McGyver

You're wondering 'what this all means'? Here you go. You may have spent your youth learning all there is about chemistry and physics - should have spent some time watching good old soaps.

You're welcome.

• Love 2

The cancellation news 100% cements the fact that Desi's past love shows up alive and the very ending of the finale will be setting up the future MacRiley.... which would be absolutely par for the course with my f*ing luck.  Instead of getting a season to see what the MacRiley ship would look like in canon, the show gets axed before it can happen.

But, if MacRiley is in the process of happening as the screen goes black on the finale, then we'll be able to say the ship was officially 'endgame'.   Slight positive.

The thing I am most looking forward to, though, after learning this cancellation news?   Guaranteed no more MacDesi on-and-off BS, and not having to detest watching episodes because of it.

• Love 3
1 minute ago, iRarelyWatchTV36 said:

Guaranteed no more MacDesi on-and-off BS, and not having to detest watching episodes because of it.

That is the one plus of the cancellation.  Otherwise, I am very sad about it.  There are so few shows anymore that I really like, so I am sorry to see one more gone.

I wonder if Covid had anything to do with the cancellation.

• Love 3
1 minute ago, Trey said:

That is the one plus of the cancellation.  Otherwise, I am very sad about it.  There are so few shows anymore that I really like, so I am sorry to see one more gone.

I wonder if Covid had anything to do with the cancellation.

It could be the MacRiley colored glasses I'm wearing, but it wouldn't surprise me if other people were also getting tired of the MacDesi BS and the ratings were significantly suffering because of it.

• Love 1