Type keyword(s) to search

Felicity Smoak: Bitch With Wifi

• Start Topic

part of me feels the reason Felicity is well liked is because she is not a cynical - obvious though - character (like Ziva and many other females on TV right now- at least network TV) nor is she 100% obvious nerd. she can be intimidating but it's not a physically obvious type of intimidation. alot of that is parts writing and alot of parts due to EBR.

I will agree that there is something refreshing about Felicity in contrast to many of the other female characters on TV.  I liked Ziva well enough but I'm exhausted by tortured female characters.  I'm over women who can only prove they're strong by literally kicking everyone's ass. It's too limiting. I like all the characters on Arrow, even Laurel (gasp!), and I'm not entirely sure I have a favorite but if anything Felicity sticks out a bit in a good way because she isn't angst-ridden.  She is kicking ass with her brain.  I like that.  I love cerebral women who are also open with their feelings.  It's a nice alternative from this closed off female characters who have all these emotional walls and are so type A they can't enjoy life or who are stellar at their jobs but their personal lives are a hot mess. 

If they can show Felicity away from the team and on her own a little, as they might be doing this season, I'll be all for it.  I don't have much of an opinion of Felicity with Oliver, but sometimes I'd rather see her with someone who won't add that typical angsty drama to her life.  We'll see. I'll keep an open mind. I'd like the show to add some complexity to Felicity by taking her away from the context of the team for a little bit like they've done with all the other characters, but I'm not interested in seeing her being weighed down by any sort of angst at the moment.

Edited by Betweenthisandthat
  • Love 2

I will agree that there is something refreshing about Felicity in contrast to many of the other female characters on TV.  I liked Ziva well enough but I'm exhausted by tortured female characters.  I'm over women who can only prove they're strong by literally kicking everyone's ass. It's too limiting. I like all the characters on Arrow, even Laurel (gasp!), and I'm not entirely sure I have a favorite but if anything Felicity sticks out a bit in a good way because she isn't angst-ridden.  She is kicking ass with her brain.  I like that.  I love cerebral women who are also open with their feelings.  It's a nice alternative from this closed off female characters who have all these emotional walls and are so type A they can't enjoy life or who are stellar at their jobs but their personal lives are a hot mess. 

If they can show Felicity away from the team and on her own a little, as they might be doing this season, I'll be all for it.  I don't have much of an opinion of Felicity with Oliver, but sometimes I'd rather see her with someone who won't add that typical angsty drama to her life.  We'll see. I'll keep an open mind. I'd like the show to add some complexity to Felicity by taking her away from the context of the team for a little bit like they've done with all the other characters, but I'm not interested in seeing her being weighed down by any sort of angst at the moment.

I so agree with you, angst is good as long as it does not weigh down a character but that balance is not easily achieved by most writers. Felicity is no light weight. She has had issues in her past which we will see in season 3 but she marches on and is still a pleasant and capable person.

Its the difference between being victimized and becoming a victim. Watching a character be victimized can show depth and strength you haven't seen in them before; They pick themselves up and move along (TVD: Caroline/SV: Chloe). But a character that becomes a victim, it becomes part of them and its just a continuing cycle (TVD: Elena/SV: Lana).

I have no doubt Felicity is going to be dealt some pain this season (both emotional and physical). I just hope we see growth with humor and strength.

• Love 3

I'd like her to tone down the awkward babble with Oliver and Diggle...it seems to be a nervous reaction..but she shouldn't be nervous around those two. 

Plus some of it just seems forced. 

I love Felicity but I have to agree with this. I don't mind when she babbles sometimes but on occasion it has been embarrassing. The scene where she was welcoming Moira back to QC had my face in my hands. It kind of goes slightly too far. I hope she doesn't lose the quirk completely because that's part of who she is but hopefully they won't rely on it as much now. 

I'd like her to tone down the awkward babble with Oliver and Diggle...it seems to be a nervous reaction..but she shouldn't be nervous around those two. 

Plus some of it just seems forced. 

She did tone it down when she got to know them better - she had scarcely any foot-in-mouth moments in S2.  The only one I can think of off the top of my head was her S2E2 "And I love spending the night with you" and that was right at the beginning of the season and in the middle of a stressful fight.  She had the "Maybe he thinks he penetrates just fine" comment, but that was with Barry, not Oliver & Digg.  I think her S1 comments are just so memorable that people didn't even notice she wasn't doing it any more!

• Love 1

I think her unintentional innuendos have dropped off significantly.  The last time we really saw them at the beginning of S2.  The "your girl" babble I guess could be considered one, but then again, she was high on drugs so that's not be unexpected.  The babbling was pretty much absent by late S2.

I don't have an issue with her Freudian slips, that's not something that just magically disappears and the way she handles them is cute. She doesn't just beat herself up and stop talking, in light of the awkward comments, she just keeps on. I like that, not everyone needs to be cool and it makes her relatable IMO, plus it's something that is very much her and she owns all her quirks, I don't know anyone in real life that has never had any foot-in-mouth moments. At least her awkwardness is intentional, some other characters actions aren't intended to be awkward and yet they are.

Edited by willpwr
  • Love 4

I love Felicity but I have to agree with this. I don't mind when she babbles sometimes but on occasion it has been embarrassing. The scene where she was welcoming Moira back to QC had my face in my hands. It kind of goes slightly too far. I hope she doesn't lose the quirk completely because that's part of who she is but hopefully they won't rely on it as much now. 

They seem to limit them now to either occasions when she's nervous, such as seeing Scary Moira, or relating to Oliver sexually, such as the "spend our nights" or "penetrates just fine."  If she gets more comfortable with him sexually, maybe after 3x01, I expect those will diminish. 

• Love 3

She did tone it down when she got to know them better - she had scarcely any foot-in-mouth moments in S2.  The only one I can think of off the top of my head was her S2E2 "And I love spending the night with you" and that was right at the beginning of the season and in the middle of a stressful fight.  She had the "Maybe he thinks he penetrates just fine" comment, but that was with Barry, not Oliver & Digg.  I think her S1 comments are just so memorable that people didn't even notice she wasn't doing it any more!

Yes, the babbling was not there in season 2 and I liked it better because of that. She is comfortable with the team and she does not babble much because she is home with these guys. I would not call the bit about penetrating just fine with Barry babbling at all, she just paraphrased what Barry said and it was just one sentence.

One example of her babbling was when Diggle was under the influence of Vertigo in 2x07 and she went off tangent telling Oliver about the guy who conducted the test for her because she fixed his parking ticket but that too was a stressful situation with Diggle shivering on the gurney/med table.

I would like it if they do not revisit that.

I loved the fact that it was written by a man - so no one can say that some silly girl was fangirling.

I also like the fact that he addressed the whole Mary Sue effect and clarified that how Felicity Smoak is NOT Mary Sue (We all know who Mary Sue is on Arrow) but a genuine character with her own set of strengths and weaknesses.

Quite an interesting read.

• Love 1

A very good article, well written and well-argued.  Especially great that it's not written by someone who can be accused of being a fangirl or shipper.

Yet even if Oliver and Felicity cannot be fully together for longer than an episode after all – although that may not be the wisest long term course – Felicity still doesn’t need to be Oliver’s love interest to be more than his girl Wednesday/Friday.

Well, maybe somewhat of a shipper.

I loved the fact that it was written by a man - so no one can say that some silly girl was fangirling.

Whoever thinks that if the article was written by a woman therefore it's silly and fangirling and then point out that their opinion doesn't matter is a sexist pig and doesn't deserve a second of our time. 

• Love 3

Kind of a random comment but as I watched The Flash and Agents of SHEILD and Gotham and then pop back over here for pictures and previews and ect., I've been struck several time by how much I enjoy Felicity's very distinctive look.  It's just a high ponytail and a pair of glasses (and fashionista clothes but it's the CW so no shock there) but it is as recognizable and as welcome as any outfit or costume Oliver or Roy or Sara pull on.  It makes her stand out without sexualizing her but at the same time isn't turning her into a frump or a freak or mannish.

It's a good thing that I am appreciating more and more. 

• Love 7

Ok can I just say how much I LOVED Felicity Smoak during the Season Premiere. 

It's a pretty amazing cocktail this character manages to be.   She's NOT a badass but in a way she is.   She's unremarkable but in a way very remarkable.   I like that we saw her working at a job she was over qualified for, because it had medical and dental.    Juggling her duties at "Buy More" and helping Team Arrow.   And it's small but very telling that even though she isn't overly enthused about working there she still rushed Oliver off the comm because she had to get back to work.  lol.

She's a Girl "Everyday" but such a good one.  Her tech enthusiasm got her into trouble again and allowed Ray Palmer access to information he shouldn't of BUT I love that she didn't whine about it, she hacked his systems and apparently put a flatulent porcupine  on it.  LOL.

She's optimistic, sensitive, pro-active (when she can be), enthusiastic, awkward, funny, snappish (when she's in the "zone") and underneath all that we always see that there is a truly warm heart.   She's not a pollyanna, Ray showed us that she's not above getting even and she LOATHED Isobel Rocheve just as much as Isobel detested her.   She's just a super well-rounded character.    In terms of live action heroines, for me she's right up there with Peggy Carter and Black Widow.

• Love 18

I adore her. Adore. And on top of all the wonderful attributes you mentioned, Advance35, I love how much self-respect she has. She's obviously crazy in love with Oliver but would sooner walk away from him than hang around wishing, hoping, and praying for Oliver to get his shit together. I love it so much. We've had sisters stabbing each other in the back to ride Oliver's magic penis and a supposedly smart woman turning a blind eye to his chronic cheating. But as much as Felicity loves him, she loves herself enough to demand better. And in doing so, she is actually aiding his journey to become a better person.

I want to sing odes and write sonnets to her. 

• Love 17

And how cool is it that she's not a "Rules" Girl?   I was pleasantly surprised that Felicity was there before Oliver.  A lot of times on these show's they show the girl making the guy wait either at her home or at the decided meeting place, but Felicity was already there, looking wonderful waiting for her guest to join her.   So small, so meaningless but it says so much.

I like everyone else have issues with a few of the choices this show seems to make BUT I think they and EBR have crafted such a wonderful character.   I WILL say that first impression......I don't want anything between Felicity and Ray.   I think something about the actor may rub me the wrong way.   I didn't like him.   And not even in the banter match off between he and Felicity.   I'll still give it a chance in terms of character interaction but my initial instinct is a definite NO.

But as much as Felicity loves him, she loves herself enough to demand better. And in doing so, she is actually aiding his journey to become a better person.

And question, did we hear Felicity say she "loves" him?   I was so distracted by everything that happened last night that I may actually not remember.

• Love 4
And question, did we hear Felicity say she "loves" him?   I was so distracted by everything that happened last night that I may actually not remember.

No, she didn't. Which makes SA's comment that the characters would make their declarations kind of iffy, because no one declared anything. I guess Oliver's could be considered a declaration by omission, since Oliver admitted that he loved Felicity by refusing to say he didn't. I have no question about how either one of them feel, but they didn't express it verbally. Maybe something was cut?

But what a breath of fresh air Routh's Ray Palmer is! Obviously the character was conceived in no small part as a complement to Emily Bett Rickards' take on Felicity, and to give her an actor and a character with the same energies to interact with. I've never felt as if Felicity doesn't belong, but Arrow's other characters aren't wired in the same way that she is, and it's great that Routh's Ray brings in a more confident version of that energy, with the same patter and sense of quick-thinking.

TV.COM

This is soo true! I never felt Felicity's scenes were unrelated to the story or forced at all. I loved all of her scenes last night! She was awesome.

• Love 3

Felicity's characterization being one of the best things imo about the season premiere, here it is.

I don't need a backstory on her (if I still watch, I'll appreciate it, though). For me, by the time she became a regular, she was already a well-rounded character. I could tell what was in character or not for her. I knew who she was, or at least what was important: smart, honest, loyal, sincere, with a mind of her own, not afraid to express her opinion and to stand by it. And then,  I learned she's a brave person, whether she has to take psychological (Moira) or physical (Slade) risks.

Even though her storylines revolved around Oliver...actually, no, they revolved around Oliver's mission. But anyway, it didn't define who she was. It was what she did that defined her.

Some tried to make her pass as a mere comic relief, then as a mere sycophant, a mere girl-with-a-crush, but I beg to differ. The season premiere proved once again, for me, how strong she is, how non-nonsense she is, how smart she is, how love doesn't blind her. The way she behaved with Oliver in the last episode showed me that  she knows him like her own name, and doesn't enable him when in manpain mode...but respects his pain and boundaries all the same.

And I truly believe that without her (and Diggle) Oliver would never had made it so far.

Felicity Smoak, you rule and I love you.

• Love 21

Felicity's characterization being one of the best things imo about the season premiere, here it is.

I don't need a backstory on her (if I still watch, I'll appreciate it, though). For me, by the time she became a regular, she was already a well-rounded character. I could tell what was in character or not for her. I knew who she was, or at least what was important: smart, honest, loyal, sincere, with a mind of her own, not afraid to express her opinion and to stand by it. And then, I learned she's a brave person, whether she has to take psychological (Moira) or physical (Slade) risks.

Even though her storylines revolved around Oliver...actually, no, they revolved around Oliver's mission. But anyway, it didn't define who she was. It was what she did that defined her.

Some tried to make her pass as a mere comic relief, then as a mere sycophant, a mere girl-with-a-crush, but I beg to differ. The season premiere proved once again, for me, how strong she is, how non-nonsense she is, how smart she is, how love doesn't blind her. The way she behaved with Oliver in the last episode showed me that she knows him like her own name, and doesn't enable him when in manpain mode...but respects his pain and boundaries all the same.

And I truly believe that without her (and Diggle) Oliver would never had made it so far.

Felicity Smoak, you rule and I love you.

Dear happy harpy,

You win this forum!

• Love 4

Word to what everybody has said already. I adored our Girl Wednesday in the premier.

She was scarily competent with her computer and tech skills, but we still got to see her rambling nervousness on her date. EBR does SUCH an amazing job in making Felicity feel like a fully realized, three dimensional character even though we really don't know much about Felicity at all. And I also have to give her kudos on being able to say all that technobabble and make it sounds very natural and that she knows what she's talking about. Because there are other TV scientists/hackers that just don't come across as being comfortable with the jargon at all and I totally buy it from her.

One of my favourite moments with her was actually when we saw her quietly cry at her computer while Oliver and Diggle were talking about Oliver saying his crusade was his 'choice.' She knew what he was referring to, she knew that it was over and she allowed herself to grieve and be sad but she still stood her ground and was the one to walk away.

And good on her for rightly calling Ray out on his stalking. What he did wasn't charming. It was stalking...and that's illegal and creepy.

• Love 9

One of my favourite moments with her was actually when we saw her quietly cry at her computer while Oliver and Diggle were talking about Oliver saying his crusade was his 'choice.' She knew what he was referring to, she knew that it was over and she allowed herself to grieve and be sad but she still stood her ground and was the one to walk away.

God yes, I saw that bit with her weeping quietly in the foundry and it hit me in the gut. Great performance from EBR.

And good on her for rightly calling Ray out on his stalking. What he did wasn't charming. It was stalking...and that's illegal and creepy.

I thought Ray was stalking her to get her to take off the porcupine farts from his devices?

Note to self: animal flatulence is a great revenge method.

• Love 1

Thanks, :)

One more reason to love Felicity: If I go by her reaction, she didn't get her definition of "charming" from Twilight. Hey...maybe Ray will sparkle, too?

• Love 3

“ENTWORTH MILLER GUEST STARS AS DC COMICS’ VILLAIN CAPTAIN COLD; FELICITY FROM “ARROW” CROSSES OVER INTO CENTRAL CITY — The Flash (Grant Gustin) stops a robbery but the culprits get away after shooting a guard, and The Flash chooses to save the man instead of following the criminals. Joe (Jesse L. Martin) shows Barry a book of suspects and Barry identifies Leonard Snart (guest star Wentworth Miller, “Prison Break”) as the leader of the group. While investigating the case, Barry gets a surprise visit from an old friend –Felicity Smoak (Emily Bett Rickards, “Arrow”), who heard about his new abilities and came to check them out for herself. She joins him at S.T.A.R. Labs to help stop Snart after it’s revealed that Snart his gotten his hands on a stolen “cold gun,” which could kill The Flash. Dr. Wells (TomCavanagh) is furious when he finds out that Cisco (Carlos Valdes) built the cold gun without telling anyone and now it’s missing. Meanwhile, Iris (Candice Patton) is getting the silent treatment from Joe because of her relationship with Eddie (Rick Cosnett). Finally, The Flash and Captain Coldhave an epic confrontation.”

http://flashtvnews.com/flash-episode-4-going-rogue-official-description/17005

Looks like Felicity will not just be seeing Barry, she will actually be helping him deal with his villain of the week. Does this girl ever take a break.

So looking forward to this cross over.

• Love 2

I’m not sure if the writers of Arrow always intended for Emily Bett Rickards a.k.a. Felicty Smoak to be a major part of the show, but I’m thankful that she is.  Every time Rickards is in a scene I’m happy to see her.  Felicity is by far the smartest and funniest character on the show, and never once is her tech expertise lacquered over with nerd stereotypes.  In stories filled with vigilantes, assassins, heroes and cops Rickards isn’t playing the token human.  Nor is she sexy tech support.  Or the love interest (even if everyone wants her to be… seriously writers, come on!).  Felicity is a feminist, a genius who doesn’t have all the answers, a light in the dark and someone who vocalizes all the things we’re thinking when Oliver Queen takes off his shirt.  And no one could balance all those things as well as Emily Bett Rickards does. -- X

This is a lovely description of Felicity.

• Love 6

While investigating the case, Barry gets a surprise visit from an old friend –Felicity Smoak (Emily Bett Rickards, “Arrow”), who heard about his new abilities and came to check them out for herself.

We were wondering if Oliver tells Felicity about Barry's powers. Looks like he does.

I love how the guys in this show have such perfect faith in Felicity's genius.  Take Roy running to disarm that bomb.  He knows nothing about bombs.  Felicity knows nothing about bombs.  But Roy has faith that if he describes the bomb to Felicity, she will, in less than 3 minutes, figure out how to stop the bomb going off.  Which she did.  The same thing happened with Lance in S1.  They just place their lives in her hands and trust her to save them and everyone else.  The pressure on her to deliver is so huge, but she just gets on with it.

• Love 8

From the "Target Practice" thread:

I think she does. She's 23 years old, she's a breakout star of a TV show, where she was originally slated to be a one off guest star. And she has a naturalistic approach that is full of warmth and fun, which has already garnered her a loyal following of fans. Is she still working on her craft? Sure, but she's already ahead of some of the actors featured on Arrow.

For me, Emily seems to have a rare talent for comedic acting.  Lots of actors can pull off funny lines, but there are far fewer actors who can make lines that aren't funny at all on paper very funny when they perform them, or can be funny even when they're not saying anything at all (but without being over the top or silly).  I enjoyed Matthew Perry on Friends because he also had that natural gift for understated comedy, and I think Emily has that same ability. Writers must love writing for these types of actors, because not only is it entertaining to write to their strengths, but even when the writing falls short and is less than stellar, the actor can turn it into gold anyway.

So, while she's still working on some areas of her acting (and overall doing a pretty good job of it, IMO, given that this is her first real acting job), I think many people find her appealing because she's so naturally funny and charming and immensely likeable.  That's not really something you can learn.  It's just something you are and people can't help responding to that.

• Love 8
I think she does. She's 23 years old, she's a breakout star of a TV show, where she was originally slated to be a one off guest star. And she has a naturalistic approach that is full of warmth and fun, which has already garnered her a loyal following of fans.

Breakout star is debatable (I say it's Stephen) but regardless...it doesn't always translate to future career success. 

• Love 1

Breakout star is debatable (I say it's Stephen) but regardless...it doesn't always translate to future career success. 

She was nominated for the Teen Choice Breakout Star. So I think that gives her the title? Stephen Amell was on two huge shows before Arrow: The Vampire Diaries and Private Practice, and would have had an expanded role in Private Practice if it hadn't been for him getting Arrow.

This is EBR's first major role, and she was nominated for a Teen Choice Award, had well known journalists write articles about how they would nominate her for an Emmy, and multiple articles written about how she and her character helped save the show. I think that qualifies her for the title of being a breakout star. With how much buzz there is around her I think her future as an actress is pretty great.

Edited by HighHopes
  • Love 13

Okay. Because I'm bored, I decided to wander off into the shadowlands (thanks Lion King) aka youtube, imdb, reddit, and to some extent ign to look at the comments. I saw quite a few people who wanted the show to kill off Felicity and I started to wonder why? Other than the fact that they probably don't like her, I'm going to try to put my personal bias aside and come up with a pro and con list for killing Felicity off. 

Pro (for it) -

• Shock the audience by doing the 'unthinkable'
  • To keep comic canon alive by making Oliver, Roy, and Laurel team Arrow as well as make Oliver/Laurel a couple
  • Irony (Oliver keeping Felicity at a distance to keep her safe only to have her be killed)
  • Mystery (who killed Felicity Smoak?)
  • Provides a lot of angst for Oliver and Team Arrow

Con (against it) - 

• Killing off another strong female will send out a wrong message thus a decrease in viewership
  • Team Arrow is one of the few things the show gets right. It's what people love most about it. Killing Felicity would be essentially killing Team Arrow. 
  • No one on the show can replace Felicity and her skills and bringing in a new character would be risky because people might not accept the newcomer 
  • Shock and mystery are both short term solutions of making the show more interesting, not to mention it's all been there done that with Sara's death now
  • Provides no new story considering we've seen Oliver lose so many people and we've seen how he's reacted to all of these deaths
  • The majority of the viewers don't care about comic canon and the viewers who read comics will always be along for the ride regardless of comic canon being realized on screen or not
  • Arrow isn't in the position of killing off fan favorite characters. While a 1.0 rating is moderate for the CW, it can't afford to lose more viewers
  • Felicity provides levity to the show, something the other characters on the show can't achieve. Diggle can sort of, but he's not one of many words. So killing her off would make Arrow a one-note hit as it was in the first two episodes. 
  • Felicity provides a different perspective on Oliver. She helps the audience see a different side of our tortured hero. That side is a much lighter, more fun Oliver. 
  • Felicity's death would feel contrived, just like Sara's death.

I mean, there's no good reason for them to kill Felicity off. And even though I found myself feeling a bit better about the writers not making a big mistake like killing her off, I can't help but feel like they probably will at one point. And it makes me sick :/ 

Feel free to add anything onto the list. 

He really said that? Wow. I usually agree with him but I can't there. 

Yup! He really said it: http://www.hitfix.com/whats-alan-watching/if-i-had-an-emmy-ballot-2014-outstanding-supporting-actress-in-a-drama-series

I don't see why it matters who thinks who is a breakout star or not. Some people think EBR is a breakout star, some don't. No point in arguing about it. Obviously Wingster55 doesn't see that special something in EBR as a lot of us here do just as I don't see anything special with Willa Holland (although girl can kick some angst butt) and there's nothing wrong with that. 

I think she's great at her strengths..but really it was this that kinda bothered me 

It's the others who would probably end up jobbing around on random shows, and in indie movies, and that would make me sad.

also...why so formal with the name? ;)