Type keyword(s) to search

Little House On The Prairie - General Discussion

Message added by Mod-LunarJester,

Culture Check: How can we empower each other with specific, constructive feedback? How can we redirect our focus towards actions, not individuals, and tackle passive-aggressive behavior by encouraging direct, respectful communication?

Check our guide on healthy debates for more info.

• Start Topic

(edited)
10 hours ago, BigBingerBro said:

I'm surprised they didn't do the kitchen extension that was shown on the show.  

How could he miss The Handyman” episode!  Lol.   Yes another American was trying to make replica but needed to find place to hide bathroom.  Side of extended kitchen would work. 

Someones mom made a doll house of cabin you can see online or YouTube and the roof lifts off.  Very cool, I would have Loved it as a kid.  I think it’s not so much the design they want but the feeling it evoked.

Not the best video but this guys mom made the house with kitchen and the one underneath made by someone else, doesn't have it. Lots of talent out there.

doll house.jpg

Edited by debraran
  • Love 4

I'm watching the pilot movie right now and I'd forgotten how good it was. Especially compared to the final movie which I was yesterday. The final movie should have been special and heartwarming about Charles and Caroline's homecoming, but I thought the main story was boring and terrible. 

• Love 2
12 minutes ago, Snow Apple said:

I'm watching the pilot movie right now and I'd forgotten how good it was. Especially compared to the final movie which I was yesterday. The final movie should have been special and heartwarming about Charles and Caroline's homecoming, but I thought the main story was boring and terrible. 

It was, I cut it off to go for a walk, didn't want to see them blowing up things, but it should have been a goodbye and that's it. Taking their land, Caroline with a gun, people fretting throughout the whole show, it was not the best. Then after the walk, Laura was little again and she had "a window" and all was well in the world.  : )

• Love 2
On 5/15/2020 at 2:10 PM, debraran said:

I think "Uncle Jed" was the most used:

Little House on the Prairie (TV Series)
Jed Cooper / Zachariah / St. Peter / ...

- Uncle Jed (1982) ... Jed Cooper

- The Lost Ones: Part 1 (1981) ... Jed Cooper

- The Godsister (1978) ... St. Peter (as E.J. Andre)

- Gold Country (1977) ... Zachariah

- Going Home (1976) ... Matthew Simms (as E.J. Andre)

- His Father's Son (1976) ... Amos Thoms (as E.J. Andre)

I think random grizzly guy (the one who I mostly remember calling Pa "Mr. Smart Brains" beats Uncle Jed!

- For the Love of Blanche (1983) ... Buffalo Bill

- Days of Sunshine, Days of Shadow: Part 1 (1982) ... Old Timer

- The In-laws (1980) ... Kavendish

- The Return of Mr. Edwards (1979) ... Shorty

- Someone Please Love Me (1979) ... Gargan

- The High Cost of Being Right (1977) ... Judge Picker

- To Run and Hide (1977) ... Jed Haney

• Useful 1
1 hour ago, jird said:

I think random grizzly guy (the one who I mostly remember calling Pa "Mr. Smart Brains" beats Uncle Jed!

- For the Love of Blanche (1983) ... Buffalo Bill

- Days of Sunshine, Days of Shadow: Part 1 (1982) ... Old Timer

- The In-laws (1980) ... Kavendish

- The Return of Mr. Edwards (1979) ... Shorty

- Someone Please Love Me (1979) ... Gargan

- The High Cost of Being Right (1977) ... Judge Picker

- To Run and Hide (1977) ... Jed Haney

Yes, he was more forgettable but yes on a lot. One "extra" always had fun on the show, he was the one who was in the dining room of the restaurant complaining all the time.  Dan McBride was name. image.png.d98fc800a6f4db5f7308c5ef0d60e56f.png

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
21 hours ago, debraran said:

Yes, he was more forgettable but yes on a lot. One "extra" always had fun on the show, he was the one who was in the dining room of the restaurant complaining all the time.  Dan McBride was name. image.png.d98fc800a6f4db5f7308c5ef0d60e56f.png

LOL. The guy Nellie threw a plate of bread at.

He was a PITA and I probably would have lost it on him, too.

• Love 2
(edited)

I watched one yesterday where they go to Gold Country because of the rains (you knew this wasn't going to end well) I wondered when they just got up and left so many times, this show, the city, what did they do with the animals? The cow,chickens, oxen etc.  They seem to miraculously appear and disappear on will but maybe I miss something. ; )  Funny what bothers you when you watch a few times.  Even when they came back to Walnut Grove after leaving the city, they mentioned having to eat fish that night but then the barn was full again next episode. ;  ) They did some continuation with clothing this show, usually when new dishes etc are put in or an outfit, they disappear for the future. On the show where Caroline is jealous of Widow Thurman and thinks Charles likes her, she makes a pretty white blouse and she wore it in this Gold episode. First time I've seen that. 

Edited by debraran
  • Love 2
(edited)
On 5/16/2020 at 7:00 AM, Superclam said:

I wish Buck Rogers had some kind of following on here. I used to love that show! 

Me too! It had the best opening credits. Erin Gray is still an incredible lady. Hawk was definitely the inspiration for Bird Person on Rick & Morty:

It is still crazy that there was a season where the family moved to a big western town. If you just decided to stop after watching the first two seasons and then checked back in to one of those episodes it'd be like "WTF? Is this the same show?"

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 2

What was the deal with moving to the big town only for everyone to move back to Walnut Grove? Was that always the plan or did they realize the audience hated it so that's why they moved back?

• Love 2
48 minutes ago, Snow Apple said:

What was the deal with moving to the big town only for everyone to move back to Walnut Grove? Was that always the plan or did they realize the audience hated it so that's why they moved back?

That had to be it.  Otherwise it was pretty pointless.  They could have got  Albert some other way.  I just love the way the entire town moved to that city and then moved back together.  Like that happens.

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
13 minutes ago, Katy M said:

That had to be it.  Otherwise it was pretty pointless.  They could have got  Albert some other way.  I just love the way the entire town moved to that city and then moved back together.  Like that happens.

I know. They acted like that year never happened. How did they all get back their original homes and jobs? How did the Oleson's just went about their business with the store without missing a beat? 

It was like that year was the fevered dream of the entire town and which is never spoken of by silent agreement.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

I thought I read something somewhere or heard on an interview that they needed to take a break from filming in Simi Valley, so they did the Winoka episodes which were filmed at a studio backlot.  Not sure the details of why exactly.   In regards to storyline, didn't the books also have Laura and fam moving to a somewhat bigger city for a period of time?

26 minutes ago, BigBingerBro said:

I thought I read something somewhere or heard on an interview that they needed to take a break from filming in Simi Valley, so they did the Winoka episodes which were filmed at a studio backlot.  Not sure the details of why exactly.   In regards to storyline, didn't the books also have Laura and fam moving to a somewhat bigger city for a period of time?

In the books, they move frequency until they finally settle in DeSmet South Dakota in the book By The Shores of Silver Lake. They stayed at Pa's(?) store during several winters because it's safer to be in town near people and their house was still being built and flimsy, but it wasn't like in the show where they thought they'll never be back.

• Love 3
(edited)

I think Michael was getting bored with Walnut Grove (and maybe fires, they had a few) I realized years later that only outside shots were done there, if they walk into church, the rest is done on set. That's why many goofs are hats on or off or other things fans catch at times. You had to be careful to match things up.  He brought a lot into the town, a circus, gypsies, a lot of characters but the city had more drama. One time Oleson's went also and I assumed they made money there since they could buy stock when they got back to Walnut Grove. Charles asked him to order seed  but not sure how'd he pay for it.  How anyone else had anything much was a little magic. The city was always "bad" and the only nice town Walnut Grove, perfect but I wish they didn't demonize cities that badly. You also could live away from the city a bit and not above a bar. ; )  It never felt right that Charles wanted to leave at the end and take his girls to the city to work in a hat shop, he went through so much before.. Even then, the boss had to be mean.  The Carters were nice though and seeing him and Caroline in their old home the last show, with so much stuff in it, just seemed weird. I remember thinking a little minimalism needed here. lol

Fans didn't like the shows at the end with just Laura. Michael blamed it on her being "too old" It was also bad scripts and bringing Nancy in.  The blowing up of buildings she said was done another day and their "reaction" shots were done later. I imagine insurance deemed that since it was real.

I don't want to watch the awful last show again but where were they all going singing "Onward Christian Soldier" when they blew everything up?

I did laugh reading this because I always thought it looked like that : Any dinner scene that showed some sort of generic meat and gravy on the family’s plates—regardless of whether Ma announced that it was rabbit, chicken, or squirrel—actually consisted of canned Dinty Moore brand beef stew. Those instances when Laura was seen pulling a drumstick out of her tin lunch pail at school? Well, those came not from the Ingalls’ chicken coop, but from Kentucky Fried Chicken.

Edited by debraran
  • Love 3
27 minutes ago, BigBingerBro said:

I wonder what Mr Edward's rattlesnake stew was actually made of...  Carrie (Greenbush twin) seemed to love it!

Melissa Gilbert said all of it was pretty good, the pies, etc. were real. I would have loved all those chocolate cakes. ; ) (take 7)

Liquor was sometimes real and "Pa" supposedly had some in his coffee cup on occasion. That might be why is was such a popular drink. lol

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, debraran said:

Fans didn't like the shows at the end with just Laura. Michael blamed it on her being "too old" It was also bad scripts and bringing Nancy in.  

Nancy was definitely not an asset.  

I don't think it was because she was "too old."  I think it was because she was acting like a little kid playing house.  Which I lay on the scripts' door, not MG.  Also, I didn't notice when I was a kid, but as an adult, I'm just not feeling Almonzo and Laura.  Maybe it's the age difference.  Maybe it's the writing.  Maybe it's lack of chemistry.  Maybe it's a combo of all 3.

If he thought age was a problem, he could have focused more on Jenny and the  Carter (?) boys.  I liked Jenny, but besides the orangutan thing I don't remember her getting into much hijinx. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Katy M said:

Nancy was definitely not an asset.  

I don't think it was because she was "too old."  I think it was because she was acting like a little kid playing house.  Which I lay on the scripts' door, not MG.  Also, I didn't notice when I was a kid, but as an adult, I'm just not feeling Almonzo and Laura.  Maybe it's the age difference.  Maybe it's the writing.  Maybe it's lack of chemistry.  Maybe it's a combo of all 3.

If he thought age was a problem, he could have focused more on Jenny and the  Carter (?) boys.  I liked Jenny, but besides the orangutan thing I don't remember her getting into much hijinx. 

You are correct about the Laura/Almanzo chemistry. She talked often about not wanting to do romantic scenes with him being older but also because they just didn't "click". One bio said :

A “secret” memo was circulated at one point discussing the romantic pairings on the show; Laura and Almanzo just didn’t look like they were in love, and couldn’t the actors do something to generate some “sparks” between the two of them? The same memo pointed out that when Nellie and Percival were together they “looked like they f*** like crazed weasels.” Unbeknownst to the production staff, Steve Tracy, who played Nellie’s husband Percival, was gay. But he and Alison Arngrim were great friends and used to swap passionate, open-mouth kisses during their love scenes just because they knew it grossed Melissa Gilbert out."

They also thought that Mary and John Jr didn't have any sparks but I didn't think much about them, they were so young. They both were studious.  Alison loved her scenes with Percival (Steve Tracy) and they stayed good friends after the show. His comic relief made me wish he kept them on instead of sending them to NYC.

Melissa Sue Anderson left because her blindness at that point was stopping any interesting scripts since they gave Adam his sight back. She was told 3 episodes in season 8 and that wasn't worth being locked into.

Melissa Gibert's scripts were so-so, she always seemed full of angst, hating to be home, wanting to write or teach and you couldn't blame her because Almonzo wasn't Charles. : )

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
7 minutes ago, debraran said:

You are correct about the Laura/Almanzo chemistry. She talked often about not wanting to do romantic scenes with him being older but also because they just didn't "click". One bio said :

A “secret” memo was circulated at one point discussing the romantic pairings on the show; Laura and Almanzo just didn’t look like they were in love, and couldn’t the actors do something to generate some “sparks” between the two of them? The same memo pointed out that when Nellie and Percival were together they “looked like they f*** like crazed weasels.” Unbeknownst to the production staff, Steve Tracy, who played Nellie’s husband Percival, was gay. But he and Alison Arngrim were great friends and used to swap passionate, open-mouth kisses during their love scenes just because they knew it grossed Melissa Gilbert out."

Yeah. I definitely don't blame her.  She was young.  16 or so when the Almonzo "romance" started.  And he's about 8 years older than her.  That's a lot for that age.

12 minutes ago, debraran said:

hey also thought that Mary and John Jr didn't have any sparks but I didn't think much about them, they were so young.

She was just 15 in his last episode.  Again, I didn't give it much thought as a little kid, but later as a teen, I often wondered what she thought of playing someone ready to get married at such a young age.  

14 minutes ago, debraran said:

Melissa Gibert's scripts were so-so, she always seemed full of angst, hating to be home, wanting to write or teach and you couldn't blame her because Almonzo wasn't Charles. : )

Even though you could make the case that she was being bratty in the episode, you can also excuse it because at least she had good reason, I really liked the episode where her son died.  I think Little House always did well with the sad episodes, while I don't think their comedic episodes always landed. I also love the episodes where Mary went blind.  OK, she was also being bratty.  

• Love 2
(edited)
15 minutes ago, Katy M said:

Yeah. I definitely don't blame her.  She was young.  16 or so when the Almonzo "romance" started.  And he's about 8 years older than her.  That's a lot for that age.

She was just 15 in his last episode.  Again, I didn't give it much thought as a little kid, but later as a teen, I often wondered what she thought of playing someone ready to get married at such a young age.  

Even though you could make the case that she was being bratty in the episode, you can also excuse it because at least she had good reason, I really liked the episode where her son died.  I think Little House always did well with the sad episodes, while I don't think their comedic episodes always landed. I also love the episodes where Mary went blind.  OK, she was also being bratty.  

Mary was great and got an Emmy nomination. She was bratty but not like she was with other stories, the "I can't breathe"  lines hit home, I think I'd feel the same way if I woke up in the dark. When she threw her food and Adam said pretty much, "have fun cleaning it up". I liked the character growth but the marriage,baby and all that was too much. Re being 15, I remember him saying she'd have to wait until she was 15, a year and a half and I thought, she's 13 and getting engaged! No wonder they left them so young when they went on trips, they had to be ready for anything by preteen age. : ) Such a hard life, I think I'd rather work in the store like Harriot and have my husband cook most of the meals. lol

Melissa told Michael, please pecks on the cheeks or no big kisses with Dean. I thought Charles and Caroline had chemistry and she was perfect for the role. I wish they gave her more to do but later he tried to appease her with The Matter of Faith episodes and The Handyman which she said was a favorite. 

Edited by debraran
  • Love 2

It's interesting reading what everyone has to say about chemistry.  I remember watching this live as a pre-teen, I enjoyed the Laura/Almanzo relationship. Now, as a grown up, I cringe when I watch it.  What was I thinking??  

I liked the Nellie / Percival relationship and knowing now what was going on behind the scenes makes me enjoy it even more. AA and ST had enough of a sense of humor to be able to pull off their friendship and make it seem like a comfortable relationship. 

• Love 5

Karen gave an interview on her role here. This part she discussed her role and I felt as she did about the blowing up the town but some choices aren't yours. . I loved the Katherine Macgregor interview also. She didn't give many.:

I tried recording the episode when the Ingalls go camping and for some reason the Olesons come with them ( I recall it being kind of funny). Instead I somehow got the episode of the spring dance where Laura has Willy fake being her boyfriend so some blond haired boy we never see again will ask her (and there is a similar storyline with Mr Edwards and the widow whatshername). I'm pretty sure in the dance scene at the end that a boy dancing in the background is the same actor who later is Albert. If I'm right, it raises again the reusing of certain actors for different roles--and why exactly. Seems like there would be room for some of those one and done characters to show up in the background from time to time instead of the same person playing different roles

• Love 3
33 minutes ago, RedbirdNelly said:

I tried recording the episode when the Ingalls go camping and for some reason the Olesons come with them ( I recall it being kind of funny).

To refresh your memory, the kids had an assignment to collect leaves (not even identify or anything, just collect*), and when Nellie heard that the Ingalls were going camping, she was afraid that they would get more/better leaves than her and so demanded that her parents take them camping.  I felt bad for poor Nels.  He wanted nothing to do with the whole project.

*Nellie and Willie grabbed some poison ivy.  Laura knew what it was and didn't tell them even as she watched Mrs Olson rub it on her face.  Miss Beedle also apparently didn't know what it was because when the kids turned in their leaves she also rubbed it all over her face, IIRC.  I know she was at least handling it because you could tell Laura wanted to tell her, but it was too late.

• Love 5
5 minutes ago, Katy M said:

To refresh your memory, the kids had an assignment to collect leaves (not even identify or anything, just collect*), and when Nellie heard that the Ingalls were going camping, she was afraid that they would get more/better leaves than her and so demanded that her parents take them camping.  I felt bad for poor Nels.  He wanted nothing to do with the whole project.

*Nellie and Willie grabbed some poison ivy.  Laura knew what it was and didn't tell them even as she watched Mrs Olson rub it on her face.  Miss Beedle also apparently didn't know what it was because when the kids turned in their leaves she also rubbed it all over her face, IIRC.  I know she was at least handling it because you could tell Laura wanted to tell her, but it was too late.

I remembered it involving poison ivy somehow. thanks for the write up.

1 hour ago, CountryGirl said:

I enjoyed the scratchy sounding music to accompany the poison ivy admiration. 

There was a lot of specific music themery going on in LH. Fire had its own music, poison ivy, Bunny the horse, and of course the 7,482 different renditions of Old Dan Tucker to accompany whatever mood Mr. Edwards was in.

• LOL 4
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, RedbirdNelly said:

I remembered it involving poison ivy somehow. thanks for the write up.

And poor Miss Beadle got it at the end also since Nellie and Willies collection of leaves won.

It was nice seeing Nels and Harriet out of the store and she was funny, but she had funnier episodes.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, CountryGirl said:

Oh yes and the super sad “Mary and Adam  are blind” theme. 

I'm going to hell, but I did actually LOL at that. 

1 hour ago, BigBingerBro said:

I always love the music played in Laura's dream where they are rich and the Olesons are poor.  I call it the "Country Bumpkin" theme.

Yes, I can hear that. I believe it's played with a Jew's Harp? 

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

A lot of interesting music in Here Comes the Brides. I don't know why that dopey episode always makes me laugh but i liked having a show without Charles and Caroline and just a little of Laura and Mary. Harriet was hysterical with her quips and I liked seeing Miss Beadle have a life.

• Love 4
On 1/31/2020 at 2:56 PM, jird said:

Yeah, one of the students told her she looked kinda small to be a teacher, so she bought the heeled shoes.

Speaking of teaching, I was watching the county fair episode where Mary totally ditches poor cute Patrick for the stupid balloon guy. Turns out maybe Mrs. Peele was right and Mary is a jezebel!😅

I saw the county fair episode the other day for the first time, I don't know how since I've been watching like my entire life (43). Mary was a total jezebel and the balloon guy was a future date rapist. But at least Bandit seemed to have found true love at the fair. 

I've never noticed Laura's nose job, but I'd love to know what they did to her jaw over a summer to fix her giant buck teeth that she had at the beginning. 

• Love 3
(edited)

I liked looking at the behind the scenes pictures. I always like to see how it's done even if some of the magic is gone and seeing a more relaxed cast. I thought I saw them all but there were many I didn't. I laughed at the 2 from The Handyman, one with Chris catching Caroline at the creek and then acting it out with Laura instead. ; ) 

https://www.pinterest.com/welcometomylittlehouse/little-house-behind-the-scenes/

Edited by debraran
  • Love 3

I've been doing a lot of reading (even more than I usually do) during the pandemic and picked up this book: The Wilder Life by Wendy McClure.

It's about a woman immerses herself in all things Laura, including churning her own butter and visiting many of the Little House sites, the latter of which I've always wanted to do. 

It's been a pretty quick and amusing read thus far. 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, CountryGirl said:

I've been doing a lot of reading (even more than I usually do) during the pandemic and picked up this book: The Wilder Life by Wendy McClure.

It's about a woman immerses herself in all things Laura, including churning her own butter and visiting many of the Little House sites, the latter of which I've always wanted to do. 

It's been a pretty quick and amusing read thus far. 

I really enjoyed that book a lot! 

• Love 2

I recently read "The Selected Letters of Laura Ingalls Wilder" and even she couldn't remember how the vanity cakes were made. She remembered her mother making them and how they tasted.  She eventually obtained a recipe.  Just thought it was interesting.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
(edited)

Goodness. I'm watching Sweet Sixteen and the age difference between Dean and Melissa looks so much more obvious now that I'm watching as an adult. I thought it was romantic when I was watching as a child.

If they ever remake it, I bet they wouldn't introduce Almanzo until both Laura and the actress are 18.

eta, it was also creepy how once he decided that he loves Laura, he wanted to marry her right away claiming two years is forever and trying to make her choose between him and her Pa. Say what? She *just* turned 16.

Edited by Snow Apple
  • Love 6

I've been watching way too much LH lately, and am realizing there are lots of times that Pa was really kind of a butthead.

• not telling Mary when she was going blind
  • not stopping Ma from finding out her ma died before she saw the coffin in the back of the wagon
  • getting all indignant when the Olesons wouldn't give credit to a complete stranger when they'd just moved to town
  • generally being the nosiest person in Walnut Grove
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, jird said:

I've been watching way too much LH lately, and am realizing there are lots of times that Pa was really kind of a butthead.

• not telling Mary when she was going blind
  • not stopping Ma from finding out her ma died before she saw the coffin in the back of the wagon
  • getting all indignant when the Olesons wouldn't give credit to a complete stranger when they'd just moved to town
  • generally being the nosiest person in Walnut Grove

I posted this before but what about the time the criminals broke into the blind school and one of them was about to assault Mary? Pa knocked him out, but then went to hold Mary without saying anything. If course Mary will assume it's the bad guy. Way to traumatize your blind daughter, butthead.

• Love 3