Type keyword(s) to search

Little House On The Prairie - General Discussion

Message added by Mod-LunarJester,

Culture Check: How can we empower each other with specific, constructive feedback? How can we redirect our focus towards actions, not individuals, and tackle passive-aggressive behavior by encouraging direct, respectful communication?

Check our guide on healthy debates for more info.

• Start Topic

Recently re-watching reruns of Bonanza from the early to mid 60s and one of the best things about is the vibrant color photography. When I think of LHOTP using the same crew but it has that 70s film look with realistic lighting and colors. Fitting for gritty crime movies and dramas at the time but boring. Makes me wish the show had been made a decade earlier.

1374226124_1.jpgSeason-One-Episode-Guide-for-Little-Hous

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 3

I always thought Mary's storylines were most unsettling. Everything bad that could happen, happened to her. She had to wear glasses (when no other kids did), she burned the brn down, she had surgery and almost died, her 14 year old fiancee cheated on her, she went mline, she had a stillborn baby, her other baby was killed in a fire, she thought she was regaining her sight but didn't, and then her husband regained his sight and she was sure he'd leave her. It was always something, always so tragic. (I hadn't realized it was fabricated.)

And I felt similarly about Mr. Edwards character. Such a good man but lost his first family to illness. Then shot himself and suffered paralysis. Struggled always w/ alcoholism. Then lost Grace and the Sanderson kids. Why did they have to take his second family away?

I mean, Charles and Caroline suffered their share of tragedies but I never really grieved for them (as a child).

4 minutes ago, VCRTracking said:

Recently re-watching reruns of Bonanza from the early to mid 60s and one of the best things about is the vibrant color photography. When I think of LHOTP using the same crew but it has that 70s film look with realistic lighting and colors. Fitting for gritty crime movies and dramas at the time but boring. Makes me wish the show had been made a decade earlier.

1374226124_1.jpgSeason-One-Episode-Guide-for-Little-Hous

And there's Michael, sans underwear...again.

• Love 5
On 9/6/2019 at 3:28 PM, RedbirdNelly said:

does it explain why poor Jack can't ride in the wagon???

I just watched the pilot again last week. The way it looked was they were surprised by the river and had forgotten all about Jack. And when Laura asked about him, Charles thought it was too risky to get out and get him...tho Charles wound up getting out anyways and pulling the team to the other shore. 

• Love 1
On 7/23/2019 at 10:19 AM, RedbirdNelly said:

I do hate inconsistencies. I also hate how there are so many cast people who only show up for one episode and then are never seen again. It would be nicer if they at least were in the background as opposed to presenting some issue for Laura or someone to resolved and disappearing forever.

A few good exceptions to this were Hans Dorfler, the town blacksmith, Mrs. Foster, who ran the post office after Grace Schneider married Mr. Edwards and the Kennedys, especially Christie and her father. Mrs. Whipple too. They were a step down from recurring secondary characters. But they were on enough that they weren't the one-and-done disappearing tertiary characters. Yeah, I agree, it would have been nice to have a few more of those.

4 hours ago, Glendenning said:

Is Carrie wearing shorts under her dress in that above photograph?

I still wouldn't mind a Greenbush and Turnbaugh headed spin-off. Much better idea than Laura Nose Job on the Prairie.

I think they are her bloomers. 

• Love 2

Well land sakes it's taken me forever to get back here.   Happy New Year ya'll!  I have questions that appear in no particular order.

S6 Ep 38? - Sweet Sixteen - How old is Mrs. Trembull supposed to be?  When she Brick-Heck anecdotally mumble whispers to herself she goes "Trembull, remember when you were 16..?"  When's that supposed to have been?   Same episode, Alamanzy comes to get Laura after her first week, tells her she looks grown and then in the carriage ride home, she hides her shoes.  Whyyyyyy?  It's been killing me forever!  She's been the same damn size since she was 12, he's seen em before.   That's probably my favorite episode of all time, but I've got absolutely no context.  Is a lady not supposed to display her ankles or...?

The next episode is called He Loves Me, He Loves Me Not - part 1.  Zalabaster is writing a proposal letter.   How much time has passed between the moment he realizes she's grown to this letter.   And if it's not ok for them to be seen at a church damn social unchaperoned, how are they courtin down to the lake alone??  

Why is the Sleepy Eye saloon opened at 7 in the morning?  

Nellie and Percival.  Um, so nobody kissed and dated back then huh?  You just told a dude you met last week you loved him (or not) and then ya'll held hands and he went to talk to your daddy? (or not?).  Why didn't they have a chuppah? 

A word about these HGTV accommodations.   Kitchen, living/dining room, ma/pa's room, upstairs loft, right?  front and back door and chimney.   Why did anybody ever go upstairs to have a conversation?  How did Carrie even happen in that house??  Charles was always hammering away at something so.......how come that house never got any bi..........got it.  Nevermind lol. 

Despite that all these young families move to Walnut Grove and then have young children, everybody still fits in that one lil ass schoolhouse on Sunday mornings huh?  mkay.   I shouldn'tve started rewatching, this didn't bother me at 11.

Ya'll ever seen a real life picture of Almanzo?  All I'm finna say is Laura, I hear you boo.   He was from the Mrs. Maisel's Dr. Benjamin tribe.

• Love 6
On 9/29/2019 at 11:21 PM, Glendenning said:

One of my favorite "1970s in the 1800s" on this show is Nellie naming her daughter "Jennifer". Um, *Jennifer*? In the late 19th century? Um, no...

For me, it's when Mary got her very obvious 1970's winged haircut and tried to hide the short layers with a barrette. She even mentioned this in her bio, when she talked about how she "cleverly" hid her Farrah bangs with a barrette.

Bitch, nobody was fooled by that!

I'm kind of surprised there hasn't been another attempt to reboot this show after the t.v. movie in the mid-2000's with Cameron Bancroft as Pa that failed to get enough interest for a full-fledged show.

Although I guess with the issues people have with the way blacks and Natives are depicted might be a bigger reason why. Still you'd think with the success of When Calls the Heart that Hallmark would be all over a reboot for this. A Hallmark production would probably film in Canada which would be closer to the actual geographic location of Walnut Grove, anyway.

• Love 3
13 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

I'm kind of surprised there hasn't been another attempt to reboot this show after the t.v. movie in the mid-2000's with Cameron Bancroft as Pa that failed to get enough interest for a full-fledged show.

Also with the various Anne of Green Gables re-boots!  Bring back Laura!

• Love 2

I always wondered why Laura wore her hair in braids for so long. Right up when she is trying to convince people she's old enough to be with Almonzo, she's still wearing the little girl braids. It seemed to me she should have flipped to a more mature hair style around then.

• Love 5
On 1/9/2020 at 9:00 AM, ZaldamoWilder said:

S6 Ep 38? - Sweet Sixteen - How old is Mrs. Trembull supposed to be?  When she Brick-Heck anecdotally mumble whispers to herself she goes "Trembull, remember when you were 16..?"  When's that supposed to have been?   Same episode, Alamanzy comes to get Laura after her first week, tells her she looks grown and then in the carriage ride home, she hides her shoes.  Whyyyyyy?  It's been killing me forever!  She's been the same damn size since she was 12, he's seen em before.   That's probably my favorite episode of all time, but I've got absolutely no context.  Is a lady not supposed to display her ankles or...?

The next episode is called He Loves Me, He Loves Me Not - part 1.  Zalabaster is writing a proposal letter.   How much time has passed between the moment he realizes she's grown to this letter.   And if it's not ok for them to be seen at a church damn social unchaperoned, how are they courtin down to the lake alone??  

Why is the Sleepy Eye saloon opened at 7 in the morning?  

Nellie and Percival.  Um, so nobody kissed and dated back then huh?  You just told a dude you met last week you loved him (or not) and then ya'll held hands and he went to talk to your daddy? (or not?).  Why didn't they have a chuppah? 

A word about these HGTV accommodations.   Kitchen, living/dining room, ma/pa's room, upstairs loft, right?  front and back door and chimney.   Why did anybody ever go upstairs to have a conversation?  How did Carrie even happen in that house??  Charles was always hammering away at something so.......how come that house never got any bi..........got it.  Nevermind lol. 

Despite that all these young families move to Walnut Grove and then have young children, everybody still fits in that one lil ass schoolhouse on Sunday mornings huh?  mkay.   I shouldn'tve started rewatching, this didn't bother me at 11.

Ya'll ever seen a real life picture of Almanzo?  All I'm finna say is Laura, I hear you boo.   He was from the Mrs. Maisel's Dr. Benjamin tribe.

If I recall,  Laura had bought a pair of shoes with heels with her first paycheck,  I think that's what she was hiding.  

Again,  IIRC, Nellie & Percival didn't have a religious ceremony.  I thought it was odd, too, that she realized she loved him then off to the alter the next day!

My cousin & I were talking about the Little Women movies & how we have to remember these things are 'based' on the books. Told her all of the things in LHOTP TV show that were Michael Landon's imagination,  in fact,  if you watch Bonanza, a lot of similar storylines.  But,  told her Real Pa looked nothing like TV Pa! 

I always wondered why everyone else had a normal house with rooms except for the Ingalls!

On 1/10/2020 at 12:10 AM, methodwriter85 said:

Although I guess with the issues people have with the way blacks and Natives are depicted might be a bigger reason why. Still you'd think with the success of When Calls the Heart that Hallmark would be all over a reboot for this. A Hallmark production would probably film in Canada which would be closer to the actual geographic location of Walnut Grove, anyway.

I saw a movie recently where Richard Thomas (John-Boy, Waltons) played Pa, Rose was about 7-8 years old,  I think. 

9 hours ago, RedbirdNelly said:

I always wondered why Laura wore her hair in braids for so long. Right up when she is trying to convince people she's old enough to be with Almonzo, she's still wearing the little girl braids. It seemed to me she should have flipped to a more mature hair style around then.

I saw the very last episode the other day where the town is blown up.  What caught my attention was Laura was wearing the same dress Ma bought her when she got her teaching certificate, the red dress with flowers.   It dawned on me that any episode where  LIW has to dress up, she wears that dress.  Guess she wasn't allowed any new dress clothes. 

• Love 1

I think ML keeping the Turnbaugh Twins in that high chair after they got way too old for it was a mistake. Guess ML was expressing some subconcious rage at his childhood again... (see also: Carrie the Pee Puddler)

• LOL 2

I saw an episode a couple of weeks ago that I had never seen before.  Laura & Pa went hunting,  she found a bottle with a message asking for a friend.  They went back a bit later & Laura found a baby hidden in a tree or something.  They took the baby home with them.  Laura wanted to pretend it was her baby,  even named her, Grace, which I thought was odd that Ma & Pa would name their last baby Grace. 

Rev Alden finally helped them track down the real mom. 

I really disliked Laura in this episode 

There were several episodes where I disliked her as a kid but I think I disliked her in every episode when she was an 'adult'.  The season before she married Almonzo, she was a kid, playing a clown in the circus,  running around the school yard,  then suddenly,  she was an adult,  yelling at the kids in her classroom for acting exactly as she did the season before.  She was into fishing and stick ball the season before,  then suddenly a box with worms and bugs terrified her.  

• Love 4

Yeah, Laura as an adult was quite harsh. In addition to yelling at students, she didn't act too fond of Almonzo when she worshipped him before they married.

I think it's because Melissa was still young and didn't know how to play mature so it came across as bitchy.

I liked her scene during the Nellie reunion though. She had a bit of her old spark back.

• Love 4

Melissa Gilbert was always obnoxious, though. A flash in the pan who was given Helen Keller and Anne Frank when she was woefully out of her depth. It's somewhat mystifying - to me - that MSA has gotten most of the opprobrium over the years when MG is far worse IMO. 

• Love 3
11 hours ago, PaulBMA said:

A flash in the pan who was given Helen Keller and Anne Frank when she was woefully out of her depth.

Out of morbid curiosity, I really want to see her try to play Natalie Wood's part in the Splendor in the Grass remake she did. I cannot imagine the shrieking she did in the bathtub scene. LOL.

I kind of wonder what it would have been like if this show had kept going and we were continued being subjected to Shannen Doherty re-enacting Laura's storylines as Jenny Wilder.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • LOL 3
6 hours ago, PaulBMA said:

Don't worry, Shannen Doherty would have been let go soon enough, just as she was on 90210 and Charmed 😉

I never watched LHOTP in its original run,  started watching late 90's. It was just recently it clicked with me that 'Jenny' was 'Brenda' from 90210 and her dad on LHOTP was played by the chancellor from 90210!

14 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

Out of morbid curiosity, I really want to see her try to play Natalie Wood's part in the Splendor in the Grass remake she did. I cannot imagine the shrieking she did in the bathtub scene. LOL.

I saw it back in the day. I was young can't remember anything about it except it was the usual Melissa Gilbert acting.

I also saw Melissa's version of The Miracle Worker and thought it was pretty good. Then I saw Patty Duke's movie and was completely blown away. I need to read Patty's book again because I remember she wrote interesting stories about both versions including a bit about Melissa.

Edited by Snow Apple
  • Love 2
On 1/14/2020 at 6:15 PM, alegtostandon said:

If I recall,  Laura had bought a pair of shoes with heels with her first paycheck,  I think that's what she was hiding.  

Again,  IIRC, Nellie & Percival didn't have a religious ceremony.  I thought it was odd, too, that she realized she loved him then off to the alter the next day!

My cousin & I were talking about the Little Women movies & how we have to remember these things are 'based' on the books. Told her all of the things in LHOTP TV show that were Michael Landon's imagination,  in fact,  if you watch Bonanza, a lot of similar storylines.  But,  told her Real Pa looked nothing like TV Pa! 

I always wondered why everyone else had a normal house with rooms except for the Ingalls!

I saw a movie recently where Richard Thomas (John-Boy, Waltons) played Pa, Rose was about 7-8 years old,  I think. 

I saw the very last episode the other day where the town is blown up.  What caught my attention was Laura was wearing the same dress Ma bought her when she got her teaching certificate, the red dress with flowers.   It dawned on me that any episode where  LIW has to dress up, she wears that dress.  Guess she wasn't allowed any new dress clothes. 

I think the Olsens were just thrilled that someone loved Nellie enough to marry her! I have to confess, I loved the scene when it dawns on her that Percival "likes" her. I thought it was sweet to see the spoiled Nellie "cured" by love. Very Taming of the Shrew. 

Laura wearing the same dress was probably not uncommon in the day. Unless you were wealthy, you probably had only one or two "nice dresses".

• Love 3
5 hours ago, alegtostandon said:

I never watched LHOTP in its original run,  started watching late 90's. It was just recently it clicked with me that 'Jenny' was 'Brenda' from 90210 and her dad on LHOTP was played by the chancellor from 90210!

Alison Arngrim joked in her book that Shannen Doherty was doing her damndest to impersonate Melissa Gilbert or something along those lines. She was surprisingly charitable to Nancy, because she thought that the actress was putting a different spin on the spoiled brat type rather than just straight up playing Nellie. Whereas Nellie thought she was entitled to everything because everyone loved her, Nancy thought she entitled to everything because everybody hated her. Which kind of made sense for an orphan.

• Love 4
8 minutes ago, Snow Apple said:

I saw it back in the day. I was young can't remember anything about it except it was the usual Melissa Gilbert acting.

I also saw Melissa's version of The Miracle Worker and thought it was pretty good. Then I saw Patty Duke's movie and was completely blown away. I need to read Patty's book again because I remember she wrote interesting stories about both versions including a bit about Melissa.

I saw Splendor when it came out and don't really remember too much about it. I didn't think she was bad in it. 

If I remember correctly Patty was quite complimentary of Melissa. 

• Love 1

I don't know which episode as I'm more of a casual viewer so I don't know the episode title but ML says to MG something like "I haven't been whipping you in a while, and I think iIve been making a mistake!" and MG goes "No, Pa, please, don't! I didn't mean it!"

Charles should have just gone ahead and whipped Laura.

There's an episode of The Saddle Club where little sister Melanie humiliates Lisa Atwood by showing a photo of Lisa naked as a baby to Alpha Bitches Veronica and Kristi, and I feel that Lisa should have given Melanie a smack right then and there.

Yes The Saddle Club is aimed at girls and I'm a guy...

• LOL 1
1 hour ago, libgirl2 said:

I think the Olsens were just thrilled that someone loved Nellie enough to marry her! I have to confess, I loved the scene when it dawns on her that Percival "likes" her. I thought it was sweet to see the spoiled Nellie "cured" by love. Very Taming of the Shrew. 

unrealistic or not, I just enjoyed the episodes of Nellie and Percival and Nellie becoming a much better person. Maybe because of becoming fans of Nellie despite hating her, I was somehow cheering for her in a way and nice to see a turnaround. I remember when he dumps the eggs on her, says something about her being way too pretty to need a restaurant to get a husband and she's all happy because he called her pretty. :)

Thanks for those who brought up Cousin Jenny. I hate Cousin Jenny characters. they never work.

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, RedbirdNelly said:

unrealistic or not, I just enjoyed the episodes of Nellie and Percival and Nellie becoming a much better person. Maybe because of becoming fans of Nellie despite hating her, I was somehow cheering for her in a way and nice to see a turnaround. I remember when he dumps the eggs on her, says something about her being way too pretty to need a restaurant to get a husband and she's all happy because he called her pretty. 🙂

Thanks for those who brought up Cousin Jenny. I hate Cousin Jenny characters. they never work.

I always liked watching Nellie even at her worst. And I always wanted to see more of her and Percival! Didn't she say "he called me pretty" with this totally gaga look on her face? 

No, Cousin Jennys don't work, neither do orphaned James or Cassandras...... 

• Love 2

Speaking of twins on shows, there was a wonderful line on TV Tropes Dot Org taken from a post on the old TWOP about how the parents would have to explain to their (cis) sons why they were on television playing a (cis) girl as a baby but a trans activist removed it as transphobic.

• Love 2
21 minutes ago, libgirl2 said:

I always liked watching Nellie even at her worst. And I always wanted to see more of her and Percival! Didn't she say "he called me pretty" with this totally gaga look on her face? 

No, Cousin Jennys don't work, neither do orphaned James or Cassandras...... 

exactly. I think the line is "He called me pretty!" with eggs running down her hair.

Agree on James, Cassandras, etc.

Albert may be the only "hey, let's add a new kid character" that seemed to work. He never felt like a Cousin Oliver (Brady Bunch reference) add on to me.

• Love 4

I feel that Albert worked because he was introduced and worked into the story in a logical way over several episodes and he had some strong scenes early on,   It wasn't like he just suddenly appeared and was part of the show in the span of one episode.

• Love 4

does anyone have the scoop on Albert being added? was it because Mary's character was gone as a day-to-day person for Laura and Pa to interact with (since she's at the school) and Carrie was not showing signs of growing into a real character?

I never had a problem with anyone's acting skills - it was the storylines and the melodrama that finally got me tuning out.  I saw one or two later episodes with Laura married and that was one or two episodes too many.

• Love 3
29 minutes ago, RedbirdNelly said:

does anyone have the scoop on Albert being added?

I seem to recall hearing mentioned that it was an attempt to appeal to more young male viewers, since the stories were told from a female centrist point of view. I’m male, but I liked the books growing up, mostly, because they’re one of the better documented pioneer stories out there. Of course, it wasn’t until later that I learned that much of the children’s books were fictionalized, and if you want the real scoop, you need to pick up the Pioneer Girl transcript.

Interestingly, ML included the birth and death of baby Freddie, who was indeed a real life character (unlike Albert). But the real Laura left him out of the books altogether. I also find it kind of odd that in the books, Laura never once referred to Walnut Grove Minnesota by name, but rather “Plum Creek” Minnesota.

Edited by wanton87
  • Love 2

I remember an episode after Laura was married and she was mad at Almanzo for hanging out with an old girlfriend. The B plot was a running joke that Pa kept needing to buy new glass window panes because they kept breaking in wacky ways.

Imgine my surprise and delight when I stumbled on an episode of Bonanza which had the same running joke.

Edited by Snow Apple
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
11 minutes ago, Snow Apple said:

Imgine my surprise and delight when I stumbled on an episode of Bonanza which had the same running joke.

Right. There were more than a few episodes that ML recycled from Bonanza.

Some of the episodes written by Michael Landon were recycled storylines from ones that he had written for Bonanza. Season two's "A Matter of Faith" was based on the Bonanza episode "A Matter of Circumstance"; season five's "Someone Please Love Me" was based on the Bonanza episode "A Dream To Dream"; season seven's "The Silent Cry" was based on the Bonanza episode "The Sound of Sadness"; season eight's "He Was Only Twelve" was based on the Bonanza episode "He Was Only Seven"; and season nine's "Little Lou" was based on the Bonanza episode "It's A Small World".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_House_on_the_Prairie_(TV_series)

12 hours ago, Snow Apple said:

I remember an episode after Laura was married and she was mad at Almanzo for hanging out with an old girlfriend. The B plot was a running joke that Pa kept needing to buy new glass window panes because they kept breaking in wacky ways.

And for a family with little means, glass was expensive!

12 hours ago, BigBingerBro said:

I feel that Albert worked because he was introduced and worked into the story in a logical way over several episodes and he had some strong scenes early on,   It wasn't like he just suddenly appeared and was part of the show in the span of one episode.

Yes, Albert never bothered me. I actually I liked him.

• Love 3
19 hours ago, wanton87 said:

Right. There were more than a few episodes that ML recycled from Bonanza.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_House_on_the_Prairie_(TV_series)

That was the article I had read before.  I had also seen some recycled storylines on a show called Father Murphy, I think,  had the guy whose wife,  Alice,  was killed in the blind school fire on LHOTP.  I am not sure if that was a ML show. I have only seen a few episodes. 

Re: LIW red dress that she wore for years,  I understand that it may be an expense to buy a new dress,  but to me,  it was odd that the very last episode,  she was still wearing the same dress that was purchased when she was 15, after going through 2 pregnancies and losing every other posession when the Wilder homestead was destroyed in the tornado. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, alegtostandon said:

That was the article I had read before.  I had also seen some recycled storylines on a show called Father Murphy, I think,  had the guy whose wife,  Alice,  was killed in the blind school fire on LHOTP.  I am not sure if that was a ML show.

Didn’t know that, so thanks for the added info. I actually did watch the Father Murphy series, but since I never really watched Bonanza, I wouldn’t likely have recognized the recycled plots. Yes, you are right. It was produced by ML, and starred Merlin Olsen, formerly Jonathan Garvey in little house. It also featured Moses Gunn, who also previously starred in little house.

Here’s some trivia for you all. Catherine Cannon, who played Mae in Father Murphy, is married in real life to the guy that played Almanzo in little house. That same lady played the mother of one of the 90210 characters (I believe it was Donna?).

That Father Murphy series isn’t half bad, and those that like little house, would probably like it as well. The bad guy in it, was this evil, Snidely Whiplash looking little dude, that basically excelled in these evil incarnate type of roles. Here he is. Most of you probably recognize him, if not by name, by image.

Charles Tyner

Charles Tyner-square-242.jpg

• Love 2

I had read somewhere that she played Donna Martin's mom on 90210, you would never know,  they looked nothing alike.  I will need to check Netflix for additional episodes.  One of the cable channels was showing it on weekends but must have stopped. 

I had no idea Donna Martin's mom was married to Almonzo! 

At first,  I thought that guy was Freddy Krueger, lol!  I do remember him being the guy wanting to shut down the orphanage on FM.  I then remember he was on the episode of LHOTP where Albert was addicted to cocaine,  he was the owner of the clothing store where Pa worked,  he was evil in that,  too!

Edited by alegtostandon
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, BigBingerBro said:

Wasn't it morphine?

Right, it was morphine. Then he tapped into Ol’ Doc’s stash, that went to patients that truly needed it. It seemed that everywhere that 19th century Damien went, death, mayhem, or at the very least, a first class con job, was sure to follow 😜

Edited by wanton87
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Snow Apple said:

Father Murphy was where I first noticed a little actress named Shannon Doherty who was only in one episode. Say what you will about her as an adult but I thought she was cute and memorable as a child.

Was that before her Jenny Wilder days?  I do think that was one I had seen,  was it where they thought she was a boy at first?