Type keyword(s) to search

Hoarders - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Just for the record.  One can search "cleaning up a hoarded house" on YouTube and get some good pointers.

The problem with most of these people they are too lazy or stubborn to even start the process.  Yes, some (like the man last week) are mentally ill, but I suspect they are NOT the majority of cases.

• Love 4

Posted earlier this month about a property in the Koreatown section of Los Angeles: 

And from a couple days later when - of course - having it hit the news finally spurred some action.

I do have to say it's extremely satisfying as a viewer to see the small Bobcat tractor just "have at it" - no gentle organization, hand-holding or "The Zaz" therapy here! Just bulldoze that stash!

Edited by RobustRutabaga
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3

The Korea town house is owned by a 90 year old woman, who blamed the hoard on her son, but he blamed it on her.   However, after 10 years of trying, the neighbors finally had the city ready to clean up the yard, and the owner signed a permission.     I wonder if there will be codes enforcement, or the fire inspector looking at the inside after the outside is cleaned up?  I hope so.   There's even a car buried under the garbage in the driveway.

I think most of the hoarders we see on this show use their hoard as a way to keep people away.   Having family and friends come to the house is their worst nightmare, and they don't keep it clean because many of the hoarders build a wall to keep people away. 

• Love 2

Dr Zasio is right, though, about hoarders re-offending. This morning I re-watched the Hoarding: Buried Alive episode featuring the twins, Patty and Phyllis who lived in small-town Illinois. They'd already been evicted from one home and had it torn down and by this episode (2013) they were in the same situation again in a new property. Rather than clean it, they ended up giving it back to the county, and it, too, was knocked down. Out of curiosity, I looked up what had happened since and, lo and behold, they are in the same situation again.

10 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I think most of the hoarders we see on this show use their hoard as a way to keep people away.   Having family and friends come to the house is their worst nightmare, and they don't keep it clean because many of the hoarders build a wall to keep people away. 

I know that's the conventional wisdom (or at least what the psychologists always say), but I personally believe it's the direct opposite.  Family STOPS coming around (kids grow up, move away, have their own families and lives; the hoarder loses a spouse to death or divorce; friends fall away as friends sometimes do), so the hoarder stops caring.  This one also lost her job.  Lonely, depressed, and isolated, he/she ceases to care - after all, no one sees the house anyway - and the hoarding begins.  Some, like this one, find new friends and family on the buying channel and hoard collectibles.  Notice how most of them perk right up and get motivated and busy once they ARE once again surrounded by their friends, family, and treacly, solicitous "Hoarders" crew.  But filming ends, they're all alone again, and 90% start rehoarding.

I did chuckle when Zaz claimed the place had been picked up by Carmen before they arrived, and they showed the exact same empty Zaxby's soft drink cup still precariously teetering on that counter ledge.

Edited by all4mom2
  • Love 4
15 hours ago, all4mom2 said:

I know that's the conventional wisdom (or at least what the psychologists always say), but I personally believe it's the direct opposite.  Family STOPS coming around (kids grow up, move away, have their own families and lives; the hoarder loses a spouse to death or divorce; friends fall away as friends sometimes do), so the hoarder stops caring.

I think both scenarios happen. Depression and grief can certainly lead to isolation and a lack of caring about one's living situation. However, several hoarders have indicated that their hoarding was triggered by trauma or abuse (sexual assault, alcoholic spouse, abusive parent, etc.) and have explicitly stated that they use the hoard to keep people out and give themselves a sense of security that they never got from the people in their lives. And it's not just hoarding; a depressingly high number of people on My 600-Pound Life started gaining weight after being sexually assaulted, often as a deliberate attempt to make themselves as unattractive as possible to avoid further assaults. It's a very sad, but seemingly not uncommon, coping mechanism.

I tend to be more optimistic about people like Carmen, who was probably always a bit of a shopaholic/packrat, but had things spiral out of control after her husband died until she was overwhelmed and couldn't see a way out. She seems to have a good support system and now that her house is usable again she can hopefully move forward. Maybe I'm giving her too much credit, but at the end when she turned around from her clean comfortable room to look at the next room filled to the ceiling with her holiday collectibles, it looked liked things were really starting to click into place for her. I think she even acknowledged that it was a ridiculous amount of decorations, which is more than most of these hoarders admit. She still has a long way to go, but I'm rooting for her. 

• Love 2

I watched this episode On Demand, and I had to fast forward most of it.  Dr. Zazio talking too much.  By the way, has anyone mentioned her obvious botox treatment?  Actually, I don't know whether it's Botox or plastic surgery, but in the first episode this season, I noticed her forehead is smoother, and her eyebrows are oddly out of place.   Carmen had a lot of good quality tablecloths from Williams Sonoma...why doesn't she just sell them, maybe on eBay.  Or have a yard sale.  There was a lot of good stuff.  For some reason the On Demand episode stopped abruptly before it was over.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, knuckles491 said:

By the way, has anyone mentioned her obvious botox treatment?

I think it might be fillers--or fillers in addition to Botox. She had a big lump of something over her left eyebrow, maybe filler that hadn't had enough time to settle. Whatever she's had done has really deformed her face.

17 hours ago, Mondrianyone said:

I think it might be fillers--or fillers in addition to Botox. She had a big lump of something over her left eyebrow, maybe filler that hadn't had enough time to settle. Whatever she's had done has really deformed her face.

I don't think she's new to the botox/plastic surgery thing and the deformed face is probably the result of decades of "aging prevention". These things usually take their toll after years and years of (ab)use, except for the occasional dramatically botched work.

Take Hunter Tylo. She's now disfigured but that's the result of decades of surgery abuse. She was super gorgeous in the 90's but already a surgery addict then.

• Love 1

I didn't realize there was a new season! Guess I have some catching up to do.

Terri and Kraig were a cute couple when they were younger. But he's waited 45 years for her to get her shit together?

She's a live-in caregiver and is hoarding out the house of her employer? Holy crap.

---

Now I'm up to Paul (not a lot to say about Tiffany...). The amount of subtitles they need because he's blubbering so much is getting annoying. If I wanted to read I wouldn't be watching this crap.

Wannabe psychologist Dorothy is also as irritating as ever.

While it was a little annoying watching him sit while everyone else moved stuff around, it's probably better that he's not touching things. It's a tip I've seen for general (non-hoarder) decluttering, getting a friend to help by holding things up so you don't have to touch them, because the more you handle them the more you'll want to keep them.

Dorothy: "So I have to chop down, weed wack..." While they show the cleanup company guys doing all the work. So what's this "I have to" all about?

When they gave the ashes to Paul..."we'll give you some time" (but we'll keep the camera on you while you grieve).

I will never understand Dr. Z's lacy tops and high heels when she's working in spaces like this.

---

Carl:

The calendar on his fridge said February 1997.

He should probably just stay in assisted living. I suspect he will never again open that locked door.

---

My favorite part of Carmen's episode was her daughter's t-shirts:
I came, I saw, I had anxiety, so I left

I'm not arguing. I'm simply explaining why I'm right.

I really didn't need to hear their letters to Michael. How many family meetings did they have, anyway? The melodrama in this one was too much for me.

The house did look relatively clean and undamaged under all that crap, at least.

Edited by ams1001
Binged the next four episodes; didn't want to make five posts.
  • LOL 1
  • Love 8

Tonight's horrow show "Kate" Weaverville, NC (an adorable town). 

Spoiler

A former realtor.   Everything in her living room is 4 ft. high in stuff, kitchen barely has a path, only one door has a narrow path to the outside.    I feel so sorry for her four children.   Kate is living in the basement, it's full of mold.  City found out about the house conditions, with code enforcement fines of $50 a day, for her nuisance yard.      Kate used to stage houses for clients, and now it's all in the house.   

It's so sad to see her adult children, and their spouses and partners say the impact of Kate's hoarding, and financial issues affecting them.   I have zero hope that Kate will clean out.  The first marriage ended in divorce about 2008, and the second marriage the husband died a few months ago.   

Dr. Tolin can barely get to the house.      Kate grew up Jehovah's Witness, her father was a minister, and was very restricted in her activities. The father was physically abusive.   She sleeps in the basement, and Dr. Tolin points out the danger in case of fire.   

Brandon is the organizer. Ivana, Kate's daughter comes in the house too.    The house is about five feet deep, with a few trails.  I feel so sorry for the daughter, because I don't think Kate cares about anything but her hoard.    

The front yard cleanup is moving quickly, until the rain shows up. The big snag is when Kate realizes that her stuff is going to the dump.   The stuff that's been out in the weather is easier to let go, but when they go into the house I think things will change dramatically. 

I agree with the daughter, there will never be this amount of resources, and help to clean out the house.      I wonder what was living in that yard in the hoard?    The house has a lot of rats.   Kate keeps talking about one oriental rug, and how valuable it is, but I doubt any cleaning process could make that rug usable, and safe again.    From what her kids are saying, the hoarding was always an issue.   Brandon is so good working with people. 

After arguing about the amount of stuff she's keeping, Kate goes back into her house.   The daughter says (I hope I got the right person), Kate has always chosen stuff over them.  I'm sure the amount of time the one son has to use helping Kate must be interfering with the rest of his life.  

Kate seems to be embracing the clean up.  The house looks so good after.  I hope the house stays clean.  As Brandon says, they rarely do the entire house, and yard.    

BSOJ-(update screen)- Kate accepted after care and is going to aftercare.  The air confitioner is repaired, and mold is gone.  She's talking about moving to another state to be closer to her father, and siblings.   (Sorry, but I don't think she should be anywhere near her father).   

It did say her siblings, and father?  I'm hoping I got that wrong.    I find it concerning that she suddenly decided to clean out everything from the whole house, and then the ending update said she's planning on selling and moving several states away by her siblings, and abusive father.    I'm wondering when she decided to move?   And why?   I'm wondering if she's angry, and viewed the clean up as interfering, and betrayal?    Or did she plan to move all along, and wanted the house cleaned out for free?  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 5
8 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

Tonight's horrow show "Kate" Weaverville, NC (an adorable town).   A former realtor.   Everything in her living room is 4 ft. high in stuff, kitchen barely has a path, only one door has a narrow path to the outside.    I feel so sorry for her four children.   Kate is living in the basement, it's full of mold.  City found out about the house conditions, with code enforcement fines of $50 a day, for her nuisance yard.      Kate used to stage houses for clients, and now it's all in the house.   

It's so sad to see her adult children, and their spouses and partners say the impact of Kate's hoarding, and financial issues affecting them.   I have zero hope that Kate will clean out.  The first marriage ended in divorce about 2008, and the second marriage the husband died a few months ago.   

Dr. Tolin can barely get to the house.      Kate grew up Jehovah's Witness, her father was a minister, and was very restricted in her activities. The father was physically abusive.   She sleeps in the basement, and Dr. Tolin points out the danger in case of fire.   

Brandon is the organizer. Ivana, Kate's daughter comes in the house too.    The house is about five feet deep, with a few trails.  I feel so sorry for the daughter, because I don't think Kate cares about anything but her hoard.    

The front yard cleanup is moving quickly, until the rain shows up. The big snag is when Kate realizes that her stuff is going to the dump.   The stuff that's been out in the weather is easier to let go, but when they go into the house I think things will change dramatically. 

I agree with the daughter, there will never be this amount of resources, and help to clean out the house.      I wonder what was living in that yard in the hoard?    The house has a lot of rats.   Kate keeps talking about one oriental rug, and how valuable it is, but I doubt any cleaning process could make that rug usable, and safe again.    From what her kids are saying, the hoarding was always an issue.   Brandon is so good working with people. 

After arguing about the amount of stuff she's keeping, Kate goes back into her house.   The daughter says (I hope I got the right person), Kate has always chosen stuff over them.  I'm sure the amount of time the one son has to use helping Kate must be interfering with the rest of his life.  

Kate seems to be embracing the clean up.  The house looks so good after.  I hope the house stays clean.  As Brandon says, they rarely do the entire house, and yard.    

BSOJ-(update screen)- Kate accepted after care and is going to aftercare.  The air confitioner is repaired, and mold is gone.  She's talking about moving to another state to be closer to her father, and siblings.   (Sorry, but I don't think she should be anywhere near her father).   

I'm wondering why you post this complete synopsis before many of us have had a chance to see the show.  I know I don't have to read it, but it's hard not to catch snippets as one scrolls down to see if others have commented.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
3 minutes ago, Roxie said:

I'm wondering why you post this complete synopsis before many of us have had a chance to see the show.  I know I don't have to read it, but it's hard not to catch snippets as one scrolls down to see if others have commented.

Good point.  Sorry about that.     I put almost everything in a spoiler box.   I didn't realize the show had more than one feed, with different time zones.    

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I'm wondering if she's angry, and viewed the clean up as interfering, and betrayal? 

Maybe she knew all along that she wanted to move, but the house wouldn't sell unless it was cleaned up. They can be pretty sneaky, our hoarders,

• Useful 4
  • Love 1

I'm mad at A&E.  I fell asleep during the last half of last night's show (their fault for making it two hours long) so this morning I went to their site to watch "latest episode" going through various signing-in shenanigans -- only to find out that "latest episode " was Delores from quite some time ago. 

However Delores was a good one to see again.  This woman had a fabulous big house in a swanky neighborhood completely trashed, tons of money in consumer debt, yet a husband who cried when he talked about how much he loved her.

Where do they find these men?  Mine wouldn't put up with even level one hoarding and the checking account would have been closed long ago.  Plus she looked like Al Pacino in a black scraggly wig.

Underneath the hoard was something I didn't know existed French Rococo furniture.  Amazing

• LOL 2
  • Love 2

Zzzzzzzzzzzzz!  This one-hoarder/two-hour format is definitely not working for me.  And although I can't stand camera-hog Dorothy, at least she's more interesting than this new organizer!

Edited by all4mom2
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, JudyObscure said:

Maybe she knew all along that she wanted to move, but the house wouldn't sell unless it was cleaned up. They can be pretty sneaky, our hoarders,

Maybe she got a windfall and wants to take advantage of it; I'm sure she was her deceased husband's life insurance beneficiary.

• Useful 4
3 hours ago, JudyObscure said:

Yeah, wonder what her kids think if so- although they may just be happy she's going to be somebody else's problem. Don't really understand why she'd want to be closer to her abusive father, but🤔

• Love 1
On 11/20/2021 at 9:41 PM, ams1001 said:

I will never understand Dr. Z's lacy tops and high heels when she's working in spaces like this.

😄    Yeah - she often looks to me like she's ready for a night of clubbing; she's one drink order and a matching purse away from that. I see she was born in 1965 and is now 56 and while nowhere near "old" in the world at all, her outfits are more like a 20-something (or, pushing it, being generous, a 30-something) might wear.

Interestingly, in earlier seasons I thought she was more subdued and frequently was rocking multiple layers, turtlenecks, sharp blazers/jackets, etc.  I understand some of these climates are hellishly hot and humid. But combined with the obvious facial work I wonder if she's insecure about aging and over-compensating in outfits and facial enhancements.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
4 minutes ago, RobustRutabaga said:

😄    Yeah - she often looks to me like she's ready for a night of clubbing; she's one drink order and a matching purse away from that. I see she was born in 1965 and is now 56 and while nowhere near "old" in the world at all, her outfits are more like a 20-something (or, pushing it, being generous, a 30-something) might wear.

Interestingly, in earlier seasons I thought she was more subdued and frequently was rocking multiple layers, turtlenecks, sharp blazers/jackets, etc.  I understand some of these climates are hellishly hot and humid. But combined with the obvious facial work I wonder if she's insecure about aging and over-compensating in outfits and facial enhancements.

I mean, I'm 46 and I'd wear her outfits to work...but I work in an office (and I'd need a sweater or jacket because it's freezing in here). (Except maybe the heels; I don't do heels much.) I really liked the purplish-red top with the lace front. But I wouldn't wear it to work in a hoard. (Also I wish I had her arms.)

The unmoving forehead is a tad unnerving.

• Love 2
13 minutes ago, Mediocre Gatsby said:

I laughed out loud! 

Heehee. 😊

Watching Kate right now. Do we know how old she is? She looks really young. She just seems so sad (not that I blame her). They just showed a shot from above of the deck with the pool below it after it had been cleared of most of the stuff; it could be such a nice yard. 

Edited by ams1001
  • Love 1

I did not fall asleep during the second hour. But I'm darned if I can tell why, all of a sudden, things started leaving the property.  

The finished property was so very, very different from most efforts: the rooms looked as if they could be lived in with enough but not too much furniture, with wall decorations, etc.  The master bedroom was good, the other two were ghastly crowded but that is a reality in a lot of more recent houses. 

Where she lived is a lovely part of the world, with Asheville just down the road. Why would she want to move closer to her Father? 

• Love 3
16 minutes ago, enoughcats said:

The finished property was so very, very different from most efforts: the rooms looked as if they could be lived in with enough but not too much furniture, with wall decorations, etc.  The master bedroom was good, the other two were ghastly crowded but that is a reality in a lot of more recent houses. 

The house looked pretty decent when they were done. The people involved were actually, dare I say it, pleasant! Clearly they have their share of sadness and frustration but they seem to get along pretty well and there were no screaming matches or anything, which was nice.

• Love 1

Interesting family dynamic.  Here's how I saw it.

Oldest son not there.

Middle son who cried and reached out to comfort mom when she cried.  Middle kids often show the traits of peacemaker and people-pleasers.  

Youngest son, whose wife just wants mom's issues to be resolved so she can begin to have a more normal relationship with her husband that might even include children.

Only daughter and youngest child who is sick of the whole thing and has no f***s to give about mom's issues.

Mom who married a second husband who was NOT a collector or hoarder.  I just keep imagining the poor guy's last years of life surrounded by all that chaos.  He had only died two or three months before the show was filmed, so she couldn't blame the hoarding on her grief.  

I got the feeling she wanted to move closer to her siblings and father because she knew she'd worn out her welcome with her kids, and if she brought one more piece of crap into that house, youngest son and daughter were DONE with her.  I can see her siblings and father being done, too, as she begins a new hoard in her new home.

• Like 1
  • Love 5

I have the suspicion that she was already house shopping, or bought something where she was moving to, and wanted the house cleaned out for sale.   I bet the garaged stuff was either for staging the current house, or what she's moving with her.    

I was confused at the family dynamic, until I realized the oldest son wasn't being tricked into 'helping' on the clean out.   I really can't stand when the psychologists start in on the family and friends, doing anything to keep them filming.     I hate how the family and friends are told that they're going to help on one last clean out, when they've probably done this over and over, and know that the hoarding will never end. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 5

Now that Dancing with the Stars is done I'm actually watching an episode in real time! (Just in time for the finale to be next week...is this an even shorter season than in the past? Or does it just feel shorter because I watched the first few episodes at once? There are 6 episodes listed on the OnDemand menu so far, so I guess there will be 8 total.)

Peggy hasn't slept in her bedroom since 2012. That's almost as long as I've lived in my condo (which Facebook just reminded me I closed on ten years ago today).

I just finished reading a book called How to Manage Your Home Without Losing Your Mind, which has a 28-day thing at the end to build cleaning habits. The first few days are just "do the dishes" and "put away the dishes." I think it would take 28 days just to do the dishes once in these houses.

I've totally lost track of all the people/relationships here. Didn't catch who Dorothy was that she inherited her house from.

"Compulsive Holarding"?  You'd think with two hours in one location, they'd have time to get the wording right.  

Looks like Dorothy (the organizer) is back...  😫

Did Matt Paxton really quit after the mansion episode?  I remember he threatened to.

Dorothy the gifter of the house was someone the hoarder took care of while living in her basement -- and filling it up with stuff (sounds like she was living in an RV before that?).  Another hoarding private caregiver!

Edited by all4mom2
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1

Do they really think we need to be reminded of what happened just before the commercial break? Previously-ons are useful for weekly shows, or after a longer break in a series, but I think the audience should be trusted to remember what happened <5 minutes ago. 

Edit: we just got a 'recap' of the question Dorothy asked Peggy, from Dorothy not 10 seconds after she asked the question. If we need more evidence that they don't actually have 2 hours worth of interesting footage...

What is with the badges? Is she six?

Edited by ams1001
  • LOL 2
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

Peggy, Whidbey Island, Washington.     What a lovely place Whidbey Island is.  

My son is stationed there and just happens to be home on leave. He recognized the area where Peggy's house is. 

• Love 2

I think the word for the evening is Condescending. And to honor that word, I'll award really tacky paper badges for condescending actions to Robin and Dorothy. 

Whoever edited this episode has my deepest condolences.

I don't know what they hoped to show or what they had to work with, but they sort of got an arc out of it although (to me) most of it didn't make sense time line wise or content wise.   

• Love 11

OMG; so boring.  "Hoarders" I remember, where are you?  They ruined this just like they did "Toddlers and Tiaras."  I watched the intro (the only interesting part), then tuned back in to see the Big Reveal at the end, and they were STILL all sitting around in a circle led by Zazio psychobabbling.  Ugh!

Edited by all4mom2
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, all4mom2 said:

OMG; so boring.  "Hoarders" I remember, where are you?  They ruined this just like they did "Toddlers and Tiaras."  I watched the intro (the only interesting part), then tuned back in to see the Big Reveal at the end, and they were STILL all sitting around in a circle led by Zazio psychobabbling.  Ugh!

They do seem to be big on the "Family Meeting" this season, don't they?

• Love 4
25 minutes ago, all4mom2 said:

Anything to drag things out to fill two hours.  I think they're even speaking more slowly this season!

In total agreement, but let's read that last line out loud.

I-------------------- think---------------- they'------------re------------------ e----ven ---------------speak-----ing---------------- more -----s---l---o---w----l-----y      this------ sea----son----------!

Edited by enoughcats
  • LOL 4
  • Love 1
37 minutes ago, all4mom2 said:

Anything to drag things out to fill two hours.  I think they're even speaking more slowly this season!

Maybe it's time to just toss the whole production into the dumpster and call it a day.

• Love 3
22 hours ago, ams1001 said:

What is with the badges? Is she six?

I wondered how the badges weren't ridiculous for a grown woman, and why they were treating her like a 6 year old too. 

With the editing, grandson Kristian was spelled Krisitan (or something like that) several times too.   Either this episode was really rushed, or they simply don't care about producing a quality show any more.   

As irritated as I get with Zasio's 'counseling' for hoarder and family, just to keep the filming going, Dorothy's badge awards and other strange ideas, plus trying to act like she's a trained counselor is strange.  

I'm really wondering if the house will stay clean, or if all of the boxes in the house, and garage will come back in the house again.     I found it chilling that she works at the Food Pantry as a volunteer, and thinks expiration dates on food are a joke.    

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 3

Krisitan?  Krisitan?  Did anyone ask the poor mother when she was filling out the birth certificate to double-triple-check the spelling?

That's pretty much all I got out of this ep except that she was left with a very nice home.

• Love 1
41 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I found it chilling that she works at the Food Pantry as a volunteer, and thinks expiration dates on food are a joke. 

I was going to comment on that, too. (Then I got distracted and forgot.) When she said that I said "and the food pantry wouldn't take your rice that expired in 2018." Sure, most things are just fine for quite a while after the date on the package; at worst they'll be stale and not taste as good. But three years is...pushing it (canned stuff is probably fine, as long as the can is intact...white rice, stored properly*, lasts forever**...brown rice still contains oils that will go rancid).

*which I doubt it was
**okay, maybe not forever, but a long time

Edited by ams1001
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Sure, most things are just fine for quite a while after the date on the package; at worst they'll be stale and not taste as good. But three years is...pushing it (canned stuff is probably fine, as long as the can is intact...white rice, stored properly*, lasts forever**

Thank you!  The hatred of all things expired bothers me...  It's usually a "best by" or "sell by" date -- not an expiration date -- and things are fine for months after the expiration date.  I shop at a salvage grocery store and save a lot of money...

And I haven't died yet!

So wasteful to throw away perfectly good food one day after the stamped date.

(But I'm not a hoarder.)

• Love 5

Things like cereal, cake mix, or flour will have weevils hatch out too when they get old.    Expired canned goods can kill you.   I hope that Peggy doesn't screen donations for the food pantry.   

I think the drop in quality of the show is shown by Kristian, Krisitan name displayed alternative ways.   How hard is it to get his name right, and put it on the screen consistently?   

Why do I suspect that the 300 boxes in the garage, and other storage, and way too much stuff in the house has multiplied?   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 2

I agree that most things are just fine a short while after the exp date but I learned a few weeks ago that my baking powder, just three days past due, was powerless.  My biscuits were like crackers.  They weren't puffy and yet they were bad, Jill!

image.png.56da0cd0c84ccd7fec94c39cb97f8bb0.png

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
22 hours ago, all4mom2 said:

Did Matt Paxton really quit after the mansion episode?  I remember he threatened to.

Hmm, this January 2021 article about his PBS series "Legacy List" writes this:

After seven years on “Hoarders,” Paxton quit in 2017 and started his own production company hoping to sell more positive concepts, but didn’t close a deal until PBS signed on to “Legacy List.” And with three kids to raise, he said he needed the cash so he returned to do some spot “Hoarders” episodes, including a few this coming season.

That explains why we saw him show up more recently on a "freelance" basis.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
23 hours ago, all4mom2 said:

"Compulsive Holarding"?  You'd think with two hours in one location, they'd have time to get the intro right.  

Not that I didn't believe you, but I had to go watch the intro again and see if it really said that. 🙄 I wonder if it's been like that on every episode this season...(I'm not going to look). 

(lol...I just looked at their facebook page and the first comment on this episode is "This was a good episode. But did anyone else notice the typo in the introduction?")

Edited by ams1001
8 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

Not that I didn't believe you, but I had to go watch the intro again and see if it really said that. 🙄 I wonder if it's been like that on every episode this season...(I'm not going to look). 

It was okay for me! I too was curious if they were that sloppy or rushed. But I made this screengrab from last night's episode - if that's the place where the error might've been.

introcard-Nov29-Episode.jpg