Type keyword(s) to search

Windy City Rehab - General Discussion

• Start Topic

(edited)
On 6/1/2023 at 6:32 PM, BradC said:

Episode 2 of the newest season managed to be even less flattering for the legend (in her own mind) of Alison Victoria.  Once again, it's find some antique pieces that don't at all fit together, combine them and, of course, PAINT THEM BLACK.  I did feel very sorry for Levi, who somehow found the worst concrete contractor ever, and suffered through both that and Alison doing her standard practice of taking the original architectural drawings and proclaiming them null and void.  We never did find out how much over budget the rehab went for poor Levi, and I realize that wasn't entirely Alison's fault (and notably NOT her problem), but it certainly put a damper on the entire project.  Sure, it turned out nice (considering AV's involvement), but anything can look nice if you don't mind going over budget and months late.  

Finally, the line about "you wouldn't question your doctor or lawyer, so why would you question your designer" (I'm paraphrasing) hit a new low, even for Alison.

This is a very easy show to hate watch.

You would think that Levi, who is acting as his own general contractor, would inspect the site pretty regularly to look for any irregularities before progressing with any major work.  Have to wonder if these background stories are fabricated for the show.  At the very minimum, the building inspectors for Oak Park should have noticed this before giving the okay to pour cement.

Edited by cameron
  • Like 1

What is with Allison V. and the way she pronounces "hello" when she walks up to a client.  No need for the "valley" enunciation.  Thought the owners in episode 3 were just as annoying as Allison.

• Like 1
On 6/7/2023 at 8:30 AM, cameron said:

What is with Allison V. and the way she pronounces "hello" when she walks up to a client.  No need for the "valley" enunciation.  Thought the owners in episode 3 were just as annoying as Allison.

nay... nobody can be as annoying as Allison.  and i am sick to death of her commercials with the "Stronger" song them......ugh

• Like 6

I am so tired of hearing " We want a modern farmhouse."  I thought when the Gaines were no longer doing Fixer Upper we were leaving this boring design behind. But I keep hearing it.  A couple on Houses with History wanted a modern farmhouse. 

• Like 2
14 hours ago, 65mickey said:

I am so tired of hearing " We want a modern farmhouse."  I thought when the Gaines were no longer doing Fixer Upper we were leaving this boring design behind. But I keep hearing it.  A couple on Houses with History wanted a modern farmhouse. 

I feel the same way about kitschy coastal look (i.e. fish decor on all the walls, anchors, ship's wheel, etc) included the must have paint color blue and/or some shade of aqua or turquoise. Apparently this type of decor is popular among those living at the shore or anywhere near a coast. I hate it and think it's overdone.

What I'm trying to say is that "popular" is popular. Modern farmhouse is currently popular, whether it's featured by the Gaines or otherwise. I happen to like this look, even though many feel designers should move on.

(edited)
5 hours ago, Soapy Goddess said:

I feel the same way about kitschy coastal look (i.e. fish decor on all the walls, anchors, ship's wheel, etc) included the must have paint color blue and/or some shade of aqua or turquoise. Apparently this type of decor is popular among those living at the shore or anywhere near a coast. I hate it and think it's overdone.

Then don't ever come to my house. My stepdaughter tells me when you live on the water, you get to kitsch it up to your heart's content. We're sailors, so there is a lot of sailboat themed accessories. We don't do wall colors though. When we had the common areas painted, we went with tones of ecru. I've changed almost all the switch plates to ones with coastal themes. I did put wine themed switch plates in the dining room where our wine rack is.

Edited by chessiegal
  • Like 1

Vegas house.  She spent 10,000 euros to fly in an antique fireplace mantle from France to stick candles in it?  I actually did like the end result of the house in general, especially the hard/land scape improvements.  Except the bar (painted black of course). It seemed clunky and heavy in the space.

• Like 6

How many "homes" does Alison have? There's her apartment in Chicago, this house, and didn't she and her brother keep that condo in Atlanta, her latest toy, last season? I know I've seen that couch in the LV house before.

• Like 2

Like when AV said she is growing out her eyebrows in the Vegas episode.   They already look like caterpillars on her; wonder what the newly grown out ones will look like. 

• LOL 5
(edited)
42 minutes ago, KeithJ said:

Allison needs to stop wearing those jeans.

And the tank tops, and the spider lashes, and...

It's a television show ffs, not a trip to the gym. Stop auditioning, you've got the job (inexplicably).

Edited by SuprSuprElevated
  • Like 5

Hope all that drama from the Lakeview episode was producer driven or that homeowner is basically clueless.  Who goes into a renovation project without any understanding of building code, costs, time delays, etc.

• Like 2

Ok, I watched most of yesterday's episode. The crappy air outside made me do it.

1. Alison is a hot mess. Still.

2. WTAF? There's an architect working in the city of Chicago that's unfamiliar with city codes? The egress was a, what, surprise? Were the homeowners winging it? Without permits, why did they move out of the house in the first place--it's not like work was going to begin? I stopped feeling sorry for them and the enormous waste of money pretty quickly. Winners? Her parents, who got to see their grandson grow up.

3. No surprise Alison is clueless about permits. Or working with the city. Still. I'm going shopping! Because some props will make this project. And make my clients forget this year of gratuitous torture because os all the statement pieces I put in their house.

4. Those stairs were fugly.

5. I enjoyed about 25% of the episode, which seemed to be the total of time spent on beauty shots of Chicago. 

6. Why was there a full/queen-sized bed in the kid's room? It took a long time, but he's not in high school yet. Hot mess, I'm telling you.

• Like 2
  • LOL 1
13 minutes ago, buttersister said:

Ok, I watched most of yesterday's episode. The crappy air outside made me do it.

1. Alison is a hot mess. Still.

2. WTAF? There's an architect working in the city of Chicago that's unfamiliar with city codes? The egress was a, what, surprise? Were the homeowners winging it? Without permits, why did they move out of the house in the first place--it's not like work was going to begin? I stopped feeling sorry for them and the enormous waste of money pretty quickly. Winners? Her parents, who got to see their grandson grow up.

3. No surprise Alison is clueless about permits. Or working with the city. Still. I'm going shopping! Because some props will make this project. And make my clients forget this year of gratuitous torture because os all the statement pieces I put in their house.

4. Those stairs were fugly.

5. I enjoyed about 25% of the episode, which seemed to be the total of time spent on beauty shots of Chicago. 

6. Why was there a full/queen-sized bed in the kid's room? It took a long time, but he's not in high school yet. Hot mess, I'm telling you.

My thoughts exactly concerning that kid and the full size bed.  Looked like he just had started walking and now has a grownup looking room with a bed that doesn't have any rails to keep him from falling out of bed.

• Like 2
On 6/28/2023 at 8:58 AM, buttersister said:

It seemed to be a staged room and not the homeowners' furniture there. I wonder how much of these houses are just staged for the show and not for the homeowners' use afterwards?

• Like 2
10 hours ago, Andyourlittledog2 said:

It seemed to be a staged room and not the homeowners' furniture there. I wonder how much of these houses are just staged for the show and not for the homeowners' use afterwards?

If not 100%, then damn close. I know that all of the Joanna Gaines refurbs are done with 3rd party furnishings, and are "available for purchase if the homeowner so desires."

Most of the homes in these shows would be far less fabulous were the furnishings not so high-end expensive. 

• Like 3
13 hours ago, Andyourlittledog2 said:

It seemed to be a staged room and not the homeowners' furniture there

Right. But staged for the family she was working with. So not good for their kid. Which, surprise, it's Alison.

• Like 2
(edited)

Spending $1.4m on a house but then only budgeting $250k for renovations seems a bit low.  Did he say they spent $40k in kitchen appliances? I did agree with removing those columns.  That just looked like bad original design. The fake fireplace with the pile of candles in front of it just seems like a waste of space.

Also, how did I know they were going to put those slider doors in?  I still don’t get the whole indoor / outdoor living.  Does Las Vegas have no bugs?

Edited by KeithJ
  • Like 2
37 minutes ago, KeithJ said:

Spending $1.4m on a house but then only budgeting $250k for renovations seems a bit low.  Did he say they spent $40k in kitchen appliances? I did agree with removing those columns.  That just looked like bad original design. The fake fireplace with the pile of candles in front of it just seems like a waste of space.

Also, how did I know they were going to put those slider doors in?  I still don’t get the whole indoor / outdoor living.  Does Las Vegas have no bugs?

This latest design of AV's on this home is just as bad as the original one she did on it.

• LOL 2

I actually liked the last house done…the guy converting 2 units to one… and I can appreciate she is owing some of her design choices— like pointing out she is going to paint it black as that is what she does… 

• Like 2

I needed one comic relief today and an Alison marathon sure provided it. The Alison Redemption Project—😂😂😂🤣🤣🤣🤨😠😠🥶

Her obnoxious BFF? Yikes. The husband was just fine going over budget by $150K, now that he’s seen the fabulousness of Alison’s work?! LOL Bullshit on that budget. Let’s go shopping in Paris! Charge expenses to the job! 

The year-long project reveal was the Alison self-congratulatory palooza. Ha, tile game is on-point. What adult not on TV talks like that? Even two or three years ago. Noticed his partner wasn’t included on the tour. Oh, honey. At least there wasn’t a magical proposal.

The finale montage (hopefully series, not season). LOL, look at my hugging all these grateful folks who are like family to me! I love them and I’m never getting out of their lives! Look at me improving their worlds with range hoods. I’m a nice person! I let others do the parts I consistently fucked up and blamed on my partner. 

Addendum ep: Oy, we had a chance for Alison to leave town? 😒 Ok, she has no idea how she’ll pay for this office to home and office transformation? What? Why is she laughing? She’s using every idea every designer on RTB ever had. No disco?

Poor Ari needs a break, so that shoulder surgery will be in India. I know, it’s a thing. But Alison sure hopes he’ll recover smoothly. No, she hopes he’ll come back to finish her job.

oMG, it’s a freakin’ series of its own. Barbie’s er, Alison’s dream house. Call me for the reveal, no way I’m suffering  through his.

• Like 1
  • LOL 4

Caught the end. So, no-money Alison borrowed $400,000 from friends* instead of getting a loan. 

Or, you know, cutting back some (extra-extravagant) choices.

She sold the high-rise place. Didn’t she say she was staying with a friend? Or didn’t her BFF keep a place in Chicago? $5 says uh-huh.

*Gotta be that rich, long-suffering husband of her BFF.

• Like 1

I’m super confused. The most recent episode I watched was her buying and planning to remodel her dream home in Vegas. Now she’s stating she’s homeless? Homeless with a $1M condo she wants to sell and a Vegas home she just bought, wha? So far I’ve only seen the first episode of the wharehouse/business dream home build and I don’t get it. 

On 7/26/2023 at 12:08 AM, buttersister said:

I needed one comic relief today and an Alison marathon sure provided it. The Alison Redemption Project—😂😂😂🤣🤣🤣🤨😠😠🥶

Her obnoxious BFF? Yikes. The husband was just fine going over budget by $150K, now that he’s seen the fabulousness of Alison’s work?! LOL Bullshit on that budget. Let’s go shopping in Paris! Charge expenses to the job! 

The year-long project reveal was the Alison self-congratulatory palooza. Ha, tile game is on-point. What adult not on TV talks like that? Even two or three years ago. Noticed his partner wasn’t included on the tour. Oh, honey. At least there wasn’t a magical proposal.

The finale montage (hopefully series, not season). LOL, look at my hugging all these grateful folks who are like family to me! I love them and I’m never getting out of their lives! Look at me improving their worlds with range hoods. I’m a nice person! I let others do the parts I consistently fucked up and blamed on my partner. 

Addendum ep: Oy, we had a chance for Alison to leave town? 😒 Ok, she has no idea how she’ll pay for this office to home and office transformation? What? Why is she laughing? She’s using every idea every designer on RTB ever had. No disco?

Poor Ari needs a break, so that shoulder surgery will be in India. I know, it’s a thing. But Alison sure hopes he’ll recover smoothly. No, she hopes he’ll come back to finish her job.

oMG, it’s a freakin’ series of its own. Barbie’s er, Alison’s dream house. Call me for the reveal, no way I’m suffering  through his.

That one was sort of pathetic. You could tell her bff was just trying to keep up with her and only like what she likes. The more expensive the better, because that’s what Allison would dig, not that she seemed to actually personally care. So sad that people can’t own their own opinions. Call this episode, Keeping up with Allison. 

• Like 6

I'm really getting tired of the "I have no money", "I don't have money for this", "I don't have money for that" and that she's borrowing money for this dream house.

Where exactly has all of her money gone?  She has a successful business (supposedly) and TV show(s), she sold her Chicago house, and she bought and renovated a house in Vegas.  I think she needs someone to help her with her finances.

Also, the house in Atlanta.  The agent pretty much says that comps in the area aren't close to $1m but Alison doesn't seem to want to budge from her $1m price.

Edited by KeithJ
  • Like 4
  • Love 1
47 minutes ago, KeithJ said:

The agent pretty much says that comps in the area aren't close to $1m but Alison doesn't seem to want to budge from her $1m price.

LOL! Because $1m is shorthand for look how fabulously successful I am.

Or pretending to be.

• Like 3
  • LOL 1
On 8/4/2023 at 10:07 AM, KeithJ said:

I'm really getting tired of the "I have no money", "I don't have money for this", "I don't have money for that" and that she's borrowing money for this dream house.

Where exactly has all of her money gone?  She has a successful business (supposedly) and TV show(s), she sold her Chicago house, and she bought and renovated a house in Vegas.  I think she needs someone to help her with her finances.

Also, the house in Atlanta.  The agent pretty much says that comps in the area aren't close to $1m but Alison doesn't seem to want to budge from her $1m price.

Remember the three flat apartment?  The one she claimed would sell for $1.5 million or about that?   Not all three apartments rented, and at a much lower rent than she claimed it would rent for, and sold to her boyfriend for under $900k.   The high rise with the super high HOA fee?  Didn't even break even, actually with the carrying costs and high HOA/condo fees, sold at a loss.   I bet most of her sales aren't profitable.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 3
  • Applause 1

I was watching something on HGTV the other day when I turned the TV off.  Today when I turned it on, this show was on and I was too lazy to find the remote again.

Is this the most irritating woman on tv?  Holy bananas...

• Like 1
  • LOL 4

"It's like Versailles."

"Yes! I was hoping someone would say that!"

It is difficult to watch someone mentally unravel on national television.

What the hell is that 'dream house'?  A warehouse in a commercial district has now been turned into a private 'forever' home for Allison.  She is one small woman in a giant space with gigantic furniture and appliances and built ins, etc. The size of her shelving is ridiculous.  She'd need a ten foot ladder (minimum) to reach the top of anything. The hood is the size of a small car. The stove top is what, ten burners? over two ovens side by side.  She doesn't even cook. How will she heat and cool that place without taking out a mortgage for that alone?  It's fine while the friends and film crew are there but she's living there alone. Can you imagine wandering around that place by yourself, contemplating your choices in life?  She can get in all her steps for the day just walking to the kitchen to pour herself some cereal.

And the friend/realtor who said it was worth three million!  Sure, jack.  There are not comps for this warehouse/home because no one else is stupid enough to put that much money into such a project. And knowing Allison she'll find the entire thing so last year before too long and need to redo it.

So yes, it is like Versailles. A huge over-decorated, over-built, excessive expensive home for terrible people to live in while the lesser folks starve to death.  It's perfect for her.

My biggest problem with it was that in case of a fire much of it is a death trap if you are cut off. Almost all light comes from the very high up skylights. There is no egress in most of the rooms. It would make me very nervous.

She spends so much money on these things. No wonder she is working on all these shows for HGTV. 

• Like 7
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 1
11 hours ago, Andyourlittledog2 said:

How will she heat and cool that place without taking out a mortgage for that alone?  It's fine while the friends and film crew are there but she's living there alone. Can you imagine wandering around that place by yourself, contemplating your choices in life?  She can get in all her steps for the day just walking to the kitchen to pour herself some cereal.

And the friend/realtor who said it was worth three million!  Sure, jack.  There are not comps for this warehouse/home because no one else is stupid enough to put that much money into such a project. And knowing Allison she'll find the entire thing so last year before too long and need to redo it.

So yes, it is like Versailles. A huge over-decorated, over-built, excessive expensive home for terrible people to live in while the lesser folks starve to death.  It's perfect for her.

My biggest problem with it was that in case of a fire much of it is a death trap if you are cut off. Almost all light comes from the very high up skylights. There is no egress in most of the rooms. It would make me very nervous.

Agree with your assessment, but since this is supposed to be her home AND business location, she'll be able to deduct expenses on maintaining her office and showroom. This is how she justifies her initial costs.

Of course, she doesn't need that gigantic kitchen, but since that's her thing, it's her forever masterpiece. It's her ego in a design.

And maybe after a few years, when she gets bored, she'll wind up selling the property because she'll need another show & project. IOW,  for her it's simply a dream investment. 

• Like 2
18 hours ago, Andyourlittledog2 said:

So yes, it is like Versailles. A huge over-decorated, over-built, excessive expensive home

I don't understand the kvetching about $15k to fix the HVAC to make it inhabitable for humans per code but then spending thousands flying in antique fireplaces from France.  I probably would have invested the $60k to make sure the skylights opened. 

https://www.realtor.com/advice/reality-tv/exclusive-a-sneak-peek-inside-alison-victorias-windy-city-rehab-alisons-dream-home-renovation-and-why-its-not-her-forever-home/

According to the article above, she was not able to secure a loan from the bank and has not paid her friends back.  I don't get that part, pouring so much money into something without having financing figured out. 

I'm in the minority as I mostly like her style and staging - save for the black exteriors and giant hoods - put I don't get this house.

• Like 5
  • Useful 3

Perhaps the dumbest thing I read in that^ article:

Interviewer: "What’s your recommendation for renovators who don’t have all their finances figured out?"

Now I ask you, in what alternate universe does this interviewer reside (or anyone else for that matter), that would have him/her think AV would have that answer?!?

• Like 1
  • Applause 2
  • LOL 4
5 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

Now I ask you, in what alternate universe does this interviewer reside (or anyone else for that matter), that would have him/her think AV would have that answer?!?

Maybe in the HGTV Universe that keeps paying her to produce these monstrosities?

• Like 3

I knew she'd get bored sooner or later. From the article posted upthread by Danielle: 

Is this your forever home?

This is not my forever home. I don’t know if I’ll ever have one of those. I don’t sit still long enough, and I think if I ever did, I’d get really bored with life. This is my dream home right now, because I don’t know what tomorrow is.

• Like 3

How did her "house" pass inspection?  Her main bedroom has no windows.  Bedrooms must have an egress window for evacuation in case of fire.

No matter how nice that place is, I just don't think I could live there.  Although you are getting light from above, there isn't a single window to look out of.  Every room just feels like a box.

Edited by KeithJ
  • Like 5
  • Love 3

I'd just love to be the friend who loaned Alison hundreds of thousands of dollars for her dream home, only to find out it's already not her forever dream home. 

Or that I'm never seeing that loan paid back. $5 says it's that BFF she flew to Paris with for shopping. The one with the rich husband. Who thinks flying to and buying in Paris is totally required. As is going 100K+ over budget (I recall her episode).

Hey, HGTV, why you using this conwoman so much?

• Like 4
  • Applause 1

I have a feeling that all of Alison's projects are her "dream home". IOW, she sees every big project as a blank canvas...something she can put her personality into. And as time goes on and her taste evolves, her dream also grows. Not necessarily in size, but in what she can put into the home that screams her name. In a word, EGO. 

• Like 4

Just finished episode 2 of Alison's dream home.  Who in their right mind wears at halter top outfit in March in Chicago.   Don't think the winter coat that she wore over it will still be warm enough.  Lived there for over 15 years and it's still really cold there in March.

• Like 3