Type keyword(s) to search

Elite - General Discussion

starri
  • Start Topic

Got up to episode two of the second season. Still love the over-the topness of the set design, behaviour and the beautiful obviously not 17-year old actors. I don‘t think I like where they are going with the story but its probably realistic. I like the new additions so far, because why not go full soap opera? The most intriguing storyline for me is still the Muslim Family since it‘s the only realistic one? But wow, that scene in episode 2 between Ander, Polo and Guzman.... Why?

14 hours ago, hertolo said:

Got up to episode two of the second season. Still love the over-the topness of the set design, behaviour and the beautiful obviously not 17-year old actors. I don‘t think I like where they are going with the story but its probably realistic. I like the new additions so far, because why not go full soap opera? The most intriguing storyline for me is still the Muslim Family since it‘s the only realistic one? But wow, that scene in episode 2 between Ander, Polo and Guzman.... Why?

Totally agree!

I watched the entire second season this weekend and I have to say, I love this ridiculous show. I didn't think I needed Samuel and Carla to hook up, but was kinda happy they did. And of course the new girl helped Polo.

• Love 2

Netflix; the new Skinemax. That Ander/Polo/Guzman scene was gross, but so believable for Polo. He's creepy even when he isn't perving on someone with no preamble.

Just in case this wasn't soapy enough, we now have incest and false identity shenanigans. Cayetana probably could have gotten away with her scheme to blend in if she'd just been low-key and not tried so hard to convince everyone she was rich. The constant babbling about brands and vacations and shopping, plus the thefts from employers and problems she caused for her mom, pretty much guaranteed the whole thing would blow up. Also, she failed by going on so much about Ralph Lauren and wearing giant polo pony branding when all the other kids were in Lacoste. I assume Lacoste was a sponsor; it was EVERYWHERE.

For someone so smart, Nadia is so daft. Guzman is basically her dad. Controlling, self-righteous jerk with anger management issues and a rigid attachment to whatever idea hit his brain first. What are the chances season 3 will feature Nadia fretting and plotting a life on the lam after Guzman murders Polo?

Speaking of which, what the hell was that ending? Did I miss something? "Hmm, well, we can't find the murder weapon, so even though we have testimony from multiple witnesses of your guilt, plus some suspicious photos, shrug; go back to school I guess." Whereas why would the court need any evidence if you're poor?

• Love 2

I love this stupid, stupid show. It is just such a wonderful mix of cliches and ridiculousness.

I really wish they hadn't gone there with the incest. I mean, I'll accept all the teenaged sex and murder and whatnot, but that's too far lol. But I just skipped their scenes so it didn't really hurt my enjoyment. I like Lu and Valerio individually at least.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, peachmangosteen said:

I really wish they hadn't gone there with the incest. I mean, I'll accept all the teenaged sex and murder and whatnot, but that's too far lol. But I just skipped their scenes.

But they're rich, so it was classy incest! Yeah, I can almost buy teens with teen impulse controls issues having sex in the school locker room where anyone could walk in, but incest? GROSS. And BTW, Valerio, half siblings doesn't make it better. Half of infinitely gross is still infinitely gross. But what a peppy Christmas dinner!

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
6 minutes ago, Enginerd said:

But they're rich, so it was classy incest! Yeah, I can almost buy teens with teen impulse controls issues having sex in the school locker room where anyone could walk in, but incest? GROSS. 

LOL but yes.

I wish they had made them step siblings that grew up together. Then it'd still be gross but not super gross.

• Love 3

I just can't get over how bad Cayetana is at scheming. Why on earth would she tell a bunch of wild high school kids that she lives alone in a big fancy house and give them an address?!?! That just screams "Come over any time and do your partying here! Drop by at any hour!" It's amazing none of them went over to visit without warning and alarmed the real homeowner at any point. She should have just been like "my parents are really private and strict and they're always home. I can't have people over."

I think I actually liked the second season better than the first.  This show may be ridiculous, but it grabs you and keeps you on the edge of your seat.  And this is coming from someone not normally into teen dramas.  The surprises never stop coming.  The ultimate in bingeable TV.  

I do think all three of the new characters added something positive.  But they never explain why Valerio has such a strong Chilean accent (beyond the obvious fact that the actor is Chilean).  I guess one can suppose that his mother is Chilean and that he grew up mostly in Chile rather than with Lu and their father.  But Lu seems so Mexican that it was a bit jarring that they are supposed to be half-siblings.  Perhaps that's why the incest didn't gross me out as much as it could have.  Still, I could have done without that subplot.

One the surprises I mentioned was the incredible chemistry between Carla and Samuel.  I would never have thought of those two as a possible couple, but it really worked.  Then again, you'd have to be dead not to have chemistry with Ester Exposito.  If Mina El Hammani was the find of Season 1, Exposito gave us the standout performance of this second season.  I know she's only just turned 19, but there is just something about her that reminds me of those classic mid-20th Century movie stars.

I didn't find the ending all that unbelievable.  Without any physical evidence, it comes down to a "he said, she said" type situation, where the guy has wealthy well-connected parents and the girl is his possibly bitter ex (not the case in this instance, but that's how a defense lawyer would paint it).

• Love 2

There's also the shirt change proven by instagram... In the end, this resolution just makes for a better set up for season 3 I guess. If they wanted, it could have been enough. But it's not so blatant a misdirection it's totally unbelievable. Polo being hard and clear of mind again, after being willing to admit everything just before... Well okay. Again, I'm very much looking forward to the next season.

I watch this (and casa del papel and that cuervos show on netflix) to train my Spanish, so thanks for explaining that accent of Valerio to me. I very much appreciated his presence btw... Hrmpf. 😉 Otherwise, yeah, ridiculous show, but entertaining. 

I'm kind of glad they're continuing the same main drama instead of killing off more and more people to add plot. One murder is plenty. This doesn't need to turn into Riverdale. Although I was rather hoping Nadia's father would die of a heart attack. He's a nuisance, and I'd like to see what her mother is like and how their whole family dynamic would change without his oppressive presence.

I was also hoping we'd meet Nadia's "wayward" sister. Maybe in season 3?

• Love 4

There's a lot of potential set up for the next season. Polo back at school, and it's no longer a secret that he killed Marina, even if the legal system/his moms' influence and money meant he didn't go to prison. And what's their family life like, with his mothers now knowing that their son killed Marina?

Cristian should return one of these days, also, if Carla's dad doesn't have him expensively murdered at the posh Swiss clinic. But maybe he's spending his time at the clinic making fancy connections and he'll come back a star. 

On 9/17/2019 at 2:41 PM, Enginerd said:

I'm kind of glad they're continuing the same main drama instead of killing off more and more people to add plot. One murder is plenty. This doesn't need to turn into Riverdale. Although I was rather hoping Nadia's father would die of a heart attack. He's a nuisance, and I'd like to see what her mother is like and how their whole family dynamic would change without his oppressive presence.

I just finished last night and this season was fucking fantastic. I loved the new additions and the music was also very good. It definitely kept me at the edge of my seat and I was so relieved when I saw that Samuel was alive. 

Agree it would be  nice to see Nadia's family's dynamic without the oppressive father. Look how Omar came out of his shell! And I definitely would like to see the sister.

Cannot wait until season 3 of this crazy show.

• Love 1

This show is so ridiculous, I freaking love it. Its so over the top with its soapy melodrama, its a great binge watch, and a ton of fun. I actually liked the second season more than the first, I think we got more character development, and I love how they somehow managed to go even MORE nuts (incest! Secret identities!) while still not going totally off the rails. I mean, we still haven't gotten to bear attacks, teen prison fight clubs, or DnD cults, so we are somehow still more down to earth than Riverdale!

I am glad that Samuel is alright, and that he and Guzman are finally cool with each other, Guzmans super hate on for Samuel had gotten way old. I did mostly feel bad for the guy though, his life has totally gone to shit in just a couple of months. His sister gets HIV and then gets murdered, loses his money, dad goes to jail (for awhile) super angsty romance, and now he finds out that one of his best friends killed his sister, and his other best friend helped him cover it up. 

So when will Nadia's wayward sister show up? And who will she sleep with? I put money on Lu or Valerio, or both. The big hook up surprise for me this season was Carla and Samuel, they had ridiculous chemistry, and their relationship was ridiculously twisted and bizarre. 

I guess I can see Polo getting out of jail, but man that is gonna be an awkward day in class...

• Love 2

Yeah, they filmed S2-3 back-to-back. They finished production a few weeks after S2 dropped.  

With only Cayetana on Polo's side, I kind of think that part of the story won't be as compelling, since I doubt Carmen or Guzman will forgive and forget.  I find myself a lot more interested in Guzman and Samu being bros, as well as seeing if Carmen is going to continue to be less of a Cylon.  And if Nadia and Omar's family will continue to seemingly be more accepting of them.

• Love 1
On 1/30/2020 at 10:27 AM, starri said:

With only Cayetana on Polo's side, I kind of think that part of the story won't be as compelling, since I doubt Carmen or Guzman will forgive and forget.  I find myself a lot more interested in Guzman and Samu being bros, as well as seeing if Carmen is going to continue to be less of a Cylon.  And if Nadia and Omar's family will continue to seemingly be more accepting of them.

I literally can not remember who Carmen is lol.

On 1/29/2020 at 9:55 PM, starri said:

I can't find an English-language version, but apparently Netflix has ordered two additional seasons, and S3 will be out in March.

You absolutely want to listen in Spanish, even if you don't speak it, as I don't, and read the English subtitles. That's half the fun!

• Love 1

I'm only two episodes in, but I don't get why Ander tries so hard to shut Omar out.  Especially considering it was Ander who was the one doing the pursuing for so long.

On 3/15/2020 at 2:25 PM, starri said:

I'm only two episodes in, but I don't get why Ander tries so hard to shut Omar out.  Especially considering it was Ander who was the one doing the pursuing for so long.

I really enjoyed the new season, but the treatment of Ander and Omar's relationship was terrible ... especially since they were one of my favorite parts of the show.

The girls really brought it this season - even Nadia, who I did not like previous seasons.  I also really grew to love Lu this season.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Ireland77 said:

The girls really brought it this season - even Nadia, who I did not like previous seasons.  I also really grew to love Lu this season.

I would love to see the adventures of Nadia and Lu in NYC.  

• Love 7
On 3/15/2020 at 2:25 PM, starri said:

Ander seems to be melancholic in general. He has his happy moments, but he tends to turn gloomy and disconnect when things are bad. As much as he likes Omar, I think Omar can also be a little much for him. Omar is very eager to live a festive gay life now that he's out, and also seems to have a much higher sex drive than Ander and is constantly trying to initiate sex, often when Ander seems to want a little space. Omar moved in when they'd only known each other a few months and Ander was still in high school, and right around the time Ander's parents split up. And then Ander got leukemia. It's all just a lot. I can understand why in some ways Ander just wants a breather and to not deal with romantical issues all the time.

I liked the season but was a little disappointed that Guzman and Nadia spent so little time together. Cristian never reappeared, either. Is he still in that Swiss clinic?

• Love 2

I didn't like this season. First of all, what they all did at the end makes them all a bunch of fucking hypocrites, because it's the EXACT same thing Carla did for Polo!

And also, no scenes btw Carla and Polo this season? The show never forgot about any of the other lifelong relationships they set up in Season 1, so that honestly makes me think it was partly about the two actors who play them breaking up in real life (other shows have done that too).

I NEVER bought the "connection" between Samuel and Carla at all, so that wasn't satisfying to pretend that they were this big couple. Cayetana was a HORRIBLE character from the start so it was annoying every time she was onscreen. The Yeray thing was awful.

Yeah. Big "eh" from me this year.

I just finished this last night. I love this ridiculous show. There were definitely a few things I hated, like Yeray. He made no sense to me. He was apparently a millionaire app developer but still in high school?? He lived alone in a giant house? Where are his parents? I also was hoping we would get more Nadia/Guzman scenes. I did enjoy the Nadia/Lu friendship and I loved that Nadia's mom said Lu would always have a family with them.

Call me a sucker but I liked in the end that they protected Lu. She really did seem shocked that she had done it. I also get the feeling Polo egging her on was because he had nothing more to lose. 

I cracked up during the last episode when it showed them all accusing each other and it cuts to Malik saying "I didn't see anything."

I have hair envy when it comes to Lu. Just gorgeous. 

Are there plans for a season 4? I wouldn't mind but I do think this is a good ending if it's the last season. I could see Cayetana cracking and selling them all out. Lu, Nadia and Carla get to escape, the rest get to finish high school, Valerio gets to run wineries and she gets stuck cleaning? Yeah, I don't see her putting up with that much longer.  

• Love 3

There's just no way that jagged, curved, thick champagne bottle should have gone through Polo's ribs and stabbed deeply enough to kill him. Also, a full-height glass wall like that on an upper floor with no back-up railing that's flimsy enough that you could just fall through it so easily would be a building code violation most places in the world.

That aside, I liked this season but not as much as previous seasons. Too much time spent on random new characters I don't care about, and Cayetana's continued existence is irritating.

I did like that Lu and Nadia became friends, and that Carla got fed up with her parents trying to pimp her out like a long-ago princess, or maybe more like the pretty village girl being sold to the trader with the most camels. Who even does that anymore? If it's a good business deal, do the business deal, whether or not anyone in the families are married or sleeping together.

Nadia and Guzman should have spent more time together; it would have been a bright spot in a mostly bleak season.

12 hours ago, Enginerd said:

Also, a full-height glass wall like that on an upper floor with no back-up railing that's flimsy enough that you could just fall through it so easily would be a building code violation most places in the world.

I feel like they showed it cracking slightly a couple of times, showing that it was getting weaker. But I might have made that up since I don't always pay super close attention and they go back and forth in time.

• Love 1

Finally finished.  

I would never have believed that Nadia and Lu going from frenemies to actual besties over the course of the season would end up being my favorite part.  I would love a spinoff about them being roommates in NYC.

As much as Ander annoyed me, the real heartfelt openness when he finally broke and told Omar how much he needed him--and thinking that he'd screwed it up--made their reunion ALMOST worth it.  If they pick up with these guys next season instead of a new cast, I'm glad they got a happy ending.

And despite Azucena seeming to bend to every whim of Polo's moms, I found myself really loving her this season.  Especially when she got stoned with Ander.

• Love 2
On 3/21/2020 at 10:42 AM, peachmangosteen said:

I feel like they showed it cracking slightly a couple of times, showing that it was getting weaker. But I might have made that up since I don't always pay super close attention and they go back and forth in time.

They definitely showed several incidences over the course of several weeks that contributed to an expanding crack in the glass.  

• Love 1

Yeah, this show is ridiculous. But I love it nevertheless. Just go with the flow. They ended all the story arcs this season, tieing a neat little bow on a third act-story. Very classic storyline. But then they add a little „two months later“ that can open everything up for an epilogue season. And even if they add a few more seasons after that, these first three seasons will be the storyline they set up to tell. An exposition opener that leads to the main drama set-off (season 1), a diversion that could have led somewhere and introduces other players (season 2), and the solution to the drama that started it all (season 3). But I of course will watch whatever they do.

Some more comments/answers to questions: Yeray really would have made more sense as a 30-year old (living alone, being rich, Carla not really wanting to be with him since really that‘s nearly another generation, her father wanting to make business with him). Christian is obviously absent because the actor is busy with other stuff. I‘m sad they never got around to introduce Omars and Nadias sister. 

• Love 2

I watched all three seasons in about ten days. Great show, though there were a lot of improprieties. If Guzman, Samuel and Rebeca were EXPELLED, why are they allowed to stay at the school to repeat their last year (and why would there parents want to keep them there)? Wouldn't the school be reluctant to hire a janitor who was just a student at the school two months earlier? How would Omar be able to attend such an exclusive school (maybe Ander's mother pulled some strings to get him in)? 

Unfortunately, the three most attractive and interesting characters (Nadia, Lu and Carla) will be gone for Season 4. All three are stunningly beautiful and the characters were such a big part of the show. They will be missed. Lu was such a rotten human being for the first season and 3/4. It was nice to see her transform at the end of the season and to see her and Nadia become close. I guess the parental disowning finally led her to change. 

Looking forward to Season 4. They are due for some new female characters and it will be interesting to see what happens to all the returners. Unfortunately, with all the crap going on right now, it may be awhile before it returns, if at all.

New season, same ridiculousness! This show is so nuts, I love it, even when it just goes totally off the walls. I just roll with it. This definitely seems like it could be a series finale, especially with most of the main cast graduated, but with some of the gang taking one extra year (and Omar looking fab in that uniform!) I could see them doing another season if they wanted to. Or at least give us a spin-off with Lu and Nadia as roommates in New York having adventures and stuff!

This season was a lot of fun, especially Nadia and Lu going from enemies to frenemies to actual friends, and everyone deciding to go all How to Get Away With Murder by hiding how Polo actually died. I feel like the stabbing wouldn't have killed him, but him falling off the top floor and smashing through the glass sure as hell would. I should have figured it would be the least likely person to kill Polo, like with Mariana. Tons of suspects, and the one person who did do it didn't seem to have a motive until the last minute, and the actual killing was a spur of the moment freak out. By the time Polo finally died, it almost felt like he was cool with it, especially when Guzman forgave him. 

Ander and Omar at times feel like they are just in such different places, even before the cancer, that they wont work, but at other times I can really see how they keep getting pulled together. Better Ander than Malick though, I was really not a fan. I can understand that being gay when your from a Muslim community is really hard, but he cheated on his girlfriend with her own brother! Who also has a boyfriend, who has cancer! Yeah Ander told Omar to sleep with other guys, but he kept telling him to ditch Ander, which is kind of understand, but so harsh.

Not enough Nadia and Guzman, but at least it seems like they are going to actually try being together for real now. 

Cayetana ends up as a janitor at her school, just like her mom? Yeah, I feel like if she gets the opportunity to flip on everyone else if it gets her out of this situation, she will. 

• Love 2
On 4/3/2020 at 12:52 PM, tennisgurl said:

Tons of suspects, and the one person who did do it didn't seem to have a motive until the last minute, and the actual killing was a spur of the moment freak out.

I thought it looked like she didn't even stab him intentionally at all, even in the heat of their argument. Like she sort of lunged toward him but forgot she even had the broken bottle in her hand. She looked shocked when she realized he was stabbed.

• Love 2

I didn't really care for S3 for several reasons, One of my big issues was Omar was trash for cheating with his sister's boyfriend and didn't even apologize to her for it. He basically got a free pass for his actions with actually feeling any remorse.He actually turned it around on Nadia when she called him out for disregarding her feelings in his cheating with Malick. Can't root for that. I thought the tarnished happy ending with Ander was more than Omar deserved. 

I also didn't care for the Nadia and Lu friendship. Nadia apologized to Lu for sleeping with Guzman but Lu never owned up to posting that video of Guzman & Nadia having sex on the internet, in fact lied saying she didn't do it. If she had owned up to it, I would have felt it was more authentic for them to gravitate towards a friendship. I would have still side-eyed it cause Nadia stopped being friends with Valerio cause he was having sex with Lu but she's ok with being friends with Lu despite her having sex with Valerio. That didn't make sense. 

I didn't like may of the storylines in S3 overall but  was mostly wondering why it was just felt so damned rushed yet somewhat boring. S1 and S2 were pretty entertaining, though. I was chatting with one friend about it and he didn't like that Elite brought aboard some diversity with Yeray & Malick yet wrote them as shady as they did. 

On 4/3/2020 at 3:52 PM, tennisgurl said:

Not enough Nadia and Guzman, but at least it seems like they are going to actually try being together for real now. 

I was really disappointed in how the show handled them in S3. It was an odd, unnecessary choice for their story, especially after aall the build up in S1 and S2, but their final scene was at least optimistic. 

On 3/30/2020 at 11:38 PM, BigDfromLA said:

How would Omar be able to attend such an exclusive school (maybe Ander's mother pulled some strings to get him in)? 

I was confused because Omar is older than Nadia - I recall it has been mentioned that Nadia is the baby of the family - so if Nadia just graduated, why would Omar be attending school at all? Shouldn't he have already graduated from [the collapsed] school?

On 3/20/2020 at 9:00 AM, MaggieG said:

Are there plans for a season 4?

I had read there will be 4th and 5th seasons but with a new cast.

On 3/19/2020 at 7:54 PM, ruby24 said:

I NEVER bought the "connection" between Samuel and Carla at all, so that wasn't satisfying to pretend that they were this big couple.

I think they have really good chemistry but I also wasn't sold on them being this epic love story. The potential for it was there but for me, that part never developed in the writing. I would have been interested to see it be developed but alas...

On 5/22/2020 at 6:39 PM, starri said:

Looks like the gang that remains at Las Encinas is going to be sticking around for the new season. 

Which unfortunately includes Cayetana.

Although the tweet won't embed, dang it.

Unfortunately, only the weakest characters. Who is staying? Cayetanna, Samuel, Guzman, Rebecca, Omar and Ander. Gone? Lu, Carla, Valerio, Nadia, Polo.

I just don't understand the writers. They surely must have seen the fan's reaction, they had a lot of time to think due to covid-19 and yet they still fired the better part of the cast. For me season 3 was terrible, Yarrick character annoying. I missed the chemistry of Samuel and Carla. It's unpopular opinion but I even missed the "aftermath" interactions between Valerio and Lu. Yet they made Valerio a bridge in yet another nonsense threesome.

On 3/30/2020 at 11:38 PM, BigDfromLA said:

Unfortunately, the three most attractive and interesting characters (Nadia, Lu and Carla) will be gone for Season 4. All three are stunningly beautiful and the characters were such a big part of the show. They will be missed.

Nooooooooo!!  😭  I just finished this crazy, highly lovable show last night and couldn't wait to finally read this thread.   This is terrible, terrible news.  Along with being three of the most compelling and interesting characters; these three women are among the strongest  actors of the cast, too.  I was so looking forward to Nadia & Lu's friendship story line and Carla & Samuel getting back together.  Like someone else mentioned up thread, those two had mad chemistry together. 

On 5/22/2020 at 12:39 PM, starri said:

Looks like the gang that remains at Las Encinas is going to be sticking around for the new season. 

Which unfortunately includes Cayetana.

So dull as dirt Caye-fucking-tana gets to stay.  Great.  pffft.  The character added absolutely nothing to the show and the actress herself lacked the charisma and star quality that the others had in spades.  I will forget about her by tomorrow but will still be thinking about Lu, Nadia and Carla and the actresses that played them for weeks to come. 

On 3/16/2020 at 6:26 PM, Ireland77 said:

I really enjoyed the new season, but the treatment of Ander and Omar's relationship was terrible ... especially since they were one of my favorite parts of the show.

Yes, I very much agree with this.  The writers were awful to these two guys in Season 3.  What the hell.  Their constant manipulation just left me frustrated and fed up to the point that I was just feeling annoyed every time one of them showed up on my screen.  If the writers were trying to get me to hate two of my favourite characters; job well done then. 

• Love 1
(edited)
On 9/17/2019 at 11:41 AM, Enginerd said:

Just started the second season.

I guess they plan to have some criminal investigation hanging over each season?

For an exclusive, elite private school, which places students in the Ivy League, there sure is a lot of criminal activity.

You wouldn't think the parents would be so hands off, letting their kids do whatever, as long as it doesn't affect their business or their own criminal activity.  If the rep of the school suffers, then their kids wouldn't benefit from going to the school?

BTW, the school building whose exterior they feature so much looks like a corporate campus, not really a school?  It was filmed in Madrid and in some mountains to the north of the city according to the Wiki but I guess they never got license to film in Madrid itself?  The place seems very suburban (though the mountain views from Guzman's house look great).

I would think these elite schools for the 1% are pretty conservative so the acceptance of gay relationships seems surprising.  Ander's parents, whose mother is the school principal, readily accepted his homosexuality and even let him give up a potential pro tennis career.

But they wouldn't tolerate Nadia's hijab, so contrasting renditions of tolerance.

Presumably the show does well in Spain/Europe and Mexico/Latin American markets?  How well are depictions of gay characters accepted in these markets, especially the latter?  Are gay characters common in telenovelas for instance?

BTW, one of the best lines so far is Christian telling Lu something like "I always knew you wanted me Ms. Acapulco, I'll give it to you good as soon as I'm well."

Edited by scrb