Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E01: Honeymoon

• Start Topic

First LOL'd when Holt showed up in Jake and Amy's room during their couples massage and then *laid down on the floor* so that they could see his face.  Bwah!  Amy dressed as Holly Gennero had my husband and me in convulsions.  I also loved Holt's t-shirt that said:

One Tequila

Two Tequila

Three Tequila

Floor

The whole episode was perfection, except for one tiny thing... Samberg's hair did not match up to last season's finale and I kept finding that distracting (and not attractive).

• Love 2

2nd viewing. "It says What's up Beaches. Instead of Bitches. For the humor."

Boyle wearing that Gina mask and wig was hilarious. 

That was actually kind of disturbing. It's bad enough having to look at the real Gina.

But also why isn't Melissa Fumero a consideration for an Emmy as well? 

Every damn one of them is Emmy-worthy. Braugher has been nominated several times, but I think that's mostly because of his star power. It seems like the only shows the Emmy awards honor anymore are cable and streaming shows.

That said, I see that both Samberg and the show won Golden Globes back in 2014. And Braugher won a Critics Choice award the same year and in 2016.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Inquisitionist said:

The whole episode was perfection, except for one tiny thing... Samberg's hair did not match up to last season's finale and I kept finding that distracting (and not attractive).

I agree. I was so distracted by Andy's hair - it just did not look very good to me. 

• Love 1

I had planned to catch up on the whole series before the new season began. 

I did not, but jumped right into this, anyway. 

I think my favorite thing was how Jake kept calling Amy “Holly Gennaro” while she was in the shockingly accurate get up. 

Edit: 20 hours later, I finally noticed a particularly awful typo...

Edited by Last Time Lord
  • Love 2
On 1/11/2019 at 7:09 AM, Trillium said:

DTF: Down to Fiesta was my favorite Holt shirt.

Mine too - I really think I need to find that shirt for my next trip to Mexico!

I also like Jake trying to keep vacation mode going by drinking his coffee out of the coconut at the end. When I came home from Hawaii last summer I continued to slather myself with Hawaiian Tropic lotion so I could still smell like I was on vacation!

• Love 4
53 minutes ago, Ilovepie said:

I really think I need to find that shirt for my next trip to Mexico!

Hell with Mexico, I'm totally getting Down to Fiesta for the next coming Cinco de Mayo!

• Love 3

To think, Fox decided they didn't want this show any more. Morons.

The cold open neatly tied up last season's cliffhanger, and it does feel true to life that they'd rather have an interchangeable John Kelly as commissioner, than a gay, black man. But Holt's breakdown and stoic melodrama were great fun.

"This B needs a C in her A." Well. Yet again Brooklyn Nine-Nine comes up with a way of delivering a joke that you're genuinely surprised got past the network. But I was actually a little disappointed that they had Jake say the words, with bleeps. It was funnier without being explained. So Amy is to dressing up as Holly Gennaro for Jake, and he's dressing up as Melvil Dewey for Amy. The glimpses we get into their sex life are genuinely intriguing.

Amy losing her temper with Holt was great, and that it led Holt to realise he can do something other than just accept the NYPD's decision made sense. Just like Amy has had enough of Holt's nonsense after he calls Jake selfish, Holt can challenge the NYPD on their regressive attitudes. Like he's always done, even when he was trying not to make waves.

I'm a bit miffed we didn't get to see Amy wearing coconuts. Just saying.

The B and C plots were very minor, other than this:

"Fun fact, the average American marriage lasts fewer than two days."

"That's not true."

"Doesn't have to be, it's commentary."

It certainly is, Gina.

But it made sense to see Terry struggling a little with command. We've seen before that he can be too desperate for everyone to like him, and making tough decisions is one sure way of ensuring some people don't. But learning that Holt completely trusts him will go some way to building his capability to command a precinct, one day.

But I did appreciate that this episode was geared towards giving new viewers a good tutorial in who all the characters are, and their relationships with one another. Even the minor Hitchcock and Scully bits told us a lot about them.

Edited by Danny Franks
  • Love 1
On 1/14/2019 at 10:29 AM, Danny Franks said:

"Fun fact, the average American marriage lasts fewer than two days."

"That's not true."

"Doesn't have to be, it's commentary."

I thought she said, "It's common, Terry" indicating she already forgot Charles' name after her told her. 

Your way makes more sense.

Edited by BoogieBurns
I didn't clarify which made more sense!
8 minutes ago, BoogieBurns said:

I thought she said, "It's common, Terry" indicating she already forgot Charles' name after her told her. 

This makes more sense.

I took it to mean the other way. What passes for news or facts, isn't. It's just commentary. 

• Love 3
On 1/10/2019 at 9:20 PM, tennisgurl said:

Dont forget Jake dressing like Melvil Dewey, creator of the Dewey Decimal System! Its really doing it for Amy...

On 1/11/2019 at 6:53 PM, Irlandesa said:

He had to step down because he sexually harassed his employees and colleagues.  (Horndog implies consent which...no).  So I was a little bummed at the Dewey costume since I think Amy would care. 

I think she might, but Jake going to the trouble of dressing like him would make her VERY happy before she thought about the #MeToo implications.

On 1/11/2019 at 4:32 PM, Colorado David said:

this. it's like Parks and Rec at 1.25 speed with the joke speed.

And kinder.  P & M was a mean show, and even Gina never sinks to its level.

1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

How was Parks and Rec "mean?"

I didn't watch much and the last episode I saw ("Sister City")  was a while back, but I recall Ron Swanson being nothing but mean, and the episode mentioned was making a fool of the Venezuelans (treating them as know-nothing yahoos).  It was so bad, I had to go to Wikipedia to get the details!

On 1/11/2019 at 2:21 PM, festivus said:

Clearly the pineapple is the slut. <3Holt

That reminds me of a 30 Rock episode where Tracy asks Liz:

T: Hey, we're going to an animals-only strip club.  Interested?
L: Does that mean the animals strip, or the animals are the customers?
T: Animal customers??  That's ridiculous!

Oh, my beloved B99, how I've missed you!!!!!!!!!!!

• Love 1

I didn't watch much and the last episode I saw ("Sister City")  was a while back, but I recall Ron Swanson being nothing but mean, and the episode mentioned was making a fool of the Venezuelans (treating them as know-nothing yahoos). 

That's like saying Captain Holt or Rosa are "mean." It's just their tough exterior quirks. You really have to get a feel for the characters on a Michael Schur show. They are all "types" and can never be taken at face value.

• Love 4
42 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

You really have to get a feel for the characters on a Michael Schur show. 

Most of his shows, maybe (that's a good reason I don't care for The Good Place -- that and the person doing the sorting was stupid).  But I was with the characters from this show from the outset.

Plus Holt and Rosa don't bully, demean or act nasty without very good reason.

Edited by jhlipton
  • Love 2
On 1/16/2019 at 5:24 PM, iMonrey said:

That's like saying Captain Holt or Rosa are "mean." It's just their tough exterior quirks. You really have to get a feel for the characters on a Michael Schur show. They are all "types" and can never be taken at face value.

Yeah, and Ron is a parody of the stereotypical macho male neanderthal mentality so even if he did make fun of the Venezuelans, what would normally happen is they would 'one up' him by the end of the episode. 

On ‎2019‎-‎01‎-‎15 at 7:35 PM, SarahPrtr said:

That reminds me of a 30 Rock episode where Tracy asks Liz:

T: Hey, we're going to an animals-only strip club.  Interested?
L: Does that mean the animals strip, or the animals are the customers?
T: Animal customers??  That's ridiculous!

I don't understand any of that exchange. 

1 minute ago, Sandman said:

I don't understand any of that exchange. 

Oh, it was in reference to the pineapple being the slut, like, how could a piece of fruit be a slut?  Just like, how could there be such thing as a strip club where the animals could be the strippers?

• Love 1