Type keyword(s) to search

Orvillian Media: Wireless Telecommunications Facility

shapeshifter
  • Start Topic

Adrianne Palicki was recently on the Inside of You podcast and she hinted that The Orville is not coming back because it is expensive and takes too long to film on account of Seth wanting to write everything himself.

(clip should start at the part of the interview where she talks about the show)

Edited by dwmarch
  • Sad 2
  • Thanks 1
5 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

Too bad they couldn't do a movie like the Monk and Psych movies.

Or maybe Seth could open it up a little. I am hugely fond of projects like Babylon 5, for example, large swaths of the show were written by one person. But, gosh, there are more ways than one to fry a mongoose.

• Like 1

On 11/28/2023 at 11:06 PM, dwmarch said:

because it is expensive and takes too long to film on account of Seth wanting to write everything himself.

That doesn't really line up with IMDb, looks like he wrote 18 of the 36 episodes.  More than likely it's to expensive and didn't generate the ratings/money

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Like 1
7 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

That doesn't really line up with IMDb, looks like he wrote 18 of the 36 episodes.  More than likely it's to expensive and didn't generate the ratings/money

It’s pretty likely that he did extensive rewrites on the stuff that’s not credited as his. 

• Like 2
(edited)

The Orville's Scott Grimes Reportedly Dropped A Huge Update About Season 4, And I'm So Excited
By Mick Joest   August 3, 2024
https://www.cinemablend.com/streaming-news/the-orville-scott-grimes-reportedly-dropped-huge-update-season-4 

Scott Grimes recently performed a show at Star Trek Las Vegas, where stars of The Orville are often welcomed because of the similarities between the two franchises. During his performance, many like X's @Tyranicus and @ParksAndCons tweeted out that the actor made a comment about the status of his sci-fi show. Apparently, Grimes specifically claimed that Season 4 will start filming in 2025. Take a look at TrekProfiles' post:

Edited by tv echo
  • Mind Blown 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Applause 4
20 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

I just read that. I can't believe it!

I actually can believe it. Seth said a couple of years ago that he was going to try to bring it back but it might not be right away.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

I understood that all the contracts had run out, so having to re do them all I thought would have been a huge lift, with perhaps some of the actors just moving on because they have to work. 

• Fire 1
  • Useful 1

I could see them doing a version of the Orville with mostly new characters if they wanted to get around the re-signing of actors. Although I'd certainly miss some of the cast, I'm more interested in the quasi TNG universe of the Planetary Union and developing it more than in any individual characters/cast members.

• Like 1

No offense to the actors but I haven’t seen a single one of them with any sort of steady work right now. I won’t be surprised if most or all are available. 

2 hours ago, DMK said:

No offense to the actors but I haven’t seen a single one of them with any sort of steady work right now. I won’t be surprised if most or all are available. 

Seth MacFarlane is always busy,  probably doing TED Season 2.

Scott Grimes is on TED where Season 2 might be still be in production.

I thought I remembered Adrianne Palicki saying she didn't want to be on the show anymore, but I could be wrong.

• Useful 2
9 minutes ago, AnimeMania said:

I thought I remembered Adrianne Palicki saying she didn't want to be on the show anymore, but I could be wrong.

She talks about this in the video I linked to upthread. Mostly the issue for the actors on the show is that it takes a long time for Seth to write everything himself and while he's doing that, no one else is making money. Staying committed to a particular series can mean turning down other jobs (also why some of the cast of Star Trek: The Next Generation did not stick around for the entirety of that series) and in the linked interview, Adrianne mentions that some cast members were flat broke while sitting around waiting for Seth to call. Overall, I get the impression that she'd be happy to do the show but the logistical issues involved make it a real sacrifice for everyone involved.

• Useful 3
(edited)

‘Missing’ Shows, Found! The Latest on Severance, Holey Moley, Poker Face, YOU, Primo, Transplant and 25+ Others
By Matt Webb Mitovich   August 9, 2024 
https://tvline.com/lists/missing-tv-shows-renewed-cancelled/leverage-redemption-season-3/ 

THE ORVILLE (Hulu)
Last aired: Whew, where to begin…?

Season 3 aka The Orville: New Horizons streamed June 2 through Aug. 4, 2022. When TVLine spoke with series creator/star Seth MacFarlane after the finale, he said that one sticky wicket was, “How do I work it into everything else that’s now going on?” (including but not limited to his Ted series for Peacock). “I will say that I get as emotionally invested in the show as any of the fans, so I will find a way to do it if there is a Season 4.”

Craig Erwich, President, ABC Entertainment, Hulu & Disney Branded Television Streaming Originals, told TVLine in January 2023, “It’s a great show and I know that the fans loved having it back in their lives…. But we don’t have anything to share right now.” 

Current status: “All I can say is the same thing that Hulu said, which is the show is not dead,” MacFarlane told TVLine in January 2024. “Nobody has told me that it’s dead from the network, so we’re proceeding under those auspices.” Even in the wake of cast member Scott Grimes’ claim at some summer 2024 con that Season 4 is happening, there is (still) no official update.

Edited by tv echo